Steelers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Steelers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

There was certainly a lot to like from the Pats' 55-31 win over the once mighty Goths from Pittsburgh. Gronk gronkulated, Tom Brady was as cool and accurate as ever,  Aaron Dobson brought back some memories of Randy Moss, and Danny Amendola re-emerged, and even left the field on his own power. But don't let the final score fool you. The Pats' led by a mere 27-24 Patriots after three quarters thanks primarily to a costly Stevan Ridley fumble, and the Pats' "D" giving up a bevy of big plays to the Pittsburgh offense. In short, this was a throw back game to the way the Pats have played, albeit successfully, over the past three years. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a tepid start, the Pats' offense got rolling in the second quarter...including a text book TD drive in the closing two minutes of the half. But, in the third quarter, this unit reverted to it's inefficient ways, which allowed the Steelers to hang around, and threaten an upset. Fortunately, a huge special teams play triggered an avalanche of fourth quarter points, which turned the game into a rout.

1.) QB: The reports of Tom's demise were greatly exaggerated...as his much duscussed accuracy issues dissipitated in proportion with the swelling in his passing hand. With his hand at normal size, Brady morphed back into Tom Terrific mode, completing 23 of 33 passes for 432 yards, with four (4) TDs, and no picks. The highlights of his best performance of the season were his 34 yard TD pass to Danny Amendola, his 19 yard TD pass to Gronk, and his 17 and 81 yard TD throws to Aaron Dobson...with the 81 yard bomb being a thing of beauty. But, Tom's most impressive stretch of play came during a classic two minute drill at the close of the first half, in which he led his team on a 77 yard TD drive, in the closing 1:55 of play: GRADE: A+;

2.) RBs: Though Stevan Ridley led this group with 115 yards on 26 carries, including two (2) TD runs, he refused to speak to the media after the game. Perhaps he knew that the focus of his otherwise grand performance would fall on his costly fumble during the Pats' initial drive of the second half, which nearly cost his team this game. At the time of his flub, the Pats were leading, 24-10...and one more score would have salted the game away. But, that fumble gave the Steelers the ball at the Pats' 36. The Steelers would immediately convert the miscue into a TD, cutting the lead to just 24-17...and giving the Steelers momentum, and hope. On their next possession, the Steelers would tie the game at 24. Folks, no matter how many yards a RB gains, if he's a fumbler, he's worthless. Ridley must do a better job at protecting the ball. That said, LeGarrette Blount chipped in with 47 yards on just five (5) carries, including a determined 4th quarter TD run, and Brandon Bolden added 36 yards, on just three (3) carries: GRADE: B;  

3.) OL: A mixed bag for this crew. Though they by and large dominated the line of scrimmage, they couldn't get enough of a push to gain a yard on the Pats' first solid drive of the game, on a 4th and one. They also continued allowing Tom Brady to take too many QB hits (6), including three (3) sacks. Still, when an offense puts up 610 total yards, including 197 yards rushing, how can anyone really complain? Well folks...it only takes one good hit on Brady to ruin the season. Y'all saw how Tom's play deteriorated due to him suffering a hand injury. So, despite the gawdy numbers, there's room for improvement: GRADE: B;

4.) TEs and WRs: The Hoo-man had one catch for a first down, but also had a potential drive killing drop on the first play of the fourth quarter. Great to see Gronk gronkulating again! Targeted 10 times, the big man responded with nine (9) catches for 143 yards, and a TD...and, had he not been grabbed in the end zone by a flailing Steeler defender, he would have had a second TD grab. He is making a difference, as the attention he forces defenses to take to guard him is freeing up the WRs. Speaking of, Danny Amendola had four (4) catches for 122 yards, including a first quarter 34 yard TD reception, and a 57 yard run and catch in the second quarter. Aaron Dobson added five (5) catches for 130 yards, including a fabulous 17 yard fourth quarter TD reception at the left py-line, and a beautiful 81 yard hook-up with Brady late in the fourth quarter which removed any lingering hope of a Steeler come-back: GRADE: A;  

