SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-06-16/six-teams-who-will-return-nfl-playoffs-10

What say you? Obviously, this is coming from a complete homer but I find it hard to believe this team won't make the playoffs at all. We'd have at least 3 more wins in the bag if we had a decent third option or a tight end we could rely on. The defense got better as the year went on but still, it was too inconsistent. At the same time, you couldn't expect much more considering we had zero pass rush. I know the schedule is tougher this year but we face the toughest teams at home this year so that's got to be a plus. I don't take the Jets too seriously considering they have Sanchez at QB and a boatload off off-field issues. Not to mention, with the characters they have on their roster I see at least one flair-up or two throughout the season. I take the Dolphins much more seriously but I don't think they put it together that fast, even though ownership is expecting, and declaring, a Super Bowl this year. Henne's got the potential to be an above-average QB but I don't see their defensive presence just yet.

Right now, I have these teams making the playoffs in order:
    1) Patriots
    2) Ravens
    3) Cincinnati
    4) Chargers
    5) Colts
    6) Dolphins

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Re: SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs

In Response to SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-06-16/six-teams-who-will-return-nfl-playoffs-10 What say you? Obviously, this is coming from a complete homer but I find it hard to believe this team won't make the playoffs at all. We'd have at least 3 more wins in the bag if we had a decent third option or a tight end we could rely on. The defense got better as the year went on but still, it was too inconsistent. At the same time, you couldn't expect much more considering we had zero pass rush. I know the schedule is tougher this year but we face the toughest teams at home this year so that's got to be a plus. I don't take the Jets too seriously considering they have Sanchez at QB and a boatload off off-field issues. Not to mention, with the characters they have on their roster I see at least one flair-up or two throughout the season. I take the Dolphins much more seriously but I don't think they put it together that fast, even though ownership is expecting, and declaring, a Super Bowl this year. Henne's got the potential to be an above-average QB but I don't see their defensive presence just yet. Right now, I have these teams making the playoffs in order: 1) Patriots 2) Ravens 3) Cincinnati 4) Chargers 5) Colts 6) Dolphins
    Posted by apdynasty23

Who is going to win the superbowl this year?  Dah Pahts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs:
    In Response to SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs : Who is going to win the superbowl this year?  Dah Pahts
    Posted by whodeawhodat

Well why don't you give us a completely objective opinion.  Who do you think will win the Super Bowl? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I have these teams making the playoffs in order:
    1) Patriots
    2) Colts
    3) Chargers
    4) Ravens
    5) Texans WC
    6) Chiefs WC

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here are my predictions on who will win the Superbowl over the next few years. 2010 Pats 2011 Pats (duh) 2012 Pats (ofcourse) 2013 Pats (obviously) 2014 Pats (for sure) Although I must warn you that I and others on this forum could potentially be biased in favor of Pats.
    Posted by murghkhor

I don't see any bias, It just so happens I made the same prediction.  But I have to be honest, the pessimistic side of me thinks there is a small chance that the pats may only win four of the next 5 Super Bowls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

Does the Sporting news even have any credibility?  LOL! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You guys are just a bunch of homers.  Oh, wait - - so am I. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

How are the Pats not a playoff team?

I can see the argument that they may not be a Super Bowl team, but how are they not a playoff team, really?

This is a quarterback league and the Pats have one of the best in the game back there.

Also, the defense is getting younger and better....still has a ways to go, especially in the pass rush area, but it's definitely a better unit than they had two years ago.

In the AFC, outside the Eastern Division, you've got the Colts, Chargers, Ravens, and then maybe the Bengals (though I doubt it) and maybe the Texans in contention.

I'd say the Titans and Steelers, because of their quarterbacks' offseason issues, are question marks right now.

In the East, a lot of buzz around the Jets and certainly the Dolphins are a good team, but neither can match the Pats at QB, the most important position.

