Starting RB Going into 2012/2013?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Starting RB Going into 2012/2013?

With BJGE gone, there is now a question as to who the starter will be going into this upcoming season. Certainly Ridley saw more of the field, but one has to question how much of that was because Ridley was more prepared, or whether it was because Vereen was injured. 

Vereen only had a few looks, but in those looks, he appeared impressive. He showed great lateral quickness and explosion, but also showed the ability to run through arm tackles. While Ridley looked very promising himself, one has to question who the team expects to be the number one back going forward.

If I had to guess, I'd say that assuming both are healthy, Vereen will likely see more snaps. While Ridley has decent hands, Vereen certainly is the better pass-catcher. Vereen would also appear to have better big-play potential, and while he isn't as strong, he still appears to be able to run through arm tackles.

I see Ridley being more of a situational guy, perhaps being used near the goalline, and in certain situations.

With all that said, if both are healthy and holding onto the ball, we've got quite a RB tandem going forward. These two are clearly talented young men with a lot to offer on the field. Nothing wrong with having two very good RB's, just means you need to figure out how to use them and how they compliment each other. And of course throw in some Woodhead to keep the defense off balance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Starting RB Going into 2012/2013?

I kinda see the opposite. I see Ridley as the feature back and Vareen on 3rd downs. Similar to Faulks role in the past.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: Starting RB Going into 2012/2013?:
    [QUOTE]I kinda see the opposite. I see Ridley as the feature back and Vareen on 3rd downs. Similar to Faulks role in the past.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

I could see it playing out that way as well.

By no means am I trying to sell Ridley short. He clearly has good burst, power, and quickness, and appears to be a great RB in the making.

Both guys are just so talented, and it seems like a waste to have either one on the bench. Barring McDaniels and Belichick devising a brilliant new scheme involving dual-RB's, they're just going to have to choose which guy they feel is a better every down back, and then allow the other guy to be more of a situational player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Will be interesting to watch how it pans out.  Ridley with the exception of coughing up the rock a couple times last year proved he is starter material and can be a dynamic and explosive back.  However, Vereen had the better college career and was drafted earlier in hopes that he could be the starter.  We will see, but both look very good and have high potential. 

In a perfect world though, Ridley will be the main starting back with Vereen playing the 3rd down role ala Kevin Faulk. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

At the end of the day, the difference between No.1 and No.2 for the Patriots is determined week to week in NE, just the way BB likes it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Honestly I am not sure if you are going to see a lead RB in this offense. There are only so many touches and most of those will be pass orriented plays. SO that means you put the back that can block the best in the game on the pass plays.  With any luck that back can catch the ball and go out on screens and so forth.

As far as the back that will be in there for running plays I think it will be Ridley.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Matt Forte.  :)   Pats will give up pick #62 this year & a future late-round pick for him.  Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Ridley and a#1 for Forte.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Vereen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan73. Show patsfan73's posts

Trade for steven jackson, offense would be unstoppable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Any of these 4:

Jackson, Trent Richardson, Jonathan Stewart or Forte

would make me pretty excited

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]Any of these 4: Jackson, Trent Richardson, Jonathan Stewart or Forte would make me pretty excited
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Yes rameakap, I like the Trent Richardson choice. I would give a 1st and 3rd for him just to move up. He got value as a KR/PR and the Pats as a Pats need. Tough guy, no injury history that i know of and matching him up with Ridley and Vareen playing the Faulk position, will work.

Vareen is a mystery to me with that hammy thing all year but they must like him instead of putting on IR because I think they can only do that once -I stand to be corrected on that.

If the Pats get a dynamic RB and just a coupla difference makers on D, then they are'nt far away from being absolutely dominant. IMO Belichick will play out with the pick and choose added value FA and away we go.

have a good night...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I love the thought of Matt Forte but paying him the $$$ he wants, I would gladly settle with a Trent Richardson for rookie payscale for 4 years.

Was'nt Jackson the domestic abuse headcase with the Rams? He been around awhile. I hope for Youth and TR is supposed to be top 10 pick. If he's the Real Deal, he solves the RB situation for at least 4 years at a fair cost. 

