Spikes As Good As Gone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

Spikes As Good As Gone?

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2014/03/03/patriots-lb-brandon-spikes-future-new-england-seems/#sthash.5X8DRTgl.dpbs

"The future of Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has been pondered for a while now as the linebacker finished out his final season under his existing deal. Unfortunately now as he gets set to become a free agent, it’s sounding more and more like he’ll be suiting up for someone else next season. According to the Boston Herald’s Jeff Howe, the Patriots haven’t spoken with Spikes’ camp about a new deal so far this offseason, so clearly he doesn’t seem to be a priority at this point. That will likely mean he’ll hit free agency when it opens on March 11th, and barring a change the odds are he may end up wearing someone else’s uniform next season. The 26-year old former 2nd round pick out of Florida in 2010 has made a reputation for himself thanks to his physical play and his fiery attitude over the course of his brief career here in New England, which certainly gave the defense a terrific presence inside and a popular guy in the locker room. However, Spikes has also received a lot of criticism for his limited ability in pass coverage and the additions of rookie linebacker Jamie Collins in the draft last offseason and Dont’a Hightower the year before would make you wonder if the team is instead looking for more athletic players at linebacker and perhaps Bill Belichick doesn’t feel as though Spikes fits the mold of what they’re looking for moving forward defensively. Either way, the fact the two sides haven’t even spoken at this point regarding a new deal isn’t a good sign. Unfortunately it may mean we’ll see someone else wearing #55 when the team eventually opens the 2014 season. - See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2014/03/03/patriots-lb-brandon-spikes-future-new-england-seems/#sthash.5X8DRTgl.dpuf"

--------------

It isn't completely over for him as a Patriot.  I'm sure they're going to let him stew for a little while, see what free agents are available, and what happens during the draft.

One thing for sure - we need someone who can create turnovers and hit like a ton of bricks. We need an intimidator on defense who will make opponents scared to get hit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Spikes As Good As Gone?

eh no need for the thread haha this guy was gone the moment he was Ir'ed for missing practice (or he was injured as russ still claims)

no chance

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yep...buh-bye..one of BB's "I don't want you here" guys....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I thought it was clear he was gone when the season ended with him on I/R.

Not only do they already have his replacement but they dont even like him. They can barely sign the guys they DO like this offseason so NO, I dont see him wearing a pats uni unless Im watching old DVR games or he comes back in 4 years under new management which is highly doubtful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think the team has any interest in bringing him back even if the price was right, the guy is an attitude problem, he was ir'd for a reason last year and wasn't because he was injured. I think Belichick has had more than enough of this guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

He'll be playing for someone else next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

... and their problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

You guys are probably right.  I guess Hightower is his replacement for next year - and hopefully, Collins can be moved around to get pressure on opposing QBs.  Collins had one breakout game last year.  Would love to see that happen more consistently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:

You guys are probably right.  I guess Hightower is his replacement for next year - and hopefully, Collins can be moved around to get pressure on opposing QBs.  Collins had one breakout game last year.  Would love to see that happen more consistently.

I thought from week 12 he was pretty good and progressed as he got more playing time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I thought from week 12 he was pretty good and progressed as he got more playing time.

Definitely.  At times he was the Pats best defensive player out there during that period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

True. The people in our section at the games were mentioning that Collins would be the SS that the Pats are looking for. Good athlete, can cover tight ends in the end zone with his exceptional leaping ability, which he does anyway playing LB. Good idea for BB to toy with in Practice. Need to see more of his open field tackling technique.

Have a good night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Pepper Johnson jr. you mean...?

when Belichick IR'd Spikes ...  he lost 2 Linebackers.   (one was a coach...)   ooops.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Pepper Johnson jr. you mean...?

when Belichick IR'd Spikes ...  he lost 2 Linebackers.   (one was a coach...)   ooops.

haha....true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

and the run defence becometh worseth

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

true, but it's still off-season and the Patriots have time to add depth.  Getting Mayo back will help. Maybe Hightower will step up and help the run defense, and Collins will become the player that can make things happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

true, but it's still off-season and the Patriots have time to add depth.  Getting Mayo back will help. Maybe Hightower will step up and help the run defense, and Collins will become the player that can make things happen.

True. The mayo, Hightower, Collins lb trio is top 5 in the nfl. They need depth. I am not sold on fletcher, and curious to see what Stevie B can do. Lb really is a low priority. They need to revamp the DL and sure up S, decide on Talib or another vet At cb. 

Sections
Shortcuts