State of balance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

State of balance

Below is an article that actually represents the "State of balance" and what it can do for a great QB.

Points of interest in this article: The Patriots lead the league in rushing td's with 18. Stevan Ridley has 8, meaning the entire RB core is being utilized.

Now we have changed our offensive philosophy. BB and McD are utilizing the entire Rb core to produce what might become the undisputed best offense in NFL history.

Yes Ridley is better then Benny, but that shouldn't have stopped a team last year from being one dimesnioanl with their offensive play  calling. Ridley was on this team last year and averaged over 5 ypc as Z alludes to above.

Also note below that this offense as a few of us has said DOES NOT NEED A DEEP THREAT, and only needed to COMMIT to a running game....yeah I went all caps on your assssss.

And Yes Brady's 3 INT's are a direct result of dedication and addition of actual drafted(higher chance of success) RB's on the roster. Just as 2010 and the balanced attack helped lead Brady to only 4 INT's and an MVP award.

Half the amount of 3 and outs as 2007's aerial attack.

Best turnover differential in the NFL.

Most rushing tds and 2nd most passing in the NFL.

And we have not needed the field stretchers as we are 1st in plays over 10 yards in the NFL.

3rd in rushing and 3rd in passing plays over 10 yards = BALANCE.

After putting up 108 points in their past two games, the New England Patriots are currently averaging more points per game (37) than they did in their historic 2007 season (36.8).

The Patriots are on pace for the second-highest scoring average in NFL history, trailing only the 1950 Los Angeles Rams (38.8).

Could a team that started 3-3 really exceed the scoring output of the illustrious 16-0 Patriots from five years ago?

In 2007, Tom Brady had arguably the greatest season in NFL history, while Randy Moss attacked the receiving record books.

No significant individual records will be broken in 2012. So how are the Patriots on track to average even more points?

It seems spurious to question the explosiveness of any team averaging 37 points, but the 2012 Patriots lack downfield speedsters like Moss, Donte' Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney.

But could this offense actually be better than the one that rewrote the record book?

How the points are scored

To say the 2012 Patriots are outscoring the 2007 Patriots is a true statement. But the 2007 offense actually averaged more points than this version is.

SportsNation

Which Patriots team is better?

Seven of New England's 49 touchdowns (14 percent) in 2012 have been scored by the special teams or defense. In 2007, eight of the team's 75 touchdowns (10.7 percent) came on returns.

In other words, it might be a mistake to compare the 2007 and 2012 offenses on the basis of points alone.

This season's offense is on track for six fewer touchdowns than the offense had in 2007. The difference has been return touchdowns and field goals.

Only the Chicago Bears (eight) have more return touchdowns this season. The Patriots are on track to set a franchise record (10).

New England's non-offensive touchdowns are a slight indictment of the greatness of the offense, at least when compared to 2007's, yet the scoring distribution has been remarkable.

The Patriots lead the NFL with 18 rushing touchdowns, are tied for second with 24 passing touchdowns and rank second with seven return touchdowns.

Pace through 11 games

Even though the Patriots are on track to score more points than the 2007 team, they are actually behind where that team was through 11 games.

In 2007, the Patriots had scored 442 points through 11 games, the most in NFL history. This year's team has 35 fewer points -- or more than three per game.

In fact, both the 2000 Rams (412) and 2009 Saints (407) equaled or bettered New England's current total through 11 games.

The Patriots averaged 29.4 points per game over the final five games of 2007 -- an otherwise impressive scoring rate.

The 2012 team has seen its scoring total inflated by a pair of 50-plus point outputs. Without another one, maintaining the current scoring pace would be a tall order.

Achieving a balanced attack

The best case for the 2012 offense over the 2007 offense focuses on balance.

In 2007, Laurence Maroney led the Patriots with 835 rushing yards and six rushing touchdowns. The team averaged 115.6 rushing yards per game and scored 18 rushing touchdowns.