I fail to see how this is not a playoff team--the schedule is a little tricky but at least they got most of the toughies at home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

I hate the Jets more than any team...but they do have the best defense in the AFC East..unfortunately. Brady is obviously better than Henne and Sanchez but that doesn't guaranty them a playoff spot especially with the improvements of both Miami and NY. The team that scares me the most is Baltimore. I think they make a serious run at the Superbowl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

The Pats will not make the playoffs ... they have no impact players on off or Def

The Jets and Dolphins will make the playoff  the Pats are fading while those 2 clubs are rising

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

The Pats will not make the playoffs ... they have no impact players on off or Def The Jets and Dolphins will make the playoff  the Pats are fading while those 2 clubs are rising
    Posted by DBCoach

This is pretty much the same stuff we heard back when the Pats were winning multiple Super Bowls with a roster that was largely shunned for the Pro Bowl every year. The Colts had more stars, therefore, they were better, right?

"Impact" players make Pro Bowls; teams win games and championships.

And the Pats are rebuilding, not fading. They've got one more offseason to go, then watch out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs : This is pretty much the same stuff we heard back when the Pats were winning multiple Super Bowls with a roster that was largely shunned for the Pro Bowl every year. The Colts had more stars, therefore, they were better, right? "Impact" players make Pro Bowls; teams win games and championships. And the Pats are rebuilding, not fading. They've got one more offseason to go, then watch out.
    Posted by hardright

Retooling**

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Perfect its not just that we have Brady, look at the numbers bro and they back us up how many times in the last ten years have the Pats not made the playoffs? The numbers are in our favor so I am going with the odds and saying the Pats win the East and make the playoffs and based on the numbers there is no way anyone can argue against it. The Jets have a great defense that is right but lets see how good they are with a full year of film to study my guess is good coaches like the Fins have and the Pats have will be able to beat them. No more Thomas Jones to lead them in rushing no more Fanica to help their O line adjust on the go, a head coach who couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag unless its on D and a whole bunch of unhappy players. Not to mention if Sanchez has any kind of sophomore slump they are done for. The Fins have a better QB then the Jets and I think Henne will turn heads this season. But the Fins D doesnt scare anyone.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

it will...they helped that defensive front 7 alot with not only the draft, but a tackling, playmaking machine in dansby...sprinkle in mike nolan running the defense and unless injuries ravage the D again...this unit should be much, much improved for the phins...addition by subtracting porter, taylor and wilson

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I'm not going to make any predictions or anything, but usually when the Pats are predicted to NOT win - is when the Pats are the most dangerous team.  I like this.  Let the media and magazines predict us like this, it's better!

GO PATS! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Perfect its not just that we have Brady, look at the numbers bro and they back us up how many times in the last ten years have the Pats not made the playoffs? The numbers are in our favor so I am going with the odds and saying the Pats win the East and make the playoffs and based on the numbers there is no way anyone can argue against it. The Jets have a great defense that is right but lets see how good they are with a full year of film to study my guess is good coaches like the Fins have and the Pats have will be able to beat them. No more Thomas Jones to lead them in rushing no more Fanica to help their O line adjust on the go, a head coach who couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag unless its on D and a whole bunch of unhappy players. Not to mention if Sanchez has any kind of sophomore slump they are done for. The Fins have a better QB then the Jets and I think Henne will turn heads this season. But the Fins D doesnt scare anyone.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I agree with you somewhat but I think Miami and Ny have caught up with the Pats. It happens with every team. I'm not saying NE isn't a playoff team I just think the three teams are very close. Miami will be undeniably better on defense. Their biggest offseason aquisition this offseason(IMO) was Mike Nolan. Their 2 young corners are good too with another year under their belt. They also filled a huge hole with Dansby. They also have a much easier schedule than last year with a very good group of young players. They may not be there yet but I bet they make huge strides this year and challenge for the division. Don't get me started with the Jets...I think they're overrated but will be in contention. I think this NE team is in somewhat of a transition stage. I think they still haven't adressed LB or RB and the wr group may be a big question mark if Welker can't be Welker again for awhile. Sorry but no one's scared of Tory Holt anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs : I agree with you somewhat but I think Miami and Ny have caught up with the Pats. It happens with every team. I'm not saying NE isn't a playoff team I just think the three teams are very close. Miami will be undeniably better on defense. Their biggest offseason aquisition this offseason(IMO) was Mike Nolan. Their 2 young corners are good too with another year under their belt. They also filled a huge hole with Dansby. They also have a much easier schedule than last year with a very good group of young players. They may not be there yet but I bet they make huge strides this year and challenge for the division. Don't get me started with the Jets...I think they're overrated but will be in contention. I think this NE team is in somewhat of a transition stage. I think they still haven't adressed LB or RB and the wr group may be a big question mark if Welker can't be Welker again for awhile. Sorry but no one's scared of Tory Holt anymore.
    Posted by perfect72

