Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned

Remember everyone, the Ravens lost 23-14 to the Steelers last year in the AFC championship. Ben was 16-33. Pitt couldn't run the ball. Should have lost but . . .  going against a rookie QB they picked him off 3 times. 

If we assume that Pitt is the same team, and we assume Flacco is better, this year Baltimore wins that game. As do the Colts and the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned:
    In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : Despite their losses, i don't think you can ever underestimate the Colts. They may not be as good, but as long as Manning is there they can be any one at any time. Except maybe the Chargers.
    Posted by Caesar1177

I can't see the Colts as legitimate SB contenders this season. Too much turnover on the coaching staff...questions on their OL, especially at the all important LT position...Bob Sanders looks to be gone for at least half the season.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Big Ben is an average QB with a great (Although last night they just looked good) defense. This is exactly what I thought of Brady early in his career.  Different today, but 01-04.  Average with a great d.
    Posted by underdogg

Brady never had a 1 & 2 reciever like Roethlisberger has. The best WR Brady had (Pre 2007, ofcourse) was Deion Branch. If Deion was on the Steelers he would probably be the third reciever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

To be fair, I thought the Titans were the *best team* in the NFL last season, so this game didn't surprise me. The Steelers were *handled* by them last season... In this case, yeah, I don't expect Bironas to miss two kicks inside of 50, let alone 40 (he's consistently been one of the best clutch kickers that no one really pays attention to), sorry, you just don't ... This was a classic Titans - type game to win... They didn't.... but I think it does show all of those people who thought the Titans were a fluke last year that maybe they should rethink that...

As for the game... As I remember (and I could be foggy on it), a defending super bowl champion once hosted the Steelers and Jets in back to back weeks (both, solid playoff teams as it turns out) to start the next season and basically *demolished* them... and then didn't make the playoffs... so you still have to think that it is *very* early and it is a long season...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : Mike and Mike this morning was saying that Ben was better than Brady and Manning simply because he wins....LOL!  Am I missing something?  I think that Brady and Manning win as well.....No?
    Posted by m1020us

As a Pats fan, Ben does not scare me. Rivers does not scare me. They may be good and maybe they will beat us, but there is only one QB that scares me. 

The dude with the fivehead and the little brother who is living off of one drive and his older brother's fumes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

To be fair, I thought the Titans were the *best team* in the NFL last season, so this game didn't surprise me. The Steelers were *handled* by them last season... In this case, yeah, I don't expect Bironas to miss two kicks inside of 50, let alone 40 (he's consistently been one of the best clutch kickers that no one really pays attention to), sorry, you just don't ... This was a classic Titans - type game to win... They didn't.... but I think it does show all of those people who thought the Titans were a fluke last year that maybe they should rethink that... As for the game... As I remember (and I could be foggy on it), a defending super bowl champion once hosted the Steelers and Jets in back to back weeks (both, solid playoff teams as it turns out) to start the next season and basically *demolished* them... and then didn't make the playoffs... so you still have to think that it is *very* early and it is a long season...
    Posted by Physics

I suppose to say it another way... you are always only one KC Cheifs game in the NFL away from every team figuring out something they can exploit and sending you into a 3-4 game losing skid until you correct those issues...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Remember everyone, the Ravens lost 23-14 to the Steelers last year in the AFC championship. Ben was 16-33. Pitt couldn't run the ball. Should have lost but . . .  going against a rookie QB they picked him off 3 times.  If we assume that Pitt is the same team, and we assume Flacco is better, this year Baltimore wins that game. As do the Colts and the Pats.
    Posted by Caesar1177

I challenge the assumption that Flacco will be better this season. How can he be, when he has no weapons at WR to help him? I also challenge whether the Ravens' "D" will be as good as last years' elite group. Ray Lewis is a year older, and Bart Scott is gone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I hope so cause trading Seymore was the last straw for me I lost alot of confidence in this defense when we traded him. dont ask me why

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I hope so cause trading Seymore was the last straw for me I lost alot of confidence in this defense when we traded him. dont ask me why
    Posted by MVPkilla

Last weekend a fantasy rube asked me if Jarvis Green and BenJarvus Green-Ellis were brothers.