This season, Stevan Ridley (939 rushing yards, eight rushing touchdowns) has already exceeded Maroney's season. The Patriots are averaging 143.7 rushing yards per game and have already matched the 2007 rushing touchdown total.

The addition of a rushing attack differentiates the 2012 Patriots from the aerial attack of 2007.

New England is on track to be the second team in NFL history -- joining that prolific 1950 Rams team -- to average 140 rushing yards and 300 passing yards per game.

Ridley is on track for more than 1,300 rushing yards, while Brady is on track for just under 4,800 passing yards.

The only teammates to reach both of those milestones in the same season were Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk with the 2001 Rams.

The Patriots' balanced attack hasn't come at the expense of big plays. They lead the NFL with 188 plays of 10-or-more yards. That puts them on track for 48 more 10-yard plays than they had in 2007.

Whereas the 2007 team ranked 21st in big rushing plays, this year's rushing attack has the third-most 10-yard plays.

The rest of the numbers

Points are not the only numbers that support the greatness of the 2012 Patriots' offense.

The Patriots have only 11 three-and-out drives this season and are on pace for the lowest three-and-out percentage in the NFL in at least the past 15 seasons. In 2007, the Patriots went three-and-out almost twice as often.

New England has converted 53 percent of its third downs, which is on track to be the third-highest rate in the NFL over the past 20 years. With a tip of cap to the running game, that includes an NFL-best 70.2 percent on third-and-short.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: State of balance

Many of us here have been posting about needing to focus on the running game for years. We thought it was a mistake to rely exclusively on Brady's amazing ability alone. The Rb roster we had the past 5 years was a direct reflection on the offensive philosophy of a spread aerial attack.

An injured Maroney, Lamont Jordan, Sammy Morris, 33 year old K Faulk, and 2 undrafted FA's have toted the rock during the reign of the spread. This pass heavy offense scored lots of points but has proven to be limited by good defense's and also hurts field position and T.O.P.

For those of you that excuse Bill obriens play calling because BJGE averaged 3.7 ypc last year I say you are blind to the truth. We had other options but we didn't use them either. We chose to be one dimensional. Another point of interest is that BJGE as limited as he was speed wise, averaged 4.4 ypc in 2010 and averaged 4.3 ypc the 1st half of 2010 before he suffered the turf toe injury. While I wasn't personally happy we had 2 un drafted FA RB's as our 2 starters I still felt they were good enough to be used for a balanced(unpredictable) attack in order to keep the defense honest.

Now we are witnessing what BB has done in drafting two highly coveted Rb's and adding another bruiser in Bolden, and a scat back in Woody. A little over due imo but he brought in the horses and brought in a O.C who will utilize them.

A great time for Patriots nation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought a very telling tidbit from the article was the following:

New England has converted 53 percent of its third downs, which is on track to be the third-highest rate in the NFL over the past 20 years. With a tip of cap to the running game, that includes an NFL-best 70.2 percent on third-and-short.

Balance is also about when you're running, not just that your run/pass splits are even.  It used to be that the short pass was used as a complement or extension to the running game.  I'll take pounding the ball any day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!! Congratulations, TC, this is the one millionth version of this thread! You will be the envy of your coworkers with this sharp tie and mousepad!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The 2007 offense scored more points than this offense has. And the 2011 offense scored about the same amount of points. Also, NE has run more spread this season than they did last season  ... a whole boatload more as a matter of fact. So, I'm unclear where you are going with this. 

The "score" total you are adding includes defensive TDs, safeties, etc. 

2007 - 34ppg

2011 - 31 ppg

2012 - 33 ppg

All told, three really good offenses. But I'm not sure how you can draw a conclusion (especially with five weeks and the two toughest defenses NE will face left to go) from such a narrow difference. It appears like six of one half a dozen of the other. Well ... I am pretty sure you can draw a conclusion if it is the conclusion you want to draw, but then the numbers really don't matter. 

The rest of your post rests on the pure speculation that BJGE would be doing as well as Ridley. It's pretty clear (to me) he would not be ... because he never had and never has.  BB getting rid of him was one of his better personell decisions in recent years for the offense. He was a slug. 

