Spikes Bigger Impact Than Mayo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Re: Spikes Bigger Impact Than Mayo?

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

Russ still thinks the pats made the right pick when they took Chad Jackson.

Umm, I do not like SEC offensive players with how they translate to NFL teams, especially our offense, so no. That's impossible. Never liked the pick at the time at all.

You just worry about how your franchise is rebuilding and in so many recent drafts, brought in very limited talent.

How is Hughes doing? Is Ugoh still in the league? Is Mike Hart your RB? lol

I could go on and on and on.

What about Kevin Faulk, queenie? What about Ridley? Isn't Mallett supposed to be worth a top 5 pick according to you? Bwhaha

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

For the 2012 regular season Mayo had a snap count of 1047 (vs. 721 for Spikes)

Mayo             Spikes*

tackles                     88                 82.8

assists                     59                 50.8

Sacks                      3                   1.45

Forced Fumbles        4                   7.25

*projected if Spikes played the same number of snaps.

Of course, we can't really control for the type of play (pass vs. run or by down). But, on the surface, Spikes might be considered more of an impact player because of his hard hitting style - and forced fumbles; which can result in the Patriots recovering the ball.

The bolded portion is exactly what is wrong with this argument.  You can't assume that Spikes can play the number of snaps as Mayo precisely because he isn't as good.  More importantly the plays Spikes comes off for are less likely to result in fumbles or tackles because they are passing downs so you can't just extrapolate the same rate stats for those hypothetical additional snaps.  It's the same reason you can't look at sacks for a situational pass rusher and then assume if he played 3 downs his sack totals would increase proportionally.

Mayo is a far superior LB, but don't take my word for it.  Take the sportswriters and fans who have voted Mayo to the pro bowl and to a 1st team all pro team.  Take Bill Belichick's.  He thought Mayo was worth a lucrative extension.  Somehow I don't see Spikes commanding that kind of money.

TCal called Mayo a bust, though. So, he thinks you're wrong.

I don't think anyone heard you queenie. You might as well try saying it a 4th time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Would be interested to compare their numbers to, let's say Bruschi and Ted Johnson. Mebbe will do that later...

I'm guessing Mayo's numbers are better than Bruschis for things like tackles and assists, but the timliness of Bruschi's FF and INTs stick out...for me. don't know the numbers yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Spikes is a nice player and has definitely gotten better since he was drafted, but Mayo is far and away the best LB on this team.

Tcal disagrees. In fact, he called Mayo a bust.

[/QUOTE]

Mayo is a top 10 BUST.  Live with it Farmer Ted.  His production, without the aide of the Tackle Assist numbers, is putrid and he covers like a broken condom.  He was so bad inside they had to move him outside where he was worse.  Mayo and Spikes are both on their final contracts in New England.  Hightower, Jones and Collins.  That's the ticket.

The other 3 shlubs are the reason why we have had a historically awful Defense for so many years now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Mayo is a top 10 BUST.  Live with it Farmer Ted.  His production, without the aide of the Tackle Assist numbers, is putrid and he covers like a broken condom.  He was so bad inside they had to move him outside where he was worse.  Mayo and Spikes are both on their final contracts in New England.  Hightower, Jones and Collins.  That's the ticket.

The other 3 shlubs are the reason why we have had a historically awful Defense for so many years now.

No a top 10 bust would be Darren McFadden, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Sedrick Ellis, Derrick Harvey or Keith Rivers.  Want to know who they were?  All guys picked before Mayo in 2008.  I don't understand why you hate Mayo so much.  The guy was first team all-pro in 2010 and you act like he is some JAG.  I mean christ he was ranked as a top 100 player (62) by his peers (you know the guys he plays against and see him on the field) after the 2010 season.  Hell even the BB the GM haters acknowledge he knows how to judge talent once he gets to coach someone and he gave Mayo a lucrative extension.  I guess Belichick, the sports media, the NFL players and all the fans that disagree with you are all idiots though...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

LOL. Thought you would eventually chime in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]  Mayo is a top 10 BUST.  Live with it Farmer Ted.  His production, without the aide of the Tackle Assist numbers, is putrid and he covers like a broken condom.  He was so bad inside they had to move him outside where he was worse.  Mayo and Spikes are both on their final contracts in New England.  Hightower, Jones and Collins.  That's the ticket.