The addition of the Cowboy FB Femmin***(sp) tells me they already know the RB approach they want and just may opt out. Hope not!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Vereen will prove to be the better all around talent without a doubt... I see him more of the feature back and Woodhead taking Faulks role...Ridley will be the sledgehammer and clock killer.....don't know much about the fullbacks the Pats got but if there is a great lead blocker we're set!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Our best bet considering his age would be S.Jackson. The rest are too young and would command too much money. We only need Jackson for the next 2 years anyway...

Championship!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Idk Jay.  Jackson has a lot of mileage on him and is he even on the market?  How much would you give up for him and what kind of money is left on his contract?

I guess I just feel like if we have any confidence in these young guys it doesn't make sense to bring in a feature back.  A complimentary vet is fine, but if we bring in a Steven Jackson or MJD then we are basically saying the young guys aren't going to see the field until their contracts are up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Actually I dont see it that way. Who has been our feature back the last few years..??

Benny? and has he ever been given 25 plus carries?

We can bring in a feature back, but we are still gonna use the rooks, and this is why his mileage is irrelevent because we wont abuse him here. Just 10-15 carries and spread the rest around.

Thats how I would do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Okay fair enough.  However I question whether any of these guys we all talk about bringing in are worth the cost, both in terms of the cap and draft choices if we are going to make them part of a committee.  Also it is unclear whether guys that are used to being "THE GUY" would be willing to accept that role in exchange for playing for a contender (and possibly a pay cut if NE asks them to restructure or sign a below market extension).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I think they drafted Ridley & Vareen in early rounds for a reason....and that isn't to sit them on the bench in year two, and over pay someone else to come in as a lead back.

These two deserve a chance to be the feature backs here. They have had a year to digest the playbook, and they are both primed to let loose this year. Hopefully Vareen stays healthy, and Ridley holds on a little tighter.

I truly believe these two are going to be our go to backs for this season. Open some holes for these young fresh legs, and good things will happen...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Considering our lack of playoff success is directly correlated to lack of talent at the position leading to an abandonment of the run game, Yes, I think you can afford to spend there.

How many resources have we wasted at the WR position.  6 mill to Ocho last year for 15 catches, but you cant pay a back 3-5 million who would actually make a difference?

How many wasted pics on WR's???   Even the Busto Maroney was able to play for 3 years before he was gone so he was a better investment than Chad Jackson...

Spend the dam money and watch another Lombardi get hoisted. Simple

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]Spend the dam money and watch another Lombardi get hoisted. Simple
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Or just let some of the talent that you drafted early have an actual chance to show what they are made of. I think we have the talent we need, now we actually just need to USE IT. Then maybe we can get past only scoring 14-17 points when we should be putting up 30. Paying someone who isn't going to be used is a waste of time, money, and effort, Give these kids a shot. And commit to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I agree with Tanbass. I'd like to see a lot of Vereen next year and maybe sign a veteran like a Brandon Jacobs for short money. I'm not a huge fan of S-Jax anymore, I'd rather let Vereen and Ridley show what they can do than give up more picks which can be used on defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

When McDaniels came back for the playoffs last year is when Hernandez started to see time in the backfield. Now that they have a second real TE in Fells, and will most likely carry at least one real fullback all season (and maybe two), don't be surprised to see a RB group of Hernandez, Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead. With the new WRS, TEs and FBs, there just aren't that many roster spots to carry extra RBs, which makes Hernandez all the more valuable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think something that was missing from the offense last year was a feature back that could catch. We used to have Faulk to give you catches and also he could be used as a runner - it added up to a player that would come on the field and allow the offense not to be predictable (of course he wasn't a feature back though). Last year when Benny would be on the field it was usually a run off left tackle or dive plays up the middle. When Woodhead came in it was more running (which surprised me because I thought he would be catching screens all day).

I could see Vareen hopefully becoming a Kevin Faulk type of back - a guy that can catch and run, but doesn't have the size to be an every down back. As for the feature back position, I think it would be huge to have a guy that can actually run all the plays in the playbook effectively. Benny couldn't get outside, nor could he plant his foot in the ground and make a cut back into the openings that were there for him between the tackle and guard (during stretch runs). This started to kill us. I hope a guy like Ridley will be able to do these things and be able to hold onto the ball at the same time.

Sections
Shortcuts