I said, "Yeah, man . . .   soul brothers."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned :      Every team has problems. The Steelers had the exact same problems that you correctly mentioned above last year, yet won it all. Like the Patriots, the Steelers have morphed into a passing team. They have an elite QB, and an elite defense.        Of course, injuries can dramatically change the fortunes of a team. But, the Goths have survived without Polamalu before, as they are 6-2 in games played without him. Short of a serious injury to Big Ben (which could happen due to the Steelers' mediocre at best OL), theres' no way that the Baltimore Ravens beat the Goths out in the AFC North.      Take a look at the Ravens' weaknesses. Joe Flacco is a good young QB...but he's no Ben Roethlisberger. While Ben has WRs like Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, Flacco has 35 year old Derrick Mason, and not much else. The Ravens have a better OL than the Goths, and better RBs.      On defense, both teams are top notch...though one has to wonder how effective 34 year old MLB Ray Lewis will continue to be...and how the loss of LB Bart Scott affects them.
    Posted by TexasPat3

There is definitely a way Tex. The Steelers are trying to repeat, good luck even with a strong Team. Pitt got lucky last Night against Tenn. I think Baltimore takes it to them this year. Ravens 11-5 Pitt 10-6

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Posted by MVPkilla

WHY?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

Ben did what he always does.  And Polamolu is overrated.  I did enjoy that Brett Favre commercial though. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

How can anyone possibly believe that Polamalu (this is the correct spelling by the way) is overrated?  He is by far one of the best safties in the league.  Polamalu is so good and versitile that Dick Lebeau creates all of the defensive plays around him.  If you even watched the first half of the game before he got hurt he had an amazing one handed pick and already had 6 tackles.  How is this guy overrated?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned:
    Obviously a big win for the Steelers. The Titans are a good team. But with Polamalu missing for upcoming tough games against Chicago, San Diego and Minnesota, the D might be in for a rough stretch. What really would concern me, however, is the atrocious running game and offensive line. Ben got sacked four times last night and was under constant harassment. With the way he plays (trying to make something out of nothing when a play breaks down), that is a recipe for disaster. In short, the Steelers NEED to do something about that O-line or Baltimore will win that division.
    Posted by Caesar1177

What I found funny was if you listened to the announcers without watching or knowing the score you would have though Ben Burger threw for 900 yards and 15 TDs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : Mike and Mike this morning was saying that Ben was better than Brady and Manning simply because he wins....LOL!  Am I missing something?  I think that Brady and Manning win as well.....No?
    Posted by m1020us

Wilbon said the same thing on PTI. There must be a push at ESPN to make Ben the new great QB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned :      I can't see the Colts as legitimate SB contenders this season. Too much turnover on the coaching staff...questions on their OL, especially at the all important LT position...Bob Sanders looks to be gone for at least half the season.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I am not going to argue too much with the Bob Sanders comment except to say Melvin Bullitt played very well Bob Sander's absence.  Is he Bob Sanders, no, but then again there are very few that could hold Bob's jock.  On the other hand, I think Melvin Bullitt could start for most teams in the league - IMO.  Finally, if the colts assumed Sanders would be gone for at least half the season, they would have put him on the PUP to start the season.

As for the Colts O-line, I think this is greatly exaggerated.  Here's why
    *  Tony Ugoh started the last 2 years at left tackle and the colts determined this year that he has not played strong enough to deserve that spot, even after having a chance to win it back during camp. 
    *  In 2008 the injured colts line (including the ineffective Ugoh) gave up just 14 sacks including the time Manning was coming back from injury.  During this season the colts played with multiple line sets due to injuries to Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Mike Pollak, Tony Ugoh, and Jamey Richard.
    *  For 2009 all players are healthy and ready to play.  Former Rookies Pollak and Richard now have a year under their belt.  While they may not be a great run blocking line (haven't been for a couple of years), they will protect Manning.   

