Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Spikes

Is he slowly becoming this team's defensive leader? He just seems to be the spark. Every time that he's been in the line-up, the defense plays hard. While stuffing the Broncos offense is nothing to pound your chest over, it was the fashion that they did it that was impressive. 15 plays for loss of yardage. FIFTEEN. Most of them were running plays on a team that has hung their hat on running the ball effectively. That was the hardest I've seen a Pats defense play in a long time, and a lot of it has to do with his crazy mentality. Though not nearly as good (physically or mentally) as Ray Lewis, he's got that same attitude.

I think the best example of this is when Mayo was out vs. the Cowboys, and he lead the defense to shutting down a very good offense.

Anyone think the calm demeanor of Mayo and the craziness of Spikes is the perfect combo in the middle for this Pats defense going forward?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Re: Spikes

I really like Spike's energy and attitude.  Our defense had lost it's teeth (it's still finding them) for awhile there.  Vrabel and Bruschi had a nasty, gritty, attitude out there...as did the other guys around them.  They would talk such trash and play with determination that no one was getting past them.

The guy's we've had over the last three years or so were just happy to be playing and didn't want to hear the wrath of the Hoodie...and played like they were running on eggshells.  Mayo is included in that.

If Spikes can stay healthy and stay on the field, he'll be getting better and better.  The more he plays, the better he gets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Spikes:
    Is he slowly becoming this team's defensive leader? He just seems to be the spark. Every time that he's been in the line-up, the defense plays hard. While stuffing the Broncos offense is nothing to pound your chest over, it was the fashion that they did it that was impressive. 15 plays for loss of yardage. FIFTEEN. Most of them were running plays on a team that has hung their hat on running the ball effectively. That was the hardest I've seen a Pats defense play in a long time, and a lot of it has to do with his crazy mentality. Though not nearly as good (physically or mentally) as Ray Lewis, he's got that same attitude. I think the best example of this is when Mayo was out vs. the Cowboys, and he lead the defense to shutting down a very good offense. Anyone think the calm demeanor of Mayo and the craziness of Spikes is the perfect combo in the middle for this Pats defense going forward?
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

Spikes is, in short, a winner. 

I wanted him on the Pats a year before he came out, and had NE using a first round selection on him (he went in the second because of a bogus 40 yard time). 

My favorite private moment last Sunday was watching the old Gators' defensive captain play an inspired game, and the #1 target (Hernandez) of the Gators' offensive captain absolutely put on a show. 

All the while Tim Tebow looked just awful. 

It was a good time for a guy who basically has been calling Tebow over-rated for a bunch of years. 

Of course, he still won some games this season ... but as always I question how much of it was him, and how much was defense and his playmakers. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think Belichick gives him a dose of humble pie to the media....not because he doesn't think highly of him, but I think he thinks very highly of Spikes ability and needs him to make a step to the next level. I really think that Spikes and Mayo have the ability to be one of the NFL's most formidable duos at linebacker for a long time.
    If only Cunningham had the same anger....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Yeah, that game winning catch by Thomas was due to:
    A solid running game provided by Tebow/McGahee/Ball
    Steelers' blatant lack of respect for his passing ability
    Demeryius Thomas BURNING Ike Taylor. He was open by 5 yards, and then had to throw a nice stiff-arm and outrun 3 guys.
    All he had to do was throw a pop-up between the hashmarks and he was gone.

I had a feeling Spikes' presence against Tebow was going to help big time.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Spikes fires me up and I am just watching him on TV. I can only imagine how his energy affects his fellow D-men. Good point about his closing speed. I remember a play when Tebow preferred to step out of bounds when he saw Spikes and Chung closing on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

He wanted to throw remote at the TV when we he was watching Denver game..the guy is intense

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like Spikes attitude, toughness and run-stopping ability as he is now.  If he develops some skill in pass coverage the sky's the limit.  He already has developed a good sense of rushing the passer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

King, as you said, Spikes might not be ideal from a coverage perspective, but I think he could better. I think his ability to assist on the run up the middle is going to really alter the way the Ravens use Rice on Sunday.

What I also like is that though he displays a lot of emotion and intensity, he seems to be a very disciplined player during the course of the play. He is very strong in his gap discipline and I think that helps account for his lack of out-and-out speed. With him and Mayo I feel very good about the ILB position for the forseeable future. I'd still like to see some game-changers added at OLB, although if Nink keeps playing like he did on Saturday that'll help.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Love Spikes and Chung for their run stuffing abilities. Mayo just racks up tackles, but Spikes brings the hammer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

More of an emotional leader then Mayo. He gets the D geeked up every play! I remember a few here saying Chung and Spikes coming back wouldn't help this "terrible" defense. Yeah, No.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Although the Broncos overall offense is hardly anything to write home about, they can run the ball well and don't have a bad o-line.  It was impresive for our D to be in their backfield so much, which led to all of the negative plays.  That to me is what stood out about our D in the Broncos game.  They penetrated into the backfield often.  In fact, it's been a long time since I have seen any NFL team spend that much time in another team's backfield.  Had they spent any more time back there they would have been issued Broncos jerseys.

