Spikes or McKenzie?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Re: Spikes or McKenzie?

I think the problem is the Pats are relying on too many rookies. Spikes and Mackenzie both have potential but are untried in the Pats D and at NFL level. BB needed/needs to bring in a veteran to help out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Cant wait to see both these players in preseason games - i think more than ever patriots fans should be interested in these preseason games. so many position battles. Between Spikes and McKenzie it will be fun to see how they match up to NFL talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

garytx  - you are dead on!  How could BB pass on Mike Oher of Ole Miss!  He would protect Brady for 10 years!  ALL pro this year, my guess.  Re McKenzie and Spikes, I think they will both get a goodly number of reps, with Guyton limited to 3rd down passing downs only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

In Response to Re: Spikes or McKenzie?:
     "McKenzie, an inside linebacker, made quite the impact on Friday at Patriots training camp when he stuffed Laurence Maroney on a goal line situation, knocking the veteran running back squarely back at the goal line and keeping him out of the end zone. " Let's not judge his performance on stuffing Laura Maroney.  The league has been doing just that for 4 years.
    Posted by Tcal2

It's still a good play, regardless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Spikes or McKenzie?:
    garytx   - you are dead on!  How could BB pass on Mike Oher of Ole Miss!  He would protect Brady for 10 years!  ALL pro this year, my guess.  Re McKenzie and Spikes, I think they will both get a goodly number of reps, with Guyton limited to 3rd down passing downs only.
    Posted by fyyankees

How could he pass on Oher? Well honestly speaking in that moment of the draft I was saying the same thing. However, the Patriots drafted Vollmer 35 or 36 picks later, saved a boat load of cash and in the same rookie season vastly outperformed Oher according to pro football focus.

In hindsight, I was wrong and the Patriots were right it seems.

That's how!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fndbkdg. Show fndbkdg's posts

mayo and Cunningham outside

mckenzie and spikes inside

3rd passing bring in guyton for mayo

Crable may be resigned for less money

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Check Reiss's blog entry on Spikes replacing Guyton during today's practice.

Spikes is becoming more impressive by the day. I wouldn't be surprised if both Spikes and Cunningham start before too long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Question is what are they going to do with Dane Fletcher, Thomas Williams and Eric Alexander who all play inside as well?

PFW stated that Fletcher was there biggest "surprise"

They also stated that Alexander sticks out more in 11 on 11 drills than others and he has made more impact plays than Mayo, Guyton and Spikes.

I have heard great things about Mackenzie though

They must have another hand to play...........??? either they have some knowledge that burgess is comming back or something else is in the works.

As we've all suggestion some of the players like Guyton, Mackenzie and Mayo could be moved outside but after 12 practices they are yet to do so, which means the do not intend to

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

tag, Eric Alexander cannot play ILB in the NFL. He's strictly a special teams guy.

Every time BB trots him out there during a game, he proves he does not belong.

I expect Eric to be cut this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

My guess is if McKenzie is 100%, he will start the season as the starter along side Mayo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Spikes or McKenzie?:
    Who do you think will line up next to Mayo? To be honest last year I thought Mckenzie was going to be the starter before tearing his ACL - when he was drafted in 09 Belichick raved about how instinctive he can be. He played for 3 Division I schools and made all conference teams. However, we got a new hummer in our garage called Brandon Spikes. He was a bonafide star at Florida and in college. Id love to see him square someone up every Sunday. No matter who starts next to Mayo I think we are in for a treat. Who do you guys think will start?
    Posted by Boston-kyle

It will be Spikes, as long as he gets most of his "uniqueness" under control. BB likes that he does some things his own way, but Spikes needs to limit the risks in going his own way. He is a gifted natural, instinctive player who sees the plays unfolding. Spikes is the bigger upside of the two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Spikes sounds like a Junior Seau, Seau was beat up a bit for doing things his own way, being a pile jumper, excessive selibrations like his rediculous fist pump after every tackle or busted play behind the line of scrimmage...

I would say BB is not foreign to unconventional LBer play as Brian Cox and Roman Phifer were not A typical 3-4 guys.

Spikes play can help him but the first time he is found out of position on a busted play that goes yard he is going to be benched and who knows what that will do to his confidence

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I am going with Mckenzie as well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

After watching four practices(I wish it could have been more,but you do what you can)it looks like Spikes but I migh wager a bob or two that both of them and guyton will have a true positive impact.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Either way, can we go wrong?  I am also fo the school of thought wherein Guyton, McKenzie and Spikes all get significant time alongside Mayo.  If I had to choose, I would think that McKenzie has a leg up.

Sections
Shortcuts