Stallworth to Return to Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Stallworth to Return to Pats?

It would seem to make a lot of sense, especially in light of the Welker knee injury: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/02/10/stallworth_plans_a_tryout/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SidewayZ29. Show SidewayZ29's posts

Re: Stallworth to Return to Pats?

I would love to see Stallworth Back. He nows Brady and the systems and to be honest was under used the first time he was here. I would love to see him back. Emense talent that should have gotten many more balls in 07' than he did. He is one of the best free agents out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAT-from-India. Show PAT-from-India's posts

I too want him back.. he will be available for very less money and knows the system as well. Plus has very good yardage after the catch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I'm all set with having a murderer on the team. He can have a second chance. I just don't want it to be here. Let the Bengals sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree, and I don't know why this is not discussed more often here as a natural solution. He is relatively young, is talented enough to burn you for doubling off Moss and Bracketing Welker/Edelman, and doesn't cost a fortune in picks or long-term high dollars commitment, AND he knows the system as well as any FA WR out there. 

My only thought is that IF they don't push that acquisition, then they weren't happy with his progression, although I sincerely doubt that myself. 

I think he would be exactly what NE needs to solidify that spot short term. They also need to develop another young WR from the draft, AND start developing another TE from the draft, AND get a legit RB. Not to mention a credible and healthy RG and RT/LT swing player. 

They have their work cut out for them, but doesn't Stallworth seem like such a  slam dunk solution?????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I agree.  I've been a huge proponent of bringing Stallworth back.  The fit is so perfect, that I expect the Patriots to show zero interest in him, and leave me scratching my head.  Just the way things have gone lately.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Right, it had nothing to do with the fact that Stallworth had huge bonuses in the remainder of his contract that would have kicked in if they picked up the option after the first year.  That contract would have tied the Patriots' hands behind their backs on the salary cap.  He had 46 receptions for 700 yards in limited playing time.  That's productive, and if his contract was more affordable, they WOULD have kept him.  They signed him to that deal before they got Moss, and they had to give Moss his big contract after 2007, so they couldn't afford to keep Stallworth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Stallworth to Return to Pats?:
    If Kraft wouldn't sign a woman beater (Jason Pieter), why would/should he sign a murderer?  I like the fact that teams don't do what goofy fans want them to do.  It makes being a fan more enjoyable. Victor Kiam gave in to the moron fans and signed Flutie and I had to suffer through it. I think the reason he was let go (and that Gaffney got ahead of him) was that he was in BB's dog house; the geniuses in the crowd here don't seem to realize that.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Hmm, I thought he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

So, why was Gaffney let go?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Everybody was productive in 07 the offense was off the charts. I doubt he would be quite as effective in this predictable offense with Brady spending most of his time running for his life.

And has it occured to you that the next time this idiot gets drunk and goes for a drive, maybe it's one of your family members he mows down? Yeah that's exactly what Mass needs: another drunk roaming the streets. As long as he can catch a football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I totally agree with Zeb concerning Stallworth.
    Unfortunately, the Pats has done so badly lately in picking FA WR that I fear they will pass on him or try to get him on the (too) cheap (ala Gaffney).

I also think it is high time to draft a stud WR and develop him before Moss is done.

Where I disagree is about picking (high) a TE and a RB.
    NE is using TEs mainly as blockers. No need to waste a high pick for getting a glorified offensive lineman. Beside that, NE history in wasting high picks on TEs is well documented (Graham, Watson, Thomas).
    With the NFL becoming a passing first league the RB position is not any longer a position where you need a star. RBs have in average a short carreer (ask LT about hitting the 30 wall) and you don't need a stud to have a good team (Indy was the NFL worst running team but still reached the Superbowl). So again, no need to waste a high draft pick on a RB in the upcoming draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

he is what they hoped Galloway could be

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Stallworth to Return to Pats? : Hmm, I thought he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. So, why was Gaffney let go?
    Posted by EnochRoot

Uh-Oh. Stand by for a lecture from the professor on the differences between murder and involuntary manslaughter, Enoch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

I live in Miami and the spot where the accident happened is basically a huge offramp/bridge coming from the expressway. There is no sidewalk there so I don't know what the poor guy was doing walking there. He jaywalked accross a freeway basically and Stallworth tried to flash his lights, honk his horn to warn the guy to get out of the way. Calling Stallworth a murdered because of that is being ignorant. I agree that its a very tragic occurance but Stallworth showed remorse and full cooperation with the situation. If hardcore Godell forgave him and believes he shows remorse and derserves a second chance, the Patriots should at least look into adding him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I always thought Stallworth was under-used when he was with the Pats.