I would take this offense, BTW, over 2007 and 2011, FWIW. But not because it's more "balanced" but because it has more talent, period. 

The RBs are better than 2007 and so are the TEs. 

And the WRs and RBs (now that Ridley is broken in) are better than 2011. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many of us here have been posting about needing to focus on the running game for years. We thought it was a mistake to rely exclusively on Brady's amazing ability alone. The Rb roster we had the past 5 years was a direct reflection on the offensive philosophy of a spread aerial attack.

An injured Maroney, Lamont Jordan, Sammy Morris, 33 year old K Faulk, and 2 undrafted FA's have toted the rock during the reign of the spread. This pass heavy offense scored lots of points but has proven to be limited by good defense's and also hurts field position and T.O.P.

For those of you that excuse Bill obriens play calling because BJGE averaged 3.7 ypc last year I say you are blind to the truth. We had other options but we didn't use them either. We chose to be one dimensional. Another point of interest is that BJGE as limited as he was speed wise, averaged 4.4 ypc in 2010 and averaged 4.3 ypc the 1st half of 2010 before he suffered the turf toe injury. While I wasn't personally happy we had 2 un drafted FA RB's as our 2 starters I still felt they were good enough to be used for a balanced(unpredictable) attack in order to keep the defense honest.

Now we are witnessing what BB has done in drafting two highly coveted Rb's and adding another bruiser in Bolden, and a scat back in Woody. A little over due imo but he brought in the horses and brought in a O.C who will utilize them.

A great time for Patriots nation.

[/QUOTE]

Did the Patriots choose to be one dimensional...or was it their only option cuz the RBs didn't have the talent.  BJGE rarely broke one over 10 yards. Plus, BJGE had one breakout season because of Crumpler.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

O'Brien didn't seem to have any problem running the ball at Penn State this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!! Congratulations, TC, this is the one millionth version of this thread! You will be the envy of your coworkers with this sharp tie and mousepad!

[/QUOTE]

Well, that is a power tie so...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Z, I will respond in bold my friend.

posted at 11/28/2012 04:29:58 EST

• zbellino
    • First: 03/20/2006
    • Last: 11/28/2012

The 2007 offense scored more points than this offense has. And the 2011 offense scored about the same amount of points. Also, NE has run more spread this season than they did last season  ... a whole boatload more as a matter of fact. So, I'm unclear where you are going with this. 

Wrong...

I'm not sure where you get your numbers from. Perhaps we are using a "spread" formation with Brady under center and this is what you are referencing...but I doubt it... because clearly we are using less shotgun and more "power sets"

See below, this is current from our friend Reiss over at espn....

Brady & shotgun tracker, Week 12 November, 28, 2012 Nov 28 10:00 AM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com Continuing to monitor the trend of Brady and the shotgun snap -- which has been utilized less this season than past years -- let's update the numbers after wins over the Colts and Jets:

Usage of the shotgun
    at Jets: 20 of 68 (2 runs, 16 passes, 2 Jets pre-snap penalties)
    vs. Colts: 21 of 61 (0 runs, 21 passes)
    vs. Bills: 38 of 72 (6 runs, 32 passes)
    at Rams: 36 of 69 (4 runs, 32 passes)
    vs. Jets: 42 of 80 (6 runs, 36 passes)
    at Seahawks: 60 of 87 (7 runs, 52 passes, 1 false start)
    vs. Broncos:
    45 of 94 (7 runs, 37 passes, 1 false start)
    at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)

On the season, when including penalties, the Patriots have been in the shotgun 46.8 percent of the time (393 of 839). That is a lower percentage than the norm and reflects, from this view, a commitment to the running game that hasn't been as consistent in the past.

2007 - 34ppg

2011 - 31 ppg

2012 - 33 ppg

All told, three really good offenses. But I'm not sure how you can draw a conclusion (especially with five weeks and the two toughest defenses NE will face left to go) from such a narrow difference. It appears like six of one half a dozen of the other. Well ... I am pretty sure you can draw a conclusion if it is the conclusion you want to draw, but then the numbers really don't matter. 