II. DEFENSE: A slew of injuries to key players (Wilfolk, Mayo, Kelly, Talib) have clearly taken it's toll on this unit. Though it usually has trouble stopping the run, today it gave up too many big plays in the passing game. Most notable of these were allowing the Steelers to come within inches of converting on a 3rd down and 30 on the last play of the first quarter, via a swing pass to a RB coming out of the backfield. Though the Steelers only had one other big play via a similar swing pass for 22 yards, they flubbed several other opportunities to convert on similar plays. Poor coverage on troublesome Steeler WRs Cotchery, Sanders, and Brown accounted for an additional 265 yards, many of those earned after the catch. For the game, the Steelers had a whopping 479 yards in total offense.

1.) DL: Losing DE Rob Ninkovich in the third quarter hurt. His strip sack had thwarted a potential Steeler first quarter TD drive. The weak Steeler running game accounted for 108 yards on 20 carries. But, when you consider that the Steelers gained 55 of those yards on two (2) carries, and only 53 yards on the remaining 18 carries, it wasn't all that bad. Credit the DL for some good short yardage plays  on 4th and less than one. DE Chandler Jones had six (6) tackles, including three (3) solos, a pair of sacks, and three (3) QB hits. But, the DTs were not able to garner any inside pressure on QB Ben Roethlisberger throughout the game: GRADE: B-;

2.) LBs: Since the Steelers didn't run very much, the Pats' ILB Hightower, Spikes, and Dane Fletcher were forced into coverage situations....not their strongest suit. Look for future opponents to continue to attack these guys as the Steelers did, with their TEs, and especially with backs coming out of the backfield on swing passes, screens, and deep routes. or the game, TE Heath Miller and the Steelers' RBs accounted for nine (9) catches for 131 yards. This is the area in which the Pats miss Jerod Mayo most. Rookie OLB Jamie Collins was again a no-show: GRADE: C-;

3.) SECONARY: A Devin McCourty first quarter pick of Big Ben was a big play, and turned the tide, early. On the very next play, Brady would hit Danny Amendola deep for 34 yards, and a 7-0 Patriots' lead. But, that's where the highlights pretty much end, as Kyle Arrington and Alfonzo Dennard had huge difficulties keeping tabs on Jericho Cotchery (seven (7) catches for 96 yards), Emmanuel Sanders (six (6) catches for 98 yards), and Antonio Brown (five (5) catches for 71 yards). Too many big plays were given up, as the Pats' DBs clearly feared the speed of the Steelers' WRs. This cause them to play off them far too much, giving them opportunities to do what they do best...accumulate yards after catch. Hurry back, Aqib: GRADE: D+;     

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Another solid kicking game from Allen (averaged over 50 yards per punt) and The Ghost (2 for 2 in FGs). The coverage team broke down a bit in the third quarter, allowing Antonio Brown to return a punt 24 yards...which helped to set up a Steelers' 3rd quarter TD, tying the game at the time, at 24. Huge play by Julian Edleman returning a Steeler punt 43 yards in the dying seconds of the third quarter seemed to change the momentum, and set up a Pats' TD...widening their lead to 34-24: GRADE: B;

IV. COACHING: For the most part, I liked the way the Pats mixed the run with the pass. Gutsy call in the fourth quarter, with the Pats leading, 41-31, to call a bomb from the N.E. 19 yard line on a second and ten, rather than call a run to continue to run the clock. The gamble paid off handsomely, as Brady hit Dobson down the right side-line in stride, for an 81 yard TD play. The "D" had great trouble keeping up with the fleet Steeler WRs, and their backs coming out of the backfield. Due to an overall lack of talent at coverage LB and in the secondary, the Pats' were seemingly forced to play in the hated bend but don't break mode, which we've seen so much of, over the past three years. Got to find a way to better address these coverage issues: GRADE: B;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The aforementioned Edleman 43 yard punt return.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Tom Brady.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331103017.

