Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Re: Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+

how can anybody say the pats draft was good or bad till the players take the field. second of all, no free agency as of yet, lamar woodley, tamba hali, the 2 best olb/de in the league who were franchised are still out there. would it still be a bad draft to all the haters out there if bb used the picks he wheeled and dealed for in next years draft on one of these elite pass rushers over a unprooven olb,de in the draft? cmon get a grip people.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+:
    In Response to Re: Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+ : your an agenda driven tool... who cares what you think...your an opposing teams fan commenting on a rivals web site... get a life and get lost...
    Posted by pjmj430

So can you tell me how an analyst specifically states that a team doesn't address a specific need yet still gives the team a "perfect score"? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

In Response to Re: Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+ : I hate to agree with Kiper but he's right(...) Mallet is like buying a dotcom companies stock really low. It has a chance to develop into something that really pays off but could go bankrupt overnight. This was a luxury pick and one I don't think they should have taken until they fixed the pass rush.  (...)
    Posted by PatsEng

yep... i guess there where some GREAT  de/olb prospects available...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

How do you start off an A+ grade commentary with a negative (no pass rush, but)? Hilarious how some writers try to get into teams good graces.  I wonder if these guys think that with the way Belichick operates the only way to get their question taken in a media session with Belichick is to constantly stroke him in writing. The guy gives the colts a B- for specifically and effectively addressing their needs by upgrading one of the worst olines in the league as well as taking a solid DT and a possible MJD type RB.  Go figure.  Take this guy seriously at your own risk.
    Posted by UD6

What grade would you give the Patriots UD?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Q - it doesn't matter what I think about the Pats draft - or the colts draft for that matter.  Ultimately, I figure the coaches and gm's know a helluva alot more about their needs than I or an analyst does, even when their picks contradict the pundits and/or fans assumed needs. 

That said, one cannot legitimately cite one of his deemed needs for the team as unaddressed yet apply a perfect grade to the effort.  

This guy should not be considered a reporter or even an analyst.  He should only be deemed a fan. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots defense produced 25 interceptions last year, and most of the credit should go to pass rushing.  Cunningham got only 1 sack but he gets a load of credit for many hurries and knockdowns that produced several of the interceptions.  The defensive backfield just happened to be standing on the football field when these various wobblers came down in their hands.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

With all these great draft grades you would think the genius Belichick could have won a SB in the last six years. Of course if you ignore your biggest need, you might not get the results you hope for. Maybe Parcells and Carrol could come in and consult, and provide a few key pro-bowlers for him like they did for the dynasty years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+ : yep... i guess there where some GREAT  de/olb prospects available...
    Posted by mnp3a

And Kevin O'Connell was a great pick too

When we traded #60 we essentially traded it for Mallett and Cannon. Now I love the Cannon pick but you don't think we could have gotten him by trading up another pick? And I know that Mallett was the#74 pick and Ridley was the Hou pick we got for #60 but why take Ridley higher unless you had Ridley ranked higher then Mallett so Mallett was a luxory pick because they had that extra 3rd. So looking at picks between #60 to the Cannon pick pass rushers I'd rather given a shot to then to have Mallett are Moch, Wilson, Bailey, Ballard, or Matthews. But then again I'm biased because I see Mallett as another Derek Anderson or Ryan Leaf. A guy with all the physical tools who's known as a hot head who might give it his all during practice and on the field but parties hard at night. One GM called him a 6'7" Eminem which I think is unfair to Eminem. What's telling is that even Mia wouldn't touch the kid they were so concerned about him. Only the Pats who had the luxory of rolling the dice on the kid could afford to throw a 3rd round pick away if this kid can't get his act together.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I wouldn't give it an A+. Maybe an A, but the plus should be reserved for a truely outstanding draft like the Pats had last year. That draft was textbook and should be enshrined.

The only 2 picks I have question marks on are;

1. Ras-I Dowling /> I question at 33 why we chose him. I don't question his talent, as I think the kid if healthy, can be something special opposite McD eventutally. My question mark are his health concerns. I don't like drafting fragile CB's, and fragile players in general, especially not that high. The Cannon pick was amazing given where we got him, so I'm good with this. My feeling is if you invest a #33, it should be as close to bullet proof as possible. I hope this kid does not turn into another Bob Sanders where he was off the field more than on it.

2. Stevan Ridley /> don't get me wrong, we needed a pound the rock RB, my question is why take this kid so high? He could have easily been there another round later, maybe round and a half. I would be surprised if he was really on anyone's radar that early.

Overall, I like the draft. My question on the 2 above kids, really speaks to my belief that I don't think the Pats maximized round 2 and 3 as well as they could have. Sure they got an additional 2nd rounder in 2012, but big question marks about where they got who they got above.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I guess I have a different take on the initial analysis then most here.  Of course you can't grade the draft as "final" and on the production of the players right after the draft since they haven't taken the field yet.

