Spanish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Spanish

I watched the Jets-Miami game last night on the Orlando station.  (I live in Florida).  It has the score as "Jets de Nueva York" and "Dolphins de Miami" and "Futbol Americano".  Was that also the way it was on the Boston station?

Personally, I found that to be extremely bad.  This is the US, not South America!

BTW, Sprint also had a commercial in Spanish.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Spanish

I think it's National Hispanic Heritage Month. I didn't notice it during the Pats game but did notice it in the Jets/Phins game. I live in CT.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

I live in Vermont and the Spanish was being used as well, there isn't a Hispanic person in the entire state.....not there's anything wrong with that...KIDDING JUST KIDDING

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Spanish:
    [QUOTE]I watched the Jets-Miami game last night on the Orlando station.  (I live in Florida).  It has the score as "Jets de Nueva York" and "Dolphins de Miami" and "Futbol Americano".  Was that also the way it was on the Boston station? Personally, I found that to be extremely bad.  This is the US, not South America! BTW, Sprint also had a commercial in Spanish.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

Yup, Same way everywhere..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Spanish:
    [QUOTE]I watched the Jets-Miami game last night on the Orlando station.  (I live in Florida).  It has the score as "Jets de Nueva York" and "Dolphins de Miami" and "Futbol Americano".  Was that also the way it was on the Boston station? Personally, I found that to be extremely bad.  This is the US, not South America! BTW, Sprint also had a commercial in Spanish.

Hey Shel! how is it hanging? Long time no post. I live in the Philly area and the same thing was on there. Kind of threw me for a loop for a second....then I took a sip of LaBatt's Ice.....and everything returned to normal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

thank you I thought I was the only one who saw that and that maybe i drank too many beers last night

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The NFL and networks are always looking to expand their viewer base. Considering the growing amount of Spanish speakers in the US and the possiblity of broadcasting to Latin America ( maybe they already do ) it doesn't surprise me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Spanish heritage  month. Just a tip of the cap to Latino viewers. I thought it was kind of cool once I noticed it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: Spanish:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Spanish : Hey Shel! how is it hanging? Long time no post. I live in the Philly area and the same thing was on there. Kind of threw me for a loop for a second....then I took a sip of LaBatt's Ice.....and everything returned to normal.
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's been a while.  I have been rather busy.  The game was broadcast on your local tv?  I saw it because I bought a slingbox and have it in my son's house in Billerica.  I then watch it by getting it on my laptop and having an HDMI cable into by big screen TV.  Not HD, but certainly watchable.

This Spanish thing really irritates me.  One of the strengths of this country is that we have a single language -- English.  I have nothing against any ethnicity's heritage, but if you decide to move here, learn English!!!!

I am all for ESL classes in schools.  I am dead set against bi-lingual education.  It is the sure road to division among US citizens.  We are a melting pot.  The language of that pot is ENGLISH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm assuming it was the same everywhere.

I watched it from way the hell up here in Vancouver and the graphics were the same, although I never did hear an explanation as to why during the broadcast.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, how bout this:

Patrioticos de Nueva Inglaterra

they've been doing a Futbol Americana night game in maimi, texas or california for the past few years

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

the also has a verizon ad in spanish

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Yes, it's been a while.  I have been rather busy.  The game was broadcast on your local tv?  I saw it because I bought a slingbox and have it in my son's house in Billerica.  I then watch it by getting it on my laptop and having an HDMI cable into by big screen TV.  Not HD, but certainly watchable. This Spanish thing really irritates me.  One of the strengths of this country is that we have a single language -- English.  I have nothing against any ethnicity's heritage, but if you decide to move here, learn English!!!! I am all for ESL classes in schools.  I am dead set against bi-lingual education.  It is the sure road to division among US citizens.  We are a melting pot.  The language of that pot is ENGLISH.

