Sports Illustrated's Peter King - His take on Randy Moss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Sports Illustrated's Peter King - His take on Randy Moss

I just finished reading Peter King's take on Randy Moss. I tend to agree with his assessment. Somehow the Patriots got away from their formula for success. One standard for all of the players. No exceptions! Find hard working, competitive ball players who share one thing in common "Football is important to them" (can you say Wes Welker). If you find guys like that, you don't need to worry about them getting to work on time. They are there early to workout and stay late. They watch hours of film. They want to win! 

You have only one receiver, Wes Welker, who can get open against man coverage when Moss is a bum like this ... Your tight ends are useless as receivers ... Your screen game isn't effective because defenses know you have to use it so much that they're waiting for it constantly ... And Moss is a total head case.. So your options are to draw the hard line and bench him and play Sam Aiken opposite Welker and hope the career special-teamer strikes gold. Unlikely. Or you can baby Moss along, keep him as one of the captains, pretend he's just going through a tough stretch, and expend an incredible amount of energy making him feel like he's still your go-to guy. Clearly, Belichick's going to have to try the latter.
    New England could lose at Buffalo, particularly if the Bills -- if Perry Fewell is smart -- double Welker on every snap underneath and over the top, and belt him around in the five-yard bump zone. I remember Bill Parcells preaching to the beat guys who covered the Giants (and I'm sure he beat his assistants over the heads with it in the '80s, including Belichick) that his job was to get the most out of each player, and that meant he wasn't going to treat everyone the same because everyone didn't react to coaching the same way. That's where Belichick is now with Moss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Re: Sports Illustrated's Peter King - His take on Randy Moss

Don't Kid yourself..... Welker is not half the receiver he is without Moss getting double coverage....

Moss has a HUGE role on this team EVEN if he doesn't catch a pass....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What is amazing, even when Moss is "supposedly" dogging it, the other team STILL doubles him up and that is a benefit to the team and opens up for Welker and everyone else.  If only the other receivers would be as effective as Welker in getting open!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Who said anything about stats? I do think your selling Welker short! As for Moss, if you are happy with the way he has been preforming than I can't help you. Jerry Rice said he was shocked with the way Moss conducted himself on the field Sunday. I agree with Rice! Sorry but I just can't drink the cool-aid you are passing around!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeseman. Show cheeseman's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated's Peter King - His take on Randy Moss:
    [QUOTE]Who said anything about stats? I do think your selling Welker short! As for Moss, if you are happy with the way he has been preforming than I can't help you. Jerry Rice said he was shocked with the way Moss conducted himself on the field Sunday. I agree with Rice! Sorry but I just can't drink the cool-aid you are passing around!
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

Cris Carter was the one who was "shocked". 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I think moss is injured and brady and bill have asked him to man up and run his deep routes just to keep the defense soft for welker and RB's to do their thing... Honestly, if a player was dogging this much, bill or brady wouldnt go out of their way to defend them... and the chat brady kept having with moss on the sideline didnt like he was pissed off at moss, which if u put it all together, makes sense that moss is going through a bad back injury... I mean just imagine if moss didnt play this game vs Carolina... Welker would have #1 corner on him along with some safety help probably, and they would be relying on edelman. The running game wouldnt be as effective because safety's would creep closer in... People are underestimating what moss does based on his stats, Honestly i think brady is throwing to moss at this point only to keep the defense from realizing that moss is injured and brady is not even looking for him because of that...

Believe me, i am not defending moss... I was screaming at the TV during the whole game yesterday when i saw moss go half speed, but this scenario is the only thing that makes sense to me. Otherwise, bill wouldnt feel the need to attack the panthers.. he could have done his usual thing about saying a sentence without actually saying anything...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]...Honestly, if a player was dogging this much, bill or brady wouldnt go out of their way to defend them... and the chat brady kept having with moss on the sideline didnt like he was pissed off at moss, which if u put it all together, makes sense that moss is going through a bad back injury... 
    Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE]

I'm with you.  It makes no sense at all that so many teammates, and especially BB, would strongly defend someone who was actually dogging it or quitting.  They wouldn't do it.  BB definitely wouldn't do it.  I'm reflecting on BB's time with the Pats and can't think of a single thing that would lead people to believe he'd cover for a player who quit.  If BB was upset at Moss, he would simply stay silent about it or dodge the issue altogether to anyone outside the team.  He's handle it internally.  The fact that he has been uncharacteristically vocal in support of Moss means something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" If you find guys like that, you don't need to worry about them getting to work on time. They are there early to workout and stay late. They watch hours of film. They want to win! "

Yeah the Pats really got off track trading a fourth round pick for a hall of fame receiver, nearly had an undefeated season, lost a Super Bowl due to a bizarre helmet catch from a guy who isn't even playing on an NFL roster anymore. 

I hate to break it to you but it's not just work ethic, it's also talent. Listen, attitude matters, but Randy isn't the guy on the team with the bad attitude. There's been plenty of stories the last couple years about how hard Moss works. 