There must be a reason for that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

I always thought Stallworth was under-used when he was with the Pats. There must be a reason for that.
    Posted by p-mike

I think it had a lot to do with there being more comfort with Gaffney, since he had been on the team for a year already. Plus Stallworth's contract was one of those one and done types where if you don't release the guy after one year the bonuses and salaries escalate pretty highly, so they saw that and prefered to focus on Gaffney.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmassgreg. Show wmassgreg's posts

I'm all set with having a murderer on the team. He can have a second chance. I just don't want it to be here. Let the Bengals sign him.
    Posted by dafoe

dafoe that is such a childish reply!! havnt you ever heard of mistakes and second chances. your comment makes me think your an idiot but hey id give you a second chance. what happened with stallworth was a carelessmistake on his part. but that being said everybody deserves a second chance. look at ray lewis he was accused of murdering someone and i bet you would love to have him n the patriots. if stallworth wasnt drinking the man would not havebeen hit or died. so again very bad judgement on his part but let me ask you this how many people have driven drunk that reads these forums i bet 90 % i know i have on more than one occasion when i used to drink. its a stupid choice but a commonly made choice by just about all of america.

and yes i would love to have him on the pats again

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

"so again very bad judgement on his part but let me ask you this how many people have driven drunk that reads these forums i bet 90 % i know i have on more than one occasion when i used to drink. its a stupid choice but a commonly made choice by just about all of america."

well apparantly patsfan is perfect and has never done anything wrong. Same here wmassgreg, I too have done that in the past and it is stupid and careless but hey, nobody is perfect. I believe I remember reading that Stallworth's blood alcohol level wasn't very high which pretty much means that being "drunk" wasn't the main reason why it happened.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Yes he was drunk, but everyone neglects to mention that they guy he hit was jaywalking on a very busy road....he made a stupid mistake, he's not a murderer.
    Posted by FishTaco64

The family realized that the guy was also responsible & is one of the reasons the sentence is what it was.They realized that he made a mistake & they didn't pull the "poor me, it's all your fault BS" that is ruining this country. They manned up for him. It was an unfortunat accident, but that's life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Well, clearly the guy had it coming. I mean where the hell does he come off walking around in public like that. I just hope someday the Stallworth family can overcome pain and agony this thoughtless degenerate caused them. At the very least the man's family could pay to have Donte's automobile repaired.

And involuntary manslaughter? Really? That's a nice neat little term. It almost sounds like he was forced to do it. I mean it was involuntary, right? He had  no choice. It's not his responsibility. It was involuntary. Look, you can attach whatever cutesy little name that you want to the act. At the end of the day it's still murder. 

I really could care less about legal terms. Anytime you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, drunk, and cause the death of another person(s) it is murder. It is such a gross, selfish, display of contempt for public safety that it blows my mind that anyone could possibly think of it any differently.

I love sports. I always have. My grandfather started me when I was just a little boy with the Red Sox and stories about Ted Williams- The greatest hitter of all time. Williams was the TV pitchman for a local bakery at the time.

I work late, hit the gym and come home. By then, my girlfriend is usually asleep. I'm not much of a TV person. So surfing the net and watching sports are pretty much my only forms of indoor entertainment. I watch the game and unwind. 

Sports has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. But at some point, there are things in life, principles, more important than winnning or losing. I would give up every single championship we have won over last decade in exchange for the safety of my family and loved ones. And I would do it in a nonosecond. And it would be the easiest choice I ever made.

Which hopefully, puts thngs into perspective. At the end of the day  sports is just entertainment. No different than a movie or a video game. There may be more of an emotional attachment. But it is still just entertainment.

So either you support that type of behavior from the Vicks and the Stallworths or you don't.  Maybe some of you are so misguided that you honestly believe what he did was no big deal. But there are some people that would not be coming to his defense had he not played for the Pats. And that's insane.

It's not like he pulled a Manny and stiffed his waitress. He killed a guy. Call it whatever you want, he killed a guy.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

I don't see the big problem here.  It's not like like Bill would be asking he guy to drive the team bus.   Presumably, his central task would be to catch footballs and run great distances after said catch....
    Seems pretty simple to me.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

If Stallworth had time to flash his lights and honk his horn, he had time to slow down or miss the guy.

I'm guessing his instincts were slowed by alcohol and still being awake and driving fast at 7 a.m.

If nothing else, he's older than he was. Let's look elsewhere.

Sections
Shortcuts