I agree with some of this.   The division has gotten better and I expect it to be better next year.  I think the path to the playoffs will be difficult in the AFC east and probably just a one game or tiebreaker advantage.  There may even be two playoff teams again this year from the AFC east.  IMHO the Pats are still the favorite because they are consistently a playoff team and the Brady, Belichick combo has never failed to make the playoffs.  I know it's trendy to pick who is the next big thing and who is the next team to fall off the pedestal but I will believe the Pats are done when I see them fail to put forth a playoff caliber team, and I haven't seen that in a long time. 

Dolphins- Next I like the Fins, I think they are a team on the way up.  The additions of Dansby and Marshall are easily the best free agent acquisitions in the division and the team was not too far off last year.  But, in keeping with the point before, I don't predict the next big thing, I have to see it.  Teams like the Jags, Texans, and several others have been on the "they were almost elite and then they got better, so they must be a contender" list for a while, while never turning the promise into wins.  Overall, I think Parcells is one of the better team builders and Sparano seems like a good coach.  Henne is at the least a better QB than Sanchez with IMO better receivers.  I think they are a darkhorse who will give a lot of teams trouble this year.

I'm not buying the Jets hype.  Lt is not great, probably not even good.  Shonne Green may be great, but so might a thousand other people in the NFL.  Holmes is a good reciever but he's going to miss 4 games and I don't see him as a guy who has the leadership to spark an inept offense.  Sanchez is a INT machine, maybe he gets better, but he needs to get much, much better.  Taylor is solid, but not scary at his age.  Then there's Cromartie, don't know what people are talking about with this kid.  He had one good year three years ago.  Since then he has been a subpar corner.  Another example that being a great football player is more than just being a great athlete.  Rex is a good defensive coach so maybe he makes it work, but this team looks like it's in the early stages of chaos right before meltdown.  I'm going with a .500 record.

Bills- I would be shocked if they won more than 5 games, but you never know in the NFL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I think we watch our team more than Florio does. He also projects the Saints missing the playoffs. Personally, I don't see the Pats not making it. Unless we finish tied for the division again.

2009 - 10-6
    2008 - 11-5 tied for 1st in division missed playoffs
    2007 - 16-0
    2006 - 12-4
    2005 - 10-6
    2004 - 14-2
    2003 - 14-2
    2002 -  9-7 tied for 1st in division missed playoffs
    2001 - 11-5

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A number of national pundits are downrating the Patriots.  Their argument seems to be that the Pats were high, now they're on the way down and this trend will continue.

I don't hold the 2008 11-5 season against the Patriots.  Brady wasn't playing.

I look at the 2009 numbers and see that a number of teams needed moderate luck to slip by the Pats.  Denver at Denver needed a coin toss, Indy at Indy needed a lucky referee, Miami at Miami was quite a narrow win, and Houston at the end of the season got a free ticket.  Otherwise the Pats are 14-2.  I count 8 Patriot wins that weren't particularly close (By my own rules, I'm not counting last second tickytack scores) and 2 losses that weren't particularly close, New Orleans at New Orleans and Baltimore after losing Wes Welker.