If they can repeat that performance against the Raven's, I'm upping my wagers on the SB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I didn't think this was a guy that could play in space in the nfl, but BB has done well keeping him out of those situations. This guy is a down hill player that fights through the trash and meets the ball carrier head on. His arms are long and he gets them up to disrupt passing lanes and he's got the instincts to blitz (with the burst to get there).

I thought he looked a bit too heavy when he came back off the injury, but he doesn't look like it's slowed him. I hope he can stay out of trouble off the field and put the work in during the off season to become a more consistent player. We need him to come up big this week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

One play that really stuck out to me was when he was rushing the passer and tebow attempted to make a throw. He was working his way around the defender, forcing tebow to make the throw, and then batted the ball away at the line of scrimmage. Spikes dominated all game and that play was spectacular.

I love the fire he plays with. He wants to win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Spikes and  Chung are physical players; altho Chung has appeared to be injury prone.

Spikes can definitely stop the run, but is still somewhat unproven when it comes to covering players.

I do like Spikes' energy and enthusiasm on the field - and I think the rest of the players feed off it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm reluctant to classify anyone who'd played as little as he has as an emotional leader but he's certainly showed that over his limited time. I've always the 40 time for Spikes was overrated and even though they talk about that 5.06 time he also ran a 4.86 that day showing he is capable of some speed. Really, LBers don't run 40 yards straight and while .2 seconds may amount to a few feet in distance after 40 yards over a more realistic length of 5 or 10 yards a LBer runs it amounts to them covering a few more inches of ground. The guy is also 250 pounds, bigger than all the othe ILBs at the combine and bigger than most OLBs and many DEs at the combine. He's basically Dwight Freeney and Mathis' size but running around at MLB and his speed is pretty typical for someone his size.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

All I can say is for the past two years I took a ton of grief for saying Spikes could play in the NFL. Also I could be wrong but Im pretty sure this is the first time ever he has been hurt in his career. He has been suspended in college and the NFL but I believe this is his first injury. I like spikes cause he never backs down. And when he makes a big tackle OR a team mate makes a big tackle he gets all fired up and were seeing this as contagious. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Spikes:
    All I can say is for the past two years I took a ton of grief for saying Spikes could play in the NFL. Also I could be wrong but Im pretty sure this is the first time ever he has been hurt in his career. He has been suspended in college and the NFL but I believe this is his first injury. I like spikes cause he never backs down. And when he makes a big tackle OR a team mate makes a big tackle he gets all fired up and were seeing this as contagious. 
    Posted by maine12

Count me as one of those guys that probably gave you grief. I in no way, shape or form thought this guy could start in the middle of a defense in the nfl. A linebacker with 5.0 speed playing in this league, with more and more coverage responsibilities placed on these guys? I didn't see it. I watched some low lights of this guy playing in space before the draft...it was laughable. The guy was practically tripping over his own feet - missing tackles or not getting close enough to make them. Then he comes here and Belichick puts him in position to play to his strengths.

He brings an attitude and confidence to this defense that quite frankly was missing all year. He plays very physical and doesn't appear as slow as that low light video from a couple of years ago. All he needs to do is stay healthy, stay out of space and stay out of trouble off the field.

He reminds me of a young Brian Cox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

He reminds me of a young Brian Cox.
    Posted by mthurl

SPOT ON mthurl...good call.  Cox was that guy that really gave our LB core some of that mean streak. 

I always liked the pick because we really weren't able to get a solid MLB that could put their nose in there like Ted Johnson used to.  Vrabel did a great job filling in at MLB for awhile...but was more suited to the outside obviously.  By the time 2006 and 2007 rolled around...Bruschi was missing a step in there and just couldn't quite be where he needed to.  Mayo is good when he can persue and be the joker card in there...he could run up the middle, drop back, and as we all know...go sideline to sideline with ease.  Spikes fits perfectly for what they need in there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I love this guy since we got him. WHO CARED ABOUT TWITTER OR DUMB LEGAL STUFF HE DOES. I dont need him as a role model i need him as a bas @ss linebacker who in a complicated game does the most simple but rare thing hits guys like he means it. Hes a catalyst for our d before he was hurt vs the giants he was doing great..... I CANT WAIT for some collisons with him and ray rice

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

each of the other three teams remaining has a strong ground game. he will be key to how the pats d does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

"a presence that is centered around energy and physicality this team has needed."

Weel said... 

and next year we will have Ras-I Dowling a BIG cb that can run !

:D   I love Spikes !

There is absolutely no question he and Chung provide a presence that is centered around energy and physicality this team has needed. It was a huge loss with them being out at the end of the Giants game and thereafter. Very annoying watching some here act like these two starters never mattered. My only complaint with each is their inury prone histories.  If they could just find a way to stay healthy, they could be very formidable for years to come. And yes, Mayo is somehow underrated by this fanbase.  Continuity is important to any D.  When Mayo came back, Fletcher and Spikes weren't there. It seemed like we never reaally saw the real thing until the other night. It's impossible to discount any team's A Grade players all playing at once and a mish mash of A, B or even C Squad lineups. Thanks to Slater, Nate Jones, Edelman, Molden, MOore, etc, for learning on the fly and holding the fort.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts