Spygate vs Chokegate

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2nj. Show boston2nj's posts

Re: Spygate vs Chokegate

As a Pats fan, defending the Colts gives me heartburn but they did not go anything wrong. It happens in every sport towards the end of the season once a team wraps up the division. For some reason the Colts organization did not want to take a shot an immortality, but decided rest was more important. It has not worked for them in the past, but only time will tell.
    If I were a Colts fan or player, I think I would be outraged this morning. There was nothing more exciting in 2007 watching the Pats go for 19-0. So few teams ever get a shot at that, that even if the Colts go on to win the SB there will always be talk of we could have been 19-0.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The colts blew it big time. If the lost the the game with their starters in, I bet this would be a non issue, but the intentionally tank a game is inexcuseable and should be punished

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Boston2, While the Colts did nothing wrong legally they did something very wrong to their fans. Unfortunately most Colt fans carry a large backpack full of false pride which will never allow them to admit it. If I were a Colts season ticket holder that would be it for me. It's hard enough scraping up the dough to buy season tickets just to get stabbed in the back by a Narcissistic ego-Maniac like Polian. I don't blame Caldwell because he is just a puppet getting his marching orders from the top. They had a chance at NFL Immortality and they chose to be just another passive observer.(Jafo)
    The reason I know how much this hurts Colts fans is because I know how good it made me feel to see them tank it. The NFL is a swinging Pendulum and all the Colts fans that have found pleasure in the ups and downs of this years Pats are feeling the bite a little today.
    If you want to talk about pressure now this Colts season will be considered a complete failure if they come up anything short of a SuperBowl Victory. And Colts fans will try and say that they just need one victory in the Playoffs for Validation but we all will know truth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Encinitas, How about the PI that was not called on the jets yesterday?  How about the roughing the kicker call?  How about the 2 holds on the kick return?  Very convienent for your arguement to not include these things when being critical of the refs in colts games.  The same goes for calls in the colts pats game.  If you are going to complain about calls be rational enough to admit that the pats get calls too.  No OPI on the pats TE yesterday on a touchdown catch?  Please. 

At least I admit the colts get calls.  You only want to play homer and never admit a thing.  You are nothing more than a blind fan.  Good for you, but when you do that you lose your ability to argue.

beating the "team of the decade" 5 of the last 6 times defines the colts where the pats are concerned.

The gaffney call was a bad call, period.  Everyone knows it.  The no-hold call on the Welker return vs. the colts was bad.  

And finally, it may grind your digestive system that the colts have the right to choose the players they play while playing teams that have playoff possibilities, but 1) the colts did not make the schedule.  If the NFL were concerned about this, then given the fact that the colts, including this year, will have gone to the playoffs in 10 of the last 11 years you'd think they would guarantee end of season games against teams that would not have a chance for the playoffs.  But then again, don't those teams also have a right to determine their destiny.  Who thought Cincy was going to the playoffs or Denver?  Who thought Tennessee would start 0-6 after starting 13-0 last year.  The NFL gives the team that wins the coin toss the right to defer their decision until the second half.  Shouldn't they be required to decide then?  2) the colts did not play for any of the prior 14 games of any of the teams in playoff contention.  If the colts earn the right to play second stringers without hurting their playoff chances, don't they deserve that?  Teams rest healthy players in baseball.  They do it in basketball. 

you are just looking for a reason to hate the colts.  What you are, is jealous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Can't believe this whining.  They clinched home field and rested their starters.  How awful.  We did the same thing in 2005 - it was pretty obvious we ordered Cassel to throw the ball out of the endzone so we wouldn't play overtime or face the Steelers. 

Don't know why there is such hatred for the Colts on this board.  Maybe because they threaten us for the title of bestest team of the decade?  They're a good conference rival.  Get over it and pray we don't start Wilhite in the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

Good topic - I just saw one of Bill Polians But boys - Chris Mortenson searching for excuses for the Colts. He was babbling on about something going back to the days of Buffalo resting guys during their 4 trip to the Superbowl. What a putz!

Chris - We will never forget your beating the drum trying to get Goodell to go after the Patriots after all was said and done. You a two faced fink!

