Steelers mistakenly got first down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxfan74. Show patsoxfan74's posts

Steelers mistakenly got first down

ITTSBURGH (AP) -- Coach Mike Tomlin concedes the Steelers were mistakenly awarded a first down on a 9-yard run by Rashard Mendenhall during their 22-17 loss to the Jets on Sunday.

On first-and-10 from the Jets 35 early in the second quarter, Mendenhall gained 9 yards to the 26-yard line. After momentary confusion as the chain crew began moving the sticks, referee Peter Morelli's crew put the ball down at the 25 and signaled a first down.

The statistics crew hastily awarded Mendenhall a 10-yard carry - an extra yard that wound up giving him a 100-yard game. The Steelers went on to score a touchdown on Ben Roethlisberger's 9-yard pass to Matt Spaeth.

Mendenhall wound up with 100 yards on 17 carries, rather than the 99 he gained.

Tomlin said the Steelers benefited, but added that the spotting of the ball is always tricky, even if it shouldn't have been in this situation. CBS cameras clearly showed Mendenhall coming up short on the play.

"They spotted it as a first down and, in that situation, it worked in our favor so we moved on," Tomlin said. "I did think he was a yard short."

Mendenhall is seventh in the NFL with 1,173 yards rushing. He averages 83.8 yards per game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/12/21/steelers.firstdown.ap/index.html#ixzz18oHrCIJZ

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Steelers mistakenly got first down

When I saw that happen during the game -- and Simms and Nance actually discussed it -- I remember thinking that they might have been better off with 2nd-and-1 than 1st-and-10 in that situation. The next play was an incomplete pass, if I remember correctly, but you can't really extrapolate what might have happened had they gotten the spot and the down and yardage correct.

Just another example of inept part-time officials doing their funky weekend thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

A non-issue.   Didn't affect the outcome of the game or come at a critical time.  Spot jobs happen EVERY week.  Just like fair and foul in baseball; last person to touch the ball in basketball; and icing calls in hockey.

It happens. Life goes on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

At least their stadium didn't show it on the jumbo tron and then have it become a problem. Cheating never pays =steelers lost

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamDestruction. Show TeamDestruction's posts

Reminded me of the Redskins-Bucs game from a week ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

There were some bogus pass interference calls/non-calls that had way more impact on the game than this play. Had the Steelers won, maybe it would have been different. Pass interference rules remain the NFL bugaboo for officials swinging games.

Sections
Shortcuts