Spikes Bigger Impact Than Mayo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Spikes Bigger Impact Than Mayo?

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think T-Cal is driving the anti-Mayo train but no one is getting on at the depot.  I don't know what you expect from the guy.  He is a solid, versatile LB and is the least of the problems on defense or the whole team.  With him, they have a fixture at LB, which is what first rounders are supposed to be.  Not all first rounders are perennial All-Pros or 1st ballot hall-of-famers.  In a draft re-do the year Mayo was drafted,  I am not sure there is anyone drafted after him that I would take over him. 

What is the sound of one hand clapping?  It's the sound you don't hear when Mayo makes another play and T-Cal ignores it. 

About 1/2 the boards feels the same as I do about Mayo's play over the last couple of years.  Just because 6 "Defense can do no wronger's" happen to chime in on this thread makes a majority, not.

Why would you think I want the guy to fail?  I'm not Rusty with his hatred for Brady.  I want Mayo to succeed.  In fact I hope he has the greatest year ever at the position.  I'll be the first to say That a Boy.  Four of my favorite players are 50, 52, 54 and 55.  Maybe this is why I judge Mayo hard.

You have your opinion, and that's fine.  I have plenty of opinions and I'm sure people disagree with me. But I think your expectations for a very good player - Mayo - are a bit too high.  I don't think you want him or the team to fail, but I do think you've dug in on Mayo and won't relent because somehow you expect him to be THE best LB in the NFL and nothing else is good enough.  I think you are looking for the bad plays and not thinking about everything else good he does.  That's it.  

Sorry to point you out, but I think you're clearly the Anti-Mayo leader in this place.   

I don't think we are looking for Mayo to be the best linebacker in the NFL - there was a top 100 player poll this summer voted on by NFL players - there were 15 linebackers on that list, Mayo wasn't one of them. Honestly I think that number is about right. I think he struggled playing outside last year, I watched him get blocked by third string tight ends, not get to the runner outside and look lost in coverage. That's not good enough - we paid this guy 40 million bucks to be a difference maker, not a "you can't expect him to be the best linebacker in the league" type. He had a shot to make a difference on the goal line in the AFC Championship game last year, he whiffed on Rice and he went in for the score...he does that too much for a guy that doesn't receive criticism. And I shouldn't say he doesn't receive criticism because last year they had a call up survey on 98.5 wanting to know who the most overrated player on the Pats was...Mayo got a lot of votes. I'm not looking for this guy to be Ray Lewis, I'm just looking for him to be able to cover better, make quicker decisions, tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage, intimidate someone and win a game for us when it matters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Moaners, whiners, entitled fans... hating on all of our best players, our team captain.  Jackazzes...

Just as annoying as the rose colored sunglass wearers and koolaid drinkers...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"Sorry to point you out, but I think you're clearly the Anti-Mayo leader in this place."

Think of it more as my Yin to Rusty's Yang.  We can't have someone constantly bashing our offence and its leader, especially when that leader is arguably the best to ever play the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't think we are looking for Mayo to be the best linebacker in the NFL - there was a top 100 player poll this summer voted on by NFL players - there were 15 linebackers on that list, Mayo wasn't one of them. Honestly I think that number is about right. I think he struggled playing outside last year, I watched him get blocked by third string tight ends, not get to the runner outside and look lost in coverage. That's not good enough - we paid this guy 40 million bucks to be a difference maker, not a "you can't expect him to be the best linebacker in the league" type. He had a shot to make a difference on the goal line in the AFC Championship game last year, he whiffed on Rice and he went in for the score...he does that too much for a guy that doesn't receive criticism. And I shouldn't say he doesn't receive criticism because last year they had a call up survey on 98.5 wanting to know who the most overrated player on the Pats was...Mayo got a lot of votes. I'm not looking for this guy to be Ray Lewis, I'm just looking for him to be able to cover better, make quicker decisions, tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage, intimidate someone and win a game for us when it matters.

No, not looking for Mayo to be "the best". He's still an above average LB - I would like to see more intensity from him on the field.  At one point, BB was experimenting with him in different spots to go after the QB - seemed to work well in pre-season games - but in real games - he seemed to be one step too slow.

In general, we need more impact players on defense....aka, pass rush (DE, DT,OLB) and pass defense (DBs). I'd like to see defensive play calling be more aggressive. Maybe this year, we've added enough players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

This rose colored sunglass wearer told you all that Love and Deaderick weren't good enough when most of you all stated the problem was our linebackers and cornerbacks inability to cover, both of those guys are gone now.  

Nobody has been more realistic about the abilities of certain players, a lot more realistic than the whiners who think we need All Pro caliber players at third string positions and along special teams.  The early Super Bowl winning teams we had wouldn't have won without some key contributions from the Randall Gays, Jr Redmonds, Patrick Passes, Jermaine Wiggens of the world.

Not every draft pick is going to turn into Reggie White, it doesn't mean they didn't contribute.  

Saying our defensive team captain or McCourty is the "problem" is about as dumb as it comes considering this defense has been held together with duct tape the past few years.  Put better players around these guys and watch how they magically improve, thats why it's called a team sport, their play doesn't happen in a vacuum, this isn't single's tennis, get a grip...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

All I know is that for every one play someone cites where Mayo whiffed in a game I can think of two others where he chased a RB down from behind or made a tackle.  That's what we do to very good players, we expect them to be infallible and never not make a play.  This is to say nothing of Mayo being a team captain and stabilising presence out there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This rose colored sunglass wearer told you all that Love and Deaderick weren't good enough when most of you all stated the problem was our linebackers and cornerbacks inability to cover, both of those guys are gone now.  

Nobody has been more realistic about the abilities of certain players, a lot more realistic than the whiners who think we need All Pro caliber players at third string positions and along special teams.  The early Super Bowl winning teams we had wouldn't have won without some key contributions from the Randall Gays, Jr Redmonds, Patrick Passes, Jermaine Wiggens of the world.

Not every draft pick is going to turn into Reggie White, it doesn't mean they didn't contribute.  

Saying our defensive team captain or McCourty is the "problem" is about as dumb as it comes considering this defense has been held together with duct tape the past few years.  Put better players around these guys and watch how they magically improve, thats why it's called a team sport, their play doesn't happen in a vacuum, this isn't single's tennis, get a grip...

[/QUOTE]

You missed my point sensitive boy.  I was basically saying the extremes of any subject are annoying.

Who said McCourty was the problem? I'm pretty sure that I haven't written as such. You're so sensitive....

Sections
Shortcuts