And yes - There should be rules put in place for teams to have to play starters. Is bad enough that our current president wants us to be more like Euro Trash. Please lets not become Euro Sport Sissies on top of everything else!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

To all the nay sayers blowing this off typical football and the Patriots did the same. THIS IS NOT THE SAME. The colts had a shot a history. This is what this is all about. This is not about some ripped up team backing into the playoffs then resting guys so they have a glimmer of hope. This is a shot at history. The Cots fans wanted it, the fans of the NFL wanted is and the Colts players wanted it.

It was all taken away by one arrogant GM a55 and a weak coach. They deserve not to play in the playoffs for what they did.

I suppose if you hit a home run in baseball now you don't need to run the bases.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

First: 6/30/2009
    Last: 12/28/2009

To all the nay sayers blowing this off typical football and the Patriots did the same. THIS IS NOT THE SAME. The colts had a shot a history. This is what this is all about. This is not about some ripped up team backing into the playoffs then resting guys so they have a glimmer of hope. This is a shot at history. The Cots fans wanted it, the fans of the NFL wanted is and the Colts players wanted it.

Well said Pymus!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Again, if they were 13-1 or whatever and had homefield locked, then sit the starters. Underdogg, you're saying it made sense to pull Manning because he got hit hard one time, and wasn't late, it was just shocking to see Manning get touched.

What they did yesterday was gutless. Even though this year's Colts aren't one of the all-time great teams from a talent standpoint and haven't been dominant in all of their wins, they simply gave away the opportunity to stand alone.

BTW, the NFL is gonna be pissed. I wouldn't be surprised if the ticky-tacky calls that the Colts seem to get become none calls in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Mighty - Is that true - about throwing the ball out of the endzone so that the team would not have to possibly face the steelers?  Wow!!  Their are some very very insecure pats fans on this board.  Careful, you'll be labeled a troll. 

I am not comfortable with the decision.  I do think they should have gone for it, but as I said in an earlier post, the jets were out for blood with their hits and play (i.e. Bart Scott's blatant trip of Brown in the first - I wish brown would have seen it and kicked him in the balls).

All in all, the colts better win their first playoff game.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phluff17. Show phluff17's posts

ud, you seriously need to get a life.  hundreds of posts on an opposing team's message board?  i feel sorry for you, you must be a pretty insecure person.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

So the Colts would have been winning had there not been a "late hit" on Geyton and if there weren't a "holds" on the kickoff return.

If there's not a such thing as the Colts Complex, I'm calling dibs on it right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Underdoggg, you are actually the perfect embodiment of why most Patriot fans hate the Colts; your holier than thou attitude in regards to your team. We New Englanders generally scorn those who think their defecate smells just a little bit better than anyone else. The whole filming controversy was nothing more than yellow journalism at its very finest

Casual fans of football, those who are non-partisan of either the Colts or Patriots, comment on the never-ending good luck that the Colts receive at the hands of refs........that point of view comes from too many different places to be simply an anomaly

Underdoggg, you asked for clarity about another posters claim regarding the Colts getting the rules changed. Of course he was referring to the Colts whining so much after their 2 playoff losses to the Pats that the league, while not inventing a new rule, placed an entirely new emphasis on how the existing rules were to be interpreted in pass defense situations, a ruling that was immediately benefical to the Colts finesse style of flag football.

Underdoggg, which team won the most regular season games in the 1960's?, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's? Can't name them without looking them up? Neither can I and that would be the entire point in the "team of the decade debate" I think we can all name who the teams of those decades were and it had something to do with CHAMPIONSHIPS won. ( Though I admit that I couldn't really care less about who writers like Peter King award the distinction to, last I knew that title team of the decade doesn't come with a trophy)

Having said all that, I have no problem with the Colts benching their best players in the game yesterday, it is their perogative. I would say that they have tried this tactic before and I feel that their level of play suffered as theirs is an intricate offense that requires timing - you lose that when you don't play much.

Lastly - Underdoggg, you said you have seen no team that scares you this year - have you watched the Chargers? They look pretty good. I'd much rather see the Patriots facing the Colts in the 2nd round then the Chargers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bn34. Show bn34's posts

Can't believe this whining.  They clinched home field and rested their starters.  How awful.  We did the same thing in 2005 - it was pretty obvious we ordered Cassel to throw the ball out of the endzone so we wouldn't play overtime or face the Steelers. 

