Spygate or Saints worse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Re: Spygate or Saints worse

Well considering you're not jeopardizing players careers by taping signals, I would have to say that the Saints situation is far worse.

Can't wait to see them get torn up by Rodger and the league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

its not close.....ive never thought spygate was a big deal anyway, just something blown up by the media.....but im really surprised to hear its the saints, ive thought of them as a classy organization

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

everybody watching that '09 nfc championship game knew the saints were playing dirty except the refs

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse:
    I'd think trying to hurt players and that is was sponsored by the coach is worse, but remember only the Patriots were disciplined for something every team was doing in regards to Spygate.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Absolutely worse. Trying to hurt players for bigger pay rewards is just wrong and goes way beyond the Spygate events. If some of you think it was just the Patriots pulling spygate, how niave. It is sad if other teams did similar payouts as the Saints.  Intent to hurt players is serious and goes way beyond winning, losing and sportsmanship.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from couldntthinkofone. Show couldntthinkofone's posts

spygate was cheating as much as taunting in the endzone or bumping a ref is cheating.

you broke a rule, you didnt cheat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Spygate or Saints worse : Spygate  didn't  potentially  damage  the  integrity  of  the  game.  It  did  damage  the  integrity  of  the  game.  It  was  cheating.  The  fact  that  other  clubs  were  doing  it, didn't  make  it  OK.  It's  difficult  to  compare  spygate  with  bountygate  b/c  they  are very  different  types  of  infractions.  But  as  Bruschi  said  today, anyyime  you  jeopardize  someone's  livelihood, it's  very  serious.  
    Posted by zeitgeist49

Just wanted to let you know, the Commish came on tv two weeks after spygate happend and said, and I quote, "the Patriots were not cheating".  So climb down off your high horse and get real about spygate!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Saints are by FAR the worse of the two.

Worse to steal your neighbor's car, or beat the crap out of an unsuspecting victim?

Neither is ok, but one is decidedly worse. Looking to intentionally cause physical harm to others beyond the normal course of the game is criminal. Nothing the Pats did could possibly cross over into real legal ramifications. This could.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : You need to read the post two messages prior to yours.  Spygate was much ado about nothing and had nothing at all to do with cheating.  The Pats didn't get anything at all that would have resulted in any edge for them.  If you believe that spygate was cheating, let me tell you a story about the Easter Bunny..........
    Posted by sfpat

The Easter Bunny !! Wasn't his name Harvey. And I thought the Bunny was real all of these years. Now I'm really upset. LOL

This is far worse than anything Spygate might have been which was absolutely nothing except hyped by the press as usual. Getting bonuses to potentially injure and possibly end a players career is very serious. Any player involved if known should be heavily fined along with any coach involved. The club should lose at least a first round draft choice. As for fines for the players or coaches it should be major, 25% or more of the yearly salary so they sit up and take notice. To a player making millions a year a $50-100,000 means little. Hit them where it hurts, in thier wallets. 

Hetchinspete.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In Response to Spygate or Saints worse : I'm gettin' too old for this crap, my blood pressure can't handle it. Repeat after me, Spygate was just like Seinfeld , a show about "nothing" This is the last time I will speak about the crock called "Spygate" The Patriots filmed on the sideliness, big whoop. If they had filmed from the stands that would have been OK, seriously. The Patriots never used films in the current game, proven. The game films would be usless in the next meeting of the same teams as teams change signals all the time. Spygate was a creation of the Patriot hating NY media who slams Boston every time it can. The rest was then PC correctness by Goodell to placate the Patriot hating NY media. End of BS Story for criss sakes....
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Spygate was an issue blown up by the uninformed fans and media.  It was nothing more than a technicality.  Good link above to bleacher report which explains it all.  Moving on from that...

I think the bounty thing is definitely worse.  However, the Saints are just the team getting caught.  It has been done for awhile and will be done again in the future.

BTW, the common denominator in isn't Kyle Williams, but Gregg Williams.

