SS Danieal Manning Released By Texans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

SS Danieal Manning Released By Texans

After SS Danieal Manning refused to take a pay cut, the Houston Texans signed saftey Chris Clemons, and swiftly released Manning. At age 32 (in August), could this guy help the Patriots, for the right price? Manning, a former pro-bowler in 2008, has also been a good KR over the years, which is something that the Patriots need: http://www.nfl.com/player/daniealmanning/2495892/profile 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: SS Danieal Manning Released By Texans

This guy can play the nickel too.  But if he balked at taking a pay cut from the Texans, not sure he'd come to the Pats for less.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

This guy can play the nickel too.  But if he balked at taking a pay cut from the Texans, not sure he'd come to the Pats for less.

Actually, he agreed to take a pay cut, but for not as much as the Texans wanted. Could it be that, by doing this, he calculated that it could be his way out of a rebuilding situation in Houston? At this stage of his career, my guess is that he'd play for less with a contending team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

Actually, he agreed to take a pay cut, but for not as much as the Texans wanted. Could it be that, by doing this, he calculated that it could be his way out of a rebuilding situation in Houston? At this stage of his career, my guess is that he'd play for less with a contending team. 

That's a good point.  Pats ought to do their due diligence on the guy.  Wouldn't help to have another veteran safety.  Hopefully he's recovered from his injury. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Edit button still doesn't work.  It *would help to have another veteran safety.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Any vet released at postions of need is kind of like a stock your thinking of buying......you'd be stupid not to due your due diligence. Over 30 and coming off a major injury with something to prove. Sounds like a BB type of guy to me............

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That injury and coming from another system is a bit concerning for me. If they cut A. Wilson right away it might be worth bringing in another vet (provided they have another backup plan in place other than just Harmon) but not sure what value he'd give more than just camp comp for A. Wilson at this point. How much are you willing to give upfront to see if either him or A. Wilson can make it through camp?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

That injury and coming from another system is a bit concerning for me. If they cut A. Wilson right away it might be worth bringing in another vet (provided they have another backup plan in place other than just Harmon) but not sure what value he'd give more than just camp comp for A. Wilson at this point. How much are you willing to give upfront to see if either him or A. Wilson can make it through camp?

Manning had a severe hyper-extension knee injury last year. I don't know whether surgery was required. Obviously, he must be 100% before any offer is made: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/106310/cushing-manning-injuries-part-of-trend 

Are you still holding out a candle for Adrian Wilson? That ship has sailed.

Do you feel comfortable with the idea on playing Logan Ryan at FS, and moving Devin McCourty to SS? Or, starting Duron Harmon at SS?

I like Manning if he's healthy, and for the right price.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Manning had a severe hyper-extension knee injury last year. I don't know whether surgery was required. Obviously, he must be 100% before any offer is made: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/106310/cushing-manning-injuries-part-of-trend 

Do you feel comfortable with the idea on playing Logan Ryan at FS, and moving Devin McCourty to SS? Or, starting Duron Harmon at SS?

McCourty has found his position. Dont try to change it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I was the first one to say A. Wilson didn't have much left right before he signed here so no I don't have any hope for him. But, at his age that's a pretty serious injury and the Pats aren't exactly known for checking out injures before signing (Fanene and A. Wilson) so not sure how I'd feel about bringing Manning in if it consumes resources to do so. With McCourty, Revis, and Browner yes I'm a little more comfortable letting Harmon start but only because we have those guys

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I was the first one to say A. Wilson didn't have much left right before he signed here so no I don't have any hope for him.

RESPONSE: Like you, I hated the Wilson signing from the get-go. He was too old, and was clearly on the slide...having lost his starting job in Arizona.

But, at his age that's a pretty serious injury and the Pats aren't exactly known for checking out injures before signing (Fanene and A. Wilson) so not sure how I'd feel about bringing Manning in if it consumes resources to do so.

RESPONSE: I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea just how serious the injury to Manning was...or whether he's completely recovered. As for the Pats "not being known to check out injuries before signing players", please don't get me started on BB the GM. That's inexcusable. BB dropping the ball on those two guys alone really hurt his team...as the Patriots still have a gaping hole at SS, and on the DL.  

With McCourty, Revis, and Browner yes I'm a little more comfortable letting Harmon start but only because we have those guys

RESPONSE: Sorry...but nothing I saw last year led me to be believe that Harmon is anything more than special teams fodder.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I bet he got that injury from their (Texans) crappy field. The NFL should step in, like they do everything else and make them fix it or go to field turf.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I can't see the Patriots spending money at this point in time, they are at 4.25 mil in available in cap space and they need 4 mil of that for draft picks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

NO...so I'd bring this guy in and check him out...a one year contract can't hurt that much and it might be attractive to him because we have a legit shot to go all the way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I would bring him in for sure. But we might have to make some cuts or restructures to make some room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

I would bring him in for sure. But we might have to make some cuts or restructures to make some room.

Well...if he works out for them and looks like he'll start, you could cut Grampa Wilson to start

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I pass on him. I want Harmon to get those starting reps and I think he will be up to the task. 

also, I don't endorse Ryan playing safety. He showed much promise last year, and this will not be a mccourty redux. Plus, nothing is given next year on revis nor browner and ryan needs to get his reps. If I convert anyone, its Arrington. I have been saying it forever it seems, but Arrington might be a nice SS..sure tackler, not afraid to lay it, and can cover the short stuff. Use revis, browner, dennard, Ryan, arrington as your CBs (in that order)...rotate Harmon and Arrington at SS. Arrington can play cb also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

I can't see the Patriots spending money at this point in time, they are at 4.25 mil in available in cap space and they need 4 mil of that for draft picks.

Is this their cap number after restructuring Vince's deal? I'm not happy with their decision not to resign LeGarrette Blount, when it would have only cost them $4mil. over two years.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I pass on him. I want Harmon to get those starting reps and I think he will be up to the task.

RESPONSE: I've seen nothing from Harmon to justify your faith. For the what...the 5th straight year...SS remains a weak link in the "D"? Inexcusable. 

also, I don't endorse Ryan playing safety. He showed much promise last year, and this will not be a mccourty redux. Plus, nothing is given next year on revis nor browner and ryan needs to get his reps.

RESPONSE: Nothing is a given next year on Revis or Browner...and we may need Ryan to play CB? Revis is one of the three best CBs in the game, and Browner is a better player than anything else, other than Revis, that the Pats have at CB. But, if your concern is about potential injuries and depth, wouldn't it make sense to bring aboard a proven veteran, if healthy and for the right price, who can play a least decently at SS? That way, the Pats could keep McCourty at FS, and Ryan at CB. Manning, unlike Adrian Wilson last year, was still starting, before being felled by  knee injury...and is two years younger (32) than Wilson. Manning was also still a good KR, prior to his injury. Having Manning around gives the Pats a potential upgrade over the departed Steve Gregory, and some quality depth. Certainly, Harmon at SS is no "given".  

If I convert anyone, its Arrington. I have been saying it forever it seems, but Arrington might be a nice SS..sure tackler, not afraid to lay it, and can cover the short stuff. Use revis, browner, dennard, Ryan, arrington as your CBs (in that order)...rotate Harmon and Arrington at SS. Arrington can play cb also.

RESPONSE: With all the problems that the Pats have had filling the SS position, I have to think that, if BB thought that Arrington could man the position, that he would have moved Arrington there by now. 

Manning aside, I thought that the Pats made a mistake in not resigning RB LeGarrette Blount. As was the case with losing Woodhead last year, I think that they'll regret losing Blount.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

RESPONSE: I've seen nothing from Harmon to justify your faith. For the what...the 5th straight year...SS remains a weak link in the "D"? Inexcusable. 

also, I don't endorse Ryan playing safety. He showed much promise last year, and this will not be a mccourty redux. Plus, nothing is given next year on revis nor browner and ryan needs to get his reps.

RESPONSE: Nothing is a given next year on Revis or Browner...and we may need Ryan to play CB? Revis is one of the three best CBs in the game, and Browner is a better player than anything else, other than Revis, that the Pats have at CB. But, if your concern is about potential injuries and depth, wouldn't it make sense to bring aboard a proven veteran, if healthy and for the right price, who can play a least decently at SS? That way, the Pats could keep McCourty at FS, and Ryan at CB. Manning, unlike Adrian Wilson last year, was still starting, before being felled by  knee injury...and is two years younger (32) than Wilson. Manning was also still a good KR, prior to his injury. Having Manning around gives the Pats a potential upgrade over the departed Steve Gregory, and some quality depth. Certainly, Harmon at SS is no "given".  

If I convert anyone, its Arrington. I have been saying it forever it seems, but Arrington might be a nice SS..sure tackler, not afraid to lay it, and can cover the short stuff. Use revis, browner, dennard, Ryan, arrington as your CBs (in that order)...rotate Harmon and Arrington at SS. Arrington can play cb also.

RESPONSE: With all the problems that the Pats have had filling the SS position, I have to think that, if BB thought that Arrington could man the position, that he would have moved Arrington there by now. 

Manning aside, I thought that the Pats made a mistake in not resigning RB LeGarrette Blount. As was the case with losing Woodhead last year, I think that they'll regret losing Blount.

TP,

pi thought Harmon filled in reasonably well last year when needed. Anyway, you might have a different opinion.

on the revis and browner comment...bb may not elect to pay revis, thus nothing is given his situation. Browner to a degree, but its more displinary than contractual. I would rather have Ryan play cb because he looked very good last year and with another year under his belt, I could see him overtaking Dennard for the 3 spot behind revis and browner. 

You may be right on Arrington...but I thought the cb position as well as safety has been up in the air until talibs arrival, then with his injuries, I thought Arrington was forced to play cb. 

Maybe in this newly Improved secondary, cb and safety as traditional positions mean less? Just get your 4-5 best secondary players out there based on need..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I would haved like taking either Clemons or R.Jones from Miami but I'll pass on Manning. he is another  CB type S and I believe we have enough of the hybrids already. I like his speed but We need a traditional thumper IMO..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mWwzhwbFo

Maybe this ^ Guy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It apparently didn't take long for Danieal Manning to find work...as he reportedly is about to sign a one year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/danieal-manning-finishing-up-a-one-year-deal-with-bengals/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

Looks like he's heading to Cincy. Pats signed Pat Chung today. 

Sections
Shortcuts