Don't know why there is such hatred for the Colts on this board.  Maybe because they threaten us for the title of bestest team of the decade?  They're a good conference rival.  Get over it and pray we don't start Wilhite in the playoffs.

One of the best posts I've ever read.  Couldn't have said it better.  Pats fans should care less about the Colts and worry about their team's inability to beat a good team on the road.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm all for hating the Colts, but let's be real, who cares if they sat their own players? The teams on the playoff bubble? Waaahhhhhhhhh! Win a game or two more, and don't rely on SOMEONE ELSE LOSING! I think it was a stupid decision mostly because they were at home, the fans are rightly outraged, as well they should be. You don't do that to your own fans at home. There is little to be gained by sitting the starters at that point. Playing 20 minutes less of football will make them more energetic at the end of a possible Super Bowl they may, or may not play in?

Stop saying the Jets were "looking for blood" and point to one dirty play by one dirty player. It was bad, I personally thought an ejection was warranted, but give me a break, that's who Bart Scott is, a punk. Always has been, and he plays for a punk of a coach, so no surprise there. How about the one missed PI call? Seriously, a Colt fan is whing about any PI call at all? That's a joke. How about the one that WAS called on the Jets, yet the ref couldn't give a number of the offending player (happens rarely), the announcers made no mention of it (when do the announcers blatently ignore anything happening on the field?), and the broadcast offered no replay, which is normally common practice on 99% of penalties. Phantom call, just like the many they have been getting recently.

I have noticed one thing, the Colt WR are obviously being coached to pull up short of the ball, and let the defender run up his back, sometimes even leaning into it a-la the NBA. Pathetic. Sure, it's within the rules, but I can't think of a bigger chump play to rely on. I've seen it happen too many times to think it's a coincidence. Hey, it works, so I guess go for it...but don't be surprised when people start calling you big, gaping vages.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The colts did not tank, they lost, the loss was invetable, they made it look like they could have gone 16-0 but it was an illusion, they are not a 16-0 caliber team. They did not change the course of history, Manning would have lost if he stayed in the game. The Jets were just better on Sunday..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Mighty - Is that true - about throwing the ball out of the endzone so that the team would not have to possibly face the steelers?  Wow!!  Their are some very very insecure pats fans on this board.  Careful, you'll be labeled a troll.

Yes, back in 2005.  Everyone agrees it was a great decision.  I don't get this rabid hatred for the Colts.  It's not like they're the Jets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why are Patriots fans talking about the Colts?  Why do you slow down and look if there's a wreck?  Human nature.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

qball - just as the media went rabid over spygate, so too have they done so with the colts getting calls.  As you know the media attempts to tell us all what we should think.  you say spygate was yellow journalism, but then you use the media to validate your condemnation of the colts.  Irony? Wink  No one is focusing on the calls the colts did not get, because they did not matter.  The colts still won.  But the colts getting calls is a great controversial story (spygatelike) and it has everyone talking and now you are using that.  You are like a hollywood star dancing with the paparazi.  Hate them when you don't want them, use them when you do. 

Chargers do look very very very good.  Rivers is spot on with his throws and their big receivers create mismatches. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Underdoggg - I wasn't actually using the media to support my point about Colts/officiating - I believe I said casual fans - this is not the only blog I read - though it's the only one I contribute to Wink

I agree with you, the media tells us what we should think, critical thinking classes should be mandatory at the high school level.

I disagree with you about the media sensationalizing any aspect of any potential favoritism shown to the Colts - no national, or major local media outlet would ever write a story like that, they would risk having their access revoked and potential liability issues to boot, since most of the calls favoring the Colts are pass interference, the most subjective call there is.

You rarely read about any egregious call in any game, even if it directly affects the outcome, major writers are nothing more than shills for the league.

Underdoggg, I am going to do a little research and get back to you, the subject being simply PI calls for and against the Colts in the Manning era. Stay tuned

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

qball - I'll wait with bated breath.  I am sure your results will be objective. snicker

Sections
Shortcuts