My take is the initial post draft analysis and grade is on -- did they fill holes on the team, did they draft players at there evaluated level (to high, low, about where expected), did they make trades to benefit in the future.

My grade falls as a C. Positives --- Solder and draft trades.  Negatives -- No pass rush, picking injury prone CB at 33, passing on Ingram. (Yes I am a big Ingram fan so this is a real negative to me).  I also give them a negative because I think some of the guys they picked were reaches and good have been drafted later on.

Last point.  Most people prior to the draft thought that pick 33 had huge value (being the first pick of round 2).  What the Pats ended up with was this CB dowling.  Interesting to see if he pans out.  I do not think they got the maximum value they could have for that pick.  I would have much rather they drafted Ingram at 28 and then traded 33 for a 2012 first round pick.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

King I like the optimisum but looking at what you said I have to comment on a couple things.

Solder is going to be great next to Vollmer. Good pick in my mind no problem.

Ras has the ability and intangibles to be another McCourty but then again BB's record on CB's isn't the best so he's a wait and see for me. If he works out then it's a good pick if he turns out to just be a 3rd cb or nickel cb for his career then not so great for the 33rd pick.

Vereen I think you are giving to much credit to call him Rice. He's a good all around player but he doesn't hit homeruns. He's a back that will get you solid yards everytime, can catch the ball, and can block for Brady but this guy has the worst 20+ yard carry average of a 2nd or better round pick I've seen. i like the pick but not that high truthfully but he should be a back that will compliment what we already have and will give you 10-20 carries a game with 30-50 receptions a year and average about 4 yrds a carry and 8 yards a catch but not a lot of 20+ yard break away carries. Which is very solid and what the Pats look for out of their RB's.

Ridley you'd have to agree was a reach for where he was taken. I was one crying for a short yard back that will get you those tough 2-3 yrds but early in the 3rd? Ridley is a solid guy that I see coming in as a lead blocker but also will get you those 2-3 yards when you need them, however, I don't expect to see him more then a handful of plays per game. More of  speciality back for specific situations.

Mallett to me is a dotcom stock. He could really pay off having some much physical ability taken fo so cheap but on the same note can turn into a Derek Anderson or Ryan Leaf who both like Mallett liked to party and were both kinda hot heads with huge arms and great physical tools. Hopefully this kid gets it and turns his life around though.

Cannon is a steal even if he doesn't see the field until next year

Smith is an OL convert to me. He has Crumps blocking ability but I don't see much of a TE when I look at him. I'd expect him to take over Crumps role as an extra T that will catch a random pass here or there during the year. But he is no Crump.

The other 2 I hope work out but from little I've seen of them they are ST or bust players which doesn't bode well.

It was a solid safe draft but they basically moved laterally from where they were last year getting younger and hoping the draft from last year makes the next leap. They addressed the OL for the future but still left big holes. We all knew G was going to be an issue and Koppen needed a replacement sooner rather then later and that wasn't addressed for the immediate future. Cannon was a great value and should hopefully recover but he still has the question mark. Solder is a bit raw and needs work, long term he'll be great but short term he really isn't an improvement over what Light was last year. The running game slightly improves by being able to get those tough short yards but do you see Vereen being a lage improvement over BJGE? The secondary improved with Ras if he can stay on the field but no secondary can last forever and without an improved pass rush do you think this secondary can last 6+ secs to allow for coverage sacks? (btw the Pats opponents averaged 5+ secs to throw the ball last year). To many question marks for me to say the team has improved enough to get out of the 1st round again.

I guess we are going to have to wait till FA to see what else they can get but given BB's history I don't expect impact FA signings just look for projects other teams don't want, Vets they think might have something left in the tank, and players who never lived up to their potential (in other words low risk high reward players)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I would never take Kiper's rating as anything more than self serving of his agenda. Kiper grades your team's draft in accordance with how your picks match up with how HE thought you should pick.

Kiper is a joke who is wrong more often then he is right. Mel is the weatherman of the football world. Constantly wrong but still has a job anyway.

Incidently, Ourlads was spot on with the Pats picking an OT. They had the Pats taking Costanzo instead of Solder but at least they had the position picked.

By the way, I love how other fans tell folks that they shouldn't like the job that BB did in the draft. It's fine by me if you don't like it. Different fans are going to feel differently on what the Pats need and the route that the team should take in filling those needs.
    According to some of you, if I think that he did a good job then I'm a pink hat??? TFF!
    You are not a rump swab to say that they filled alot of needs in this draft just as you shouldn't be considered any more or less of a  Pats fan if you feel that BB should have gone after a pass rusher etc.