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Have a great day!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Steelers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Thanks for the write up TP. 

Overall I thought all 3 phases played well. 

Something seemed to change a bit when Gregory went out and Hightower was calling the plays. I am not sure he is ready yet for this. But the d played pretty well. Pitt has 3 very good wr's and a good TE. I was expecting them to put up mega passing yards and they did. Especially with Talib out and Arrington forced into doing something he is not comfortable with. what we saw yesterday in terms of Pitt offensive production is probably indicative of what we will see vs Denver. Overall, the d handled  it okay, gave up some big plays but also created some Turnovers. With the rash of injuries, trying to integrate Soap, and bb trying to find a defensive scheme that works, this unit did pretty well. 

The one piece that concerns me is our oline play. Especially mankins. He can't continue to give up big sacks making that kind of money. His production is not living up to his contract. We should evaluate keeping him in the offseason. Tough part here is cutting him would save us 2.5m but also have 7 or so in dead money. 

The offense looks primed to take off. It is completely different with a healthy Gronk and amendola and Dobson playing well. Vereen s return will take it up another notch. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

197 yds running with 3 tds and one fumble on a pass play is better than a B - to me

DB's - this was a great set of recievers by a great QB who was on the mark and also avoiding Sacks - There were a numbrer of plays that Dennard did tip the pass away - there was a coverage sack and with the INTS they get more than a D - to me

Dline - they did stop a 3rd and 4th and short - right after Simms said how sure he was that Pitt could pick it up and they were playing a 3- at times with new players

But i alos had the same feeling as you taht this was a game from the last few years

great o and less D - but the D does rise to the occasion

Great tot see the O back

As always appreciate your summaries

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tex, great job as usual and grades week to week have fluctuated wildly this season so far.  To think this win came against a Steelers team that won IN NY against the Jets a few weeks ago!!!

The team is 7 - 2 at their bye week.  Given the inconsistent play of the offense and all the injuries on D, to be at that record is probably surprising most Pats fans year to date.  This game may be the coming out party for the Pats and the much predicted improvement of the young receivers on the offense plus the return of Gronk.  The anticipation of the balance of the season must be giving the chills to Pats fans everywhere!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Great win, but one aspect that has become very annoying is the defense creating turnovers or favorable field position and the offense can't do anything with it.

Two turnovers in the first half and no points. It's happened all year long, too.  We fumble it in our own zone and immediately give momentum to Pitt in the 3rd. Our offense needs to smell blood a bit better because they're going to need to do that vs the better defenses.

Be careful getting too giddy with scoring a lot of points like it's 2009 vs Tenn, too. Pitt''s D sucks and is old. Polamalu is done as is their other older players who are 2 and 3 steps behind.  Pitt can't cover vs good QBs.

I have to laugh at the "4th ranked"Pitt D, too.   The way Ds are ranked is proof positive it's completely ridiculous. I almost spit out my beer when I heard where they were ranked. I knew they were poor, but to have them ranked "4th" is comical. 

Rusty...  to "poo-poo" this win is a might harsh when you look at the up and down performances through the league so far this season.  Jets also lost against this same Steelers team at home, as I mentiond in an earlier post, go from a 49 - 9 drubbing at Cincy to a win versus the Saints against an offense that is much better than the Bengals.  If anything, in spite of the D injuries it seems it is the Pats who are on the rise, too.  Look at who they get back after the bye week.  It is going to be an interesting 7 game stretch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

197 yds running with 3 tds and one fumble on a pass play is better than a B - to me

DB's - this was a great set of recievers by a great QB who was on the mark and also avoiding Sacks - There were a numbrer of plays that Dennard did tip the pass away - there was a coverage sack and with the INTS they get more than a D - to me

Dline - they did stop a 3rd and 4th and short - right after Simms said how sure he was that Pitt could pick it up and they were playing a 3- at times with new players

But i alos had the same feeling as you taht this was a game from the last few years

great o and less D - but the D does rise to the occasion

Great tot see the O back

As always appreciate your summaries

He gives the non-star players or positions harsher grades. It's his way of trolling. I remember when the D was giving up 3 or 10 points earlier in the year, and he was giving them a B+. lol

He likes to troll in a subtle way. It's what he does.

