State of the Patriots - according to this forum

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: State of the Patriots - according to this forum

In response to jri37's comment:

I think and it is only an opinion... they would tell you that is exactly what they did. They most likely would say signing talib, Vollmer and Amendola is the equivolent of signing big ticket guys. whether you agree or disagree with that it is most likely their stance.

As a fan I am on the fence with how they conduct business. I would have loved them to bring in Jennings and another top line CB (pick one) but I understand the NFL season is a war of attrition and depth is a total must in the NFL.

I agree they would most likely say that but imo just resigning you own and keeping status quo isn't the right approach if in the end it didn't result in something shinny being held. Teams go into the offseason looking to upgrade not to maintain status so I always go plus minus from what we saw at the end of last season as far as what they lost and gained. From what I've seen:

• Washington - Woodhead (neutral): Washington upgrade the ST game but it remains to be seen if Vereen or Washington himself can pick up from an extremely stable 3rd down Woodhead
    • Jones - Branch (+): Jones has some injury problems but Branch was no spring chicken. End result Jones should provide more then Branch over the course of the season
    • Amendola - Welker (-): At best Amendola could replace Welkers production and even though Amendola gives better versitility you can't discount Welker route running ability and uncanny chemistry with Brady. Additionally Welker is a stable durable player while Amendola hasn't proven he can remain healthy as a starter over a full season
    • fill in blank - Lloyd (-): I think Jones to Branch is the better comparison and Jenkins is the 4th option. Until they find a #2 this remains a negative
    • Wilson - Chung (+): Wilson will provide a hard hitting in the box S and take over Chungs rotational reps. This should be an upgrade
    • Thomas - Svitek (neutral): Thomas was a super G but Svitek should provide the same at the T position

All other signings remain neutral from last year.

Best case they replace Lloyd with an upgrade and Amendola remains healthy resulting in a neutral making this offseason an upgrade overall to last years team. Worst case Jones is the #2, Amendola gets injured, and no one effectively replaces Woodhead on 3rd down which means this season they downgraded in FA

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

You could be correct. Trying to piece together what they are doing and this is just a guess on my part...

Amendola may play more on the outside with AH getting a bigger majority of the snaps in the slot. I think the reason they have been stocking up on TE's is because this is what they wanted the end game to be. I may be wrong but reading in between the lines You might be looking at Lloyd coming back right before camp leaving jones as the #4.

As far as woodhead is concerned... IMO, based on what they saw from Vareen last year they decided that it would be better to give those Woodhead touches to Vareen. I really liked Woodhead, tough/gritty kid but the upside with vareen may outweigh those woodhead intangibles.

I was thinking the same thing with Hern. Move Hern to the #2 WR spot pushing Jones to #3. I'm not sure they bring Lloyd back at this point but that's another option too. I'm actually hoping they move Hern to the #2 spot and draft a Rogers, Bailey, Wheaton as the #3 WR pushing Jones to the #4 spot and Jenkins to the #5. Actually I'm kind of hopeful they go after Alexander to replace Jenkins as imo he has much higher upside. I'd be fairly happy with that core. I'd be concerned over injury issues but that would be a solid overall WR core. Unfortunately we don't know their plan and as fans we can only go by whats currently on the roster which is what makes it frustrating. Instaed of being aggressive the Pats tend to take a roll of the dice chance hoping certain players fall their way, which can be good at times but can also lead to snake eyes too.

With Vereen, I have no doubt Vereen is a better option but Woodhead on 3rd down was golden. Just as long as he got the ball in his hands I always felt 75% of the time we'd get that first down. Can Vereen be that stable and clutch in 3rd downs is my biggest question mark. If he can then I really like the Washington move. If he can't or gets injured then letting Woodhead walk would be a mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Cool a great discussion and good points... love it....

in response to: 

• Thomas - Svitek (neutral): Thomas was a super G but Svitek should provide the same at the T position

What I see is Cannon moving back to guard and not playing tackle as a backup with this move. So I see this as a plus not a neutral.

I too think they need one more play making receiver. Could be Emanuel Sanders or could be a rookie in round one or two (I know the pats have sucked at picking a good one, but even a blind man can find $5 on the street corner once in a while)....

If they could get one more starting caliber or learning starting caliber corner and a DT to push the pocket with Vince.... I think we will be in good shape. No team has 100% of what it needs.

DT could come from draft or guys we picked up from Canada too. So let's not forget that angle.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

And that's the end of this thread as you knew it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Some of our fans in no way deserve to be part of a title run in the future. They just don't. The behavior is atrocious. They hate the people on our defense, will not accept them, hate BB and blame BB for every stupid little thing that doesn't even pertain to what he does.

90% of NFL fans would kill to be in this position every year and we have "fans" who literally think they are better and smarter than BB.

When a player on offense sucks in the postseason, these same "fans" don't say a word about it.

It's become apparent that these "fans" need to hang onto this faux legacy that Brady built years and years ago, as their only real interest in liking the Patriots.