No a top 10 bust would be Darren McFadden, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Sedrick Ellis, Derrick Harvey or Keith Rivers.  Want to know who they were?  All guys picked before Mayo in 2008.  I don't understand why you hate Mayo so much.  The guy was first team all-pro in 2010 and you act like he is some JAG.  I mean christ he was ranked as a top 100 player (62) by his peers (you know the guys he plays against and see him on the field) after the 2010 season.  Hell even the BB the GM haters acknowledge he knows how to judge talent once he gets to coach someone and he gave Mayo a lucrative extension.  I guess Belichick, the sports media, the NFL players and all the fans that disagree with you are all idiots though...

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why so many love him.  He's never made a big play in crunch time or owned a game.  He completely disappeared the last 6 games of last season.  The above stats show he's as replaceable as Spikes.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to worship blowup dolls of average players or feel compelled to call a player great simply because the mob feels that way.  We have one great player on Defense and his name is Vince.  Hopefully Hightower, Jones and Collins will play at a level this year that will remind everyone of the glory days of the Super Bowl years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I may not agree with Tcal totally but pointing to the fact that BB extended him may not be the best barometer for measuring a player. How many players were signed, extended here that should not have been??  I mean I can make a list, but I dont wanna be obnoxious. Just stick to pointing out pro bowls and all pro teams. btw, anyone catch that fraud Sapp this w/e, going into the hall? Last week I caught him swearing again on the nfl network and not a word from anyone. Its about how well you k*ss *ss and stay under the radar. Mayo has accolades because he goes about his job quietly, is a captain and leads the team. Doesnt mean everything he gets is warranted. Look no further than Harrison having 2 career years leading his teams to SB's and got snubbed both years by J.Lynch and B.Marion. His numbers were basically twice as good as the others and he had the hardware too. How does that happen??  oh, I know. Noone liked Rodney.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I may not agree with Tcal totally but pointing to the fact that BB extended him may not be the best barometer for measuring a player. How many players were signed, extended here that should not have been??  I mean I can make a list, but I dont wanna be obnoxious. Just stick to pointing out pro bowls and all pro teams. btw, anyone catch that fraud Sapp this w/e, going into the hall? Last week I caught him swearing again on the nfl network and not a word from anyone. Its about how well you k*ss *ss and stay under the radar. Mayo has accolades because he goes about his job quietly, is a captain and leads the team. Doesnt mean everything he gets is warranted. Look no further than Harrison having 2 career years leading his teams to SB's and got snubbed both years by J.Lynch and B.Marion. His numbers were basically twice as good as the others and he had the hardware too. How does that happen??  oh, I know. Noone liked Rodney.

Mayo may have gone about his job quietly, but I"m not sure there's proof either way that he's been a good/bad leader.  Yeah, he's captain...but so what?

Spikes shows his emotions on the field.  Tell the team doesn't get pumped up when he hammers someone and/or creates a fumble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I may not agree with Tcal totally but pointing to the fact that BB extended him may not be the best barometer for measuring a player. How many players were signed, extended here that should not have been??  I mean I can make a list, but I dont wanna be obnoxious.

I specifically mentioned that BB has a pretty good track record when it comes to signing guys who he has already coached and therefore has seen how they perform in his system and that even some of the most ardent BB the GM haters acknowledge his ability to judge talent once it is on the team.  I don't think that list is as long as you think.  The only ones that come to mind are TBC and Bodden both of whom got far less money than Mayo and Bodden's issue was injuries as opposed to talent.  I guess you could include Hernandez on that list, but he definitely didn't leave the team because of lack of talent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hightower dominated that Huston game and Talib showed what a real DB means to a defense. Great performance by the rook.  That's why he’s my breakout player for this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Top ten LBs by combined tackles. Mayo is very respectable.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES&tabSeq=1&season=2012&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&experience=&Submit=Go&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&archive=true&conference=null&qualified=true 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Nobody will ever compare his brain to Tedy's.

