Spread'em Out Wide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Spread'em Out Wide

Sean Payton said something interesting on Jon Gruden's Champ Camp on ESPN the other day. When they spread reggie bush or jeremy shockey out wide it gave the defense away: if a corner was put out wide with these players it meant the defense was in zone coverage.
    This is yet another reason to be excited about our rookie tight ends- it will give brady even more pre-snap info than he already had

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Spread'em Out Wide

Good point.  I'm sure we'll see plenty of spread offense this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

This is bittersweet for me. On one end, I'm happy that we'll have more weapons for Brady and on the other end, I want some more balance. I don't want "Deep ball to Moss, run for 1 yard, and then toss to Welker" The spread offense is exciting but I'd love to see long, methodical drives again. We saw glimpses last year but then we failed to convert into a TD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

"We saw glimpses last year but then we failed to convert into a TD." that's where the new tight ends will come in to play?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I want a running game this year. The second preseason game is how I'd like it. Open up the playaction with a smash mouth running game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Spread'em Out Wide:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spread'em Out Wide : How does more weaponry not mean more balance? More options means more balance.  This goes for the D, too. Expect more balance on both sides this year.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

I guess what I meant was that even with the weapons, if our play-calling isn't mixed up like it used to be then it will all be for naught.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Spread em wide with who?  Your great FA pickup is already gone(I told you he wasnt any good yet everyone here claimed he was the key, with TB throwing him the ball the Pats had the best rec. corp in the AFC East), welker is back from major knee surgery and edelman is ghost.  You want to line your TE up wide in a spread formation?  Who else?  You have to have recieving threats to spread it out or else you just leave your QB exposed with no protection. Protection will be key against the Jets.  Brady better wear some extra padding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

By Pat Kirwan  |  NFL.com
    Senior Analyst

During a recent sit-down with two NFL offensive line coaches, I was taken by surprise. What caught my attention is the apparent shift in philosophy when it comes to using the spread formation to protect the quarterback in passing situations.

The coaches, one active and the other retired, surprisingly favored five-man protections over six or seven blockers under certain conditions.

Years ago, both old-school coaches believed in getting everyone blocked, but now see the potential benefits of less protectors and the use of spread sets to neutralize the opposing pass rush. As one coach pointed out as a criticism of using six or seven men, "The more people I crowd in around the QB to get the blitz blocked up, the more people are capable of rushing the passer."

First, let's explore how a spread formation with an empty set (no back in the backfield) or a formation with one running back, who has a free release, can protect the passer. Both strategies are known as "scat" protection, which means the offensive line will declare the five defenders they will block, leaving the quarterback responsible for the other rushers with a quick release and an accurate pass.

While there's risk involved, the spread formation also moves the extra defenders away from pass rush lanes and makes it very difficult to get to the signal-caller in time. heres the rest http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818e0966&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

[QUOTE]Spread em wide with who?  Your great FA pickup is already gone(I told you he wasnt any good yet everyone here claimed he was the key, with TB throwing him the ball the Pats had the best rec. corp in the AFC East), welker is back from major knee surgery and edelman is ghost.  You want to line your TE up wide in a spread formation?  Who else?  You have to have recieving threats to spread it out or else you just leave your QB exposed with no protection. Protection will be key against the Jets.  Brady better wear some extra padding.
    Posted by whodeawhodat[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

LOL. Edelman is a ghost? Welker killed your D last time he played yall and still got no one to cover him. Tate, Edelman, Moss, Welker, Hernandez? Bring an uncondtioned Revis at us baby. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spread'em Out Wide : Is this English?  You are putting down people like Edelman in year 2, Brandon Tate and Aaron Hernandez?  Have you seen this team's preseason games yet? You think some team's gameplan will fluster Brady?  You don't get it. BB has TWO separate offenses installed here.  This isn't just the 2001-2005 low octane, but methodical offense or the 2006 spread offense with an improvement in 2007 with Moss and Welker where they say "try to stop us". This is BOTH.   BOTH. Anyone who has seen this offense so far questioning it's balance or ability to balance with upgraded personnel from 2009 is blind as a bat. You are so screwed in Week 2 you will only realize this after the game is over. You better have a better outing than last year's D did and you best hope Mark Sanchez plays the game of his life so far. Let me make this very clear to you: I will hound you mercilessly here after Week 2 if NY chokes at home to the Pats.