Tell you what...look at the coaches involved during these bounty-gate stories.  Gregg Williams, Jeff Fisher, Jim Schwartz...see a pattern?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

This is far worse than video taping.  This affects peoples careers and quality of life.  The players involved should be suspended.  They are adults and should know better.  The coach should be banned for life from the NFL.  The saints should be penalized.  Maybe the Patriots will lose the first round this year and get the first round next year.  It definately will be a better pick than 27th with all this happening.  And BB will not even have to make a trade!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In Response to Spygate or Saints worse : I'm gettin' too old for this crap, my blood pressure can't handle it. Repeat after me, Spygate was just like Seinfeld , a show about "nothing" This is the last time I will speak about the crock called "Spygate" The Patriots filmed on the sideliness, big whoop. If they had filmed from the stands that would have been OK, seriously. The Patriots never used films in the current game, proven. The game films would be usless in the next meeting of the same teams as teams change signals all the time. Spygate was a creation of the Patriot hating NY media who slams Boston every time it can. The rest was then PC correctness by Goodell to placate the Patriot hating NY media. End of BS Story for criss sakes....
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting

Perhaps  you'd  like  to  believe  it  was  a  show  about  nothing.  But  it  must  have  been  about  something  for  BB  to  give  up  $500, 000  without  complaining  and  for  Kraft  to  give  up  $250,000.  Plus  the  PATS  gave  up  a  1st  round  draft  choice.  The  PATS  cheated.  Other  teams  may  have  been  doing  the  exact  same  thing  and  didn't  get  caught.  But  that  doesn't  make  it  OK.  Atleast  be  honest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

maybe the saints will be forced to vacate their wins, thus giving them a 0-16 record and giving the pats the #1 pick in the draft?  that would upset the colts/rams!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : Perhaps  you'd  like  to  believe  it  was  a  show  about  nothing.  But  it  must  have  been  about  something  for  BB  to  give  up  $500, 000  without  complaining  and  for  Kraft  to  give  up  $250,000.  Plus  the  PATS  gave  up  a  1st  round  draft  choice.  The  PATS  cheated.  Other  teams  may  have  been  doing  the  exact  same  thing  and  didn't  get  caught.  But  that  doesn't  make  it  OK.  Atleast  be  honest.
    Posted by zeitgeist49

NOMORE has it right. With the political and arbitrary nature of the NFL front office what did you expect ? punishment you could believe in!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : Perhaps  you'd  like  to  believe  it  was  a  show  about  nothing.  But  it  must  have  been  about  something  for  BB  to  give  up  $500, 000  without  complaining  and  for  Kraft  to  give  up  $250,000.  Plus  the  PATS  gave  up  a  1st  round  draft  choice.  The  PATS  cheated.  Other  teams  may  have  been  doing  the  exact  same  thing  and  didn't  get  caught.  But  that  doesn't  make  it  OK.  Atleast  be  honest.
    Posted by zeitgeist49

Right, because neither the crime nor the details surrounding the transgression offer up a better scale in which to deem the weight of someone's guilt...  It's far better to weigh the objective scale of justice based off of the ESPN commentary of Chris Mortensen, along with the arbitrary & randomness of the Sentence ya received from whomever the judge was that day, and however he felt that day that he sentenced you...  Educated rationale right there.

Anyway, back to realistic takes on newsworthy events... Question posed to ALL?  See, other than here, I haven't read up on the precise details surrounding this NO's Accusation, so maybe someone can help me (note: ya see, I no longer make any attempt to try to stay versed in the most current events; Instead, US Media bein' what it currently is, I try to wait for the b#llsh#t and dust to settle after a month or two prior to me caring enough to read any article on the event...saner this way).  My Question:  So The Saints did a "Bounty System", right?  Got that aspect...but now, WAS there in fact, bounties based on taking oppossing players outta the game (Injury as opposed to "big hits" and the like)?  Second Question:  In paying these "bounties", WERE they, or were they not being paid off the team salary cap books and under the table (As opposed to them being somehow wrapped up within individual players and "Added bonuses based on performance")?  Because, No- Looking at this second question through any moral/idealistic visor, It certainly Should NOT matter...  But realistically...?  And solely in terms of garnering cash or whatever benefits not included within NO's hard team slary cap number, It definately DOES matter...      