It was broadcast on national (not nationally owned) television, by NBC, a private company who can do whatever they want.  Miami is a team that has brought in high profile latino part owners in an attempt to get more Latino fans in the stands, since so many people in the area are from the north.  Both things are good reasons to broadcast in the language most comfortable to their target audience.  
    Separate point, in the Federal Republic of Germany they require ALL students to take English through the secondary level.  Why?  They feel English is widely spoken, and IMPORTANT.  We do not require this in our country, even though spanish is spoken by something like 12 percent of the population here.  I'm all for making English the official language of America (currently we have no official language) but I also am against some campaign of stamping out any use of peoples native language.  I know everyone uses the "my grandparents were from __________ and they had to learn english"  but the truth is MANY MANY MANY of them didn't learn it, or learned very little.  They suffered because of it, but no one threw them out.  They did what non english speakers today do, they stay among their own people where they can speak and function freely.  
    Not talking about you here, but I am a bit alarmed about the tenor of conversation in this country about immigrants and foreigners.  Its getting a bit ugly.  Most of us came from immigrants at some point.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In fact, my grandfather snuck over the border from Canada.  He snuck in there from Ireland.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Spanish:

What next? Are the black players going to bother you because this is North America, not Africa? 

Grab a chill pill, Rush Limbaugh. It was to honor HHM from a city that is predominantly Hispanic and a team with a Hispanic QB. You act like the announcers only broadcasted in Spanish. No idea why this bothered you so much. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'd like to know Who's in charge of giving away months?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to know Who's in charge of giving away months?
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

i agree i'll be glad when we have european heritage month, oh wait a minute that's what octoberfest is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Spanish : You are mistaken. You do not live in the United States you live in Florida, (I know, I live in Naples).
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

that bad, huh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : that bad, huh
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Tried to delete my post but you caught me. Yeah, for me it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

i agree i'll be glad when we have european heritage month, oh wait a minute that's what octoberfest is.

Actually, Oktoberfest is just Munchens (Munichs) thing.  Fest season kicks off right after Lent ends and runs through summer up until it ends in October.  Most are held before September.  I used to find the different towns where they were having them, you can easily hit up 20 or so if you keep moving. Fasching season starts around November and runs up to Lent. Its like indoor drunken halloween.  For a bunch of super neat freaks, they sure can roll out the party.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Yes it was because of the National Hispanic Heritage Month. I´m from México, and there are some things you have to know... NFL is a big, big thing here in my country... And not a new one. The two major Tv Station have been broadcasting the NFL since the 70`s. The average TV raiting for an NFL game is about 6.7 millions of viewers Any given sunday you can watch up to 5 games plus the monday night one. The most loved teams in méxico are by far the Steelers, niners and Cowboys. The dolphins have also a huge fan base here. There´s a movie theater calles "multi-cinemas" that shows the monday night game... its awesome to watch it there.   The patriots have a regular fan base here.  LOS PATRIOTAS DE NUEVA INGLATERRA is the correct name for our team in Spanish... some other football translations would be QUARTERBACK: MARISCAL DE CAMPO HALFBACK: CORREDOR WIDE RECEIVER: RECEPTOR ABIERTO TOUCHDOWN: ANOTACIÓN FIELD GOAL: GOL DE CAMPO FIRST DOWN: PRIMERO Y DIEZ CATCH: ATRAPADA by the way sheldong, the last time i checked the map Canada, the USA and México are part of north America, then there is central America, and then south America. ok? its a common mistake. In 2012 there will be up to 51. 4 millions of latinos living in your country plus some big names in the league have spanish heritage like Tony Romo, Mark Sanchez, Knowshon Moreno, the great Anthony Muñoz (retired) the two times superbowl winner Jim Plunkett was born in Mexico, Dominic Rhodes Rodríguez was adopted by a mexican couple, Daniel Sepulveda steelers K. Tom Flores Raiders coach, won a SB. in fact he was the first coach to be part of a "minority" to win one.  because Ziggy Hood´s grandmother is mexican, OUR VERY OWN Aaron Hernandez, Raúl Allegre punter and kicker won a SB with bill parcels, Greg Camarillo´s father is mexican. Tony Casillas Defensive lineman for dallas is also mexican. to name a few... so lets face it, football is a global game now. Tons of mexican colleges have a football program now, there a college league at a national level that is pretty competitive.   GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this informative post.  It's good to know the NFL has fans elsewhere.  I hope the Patriots become the most popular team in Mexico! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