That's right Russ. Everyone should remember this. The Jets should absolutely destroy at home in week 2 and anything less than that will be a complete disgrace for the entire state of New York and half of New Jersey. I've never had the opportunity to see a team this good before the season started and they should set records this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think the ability to change gears and go from spread to a 3 TE set to anything in between will be key(and audible and disguise the Offense).  They could go with Moss, and Welker at WR and Hernandez at TE.  If the defense puts a heavy defense in than they can go no huddle and spread (No subs) Hernandez wide. 

Essentially they can look at the defense and attack it's week spots with versatility.  If they double Moss use the short game, if Moss is put in man coverage look for big chunks.  Offense looks very potent this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

[QUOTE]Look at this one: Tate    Crumpler or Gronkowski            Welker  Moss                                      Brady                                     Edelman Is this a run or a pass?  If it's a run, will Edelman throw it or run it?   I mean, take a look at the versatility and skill sets on this offense. It's better than 2007.

First off, i dont know that the heck you are throwing up there on this post? is that supposed to be a wildcat form?  Second, besides moss, you have some 1st and 2nd year players and a guy coming off major knee surgery.  If you get to discount big jenks, I get to discount Welker.  Honestly, I think both look very good at this point in camp.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

This forum is where I got the info that edelman is a ghost.  noone has seen or heard of him for a week. Did crable get to him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Good luck to you too.  I know it is going to be a tough game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Big Jenks may be 350 but he aint out there running full speed making cuts on a reconstructed knee.   Plus, welker is a brave little dood running those underneath crossing routes.  Thats where the big boys play and he could get knocked the eff out.  You saw my boy carry that 6'8 dood to the cart last night?  Big Boy looking stout!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The benefit of the new TE's and the improved running game is:

1) RedZone Play: Last year we did not convert on drives. The TE's and run game will give us the correct mix of power and option play. We see the RedZone conversion rate improve.

2) Late game points and ability to hang on the a lead. Both of these areas were weak last year because our weaker defense was on the field far too much late in the game. We can now slow the game down and keep our Offense on the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah I was looking forward to a Holt-Moss duo.  Two of the best receivers this decade would have been awesome.  Though I have to admit Ocho Cinco and TO are pretty funny.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Idealy I'd like to see an offense with balance that can keep defenses honest. To do that you need what we have at the reciever and the tight end position (barring injuries). The problem I see with the balance we need is the running back position. I don't trust any of these guys to stat healthy and even healthy they all have flaws. Maroney can't get you the extra yard and can't lean forward when there is nothing there. Never mind his lack of vision, instincts, pad level and I think just lack of maturity. Taylor can't stay healthy, never has and never will. Plus he is a very inconsistant reciever. I remember him dropping a pass against us in a playoff game that would have given his team a chance to win, it was just awfull and I thought, thank god he's not on my team. Morris has never been anything in this league except to fill in when someone goes down for a game or two. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Things have changed offensively to where we should see improvement in the running game.  Having a 3rd WR and some good young TEs can spread this thing out.  This should open up some holes.  Maroney isn't as expected but he isn't poor either.  He's in a contract year as well.  There's a lot on the line for him.  Taylor's health is always a concern but when he's on the field, wow.  Morris is very consistant.  A good back that I'm happy to have on the team.  To say he's been nothing is just plain silly. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

[QUOTE]That is right Maroney is in a contract year. Maybe he steps it up for the money....wouldnt be the first time.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

This logic could only help the Jets correct?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

all the posts about how many players the jets have coming up for FA next year.

Sections
Shortcuts