PS. McShay is worlds better than Kiper IMO.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

No one thought the pats didn't need defensive front 7 help, including the analyst, so I ask again - How can he give an A+ grade (there's nothing better) and when even he notes first that they didn't address a need.  Its a contradiction.   It doesn't matter what Belichick might think.  Its about what the writer thinks.  He thinks the pats, first and foremost, didn't address a need yet he still gave them the "perfect" grade. 
    Posted by UD6

Odd...  You're not a PATS fan, so why do you care so much that some sports writer graded their draft as A+?  Seems to me you say it one time and move on or better yet move out.  If you are a fan of some other team, why not join your compatriots, (note that word has patriots in it), and celebrate or cry over the draft picks of that team?  Why come into this thread and say the same thing over and over again?  Do you think we will feel bad because you are such an expert, among all the other experts here?  I asked too many questions, what I really want to say is please go away, no PATS fan here cares what you think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Dess - my comments are not about whether or not the pats had a good draft.  I figure Belichick knows what he needs better than anyone else.  My beef is that an analyst gave the pats a perfect score while at the same time identifying a need (his perspective) that the pats did not address. 

Don't you see the hypocrisy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Don't get me wrong King I like the Solder pick. He was a very safe pick it's really the RB picks I have trouble with.

You are right about the "reach" statement but for me the 1st round you should expect a starter at some point throughout their rookie/sophomore year. In the 2nd you expect a starter within a couple years. In the 3rd they could or could not be starters but you are expecting a contributor for a fair portion of the game (like Brace, not a starter but a very good sub player). From there on out they are projects and role players imo

Under those constants I would put Vereen as a 3rd round pick as I think he will be a contributor but I don't see him as a #1 back but more of a complimentary back that will share the load between Woodhead and BJGE.

Ridley to me on this team will be a role player who will get a handful of chances every game. Don't get me wrong Ridley is a very solid player but spending that high of a 3rd on a player who might only see a handful of snaps is a bit high for me. If he sees more then hand full of snaps then that means that Woodhead or Vereen is getting less snaps. If it's Vereen then you spent a mid 2nd on a role playing back which is worse. I think they could of found a bigger bruiser back that can do what Ridley is expected to do in later rounds even though Ridley might be the better RB. Sometimes it's not about who will be the better Pro but how much you spent and how much overall affect that determines how good a pick is.

As I said before if the Pats took one of those early picks and took a chance on a pass rusher I would be extremely happy with this draft but without addressing what was to me the biggest need of the draft is concerning. Here's hoping that the current players develop or they find a diamond in the FA trash since I don't see them spending big for a pass rusher in FA

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

It's amazing how, to some, anyone who disapproves of the Pats' draft is a pink hatter.  This was a very poor draft.  When you make 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, you can't help but pick some good players.  That isn't the point.  The question is, by making those 5 picks, and deferring a first rounder into the future, did you improve your team significantly? The answer here is absolutely no.  In year one, Solder for Light is a wash (could be a great pick down the road however). Dowling might be a great player, if he ever sees the field.  So, not my preference, but good enough there.  But how the team with one of the NFL's best offenses and one of its worst defenses could spend 3 of its first 5 picks on two running backs and a quarterback, well its mind-boggling.  I think the pink hatters are the ones who think that whatver BB does is right.  It takes a little backbone to think the king is wrong.      
    Posted by zackie

The OL was the biggest hole the Pats needed to address.  I want a pass rusher too but not at the expense of Brady.  

Light: FA and 33 years old.  Why should the Pats invest big IF they want money to pay Mankins?   Any time you can get a OT than can start on the left side then you make that pick.

Neal: Retired

Mankins: Pissed off and might hold out again.

They upgraded a key position and in doing so made themselves a heck of a lot better running team.  

They also needed to make up for the Butler pick from 2 years ago.  Clearly they whiffed on that one and while Bodden is a solid guy, you can never have enough quality CBs.  

That said, I think the Pats have a scheme problem.  The DL is supposed to engage blockers vs really making plays.  They also don't do enough to create mismatches with opposing lines.   They don't do enough to create confusion at the line like the Jets do.  They have speed at LB, they just don't use it properly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Q - it doesn't matter what I think about the Pats draft - or the colts draft for that matter.  Ultimately, I figure the coaches and gm's know a helluva alot more about their needs than I or an analyst does, even when their picks contradict the pundits and/or fans assumed needs.  That said, one cannot legitimately cite one of his deemed needs for the team as unaddressed yet apply a perfect grade to the effort.   This guy should not be considered a reporter or even an analyst.  He should only be deemed a fan. 
    Posted by UD6

Is Adam Caplan a Patriot hater because he gave the Patriots draft a D?

I will say this UD - I have never agreed more with anything I have ever seen you write then this line about the coaches knowing more than you or I do

I believe BB has a plan to address the anemic pass rush - but he did a good job shoring up an aging O-Line - and filled it with 2 big, physical players who look to be around for a while

I grade the draft incomplete until the summer - let's see what BB does with free agency and then, if he hasn't addressed the pass rush I will lead the charge roasting him for it

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Sporting News grades Pats draft an A+:

It's also interesting to note that the Sporting News gave the Jets a "D"...which does not stand for Dandy...LOL!!

Sections
Shortcuts