In other words, Brady could throw 5 TDs, 3 INTs in a loss, but the entertainment they get from the 5 TDs is all they care about as a "fan".

Ironically, this is the exact opposite reason as to what brought me enjoyment from 2001-2004.

The TEAM is what matters, not Brady himself.

Blah,blah,blah more BS , putting thoughts in fans head. I never seen anyone display hate to our defense. have they been honest about certain players maybe not being that good, sure, but to come out and say people HATE our defense and for you to decide who gets to be a fan of a title run based on their objectivy is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard(maybe not cuz u say a lot of crazy sh*t) but what about YOU???  YOu have displayed the most hate for a player than anyone Ive ever seen and NONE of it is warranted. Lets see you cant make ONE post without bashing Tom Brady who has led the # 1 offense the last 4 or 5 years but you PRAISE every last member of a defense(specifically the secondary) that boasts no better than the 28 ranked pass D in the last 4 years.  Do I have this right, Rusty..

Do us a favor and go on a vacation and leave your laptop for once....Jeez!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Just when i thought it was safe to go back out into thw water......

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The discussion involving rkarp, PatsEng, jri37 and Pats-bilbo is exactly the kind of give and take, point-couterpoint that makes this forum worth visiting.  

A question not specifically directed to anyone in particular:  I've seen Cannon mentioned here and elsehwere as probably being eventually used at guard.  To the best of my recollection I've only seen him used at right tackle.  Has he ever actually been used at guard in a game?  If not, is the mention of him being used at guard based on anything other than an assessment of skill set and capabilities?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

The discussion involving rkarp, PatsEng, jri37 and Pats-bilbo is exactly the kind of give and take, point-couterpoint that makes this forum worth visiting.  

A question not specifically directed to anyone in particular:  I've seen Cannon mentioned here and elsehwere as probably being eventually used at guard.  To the best of my recollection I've only seen him used at right tackle.  Has he ever actually been used at guard in a game?  If not, is the mention of him being used at guard based on anything other than an assessment of skill set and capabilities?

in 11' his first year Cannon split time at RG and RT and it was assumed his natural position was to move inside because of his lack of agility at T. I think he played a bit at RG last year too when they ran a heavy line, esp in short yard situatinos

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

And that's the end of this thread as you knew it.

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Some of our fans in no way deserve to be part of a title run in the future. They just don't. The behavior is atrocious. They hate the people on our defense, will not accept them, hate BB and blame BB for every stupid little thing that doesn't even pertain to what he does.

90% of NFL fans would kill to be in this position every year and we have "fans" who literally think they are better and smarter than BB.

When a player on offense sucks in the postseason, these same "fans" don't say a word about it.

It's become apparent that these "fans" need to hang onto this faux legacy that Brady built years and years ago, as their only real interest in liking the Patriots.

In other words, Brady could throw 5 TDs, 3 INTs in a loss, but the entertainment they get from the 5 TDs is all they care about as a "fan".

Ironically, this is the exact opposite reason as to what brought me enjoyment from 2001-2004.

The TEAM is what matters, not Brady himself.

Blah,blah,blah more BS , putting thoughts in fans head. I never seen anyone display hate to our defense. have they been honest about certain players maybe not being that good, sure, but to come out and say people HATE our defense and for you to decide who gets to be a fan of a title run based on their objectivy is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard(maybe not cuz u say a lot of crazy sh*t) but what about YOU???  YOu have displayed the most hate for a player than anyone Ive ever seen and NONE of it is warranted. Lets see you cant make ONE post without bashing Tom Brady who has led the # 1 offense the last 4 or 5 years but you PRAISE every last member of a defense(specifically the secondary) that boasts no better than the 28 ranked pass D in the last 4 years.  Do I have this right, Rusty..

Do us a favor and go on a vacation and leave your laptop for once....Jeez!

Do us a favor stop following me around a Pats board here on the interwebs. You aren't changing my opinion.

I've never seen a great player such as Brady basically waste opportunities in SBs or the playoffs like this in my life.

Name one player who is in SBs or in Conf title games at this rate that simply SUCKS like this.

It doesn't exist!  He's been crappy when he couldn't afford to be and our fanbase has its collective head in the sand as to why.

If you can't handle the reality of this really being all about Brady from here on out, you have issues.

I sat back in the first half of that title game in January and knew it was likely were to lose once Woodhead was on that field for Brady to start running the shotgun.

Gomer Manning is responsible for his offense, Brady is responsible here.

Name one player who is in SBs or in Conf title games at this rate that simply SUCKS like this.

What rate are you talking about?? Truthfully the reason why we are in so many SBs and conference title games is Brady. He has far from sucked in any of those games, just because you expect him to bail out the defense time after time doesn't mean that is going to happen. Name one quarterback that has reached as many Super Bowls and conference title games with a defense as poor as his. The only other guy I can think of is Elway...not bad company, and Brady has won one more Super Bowl.