Rusty, TP does grade like you comment.. with a grain of salt.  Almost like what he saw he could not believe or accept.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Great win, but one aspect that has become very annoying is the defense creating turnovers or favorable field position and the offense can't do anything with it.

Two turnovers in the first half and no points. It's happened all year long, too.  We fumble it in our own zone and immediately give momentum to Pitt in the 3rd. Our offense needs to smell blood a bit better because they're going to need to do that vs the better defenses.

Be careful getting too giddy with scoring a lot of points like it's 2009 vs Tenn, too. Pitt''s D sucks and is old. Polamalu is done as is their other older players who are 2 and 3 steps behind.  Pitt can't cover vs good QBs.

I have to laugh at the "4th ranked"Pitt D, too.   The way Ds are ranked is proof positive it's completely ridiculous. I almost spit out my beer when I heard where they were ranked. I knew they were poor, but to have them ranked "4th" is comical.

More lies from the resident liar:  Ugh.  When will it end?

4. McCourty comes up with big pick, Pats capitalize play later. Devin McCourty came up with his first interception of the season, picking off Ben Roethlisberger in Steelers territory. He continues to play as well as any safety in the AFC this season. Just one play later, Tom Brady found a wide-open Danny Amendola for a 34-yard strike, putting the Patriots up 7-0.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

4. McCourty comes up with big pick, Pats capitalize play later. Devin McCourty came up with his first interception of the season, picking off Ben Roethlisberger in Steelers territory. He continues to play as well as any safety in the AFC this season. Just one play later, Tom Brady found a wide-open Danny Amendola for a 34-yard strike, putting the Patriots up 7-0.

I am talking about the fumble on Pitt's first drive.  They did nothing.  

That's great they finally did something off a turnover. I am talking about the pattern of it not happening or the % of points from the turnovers not being there. It would be nice to see a better yield.

Please learn to read. Also, Pitt's D SUCKS.   I specficially stated above they'll need to convert on getting SOME points off of turnovers vs the better Ds vs usually getting nothing.

The yield in this area this year has been poor.  

"Quote"  Two turnovers in the first half and no points.

Please learn to write without lying.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Pats put 55 points on the board and Rusty complains about a lack of scoring.

I'm not surprised.  This is the type of garbage this fool posts. 

I'll prefer three Rkarp posts and two from Bustchise (net result is one post) over 4,000 from Rusty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

but one aspect that has become very annoying is the defense creating turnovers or favorable field position and the offense can't do anything with it.

Yeah, kind of like all those games the Pats would get leads and then have the D allow the other teams to come back.  See SB 2007, 2011 and numerous regular season games over the seasons.  Frustrating!

You took a beating around here the past few days yet you still show up typing garbage. How can you look yourself in the mirror?  You are a joke, don't you get it yet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I am also talking about Ridley's fumble in our own zone too. Our D getting turnovers being cancelled out by our own or our offense going 3 and out or not getting even a FG off of the opportunity, makes the D's turnovers almost pointless.

Yes, Ridley responsible for no points, both times  Also there would have been points on the first one, too, if they took the FG.  FAIL!

Bolden plunge overturned, Pats come up short. Brandon Bolden took a carry 1 yard for what looked like the game's opening points. The ruling was overturned, however, and Stevan Ridley was stopped short on fourth down on the very next play. Not to be overlooked were three catches from tight end Rob Gronkowski, who looks very much to be back near the level he was playing at last season before injuring his forearm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

That's great they finally did something off a turnover. I am talking about the pattern of it not happening or the % of points from the turnovers not being there. It would be nice to see a better yield.