O'Bummer has to make all those illegals taking over our country feel welcome. He needs their support.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]O'Bummer has to make all those illegals taking over our country feel welcome. He needs their support.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

God, I hope you're kidding. =D

This started a while ago, like 2006. Who was the president in 2006? =D 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]Yes it was because of the National Hispanic Heritage Month. I´m from México, and there are some things you have to know... NFL is a big, big thing here in my country... And not a new one. The two major Tv Station have been broadcasting the NFL since the 70`s. The average TV raiting for an NFL game is about 6.7 millions of viewers Any given sunday you can watch up to 5 games plus the monday night one. The most loved teams in méxico are by far the Steelers, niners and Cowboys. The dolphins have also a huge fan base here. There´s a movie theater calles "multi-cinemas" that shows the monday night game... its awesome to watch it there.   The patriots have a regular fan base here.  LOS PATRIOTAS DE NUEVA INGLATERRA is the correct name for our team in Spanish... some other football translations would be QUARTERBACK: MARISCAL DE CAMPO HALFBACK: CORREDOR WIDE RECEIVER: RECEPTOR ABIERTO TOUCHDOWN: ANOTACIÓN FIELD GOAL: GOL DE CAMPO FIRST DOWN: PRIMERO Y DIEZ CATCH: ATRAPADA by the way sheldong, the last time i checked the map Canada, the USA and México are part of north America, then there is central America, and then south America. ok? its a common mistake. In 2012 there will be up to 51. 4 millions of latinos living in your country plus some big names in the league have spanish heritage like Tony Romo, Mark Sanchez, Knowshon Moreno, the great Anthony Muñoz (retired) the two times superbowl winner Jim Plunkett was born in Mexico, Dominic Rhodes Rodríguez was adopted by a mexican couple, Daniel Sepulveda steelers K. Tom Flores Raiders coach, won a SB. in fact he was the first coach to be part of a "minority" to win one.  because Ziggy Hood´s grandmother is mexican, OUR VERY OWN Aaron Hernandez, Raúl Allegre punter and kicker won a SB with bill parcels, Greg Camarillo´s father is mexican. Tony Casillas Defensive lineman for dallas is also mexican. to name a few... so lets face it, football is a global game now. Tons of mexican colleges have a football program now, there a college league at a national level that is pretty competitive.   GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

You are not following what I was saying.  (BTW, when I said South America, I knew about the rest.  It was shorthand for Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries -- and Puerto Rico).

I have absolutely NO problem with 50+ million USA citizens having latino background.  Our country is one of immigrants and I, myself, am the second generation born in this country.  What I have a MAJOR problem with is the pandering by using any other language than English here in this country (except in certain places like airports, hospitals, and the like).  All other ethnic groups that emigrated to the US learned English -- or at least their children did and spoke it as their FIRST language.  As I also said I support ESL classes to help them learn English.  I just object to subjects being taught in anything OTHER than English.

Now for the broadcast.  I am sure that the stations broadcasting it in Mexico were using Spanish not only in the signs but also had Spanish speaking announcers.  No problem with that at all.  I just object to Spanish signs on an English speaking station.  If I wanted Spanish signs -- and commercials -- I would switch to a Spanish channel (which I also don't have a problem with).

In short, if you decide to move to the US, learn the language, accept our customs, and still hold on to and be proud of your heritage.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]O'Bummer has to make all those illegals taking over our country feel welcome. He needs their support.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

It was Dubya (Ugh!) who started the major pandering to the hispanics.  He made a point of being fluent in Spanish.  Too bad he couldn't speak English (nuke-you-lar rather than nuke-lee-are).