I'm not sure if I even mentioned the higher scoring rate in my post(don't think so) The reason I posted this was to show how our offense is better/more efficient with a commitment to the run game.

The conclusion is...and remember this offense is showing improvement compared to the 2007 heavy SG offense that many consider to be the best in history.

1. more yards per game

2. higher 3rd down conversion rate.

3. half of % of 3 and outs

4. 4 more plays of 10 yards per game or more. That is without the deep threat that you and others here have been screaming for. The deep threat myself and others have said we didn't need.

5. less turnovers and the best turnover differential in the league.

6. I can't find the stats on this but I am willing to bet that even with the hurry up we have a better T.O.P then 07, and last year.

The rest of your post rests on the pure speculation that BJGE would be doing as well as Ridley. It's pretty clear (to me) he would not be ... because he never had and never has.  BB getting rid of him was one of his better personell decisions in recent years for the offense. He was a slug. 

He was an undrafted FA in a split time role that rushed for 1,700 yards and 24 tds at a 10 carry per game average. Him being here was due to our over reliance on the down field passing attack and not enough commitment to the run game. How else do we get 2 undrafted FA RB's as our starters for 2 years???

I would take this offense, BTW, over 2007 and 2011, FWIW. But not because it's more "balanced" but because it has more talent, period. 

Talent needs opportunity to succeed bud. We have the same running back core as we did last year. Ridley, Vareen, Woodhead and some undrafted over acheiving FA RB from Mississippi. The difference is we use them all this season, and didn't last.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Z, I will respond in bold my friend.

posted at 11/28/2012 04:29:58 EST

• zbellino
    • First: 03/20/2006
    • Last: 11/28/2012

Wrong...

I'm not sure where you get your numbers from. Perhaps we are using a "spread" formation with Brady under center and this is what you are referencing...but I doubt it... because clearly we are using less shotgun and more "power sets"

See below, this is current from our friend Reiss over at espn....

Brady & shotgun tracker, Week 12 November, 28, 2012 Nov 28 10:00 AM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Continuing to monitor the trend of Brady and the shotgun snap -- which has been utilized less this season than past years -- let's update the numbers after wins over the Colts and Jets:

Usage of the shotgun
    at Jets: 20 of 68 (2 runs, 16 passes, 2 Jets pre-snap penalties)
    vs. Colts: 21 of 61 (0 runs, 21 passes)
    vs. Bills: 38 of 72 (6 runs, 32 passes)
    at Rams: 36 of 69 (4 runs, 32 passes)
    vs. Jets: 42 of 80 (6 runs, 36 passes)
    at Seahawks: 60 of 87 (7 runs, 52 passes, 1 false start)
    vs. Broncos:
    45 of 94 (7 runs, 37 passes, 1 false start)
    at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)

On the season, when including penalties, the Patriots have been in the shotgun 46.8 percent of the time (393 of 839). That is a lower percentage than the norm and reflects, from this view, a commitment to the running game that hasn't been as consistent in the past.

2007 - 34ppg

2011 - 31 ppg

2012 - 33 ppg

I'm not sure if I even mentioned the higher scoring rate in my post(don't think so) The reason I posted this was to show how our offense is better/more efficient with a commitment to the run game.

The conclusion is...and remember this offense is showing improvement compared to the 2007 heavy SG offense that many consider to be the best in history.

1. more yards per game

2. higher 3rd down conversion rate.

3. half of % of 3 and outs

4. 4 more plays of 10 yards per game or more. That is without the deep threat that you and others here have been screaming for. The deep threat myself and others have said we didn't need.

5. less turnovers and the best turnover differential in the league.

6. I can't find the stats on this but I am willing to bet that even with the hurry up we have a better T.O.P then 07, and last year.