Then I look at the 2010 offseason.  I see a huge influx of possible starters now working out with the first team in practice.  I expect an upgrade like nobody has ever seen.  The national people don't have this information.  Also, every one of the national people states unequivocally that Wes Welker won't be back soon.  Good luck with that prognostication!

Let the national folks be who they are.  Their editors asked for a prediction, any prediction (actually their editors may well have ordered them to favor major markets like New York, it increases magazine sales), they got paid, and it's not their gambling money.

Patriots 20
    Media 17

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here are my predictions.  It will be close, plus or minus 1-2 games.  Pats get hot at the end to win the division.  But, they don't go far in the play-offs with an average OL, running game and poor pass rush.  They will be a one dimensional passing team and Brady will carry us on his back.  The defense will be better but not top 5.

MIAMIPrediction
    Sept. 12at BuffaloW
    Sept. 19at MinnesotaL
    Sept. 26N.Y. JETSW
    Oct. 4NEW ENGLANDW
    Oct. 10Bye 
    Oct. 17at Green BayL
    Oct. 24PITTSBURGHW
    Oct. 31at CincinnatiL
    Nov. 7at BaltimoreL
    Nov. 14TENNESSEEW
    Nov. 18CHICAGOW
    Nov. 28at OaklandW
    Dec. 5CLEVELANDW
    Dec. 12at N.Y. JetsL
    Dec. 19BUFFALOW
    Dec. 26DETROITW
    Jan. 2at New EnglandL
    10-6
    NY JETSPrediction
    Monday, 09/13/10BaltimoreL
    Sunday, 09/19/10New EnglandW
    Sunday, 09/26/10@ MiamiL
    Sunday, 10/03/10@ BuffaloW
    Monday, 10/11/10MinnesotaL
    Sunday, 10/17/10@ DenverL
    BYEBYE 
    Sunday, 10/31/10Green BayW
    Sunday, 11/07/10@ DetroitW
    Sunday, 11/14/10@ ClevelandW
    Sunday, 11/21/10HoustonW
    Thursday, 11/25/10CincinnatiW
    Monday, 12/06/10@ New EnglandL
    Sunday, 12/12/10MiamiW
    Sunday, 12/19/10@ PittsburghL
    Sunday, 12/26/10@ ChicagoW
    Sunday, 01/02/11BuffaloW
    10-6
    NE PATRIOTSPrediction
    Sun 9/12/2010vs Bengals W
    Sun 9/19/2010@ JetsL
    Sun 9/26/2010vs Bills W
    Mon 10/4/2010@ DolphinsL
    Sun 10/10/2010 Bye  
    Sun 10/17/2010vs RavensW
    Sun 10/24/2010@ ChargersL
    Sun 10/31/2010 vs VikingsW
    Sun 11/7/2010@ Browns W
    Sun 11/14/2010@ SteelersL
    Sun 11/21/2010vs ColtsL
    Thu 11/25/2010@ LionsW
    Mon 12/6/2010vs JetsW
    Sun 12/12/2010@ BearsW
    Sun 12/19/2010vs PackersW
    Sun 12/26/2010@ Bills W
    Sun 1/2/2011vs DolphinsW
    11-5

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Jimmy Mike Nolan has not scared anyone since he was in Baltimore. If he is such a great D coach why did the 49ers D always stink? And last year with the Bronco's let his D melt down. I dont think he will do much. But Dansby was a good signing thats for sure. And Perfect, Holt might not scare you anymore but he will earn your respect by the end of the year and you can hold me to that. With Brady throwing him the ball he will look like he is 30 not 33.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

the 49ers D always stunk because they were on the field constantly...aside from frank gore, they had nothing...cant fault the coach too much when the GM doesnt give ya much to work with

as for the broncos...the whole team was abismal in the 2nd half of last year and again, the defense couldnt get off the field due to the inept play of the offense

but nolan is a very, very good coach and with the additions to the front 7, i think the phins will be able to put alot of pressure on QB's this year...im not predicting a top 5 defense...but id say in the top 10 would be a very reasonable goal for this unit