Good luck putting together a team of "blue collar all stars." Unfortunately being fast and aggressive is just as important as knowing how to get to a meeting early in a snowstorm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

[QUOTE]I think moss is injured and brady and bill have asked him to man up and run his deep routes just to keep the defense soft for welker and RB's to do their thing... Honestly, if a player was dogging this much, bill or brady wouldnt go out of their way to defend them... and the chat brady kept having with moss on the sideline didnt like he was pissed off at moss, which if u put it all together, makes sense that moss is going through a bad back injury... I mean just imagine if moss didnt play this game vs Carolina... Welker would have #1 corner on him along with some safety help probably, and they would be relying on edelman. The running game wouldnt be as effective because safety's would creep closer in... People are underestimating what moss does based on his stats, Honestly i think brady is throwing to moss at this point only to keep the defense from realizing that moss is injured and brady is not even looking for him because of that... Believe me, i am not defending moss... I was screaming at the TV during the whole game yesterday when i saw moss go half speed, but this scenario is the only thing that makes sense to me. Otherwise, bill wouldnt feel the need to attack the panthers.. he could have done his usual thing about saying a sentence without actually saying anything...
    Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree....Moss may be injured and on pain killers, explaining why he seems out of it at times.  His double coverage value can't be underestimated.  Seymour had this value on defense, opening up other players.  Seymour didn't get the stats, but he did get the recognition. Maybe a lot of people don't appreciate this role as much from a receiver, especially one who has performed spectacularly.  It's also possible and quite understandable that persistent double coverage, Brady's diminished accuracy, and Moss's possible injury have gotten him mentally down.  A third WR would certainly help.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Moss is a huge talent but like most professional athletes, he is immature.  He's been babied and coddled his whole life and doesn't know how to act any other way.  Bottom line is he got called on something (sent home), doesn't like it and now he's pouting.  Dude, grow up and play or follow AT out the door.  The Pats can win with him and the Pats have won without him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

You all need to wake up!  This is one of the best receivers to play the game!  He had a bad game.  ONE BAD GAME!  He is a good influence on this team.  Being late was a one time thing.  He got caught up in the AT spanking!  Thomas needs to be inactive for the rest of the years.  He is a cancer.  He does nothing on the field and is a bad influence off.  You can see it in Randy's eyes, he wants to win.   He is frustrated right now.  Yes, he may be hurt and taking one for the team.  Only Bill knows for sure!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Who said anything about stats? I do think your selling Welker short! As for Moss, if you are happy with the way he has been preforming than I can't help you. Jerry Rice said he was shocked with the way Moss conducted himself on the field Sunday. I agree with Rice! Sorry but I just can't drink the cool-aid you are passing around!
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is selling Welker short, but I'm w/ others when we say that his numbers wouldn't be nearly as good w/o double coverage on Moss. My guess is that other teams are willing to give up shorter receptions to Welker than to give 2-3 big plays each game to Moss.  I think it's pretty rare to double team Welker for - let's say 50% of a game....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Peter King knows a lot of people in the NFL - just ask him.  What he doesn't know is much about football.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think some are missing some important facts.  Moss is the 2nd most prolific reciever in NFL history.  Teams make plans to cover Moss.  You may be critical of the plays he takes off which the opposition is breathing a sigh of relief but it's gird yourselves when he doesn't.

My take on Moss is that he doesn't have a strong character.  He's does not have the team leader type of personality.  He needs strong personalities around him to succeed or more directly keep him out of a funk.  The Pats team is a little different because the team, although effected, can win when he gets in one of these moods for one reason or another.

Peter King gets it wrong again.  The Pats don't run screens often because Belichick doesn't like screens.  I read a piece some time ago where Bill said this.  Did King not see who scored the Pats first TD?  Wasn't that a TE Pete?  Sorry Pete,  I'm keeping Moss on the field because whether his head is in the game or not the other team isn't going to take that chance. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

randy had a bad game  it happens  i think that becasue of his past he is taking more crap about it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

What? Cris Carter was shocked? Now I know Randy did nothing wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]Don't Kid yourself..... Welker is not half the receiver he is without Moss getting double coverage
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

Welker was pretty good in Miami!  At least, the Pats thought so.  Honestly, Welker would be fab if...George Jetson was the primary WR.  Of course, this is not the Jetsons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I guess the haters miss the days of Reche Caldwell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

[QUOTE]"  If you find guys like that, you don't need to worry about them getting to work on time. They are there early to workout and stay late. They watch hours of film. They want to win! " Yeah the Pats really got off track trading a fourth round pick for a hall of fame receiver, nearly had an undefeated season, lost a Super Bowl due to a bizarre helmet catch from a guy who isn't even playing on an NFL roster anymore.  I hate to break it to you but it's not just work ethic, it's also talent. Listen, attitude matters, but Randy isn't the guy on the team with the bad attitude. There's been plenty of stories the last couple years about how hard Moss works.  Good luck putting together a team of "blue collar all stars." Unfortunately being fast and aggressive is just as important as knowing how to get to a meeting early in a snowstorm.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

There were no stars on the 2001 Patriots team and they won the Super Bowl!
    They have the rings o prove it. I don't see the Pats winning a championship wit Moss. Perhaps, if he was there third option at WR. Unfortunately he is a team captain and guys in leadership should not dog it. what kind of leadership does that show. Anyways this issue has been beaten to death. Here's hoping he has heard his critics and wants to prove that he really is a team leader and starts playing with heart.

Sections
Shortcuts