Speaking of rule interpretations..... Broncos - Colts game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Speaking of rule interpretations..... Broncos - Colts game.

How many of you watched the Broncos - Colts game last night?  Quite the show and it certainly looked like the Broncos were going to make a comeback, anyway....

How many of you noticed the PI call made against the Colts, I believe in late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter?  On that call, I saw the Colts DB had his back to the receiver, backpedaling, looking back for the ball, the receiver reached up over the DB for the ball and the DB gets called for the PI.  Later in the game, I saw an identical play in which the roles were reversed.  It was a Colts receiver in which the DB was looking back for the ball and the Colts receiver tried to go over the DB to catch the ball.  NO FLAG!!  Hmmmm... why the double standard?  I won't venture a quess ( in favor of the usual suspect ) and let this discussion play out the interpretations...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Speaking of rule interpretations..... Broncos - Colts game.

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many of you watched the Broncos - Colts game last night?  Quite the show and it certainly looked like the Broncos were going to make a comeback, anyway....

How many of you noticed the PI call made against the Colts, I believe in late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter?  On that call, I saw the Colts DB had his back to the receiver, backpedaling, looking back for the ball, the receiver reached up over the DB for the ball and the DB gets called for the PI.  Later in the game, I saw an identical play in which the roles were reversed.  It was a Colts receiver in which the DB was looking back for the ball and the Colts receiver tried to go over the DB to catch the ball.  NO FLAG!!  Hmmmm... why the double standard?  I won't venture a quess ( in favor of the usual suspect ) and let this discussion play out the interpretations...

[/QUOTE]

Saw that. It was a ridiculous PI call. DB was going for the ball all the time. Repalcement refs would have been bashed if they made those calls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I saw it Bill.  Curious, isn't it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

The NFL is starting to look like the NBA. Total joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Yes, it is beginning to look like NFL wants the Horsehead/horseface to go out in a blaze of glory so that he can be annointed the almighty God for eternity, to be worshipped by all broadcasters and scribes!  Get real, guys.  These calls generally even out, and Broncos lost, in case this little fact was missed.

Red Sox 2013 ALCS Champion, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You know, it's really hard to always comment on stuff like around here.  We'll get the Jets , Giants or Gommer fans that say we're always whinning,  what about Spygate or come up with some other remark (or insult) .  I'm glad it's you Bill that bring this up , one of the most reasonable posters on here. 

There's just no hiding it, Broncos are the nice story to go to the Superbowl and therefore some favorism wil be showed their way. Funny it used to be the Colts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I posted about the penalty yesterday - if if that was Jugheads broncos in the same play we still would never heard of 913b

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

ccsjl...  I brought it up here because it DID NOT involve the Pats and was observed in a game in which the connection is P Manning was the QB for one of the two teams.  It has been said a lot here and elsewhere..   Manning gets more borderline PI calls, at least it appears so, than most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

My feeling is that if refs want to make calls early to set the bar for what they will and will not tolerate I am fine with it.  In any sport I am fine with it as long as the rules are consistently applied.  Strike zone - big or small - fine, just be consistent.  Pass Interference - fine, just call it both ways and fairly.  Moving picks, slap fouls in basketball?  Gotcha - tell us how physical we can be.  

I am not a conspiracy theorist and I don't think the Jets were handed a victory they didn't deserve.  But to make that call in overtime on a FG try that was nowhere near a gimme is a bit much.  Is that the first time that particular call had been made, and is it the first time all day on either side that someone "broke the rules" in that manner?  The refs could call a penalty on just about every play if they wanted, but that call at that particular time is mind boggling - interpretation of the rule notwithstanding.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Cables.. it would be interesting if anyone who DVR'd the game would observe the previous plays for all the PATs and FG attempts and see if the samething happened on them with no call.

As noted for PI calls, it is a consistent observation that similar "jousting" between a defender and the receiver do not always get the PI call.  Either call it or let it go throughout the game for similar hand slapping etc.  You can see the receiver extend arms to slap down the defenders arms from making a play on the ball, but, when the defender does same, PI call.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What I saw in that game was the last drive by the Broncos where Wes made two great catches. There was two plays in a row that one reciever made every attempt to pick Wes' DB. It was so damn obvious and right in front of the linesman it was ridiculous.

And as far as calls totally amazed that if the refs were told about the pushing play before the season and none were called and then told again this past week. Then in all games this weekend it was only called once when you could see it on many PATS this weekend jus amazed me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ccsjl...  I brought it up here because it DID NOT involve the Pats and was observed in a game in which the connection is P Manning was the QB for one of the two teams.  It has been said a lot here and elsewhere..   Manning gets more borderline PI calls, at least it appears so, than most.

[/QUOTE]

Well Seahawks fans would argue that Big Ben got his too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The nfl has problems with their rules

I have said b4 that when the ball hits the defender in the back , before he has contact with the receiver, that that should not be PI. We have seen in the past where a wr can turn and cause contact on balls he could not catch and get the call

It happened to the Pats in a playoff game? Or a game against the colts

We also saw in a playoff game that a Pat did not touch the wr and put his hands up and he was called for face guarding, which was no longer a penalty, nor should it be. I remember cause Phil Simms got the call wrong

The nfl is far far far away from being perfect and sometimes just plain stupid and then we have the shield defenders at all costs like deirdorkdeirdork

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The obvious thing that Denver does are the pick plays. They do it all game long but never get called for it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Colts flagged for PI??? Its obvious Polian is long gone. While he was there in 06 and 07 the Colts team did nt get a single PI call against them.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I dont take the NFL seriously anymore. The calls are too arbitrary. Sure, it effects all teams but too many outcomes are being effected by the referees. 

Furthermore, IMO, it is not worth the risk to try to build exceptional championship teams vs simply building good teams year after year. The injury factor combined with the uncertainty of refereeing and the risk of salary cap hell puts teams at risk with little recompense. Better to build good teams that do well each year. 

Sections
Shortcuts