Please learn to read. Also, Pitt's D SUCKS.   I specficially stated above they'll need to convert on getting SOME points off of turnovers vs the better Ds vs usually getting nothing.

"Quote"  Two turnovers in the first half and no points.

Please learn to write without lying.

A mistake is not lying.  I did not realize it came on the next series.  Please learn to take the Brady doll out of your rectum. 

The fact is, all year long our offense squanders momentum shifts and golden opps while they also give momentum back. If it wasn't a Brady INT, it was a fumble like Ridley's yesterday.

Our offense used to NEVER turn it over when winning SBs and our offense would get something off of a Pats created turnover. 

The offense just can't seem to play a clean game without turnovers which give teams with nothing to lose. another sniff at coming back. It's annoying.

The mistake is the deliberate LIE, and caught in another, once again!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

but one aspect that has become very annoying is the defense creating turnovers or favorable field position and the offense can't do anything with it.

Yeah, kind of like all those games the Pats would get leads and then have the D allow the other teams to come back.  See SB 2007, 2011 and numerous regular season games over the seasons.  Frustrating!

You took a beating around here the past few days yet you still show up typing garbage. How can you look yourself in the mirror?  You are a joke, don't you get it yet?

It's amazing, right?  The guy has been fully embarrassed by his own actions and still keeps showing up.  All credibility lost, he's trying to sell a lack of points off two turn overs as an issue, despite the 55 points they put on the board.

And then there's the whole Tommy Kelly thing...

If that were me, I'd log out and never return.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SnarkPatrol. Show SnarkPatrol's posts

Agree. The Jets need a marwuis matchup at home to win a game.  They love the spotlight.  Immature team. Meanwhile, ours is steady and consistent even through a myriad of injuries.

There's that high IQ you keep telling people about.   I'm sure you slipped and meant to type the "q" instead of the "w", but that would still be incorrect.  Marquee is what you needed.  You probably thought "marquis" was correct.  You know, like your poster of the Marquis de Sade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

The one thing that has me giddy---we still haven't even played our best offensive football.  Wait until Vereen gets back and we have a back that can catch and run.  Blount at the end pounding, Ridley ripping yards, Gronk being Gronk, Dobson maturing, and Amendola healing will make this a formidable team.  BUT, we need Talib back--to at least shut down the main receiver of the other team so McCourty can freelance on the other side.  I don't know why people were so surprised w/the Steelers-----that is what they do:  try and run the ball--when that doesnt work throw it to the speedy receivers because Ben has the ability to prolong plays. I would say an overall B for the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SnarkPatrol's comment:

Agree. The Jets need a marwuis matchup at home to win a game.  They love the spotlight.  Immature team. Meanwhile, ours is steady and consistent even through a myriad of injuries.

There's that high IQ you keep telling people about.   I'm sure you slipped and meant to type the "q" instead of the "w", but that would still be incorrect.  Marquee is what you needed.  You probably thought "marquis" was correct.  You know, like your poster of the Marquis de Sade.

He got the spelling off the truck of the new car his mommy's brother bought for him:

Mercury Grand Marquis #10

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LMAO!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's amazing, right?  The guy has been fully embarrassed by his own actions and still keeps showing up.  All credibility lost, he's trying to sell a lack of points off two turn overs as an issue, despite the 55 points they put on the board.

He has been having a meltdown over Brady all season and what a game yesterday, doesn't look like he has slipped at all.  He can't do it all himself, people need to be able to stay healthy, get open and catch the ball.  

And the whole rkarp incident, lol!  What a goof! 

He has been embarrassing himself for years here, I imagine away from here too, he is probably used to it by now, poor guy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I''d prefer to have the editing button, Bustchise.  I would have double checked it and then edited. I was not sure which use was correct. Once I typoed the word itself, there obviously is no way to change it.  And, I know my IQ is much higher than yours.  Not close. You work at a movie theater an rip tickets. I negotiate large business deals. 