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

No comparison. Saint's bounty program is despicable- to pay to inflict carreer ending injuries on opponents is lower than low.
    Shocking. I didn't have the Saints pegged as a thug team.

Goodell needs to ratchet up the consequences for this team sanctioned practice big time. I would expect nothing less than multiple suspensions, huge fines to every player who participated and the team. I would expect the defense coach to be fired and banned from the NFL for life.

This goes beyond "dirty" play. All involved could have not only ended an opposing player's career they could have inflicted the kind of injury that leaves a player in a wheel chair or wore for the rest of their lives.

A huge black blot on the NFL. The Saints? Wow.
    Heads need to roll. Now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

With all due respect to OP, this thread is completely idiotic. To even put the two things in the same sentence is beyond ridiculous. It's the kind of garbage thread I would expect form Communist. Or whatever he's calling himself this week.

It would be like comparing someone getting a speeding ticket for going 36 in a 35mph zone to someone that gets arrested for raping and killing children because they both broke the law.

There is absolutely ZERO comparison. And anybody that would use the Saints' situation as an excuse to bring up the pathetic Spygate crap again is a joke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Like WeDerr himself says...  Chances are that Goodell will make an exacting example outta NO's bounty system which puts players health at risk, In the exact same manner that he made a terribly harsh example (*cough) of The New York Jets after Coaches and Players lined up in a sideline wall on punt returns in order to trip up the oppossing teams' gunners, with the actual results of them getting injured...  Yup, ya can always count on Ole Commish Goodell to play the Rule Card, fair & square...  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

You mean the wall technique they learned from a former pats player?  that one?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

It's far worse than Spygate, in addition to the intent to injure, it's also a direct violation of the NFL's salary cap.
    Posted by JB-3

like paying players in practice to start fights?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : Goodells rules prohibit taping from the sideline.  It is the placement of the camera that's the issue, not the taping itself.  Whos's to say they only taped when the O was on the field, any way?
    Posted by pezz4pats

so why didn't belichick turn in the jets?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : You need to read the post two messages prior to yours.  Spygate was much ado about nothing and had nothing at all to do with cheating.  The Pats didn't get anything at all that would have resulted in any edge for them.  If you believe that spygate was cheating, let me tell you a story about the Easter Bunny..........
    Posted by sfpat

fandom at its best right here folks.  So sfpat - should the saints be penalized?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

What the Saints have done is so much worse.  People and Coaches putting up money to take people out, to physically injure someone.  There is a difference between playing with the attitude of wanting to hurt someone and people putting money down to go out and actually play to hurt someone.  While the Saints hit on Kurt Warner was considered "clean" it really was one of the most brutal, dirty and cowardly hits on a QB I think I have ever seen.  And now news of this comes out.  Wow, lost a lot of respect for that team and their coaches today.
    Posted by TFB12

And yet there are plenty of comments already from former players and coaches that this was a commonplace.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I'd think trying to hurt players and that is was sponsored by the coach is worse, but remember only the Patriots were disciplined for something every team was doing in regards to Spygate.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Do you have proof that every team was doing it.  I know Dungy said the colts weren't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Spygate or Saints worse : so why didn't belichick turn in the jets?
    Posted by UD6

Because it was never a big deal until someone made it a big deal.
    I would think that knowing that a team was intentionally targeting your star player for extra monetary gain and in doing so, would give that team an advantage IN THE GAME, would be a huge deal.
    He also stated that the Saints were doing it in the SB in 09 but they didn't succeed.  What if they had and he could have stopped it 3 years earlier?
    You don't think he had an obligation to stop an illegal and dangerous practice?
    Please!

Sections
Shortcuts