Spanish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Re: Spanish

In Response to Re: Spanish:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Yes, it's been a while.  I have been rather busy.  The game was broadcast on your local tv?  I saw it because I bought a slingbox and have it in my son's house in Billerica.  I then watch it by getting it on my laptop and having an HDMI cable into by big screen TV.  Not HD, but certainly watchable. This Spanish thing really irritates me.  One of the strengths of this country is that we have a single language -- English.  I have nothing against any ethnicity's heritage, but if you decide to move here, learn English!!!! I am all for ESL classes in schools.  I am dead set against bi-lingual education.  It is the sure road to division among US citizens.  We are a melting pot.  The language of that pot is ENGLISH.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

Here is where you are dead WRONG as well as naive and ignorant. America is NOT a melting pot. Maybe back 60 years ago it was but it certainly is not now in 2010. The definition of "melting pot" is a total blending of all cultures and ethnicities. That "let's all be the same" mentality is dated to say the least. What America is now, for lack of a better analogy, is like a salad. A whole bunch of diverse ingredients that are different but still part of the "whole". THAT my ignorant friend is what makes Amarica great. Diverse cultures, religions, languages, food all living under one umbrella. Come out of the dark ages will you??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

when they start printing roadsigns in Spanish I'm screwed*

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]i agree i'll be glad when we have european heritage month, oh wait a minute that's what octoberfest is. Actually, Oktoberfest is just Munchens (Munichs) thing.  Fest season kicks off right after Lent ends and runs through summer up until it ends in October.  Most are held before September.  I used to find the different towns where they were having them, you can easily hit up 20 or so if you keep moving. Fasching season starts around November and runs up to Lent. Its like indoor drunken halloween.  For a bunch of super neat freaks, they sure can roll out the party.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

My buddy is over there now for the festival kickoff in Munich.  It is the 200th anniversary(so he tells me).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : How about Super Hot Girl's month?
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

chamn, that's what i'm talking about broLaughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE] Actually, Oktoberfest is just Munchens (Munichs) thing.  Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

i've been to Munich during Oktoberfest. We went on a school field trip back in 1972, visited the Olympic site, Dachua and the fabled Hofbrau Haus-first time i ever had a brew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

My guess is that ESPN did that because it would help their bottom line.

It's still a free market system out there, at least where I operate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Tcal2, how about posting the runner up of Super Hot Girl month?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I'm assuming it was the same everywhere. I watched it from way the hell up here in Vancouver and the graphics were the same, although I never did hear an explanation as to why during the broadcast.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

They have tv/cable/satellite in Vancouver?Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Spanish:
    [QUOTE]I watched the Jets-Miami game last night on the Orlando station.  (I live in Florida).  It has the score as "Jets de Nueva York" and "Dolphins de Miami" and "Futbol Americano".  Was that also the way it was on the Boston station? Personally, I found that to be extremely bad.  This is the US, not South America! BTW, Sprint also had a commercial in Spanish.

Amen, brother!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Spanish :      Amen, brother!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

=D 

A Texan that doesn't like Mexicans. Talk about a stereotype. =D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

In Response to Spanish:
    [QUOTE]I watched the Jets-Miami game last night on the Orlando station.  (I live in Florida).  It has the score as "Jets de Nueva York" and "Dolphins de Miami" and "Futbol Americano".  Was that also the way it was on the Boston station? Personally, I found that to be extremely bad.  This is the US, not South America! BTW, Sprint also had a commercial in Spanish.

Unfortunately I'm afraid it is only going to get worse.  We are on our way to becoming the biggest third world country ever.
     Thanks elected officials.   Arizona has the right idea. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : It was broadcast on national (not nationally owned) television, by NBC, a private company who can do whatever they want.  Miami is a team that has brought in high profile latino part owners in an attempt to get more Latino fans in the stands, since so many people in the area are from the north.  [/QUOTE]

Because that strategy worked so well in the past for example with the Marlins? They thought that the stands would be filled with Spanish people because they all love baseball. They forgot that most of them are too poor to buy tickets, even though they are priced really cheap compared to other cities, so nobody attends Marlins games. They compound this issue by using the tax payers money to build a new stadium that will also be empty, even with a sucessful franchise just north of them in  Tampa calling fans out for not attending games during a pennant race. If the fans have no money, why are they going to magically appear now?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Looks like someone complained about the Hot girl images.  I better check to see if I got banned over this. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like someone complained about the Hot girl images.  I better check to see if I got banned over this. 
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]...Not me...wow. You're still here. It was Rusty...He's back in his cave with his BB blow up doll as we speak

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Here is where you are dead WRONG as well as naive and ignorant. America is NOT a melting pot. Maybe back 60 years ago it was but it certainly is not now in 2010. The definition of "melting pot" is a total blending of all cultures and ethnicities. That "let's all be the same" mentality is dated to say the least. What America is now, for lack of a better analogy, is like a salad. A whole bunch of diverse ingredients that are different but still part of the "whole". THAT my ignorant friend is what makes Amarica great. Diverse cultures, religions, languages, food all living under one umbrella. Come out of the dark ages will you??
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

Tell me where I insulted you or anyone else.  There is no need to start insulting.  As for intelligence, I would have that fight with you but I don't fight with a handicapped person.  You don't understand the meaning of melting pot.  It is a gathering from all over and they all bring their own flavors to the mix.  In the end you have one whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.  That is why you maintain your culture and take pride in it.  However, there is one common LANGUAGE.  That, and only that, is what I am talking about.