Still upset that the Jets being a .500 team this year won't allow you a better draft position to pick up the slack on the Milliner bust pick, huh?

bawahah

Everyone who makes you look foolish is automatically a jet troll, lmao!  Hey Rusty, we are all laughing at you, not with you!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Since I was unable to watch it - Thanks to TexasPat for such a thourough summary of the game.

Seems to me that Gronk's impact on the recieving group is most significant - both his play and his influence on defensive coverage of others.

I think Vereen's return will similarly strenghten our offensive flexibility and productivity.

Once again, its the defense that I'm worried about, given our key injuries.  Maybe the offense will compensate for now, but We can't afford to lose any more starters on D and expect to thrive in the playoffs.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I''d prefer to have the editing button, Bustchise.  I would have double checked it and then edited. I was not sure which use was correct. Once I typoed the word itself, there obviously is no way to change it.  And, I know my IQ is much higher than yours.  Not close. You work at a movie theater an rip tickets. I negotiate large business deals. 

Still upset that the Jets being a .500 team this year won't allow you a better draft position to pick up the slack on the Milliner bust pick, huh?

bawahah

Everyone who makes you look foolish is automatically a jet troll, lmao!  Hey Rusty, we are all laughing at you, not with you!

But look at the upside. If we didn't have him, who could we abuse so easily? Nobody else is nearly as dense as him. LMAO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What is the "whole Tommy Kelly thing"? Because I did not predict he might be injured and guess right (who would ever want to even do that as a Pats fan??), that means there is a "thing"?

Wake me when anyone predicted Wilfork or Mayo's IR situations, too. No one did.

RKrap was also not correct. He said he'd be IRd. Kelly was PRACTICING last week. When he said that, Kelly had not been IRd yet.    Practicing is not IRd.  It's too bad whatever Kelly's injury is can't be fended off to salavage his season.

RKrap throws crap at a wall and just hopes he's right to get attention here.

He also doesn't uphold his bets. He still never conceded defeat with our bet in MArch, which the entire board witnessed me winning.

Talk about embarrassing. He actually believes the Jets are well managed.  lmao

He said he MAY BE Ir'd after further evaluation.  He was correct.

Admit it, little man!  Are you a man?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Post # 8000!!!  THANKS mods for not booting me to change my ID!!  Anyway...

Rusty, just can't be happy with this win, huh?  The manner of your post regarding the Pats not getting "sufficient" points off the turnovers is analagous to saying the Pats should get points on EVERY possession regardless of how they got the ball.  The Pats can't be expected to score on every possession.  Yes, get a TO and then scoring as a result is putting salt into the wound of the team who coughed it up, but, in the end, it was an offensive possession on their part the Pats turned away!  Be a bit more positive about turnovers!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

3.) OL: A mixed bag for this crew. Though they by and large dominated the line of scrimmage, they couldn't get enough of a push to gain a yard on the Pats' first solid drive of the game, on a 4th and one. They also continued allowing Tom Brady to take too many QB hits (6), including three (3) sacks. Still, when an offense puts up 610 total yards, including 197 yards rushing, how can anyone really complain? Well folks...it only takes one good hit on Brady to ruin the season. Y'all saw how Tom's play deteriorated due to him suffering a hand injury. So, despite the gawdy numbers, there's room for improvement: GRADE: B;

FB James Develin allowed Polomalu to come through and get to the ball carrier. That play was on him.