Maybe he's just directing traffic?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mayo             Spikes*

Of course, we can't really control for the type of play (pass vs. run or by down). But, on the surface, Spikes might be considered more of an impact player because of his hard hitting style - and forced fumbles; which can result in the Patriots recovering the ball.

There's probably a reason he played less snaps, eh?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I'll say this for the 1,000,001 time.  Combined tackles is a joke.  Scrub away the subjective assist category that is tracked by the team, which Mayo leads in by far so far it's kinda embarrassing, and he's ranked a very disappointing and pedestrian 13 in actual tackles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

Mayo             Spikes*

[/QUOTE]

of course there is. Only so many snaps to go around. But Spikes is a playmaker.  Sure, he picks the wrong hole sometimes. But he can lay the wood, and forced fumbles is a good thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^^ Oh yeah, those things they don't know how to create in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

[/QUOTE]

That's another on of those turnover thingies our D creates for our offense, leading the AFC 3 years in a row.

[/QUOTE]

Right dumbkoff, and without that their ability to stop drives would be even more mickey mouse than it is.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Top ten LBs by combined tackles. Mayo is very respectable.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES&tabSeq=1&season=2012&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&experience=&Submit=Go&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&archive=true&conference=null&qualified=true 

I'll say this for the 1,000,001 time.  Combined tackles is a joke.  Scrub away the subjective assist category that is tracked by the team, which Mayo leads in by far so far it's kinda embarrassing, and he's ranked a very disappointing and pedestrian 13 in actual tackles.

I am amused that you consider 13th out of 96-138 LBs pedestrian, but besides the point. Most LBs get tackles from running plays, hence why Jacksonville has 2 LBs in the top 10, but the worst rushing defense in the NFL last season. Teams wanted to run the ball on Jacksonville, so their LBs got more chances to make tackles. Most of those LBs have more opportunities to make more tackles,  Mayo plays in a New England defense where teams gameplanning was to pass as much as possible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    I am amused that you consider 13th out of 96-138 LBs pedestrian, but besides the point. Most LBs get tackles from running plays, hence why Jacksonville has 2 LBs in the top 10, but the worst rushing defense in the NFL last season. Teams wanted to run the ball on Jacksonville, so their LBs got more chances to make tackles. Most of those LBs have more opportunities to make more tackles,  Mayo plays in a New England defense where teams gameplanning was to pass as much as possible.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see more Patrick Willis and less Mr. Irrelevant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mayo             Spikes*

[/QUOTE]

of course there is. Only so many snaps to go around. But Spikes is a playmaker.  Sure, he picks the wrong hole sometimes. But he can lay the wood, and forced fumbles is a good thing.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. Just not enough snaps to go around eh? But somehow Mayo got a lot more of those oh so hard to come by snaps.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

^^^^ Oh yeah, those things they don't know how to create in the playoffs.

^^^^Wouldn't matter much considering Brady's picks or bad decisions.

[/QUOTE]

Oh but they WOULD dumbkoff. Unless of course somebody was so dumb as a stump as to think a couple of turnovers gained by the D couldn't alter the result of a SB lost by a last minute D collapse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I'd like to see more Patrick Willis and less Mr. Irrelevant.

If only Mayo could play like the best LB in the NFL more often.  The standard you are holding him to is ridiculous.  Sure it would be nice if he could play like Patrick Willis, but by that standard every other LB in the league is a "bust".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's another on of those turnover thingies our D creates for our offense, leading the AFC 3 years in a row.

[/QUOTE]

Right dumbkoff, and without that their ability to stop drives would be even more mickey mouse than it is.

[/QUOTE]

brady has been mickey mouse in the postseason

[/QUOTE]

Who knew Mickey Mouse has won more playoff games than any other guy in NFL history? LMAO@U

Sections
Shortcuts