He was an undrafted FA in a split time role that rushed for 1,700 yards and 24 tds at a 10 carry per game average. Him being here was due to our over reliance on the down field passing attack and not enough commitment to the run game. How else do we get 2 undrafted FA RB's as our starters for 2 years???

Talent needs opportunity to succeed bud. We have the same running back core as we did last year. Ridley, Vareen, Woodhead and some undrafted over acheiving FA RB from Mississippi. The difference is we use them all this season, and didn't last.

[/QUOTE]

Teh whole article is about ppg scoring isn't it?

Anyhow, the premise you are drawing from it is a load of bull. Sorry. I'm calling it that man. 

The difference is mainly that NE rushes Ridley, who is light years better than BJGE. 

The reason NE had UDFA RBs is because Maroney busted and they didn't see anyone they liked or needed the picks for someone else. 

With that same amount of carries BJGE had ... Ridley would have had another 500+ yards ... and thus would have earned more carries.

The offensive efficiency is a number of things. I could just as likely conclude (I won't) that the attention Lloyd gets on the outside makes the differece ... and have just as much factual backup as you (Tom Brady's increased downfield passer rating, the overall increased effectiveness running to Lloyd's side -- which is a fact).

But 1.) the superhurry up which is amazing, 2.) weaker defenses faced 3.) better running backs who do more on first down 4.) addition of better talent at WR (Branch isn't even on the team anymore now that Lloyd is here) 5.) transition to a new zone blocking scheme, 6.) Tom Brady is just playing better than last season, 7.) the young players are now in year three and peaking, 8.) YES the inclusion of more spread formations (who would have thunk it) than they have run in the past two-three seasons, oh and OBVIOUS one considering they were behind the 2011 a few weeks ago before two big blowouts .... the addition of Talib and working of Dennard into the lineup, which, as constituted has produced better results and more possessions. 

But the fact is .... even to the naked eye ... Ridley is just better. I said it last season, and everyone booed me, and said BJGE was the way to go. He wasn't.

And now ... New England doesn't have UDFAs, they have two premium round selections in there, and the results show. I'm thrilled.

But please ... pretty please ... don't pretend like the extra yardage comes from the mere fact that they hand it off what 3 more times a game? Ridley has more 10+ and 15+ yard runs in his rookie season than BJGE has in his whole career. It's night and day man, night and day.  

Football, my friend, does not boil down to one golden ratio. Sorry, it's just not how it works. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Pats are running on 45.7% of their plays compared with 40.5% last year.  So they are somewhat more balanced, though it's not quite as drastic a change as some seem to think. It amounts to 3 or 4 more running plays per game on average. Clearly the results of the running game are better, but it's not quite so clear whether the reason for that improvement is a change in play design and play calling or better talent.  

As far as the consequences of having a better running game, those too are a bit exaggerated. Taking out defensive and special teams TDs, the Pats offense is scoring about 1.3 points per game more than last year (32.0 rather than 30.7).  So while there's some improvement, it's marginal.  

The fact is this year's offense is very good and last year's was too.  I really don't understand why a certain set of posters seem to be so vested in saying that last year's offense was terrible and this year's vastly improved.  The reality is the offense was very good last year and remains very good this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But the fact is .... even to the naked eye ... Ridley is just better. I said it last season, and everyone booed me, and said BJGE was the way to go. He wasn't.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think a lot of people felt Ridley was better last year. Despite not playing much Ridley had the three longest runs and was gaining another yard per carry  than BJGE. I was hoping Ridley would play in the Super Bowl but BB must have felt his fumbles were too much of a risk with the stakes that high.  I also agree that a running game is much more important than having the "deep threat"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Nice thread Champ, this offense is easily better than the 2007 version. No way would the Giants or any other team shut it down. They needed to work the kinks out earlier in the season but it looks like they are on point now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice thread Champ, this offense is easily better than the 2007 version. No way would the Giants or any other team shut it down. They needed to work the kinks out earlier in the season but it looks like they are on point now.

[/QUOTE]

Well. I doubt this. Whistling past the graveyard. 