4.) TEs and WRs: The Hoo-man had one catch for a first down, but also had a potential drive killing drop on the first play of the fourth quarter. Great to see Gronk gronkulating again! Targeted 10 times, the big man responded with nine (9) catches for 143 yards, and a TD...and, had he not been grabbed in the end zone by a flailing Steeler defender, he would have had a second TD grab. He is making a difference, as the attention he forces defenses to take to guard him is freeing up the WRs. Speaking of, Danny Amendola had four (4) catches for 122 yards, including a first quarter 34 yard TD reception, and a 57 yard run and catch in the second quarter. Aaron Dobson added five (5) catches for 130 yards, including a fabulous 17 yard fourth quarter TD reception at the left py-line, and a beautiful 81 yard hook-up with Brady late in the fourth quarter which removed any lingering hope of a Steeler come-back: GRADE: A;  

Gronk's run blocking isn't there yet. When healthy, he's elite in this area. I don't understand why "HOO - Man" is still on this team. He's a terrible receiver and a marginal, at best, blocker. Daniel Fells is the better player, yet he gets cut and Develin and Hooman are here. Go figure.

II. DEFENSE: A slew of injuries to key players (Wilfolk, Mayo, Kelly, Talib) have clearly taken it's toll on this unit. Though it usually has trouble stopping the run, today it gave up too many big plays in the passing game. Most notable of these were allowing the Steelers to come within inches of converting on a 3rd down and 30 on the last play of the first quarter, via a swing pass to a RB coming out of the backfield. Though the Steelers only had one other big play via a similar swing pass for 22 yards, they flubbed several other opportunities to convert on similar plays. Poor coverage on troublesome Steeler WRs Cotchery, Sanders, and Brown accounted for an additional 265 yards, many of those earned after the catch. For the game, the Steelers had a whopping 479 yards in total offense.

1.) DL: Losing DE Rob Ninkovich in the third quarter hurt. His strip sack had thwarted a potential Steeler first quarter TD drive. The weak Steeler running game accounted for 108 yards on 20 carries. But, when you consider that the Steelers gained 55 of those yards on two (2) carries, and only 53 yards on the remaining 18 carries, it wasn't all that bad. Credit the DL for some good short yardage plays  on 4th and less than one. DE Chandler Jones had six (6) tackles, including three (3) solos, a pair of sacks, and three (3) QB hits. But, the DTs were not able to garner any inside pressure on QB Ben Roethlisberger throughout the game: GRADE: B-;

2.) LBs: Since the Steelers didn't run very much, the Pats' ILB Hightower, Spikes, and Dane Fletcher were forced into coverage situations....not their strongest suit. Look for future opponents to continue to attack these guys as the Steelers did, with their TEs, and especially with backs coming out of the backfield on swing passes, screens, and deep routes. or the game, TE Heath Miller and the Steelers' RBs accounted for nine (9) catches for 131 yards. This is the area in which the Pats miss Jerod Mayo most. Rookie OLB Jamie Collins was again a no-show: GRADE: C-;

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Mayo and Wilfork are very overrated (and overpaid), especially among Pats fans. Neither player will be missed beyond depth. Joe Vellano and Chirs Jones have had (are having) growing pains but have made plays and are holding their own. TBH, they'll do fine without Kelly, too. Sopoaga looked really good in his debut. That said, the only player that's really missed is Talib. His loss means more snaps for Logan Ryan (bad) and Marquise Cole (worse).

Yes the pass rush is still struggling but Ben dropped back to pass 55 times, so he's going to put up some hefty numbers. PFF graded him just above average. Hightower had his best game of 2013 (PFF grade +4.1), as did Chandler Jones (+2.8).

If Ninkovich goes down, that would be a great loss. He's currently ranked #4 overall by PFF among 4-3 DEs (Nink ranks #1 vs the run). Additionally PFF ranks Devin McCourty at #1 among all Safeties, and by a considerable margin.

RT depth is a concern. Cannon played well, but who's his backup?

As always, nice work TP. Thanks! Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I was real courious to see how the grades would be for this game.  Thanks TexasPat.  Pittsburgh defense got torched and they've had much worse defenses than this one in the past.  i don't know if they're that bad to where they will allow scoring records to be broke on them like Sunday.  Brady looked spot on.  He had some zip on the ball and was on target.  Hopefully, this will continue.  The patched up defense is doing better than expected.  

Sections
Shortcuts