You, sir, are the typical ugly American stereotype.  You would move to say, Germany, and expect everyone there to speak English to you rather than you putting out the effort to learn the language of the country to which you are moving, German.

OK, now you have turned this into an ad hominem (look it up if you have to  in www.m-w.com) sequence.  I won't participate with you any further because I am going back to your post and putting you on my ignore list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

When they broadcast the games in spanish do you think the announcers yell-
    Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Tell me where I insulted you or anyone else.  There is no need to start insulting.  As for intelligence, I would have that fight with you but I don't fight with a handicapped person.  You don't understand the meaning of melting pot.  It is a gathering from all over and they all bring their own flavors to the mix.  In the end you have one whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.  That is why you maintain your culture and take pride in it.  However, there is one common LANGUAGE.  That, and only that, is what I am talking about. You, sir, are the typical ugly American stereotype.  You would move to say, Germany, and expect everyone there to speak English to you rather than you putting out the effort to learn the language of the country to which you are moving, German. OK, now you have turned this into an ad hominem (look it up if you have to  in www.m-w.com) sequence.  I won't participate with you any further because I am going back to your post and putting you on my ignore list.

Your definition of melting pot is off the mark. What is the definition of "melt"?? It's a blending of ingredients or components if you will to form ONE mixture that is homogeneous. Melting pot was just that..numerous cultures coming together, blending and then losing their own distinct "flavors". Today, you have a completely different scenario. Cultures come together in the "pot" that is this country but there IS NOT homogeneous blending. There is MUCH more cultural diversity than there was in the early days of immigration. Who's ignorant here???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Your definition of melting pot is off the mark. What is the definition of "melt"?? It's a blending of ingredients or components if you will to form ONE mixture that is homogeneous. Melting pot was just that..numerous cultures coming together, blending and then losing their own distinct "flavors". Today, you have a completely different scenario. Cultures come together in the "pot" that is this country but there IS NOT homogeneous blending. There is MUCH more cultural diversity than there was in the early days of immigration. Who's ignorant here???
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

Whether  the pot is melting, boiling or whatever, it has long been over flowing.  Long past due to stop adding more ingredients.  Viva Arizona!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPathetic. Show TexasPathetic's posts

I live in Mexico and it was in English...go figure, it's National American Heritage Month here!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

[QUOTE]When they broadcast the games in spanish do you think the announcers yell- Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]

No but they do say "field GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAALLLLLLLL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : Whether  the pot is melting, boiling or whatever, it has long been over flowing.  Long past due to stop adding more ingredients.  Viva Arizona!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by steelerjim58[/QUOTE]

most nationalities from Irish to Chinese have been discriminated against in this country. we need to move past the thinking of "he ain't like me"  bigotry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spanish : most nationalities from Irish to Chinese have been discriminated against in this country. we need to move past the thinking of "he ain't like me"  bigotry.
    Posted by harleyroadking[/QUOTE
    ]
    I absolutely agree. 

Now the Irish already spoke English and the Chinese learned English, as well as the Poles, the Russians, the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Japanese, the Italians, the Greeks, etc. etc. etc.

Having a common language -- ONE language -- is a very positive unifying factor for a nation.   What is discriminatory about having ONE national language?  Is not bending over backwards to accommodate their lack of interest in learning the language of the country that THEY decided to move to in any way discriminatory?  Since when is treating everyone the same discriminatory?

I say treat everyone with the same respect.  However, they came here so let them learn OUR language rather than burdening us with a requirement to accommodate everything in their language. 

BTW, those accommodations aren't cheap.  Look at the extra cost involved in having bilingual classes.  Look at the extra cost in preparing legal documents in more than one language (and making sure that the inflections of the words transmit the same message).  But cost is not my main concern, though it is a concern.  My main concern is that we lose the unifying aspect of being able to go anywhere in this country and not have a language problem because English is everywhere.

I joke about this, but there is truth to it.  When I had to leave Massachusetts (the depression of 2001 and on), I took a job in North Miami Beach.  I moved to Ft. Lauderdale.  When I moved to central Florida three years later, I joked about moving back to the United States.  In the Miami area English is effectively a second language to Spanish.    Everyone fully understands that joke.

Note:  My objection is not the the people nor to their cultures.  My objection is their insistence that we accommodate them by using their language rather than requiring those immigrants to learn OUR language.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

if one nationality is titled to a "month" than all nationalitys should be entitled to a month like the chinese,irish,italian,japanese,portugese,greek, etc, i just dont think we have enuff months to hand out lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like someone complained about the Hot girl images.  I better check to see if I got banned over this. 
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, looks like it got deleted. i guess we can't start a best looking cheerleader thread either, shoot.

why are some men so snesitive about hot girls?

Sections
Shortcuts