spikes replacement?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

spikes replacement?

Dqwell Jackson Has been released by the Browns per ESPN.com.  

He a great LB with good leadership skills who has always played on the losing browns.  Yes he is 30 but he had a solid season last year. he can play in the 3-4 or 4-3.  would be a vast improvement over spikes!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Re: spikes replacement?

I like it Nate--and personally I don't think 30 is that old for a LB, we've seen plenty of productive guys at that position into their early 30's---I just wonder if the Pats will look at LB as a top need, I'm sure they want to add depth as after Mayo, Hightower and (I presume) Collins all you have is Fletcher...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Nice call Nate. 

assuming they dont sign spikes, I think Jackson would be a nice replacement. 

Personally, I would like to get faster at the position like Collins. Is there anyone in the draft like Collins this year who can be had in the mid rounds? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

If the Pats did this it would be strictly for depth. Not sure what the market would be for jackson but i would assume he is going to want more than depth money and is going to want to be a starter. If the Pats play a 4-3 base he wouldn't get that many snaps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Nice call Nate. 

assuming they dont sign spikes, I think Jackson would be a nice replacement. 

Personally, I would like to get faster at the position like Collins. Is there anyone in the draft like Collins this year who can be had in the mid rounds? 

Sportslifer---MB has been touting Telvin Smith as just that type of Linebacker who could be there in the 3rd

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

unfortunately he is going to cost too much money for the Pats. Good idea, and would love to see it, but not enough "good value" for the Pats to invest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

If the Pats did this it would be strictly for depth. Not sure what the market would be for jackson but i would assume he is going to want more than depth money and is going to want to be a starter. If the Pats play a 4-3 base he wouldn't get that many snaps.

+1, Hightower steps into Spikes role next year with Mayo and Collins on the outside. The 4th LB is still going to get plenty of time but won't be the main starter. Depending on what Jackson is looking for it might not be in NE, though I would love to have him on board

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

+1, Hightower steps into Spikes role next year with Mayo and Collins on the outside. The 4th LB is still going to get plenty of time but won't be the main starter. Depending on what Jackson is looking for it might not be in NE, though I would love to have him on board

I agree! would love to see him here. He seems like a team first guy who would do what is asked if he was already here. Just not sure he would be willing to come here  for less money than he could get somehwere else especially if he knew he was going to be the main guy somewhere else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

He a great LB with good leadership skills who has always played on the losing browns.  Yes he is 30 but he had a solid season last year. he can play in the 3-4 or 4-3.  would be a vast improvement over spikes!  

Thanks, Nate.

He seems like a steady performer.  Maybe doesn't hit as hard as Spikes.  Plus, when healthy, Spikes can force fumbles.  Jackson has FF once in a while, some INTs too - so, he must be decent in coverage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

I always liked D.Q. We played them recently and he still is the leader of that D. He has rounded into an all around player. Would be our best cover guy outside of Collins but Im sure ILB isnt a priority for the Pats with Hightower waiting in the wings and Collins coming on last year. I dont see it happening unless he is available real cheap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I always liked D.Q. We played them recently and he still is the leader of that D. He has rounded into an all around player. Would be our best cover guy outside of Collins but Im sure ILB isnt a priority for the Pats with Hightower waiting in the wings and Collins coming on last year. I dont see it happening unless he is available real cheap.

you think Hightower will improve from last season? How do you assess Hightower's coverage skills. He may have appeared slow because he was thinking too much and still learning on the fly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

my understanding in talking to someone in Cleve, because Jackson was released teams can contact him immediately, and many teams did, including the Pats

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

my understanding in talking to someone in Cleve, because Jackson was released teams can contact him immediately, and many teams did, including the Pats

Nice, thx for the info RKarp--wonder if Reiss will pick up on that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

Nice, thx for the info RKarp--wonder if Reiss will pick up on that?

he will...its ESPN info

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good call, this would be a really good addition.  The Redskins are the front runner for him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

you think Hightower will improve from last season? How do you assess Hightower's coverage skills. He may have appeared slow because he was thinking too much and still learning on the fly.

I was hard on Hightower all last year until he got his act together the last month of the season. new position, IDK but he was slow to react and wasnt trusting his eyes. This is what I noticed his rookie year also while in his correct position with all the starters but fans here said I was picking on him and he was strugglin due to players being out. He showed lots of improvement in attacking the line and not waiting. Should bode well for his confidence if he builds on it in offseason and we have are full strength(mayo, fork back) then I trust he can slide in. Im hoping we get some players for depth so they dont wear down again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That would make for a really interesting LB corps.  Love to see it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

For cheap, hell yes. 

but to me our corps of Collins, Mayo & Hightower will be tops in the NFL

ILB isn't a priority compared to many other spots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't see it. Too small for BB's taste. And he's no kid. He would have to come really cheap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

For cheap, hell yes. 

wouldnt mind some upgrade depth over Fletch...also might see Hightower playing some DE spelling Nink. Hightower is bigger and faster than Nink 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like DJ, but...Hightower is the superior athlete.  Moving him from OLB to ILB is going to show why he was drafted in round 1.

The guy is 270 pounds, runs a 4.68 40 yard and hits like a beast. BB thought he could play OLB because of his change of direction speed, but it's obvious that he's more physical than cerebral.

Out in space, he's a liability because he has to rely on his brains over his brauns. But at MLB, where his primary responsibilty will be going north-to-south and knocking everything that runs in front of him down, his strengths will be utilized. With Mayo returning to call plays, Hightower is free to do what he does best.

Mayo and Collins, on the other hand, are roamers who can move east to west while coming forward to make tackles. Collins is a gem because he can be utilized on a blitz and you can ask him to put his hands on the floor. BB is going to have fun with him...

I hope the defense stays healthy this year! It would be amazing to see them at full strength, that includes Talib and getting a SS to knock fools out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

For cheap, hell yes. 

wouldnt mind some upgrade depth over Fletch...also might see Hightower playing some DE spelling Nink. Hightower is bigger and faster than Nink 

You might see Collins do that more than Hightower, Hightower isn't a DE. Collins is BB's weapon X.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

I like DJ, but...Hightower is the superior athlete.  Moving him from OLB to ILB is going to show why he was drafted in round 1.

The guy is 270 pounds, runs a 4.68 40 yard and hits like a beast. BB thought he could play OLB because of his change of direction speed, but it's obvious that he's more physical than cerebral.

Out in space, he's a liability because he has to rely on his brains over his brauns. But at MLB, where his primary responsibilty will be going north-to-south and knocking everything that runs in front of him down, his strengths will be utilized. With Mayo returning to call plays, Hightower is free to do what he does best.

Mayo and Collins, on the other hand, are roams who can move east to west while coming forward to make tackles. Collins is a gem because he can be utilized on a blitz and you can ask him to put his hands on the floor. BB is going to have fun with him...

I hope the defense stays healthy this year! It would be amazing to see them at full strength, that includes Talib and getting a SS to knock fools out.

agreed. Good Post 49! lets hope it all comes together

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I don't see it. Too small for BB's taste. And he's no kid. He would have to come really cheap.

Babe actually made a good point and didn't troll? What's the world coming to?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Babe actually made a good point and didn't troll? What's the world coming to?

Ha!!

Sections
Shortcuts