I guarantee this offense will get held to less than 24 points at some time during the remainder of the season and playoffs. 

No offense or defense just runs the table perfect. 

It just doesn't work that way. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I think a lot of people felt Ridley was better last year. Despite not playing much Ridley had the three longest runs and was gaining another yard per carry  than BJGE. I was hoping Ridley would play in the Super Bowl but BB must have felt his fumbles were too much of a risk with the stakes that high.  I also agree that a running game is much more important than having the "deep threat"

[/QUOTE]

More like a yard and a half more per carry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Easily? EASILY? Brady throws more TDs in a season than any man has ever done, and this offense is EASILY better?

And people wonder why they get personally attacked.

Just one tip for you. Remember last season's SB was missing a healthy Gronk when you wonder about the offense's scoring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know who called for a "deep threat". TC keeps alluding to that. 

I said NE needed to challenge the perimeter, and they did. 

That meant a RB who could turn the corner (Not BJGE) and a WR or two who could legitimately compete outside. And my complaint went back two seasons. 

NE's offense last season was amazing between the hashmarks, but had nothing outside of them. Now they have Vereen and Ridley who can run outside and Lloyd who actually draws attention on the edge. 

Seriously, if Gronk and Hern had missed this much time last season, this offense would have been nothing, but they run routes underneath Lloyd all the time now. That never would have worked with Branch. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Easily? EASILY? Brady throws more TDs in a season than any man has ever done, and this offense is EASILY better?

Just one tip for you. Remember last season's SB was missing a healthy Gronk when you wonder about the offense's scoring.

[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, it's more diverse. Moss was incredible. But I'd take this collection of talent over that one. The RBs are better and the TEs are better. The WRs are worse, but not as much as you would think given the disparity in output.

Easily, no. But I think when everyone is healthy this offense is as well rounded as any I've seen since the early 90s Cowboys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, it's more diverse. Moss was incredible. But I'd take this collection of talent over that one. The RBs are better and the TEs are better. The WRs are worse, but not as much as you would think given the disparity in output.

Easily, no. But I think when everyone is healthy this offense is as well rounded as any I've seen since the early 90s Cowboys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My main beef was with the "easily".

Also, Moss had one of the greatest years on record. But, we are more well rounded this year for sure. If we still had Benny, we wouldn't be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree, you have to at least wait until the rest of this season has played out before making the comparison. The 2007 team's run game is often overlooked because of how the playoffs went. Maroney had his best season, Morris was solid and of course Kevin Faulk is always making big plays. Not to mention it was the first season Brady had Welker and Moss and we all know how that went. Remember the Miami game when Moss caught 2 long TD's while being double covered? 

They won 10 games by at least 20 points! Thats incredible..this years team has done it 5 times already which is still pretty dam good. Furthermore, I have to wonder, even if they did play the Giants this year, how do you know the 2007 Giants defense wasn't better than this unit? The 5 year gap makes it a pretty tough comparison anyways, would be an interesting poll to have on here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it's better. They can score in more ways than 2007. Of course Brady threw more td passes back then, it's the only way they could score. Brady is still just as good as he was back then. As far as attacking posters I could care less if that's what you want to do. I prefer not to do it on the Internet but to each his own. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree, you have to at least wait until the rest of this season has played out before making the comparison. The 2007 team's run game is often overlooked because of how the playoffs went. Maroney had his best season, Morris was solid and of course Kevin Faulk is always making big plays. Not to mention it was the first season Brady had Welker and Moss and we all know how that went. Remember the Miami game when Moss caught 2 long TD's while being double covered? 

They won 10 games by at least 20 points! Thats incredible..this years team has done it 5 times already which is still pretty dam good. Furthermore, I have to wonder, even if they did play the Giants this year, how do you know the 2007 Giants defense wasn't better than this unit? The 5 year gap makes it a pretty tough comparison anyways, would be an interesting poll to have on here.

[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion dude. We won't know until the season is over but my opinion is that they are better now. That's what this forum is for, I dont claim to be right all the time.