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

Here are my predictions.  It will be close, plus or minus 1-2 games.  Pats get hot at the end to win the division.  But, they don't go far in the play-offs with an average OL, running game and poor pass rush.  They will be a one dimensional passing team and Brady will carry us on his back.  The defense will be better but not top 5. Posted by Faucetman

I am confused.....We had a top 5 D last year....and if we are better, then wouldn't it still be a top 5 defense?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Here are my predictions.  It will be close, plus or minus 1-2 games.  Pats get hot at the end to win the division.  But, they don't go far in the play-offs with an average OL, running game and poor pass rush.  They will be a one dimensional passing team and Brady will carry us on his back.  The defense will be better but not top 5. MIAMI Prediction Sept. 12 at Buffalo W Sept. 19 at Minnesota L Sept. 26 N.Y. JETS W Oct. 4 NEW ENGLAND W Oct. 10 Bye   Oct. 17 at Green Bay L Oct. 24 PITTSBURGH W Oct. 31 at Cincinnati L Nov. 7 at Baltimore L Nov. 14 TENNESSEE W Nov. 18 CHICAGO W Nov. 28 at Oakland W Dec. 5 CLEVELAND W Dec. 12 at N.Y. Jets L Dec. 19 BUFFALO W Dec. 26 DETROIT W Jan. 2 at New England L 10-6 NY JETS Prediction Monday, 09/13/10 Baltimore L Sunday, 09/19/10 New England W Sunday, 09/26/10 @ Miami L Sunday, 10/03/10 @ Buffalo W Monday, 10/11/10 Minnesota L Sunday, 10/17/10 @ Denver L BYE BYE   Sunday, 10/31/10 Green Bay W Sunday, 11/07/10 @ Detroit W Sunday, 11/14/10 @ Cleveland W Sunday, 11/21/10 Houston W Thursday, 11/25/10 Cincinnati W Monday, 12/06/10 @ New England L Sunday, 12/12/10 Miami W Sunday, 12/19/10 @ Pittsburgh L Sunday, 12/26/10 @ Chicago W Sunday, 01/02/11 Buffalo W 10-6 NE PATRIOTS Prediction Sun 9/12/2010 vs Bengals   W Sun 9/19/2010 @ Jets L Sun 9/26/2010 vs Bills   W Mon 10/4/2010 @ Dolphins L Sun 10/10/2010   Bye     Sun 10/17/2010 vs Ravens W Sun 10/24/2010 @ Chargers L Sun 10/31/2010   vs Vikings W Sun 11/7/2010 @ Browns   W Sun 11/14/2010 @ Steelers L Sun 11/21/2010 vs Colts L Thu 11/25/2010 @ Lions W Mon 12/6/2010 vs Jets W Sun 12/12/2010 @ Bears W Sun 12/19/2010 vs Packers W Sun 12/26/2010 @ Bills   W Sun 1/2/2011 vs Dolphins W 11-5
    Posted by Faucetman

There's no way we lose to the Colts, Steelers and Chargers.  The days of those teams competing with us are over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

In Response to Re: SportingNews: Patriots Not Going Back to Playoffs : There's no way we lose to the Colts, Steelers and Chargers.  The days of those teams competing with us are over.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Neither the Colts, Chargers or Steelers have made any significant additions to their team this offseason....and the Colts are playing here in November....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

thats good news because they are always wrong anyways. this is going to be a better year, we are younger, rebuilding, with some great picks in next years draft. only time will tell but this years draft could be there best since 2003.

Sections
Shortcuts