Coaching turnover is true, but has been minimized.  The HC is of no concern.  The question is how will the new DC and ST coaches do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

After watching the two defenses last night, it's Pats fans who should be concerned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

After watching the two defenses last night, it's Pats fans who should be concerned.
    Posted by Yapple

Actually, I saw how poor and sloppy both offenses played last night.....that does not concern me.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned :  How can anyone possibly believe that Polamalu (this is the correct spelling by the way) is overrated?  He is by far one of the best safties in the league.  Polamalu is so good and versitile that Dick Lebeau creates all of the defensive plays around him.  If you even watched the first half of the game before he got hurt he had an amazing one handed pick and already had 6 tackles.  How is this guy overrated?
    Posted by bostonbruins69

I agree.  He was in on every play before he got hurt, flying all over the field.  Sorry for this next comment, but I can't resist.  Is safety harder to spell than Polamalu?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : Wilbon said the same thing on PTI. There must be a push at ESPN to make Ben the new great QB
    Posted by Evil2009

LOL!  That is pathetic.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : I agree.  He was in on every play before he got hurt, flying all over the field.  Sorry for this next comment, but I can't resist.  Is safety harder to spell than Polamalu?
    Posted by newenglanderinexile

DOH!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeonLike. Show LeonLike's posts

M1020-How are ya little lady?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Fans Should Be VERY Concerned : Brady never had a 1 & 2 reciever like Roethlisberger has. The best WR Brady had (Pre 2007, ofcourse) was Deion Branch. If Deion was on the Steelers he would probably be the third reciever. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

If I had a nickel for everytime this comment was thrown out, I'd be rich.  Brady has had very good receivers and TE's who played very effectively within the pats system.  He's had good pass catching RB's, as well.  I'll say it always.  Brady is now a top 2 QB.  But he wasn't early - that was the same with Manning.  The defense is the primary reason the pats won their 3 super bowls. 

Comparing to the golf saying:  Drive for show; putt for dough.  The offense is the drive and the defense is the putt. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

I'll believe the Colts aren't Super Bowl contenders when I see it. Every year I've been saying that they are done. Every year I get p*ssed because I'm wrong. As Wes Mantooth might say: "I hate you Peyton Manning, but godd*amit, I respect you."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think both teams (Pittsburgh and Tennessee) are playoff caliber. Two of the best defenses, thus the low score. Missing two FGs was a freak situation (though wasn't one of them blocked?), and I doubt we'll see that happen again this season. Heinz Field is about the hardest place to kick a FG, though. But once again the Steelers came through in the clutch. People can claim Ben is a "mediocre" QB all they like. But though he doesn't put up Manning or Rivers-like numbers, he gets it done in the crunch. He actually did it twice last night, due to Ward's fumble. I'd still put him behind Brady and Manning, but not by much. Of course, if he keeps taking that many hits it's going to catch up to him. He won't be playing (or maybe even walking easily) at Favre's age if that's the case! But the guy is a winner, he simply gets it done at the end of the game. Can they win it all "by the skin of their teeth" again like last season? I don't know. That's a hard thing to do. Also, anyone who thinks Polamalu is overrated needs to sit down and actually WATCH this guy play! IMO, he is as good as Ed Reed. I would LOVE to see him in NE! He is always around the ball on just about every play. He can catch like Moss and hit like Rodney. I'm sure if you asked 31 OCs the one player they absolutely hate to gameplan against and he'd be in the top three. Like it or not, the Steelers are the reigning champs, and if our Patriots want to get to SB44 they will probably have to go through them to do it. But I wouldn't count the Titans out yet, either. Pittsburgh will surely miss Polamalu, but his loss won't cripple the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

People are dissing Ben here, but go and watch the last play before they kicked the game winning field goal in OT.

He reads through his progression, all receivers were very well covered and he was about to kick it out to Miller who had stayed in to block and released late as a safety valve. He even pumped toward Miller, but then for some reason, pulled it back down and saw the rookie moving to get open. An easy throw and completion and the W.

Yes, BR takes a long time with the ball. He sometimes extends the play by moving around in the pocket and just being too big to take down and he sometimes takes the sack. That is how he plays. But watch the replay of that pass and you will see something a little special about how he extended the play even when most QBs (including Brady and Manning) would have dumped it off to the TE for a short gain. I like that about the guy. (By the way, if I recall it was 2nd and 10 so there was no true need for BR to not dump it off.)

For people saying that you should be worried about the Steelers, didn't you see a game at all last season? They won a lot of games by just hanging around and winning it in the final drive. They had no running game to speak of. I saw pretty much the same team last night as I did last year. They are a good team and they will probably go far into the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts