Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?

In Response to Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?:
         Think that the "spygate" BS is dead? Think again. One Pittsburgh writer claims that if the Steelers repeat in 2009, they, along with the Patriots, will own 3 titles in the decade. But, according to this knucklehead, the Steelers will win the tie-breaker because of spygate: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09252/996489-87.stm
    Posted by TexasPat3

I'm sure the Patriots were the only team in the NFL taping games/signals etc.

Funny how the article doesn't mention frequent steroid use by the Steelers during their heyday in the 70's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?:
    Pats have 1 more SB appearance and a 16-0 regular season.  Plus, Pats went through Pitt 2x to win SB.  Pitt won both SB without facing Pats in playoffs...it may not have mattered, but it's not on their resume.
    Posted by CharlestonDude

Just like Ward said.  "It's like they knew our plays."  So the two wins against Pittsburgh have asterisks written all over it because of SPYGATE. 

Steelers will easily be the team of the decade with a Super Bowl repeat this year.  3 Super Bowls in 5 year with no losses.  Pasterisks will only be known for the cheating years 2001-2007   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?:
    In Response to Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate? : thats what they want to think.they think ours will have a question mark which would make there wins stronger.but they have to re-peat and im afraid to say like the person who wrote the death star thread.the pats death star is fully operational,and the steelers will be crushed.
    Posted by mosseffect43

This defense will be in the bottom of the league and the last time I checked defense wins championships not offense.  Remember the greatest team on turf, the 2007 Patriots, the Vikings with Moss and Cullpepper. 

I'll take my chances with the almighty Steelers.  Can't wait to watch Moss get "Welkered."  That is if you can make the playoffs this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate? : Totally agree... Patriots went undefeated "after" spygate so that's dead. Statistically the Steelers can not mathematically match the Patriots accomplishments this decade, even with a superbowl win. I had the "Case closed" stamp on this argument already and that was without your insight about the head to head in the playoffs on the way to the superbowl. Would have to say I am even more sure now and would only even entertain the argument if they face each other and the Steelers completely trounced the Pats in the playoffs on the way to a repeat.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Is Ernie Adams still in the press box?  You know the guy with a photographic memory who's only job is to relay information back to Belicheat.  Then in my opinion the cheating is still going on.  What is his job exactly?   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

"Funny how the article doesn't mention frequent steroid use by the Steelers during their heyday in the 70's."

Why would it?  It doesn't have anything to do with the discussion of the recent decade. 

And, I'm sure the Steelers were the only team in the NFL using steriods, etc. ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate? :      Laurie...in all fairness to Ben Roethlisburger and Steeler Nation, its' becoming increasingly apparent that the charges against Big Ben are bogus. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Either way Tex, they will look for a way to keep people's minds focused elsewhere (IMO).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

The Houston Rockets won 2 NBA titles in the '90s while Jordan was playing baseball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate?:
         Think that the "spygate" BS is dead? Think again. One Pittsburgh writer claims that if the Steelers repeat in 2009, they, along with the Patriots, will own 3 titles in the decade. But, according to this knucklehead, the Steelers will win the tie-breaker because of spygate: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09252/996489-87.stm
    Posted by TexasPat3

Did he mention the Steelers "SteroidGate", or did he conveniently forget that? The team doctor was caught with over a million dollars of 'roids at the retail level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

RESPONSE: If you factor in spygate, you are lending credence to that bogus, media created scandal. No Patriots' fan should ever concede to this.
         That aside, you're right about the 18-1 season being a factor. After all, the Pats made it to the SB that year. They also accomplished something that no other team has done...going undefeated in a 16 game season.

Well, we probably can agree to disagree on several of your points, as I don't think one can look at plamer's injury as critical and not view Chis Johnson's or Plax's issues as noncritical last year as well. The NFL *is* about injuries and matchups, as it is about anything else.. and as fans we have to accept that pushing small edges, whether it is poor officiating, home field, injuries, spygate, etc., probably *do* have some influence on the outcome of games between two well-balanced teams otherwise. But If I'm a Bulls fan, I don't like giving credit to the Rockets championships in the NBA when MJ is not out there..

Regardless, I think I just feel cheated as an NFL Fan that we never really got that 'clasic' Steelers-Patriots game that we probably should have had considering how dominant these teams have seemed to be and how it seemed in 2003 you would just get these games every year (perhaps with eventually Big Ben finally leading his team over the Pats).. I think it is fair to say that BOTH teams have capitolized on the injuries (or having success in the face of injury) better than other teams in this decade, and neither will make excuses for those injuries.

But yeah, what you saw out of the 2007 Patriots was unique to this discussion. Something that no mere 'Super Bowl' could match. As I said, for good or bad, that team dominated the headlines like perhaps no other NFL team has ever done.

Posted by Physics

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

The Pats/Steelers game from 2007 is all you need to look at as a barometer of where these two teams stand today.  The Steelers had just about the same team/roster as they did in 2008.  The Pats had a healthy Brady that day and the outcome was decidely in the Pats favor. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ringleader. Show ringleader's posts

agcsbill you said it right...They could easily have 5 Vince Lombardi's.  Except for one play, a miraculous play, they would have beat the Giants for another trophy.  Also, if you remember, the year the Pats were going for the threepeat, they just plain played their worst playoff game of the past 20 years, fumbling and fumbling away the game at Denver.  Pittsburgh beat the Colts, but would never have been able to beat the Pats.  To me, that was a tough loss to the Bronco's, because everything else from there was set up for them to get the three in a row.  There might even have been a 6th, if not for another great play by the Colts the year they won theirs.  No other team in the decade has won big games, or been in a position to win big games, like the Patriots have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

"Funny how the article doesn't mention frequent steroid use by the Steelers during their heyday in the 70's." Why would it?  It doesn't have anything to do with the discussion of the recent decade.  And, I'm sure the Steelers were the only team in the NFL using steriods, etc. ;-)
    Posted by clouts

My point is, if you're going to call another team out for cheating (video taping to gain competitive advantage) to justify your own success, which is what he's trying to do here, then he should also mention how the Steeler's were big time steroid users (used to gain a competitive advantage) during their dynasty decade of the 70's. 

Were the Pat's the only team video taping? No.  Where the Steelers the only team using steroids?  No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

One of you with the horrible accents just called Spygate a blemish? Ahahahahahahaha-That's a scar that will never go away.Man oh man are you people brainwashed or what?!Can you imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth if somebody was filming the pats illegally(you know...cheating). It's just not the pats anymore that choose to cheat to win but now you have the sox that decided the only way to beat the Almighty Yankees was to fill themselves up with steroids! Can any team in NE win without cheating? That should stir the pot up just a bit. Your eloquently written and well thought out posts are always welcome! How are YA!?
    Posted by LeonLike

And the Yankees titles in the 90's are SOMEHOW not tainted while the Sox' are. Keep Dreaming Leon.  And oh by the way, the Celtics won a "clean" title, how long has it been for your beloved Knicks.  Not since '73 buddy.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I have a good friend that is a steelers fan, and he truly belives if the steelers win the sb this year they get co-team of the decade. As much as I hate it, I think it will happen also, whether we like it or not. This makes me sick, and I think the only way to stop it, is to make sure they don't win.

That fact that the whole nation hates us, and is just looking for an excuse to knock us down yet again doesn't help. Hell even if Pitt doesnt win this year, Im sure some may still try to make them the co-team of the decade.

And one last point.....If we do indeed get the team of the decade, Im sure some will try to put an asterik on that.....you can't win really, so just focus on pats football.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers Team of Decade if They Win in 2009, Due to Spygate? : My point is, if you're going to call another team out for cheating (video taping to gain competitive advantage) to justify your own success, which is what he's trying to do here, then he should also mention how the Steeler's were big time steroid users (used to gain a competitive advantage) during their dynasty decade of the 70's.  Were the Pat's the only team video taping? No.  Where the Steelers the only team using steroids?  No.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Fair enough.  I think the whole media-driven title is silly, especially when looking at one team's newspaper.  I really think the author was just pumping to his home crowd....which in most markets is what local papers do (I think we can all agree some in the Boston media certainly don't do that!!).

I won't get into one play here, one play there scenarios in how many SB's each won.  That's silly.  I could just as easily point to two plays that I felt were wronged in the 2001 AFC Championship that if they go Pittsburgh's way....NE never gets their first.  But, they did go their way so life goes on.  Shoot, if Ernie Mills doesn't run two bad routes, Pittsburgh beats the Cowboy's in '96 and now we are talking 7 SB titles.  This can go on and on.

I think NE is the favorite for the SB this year.  I think they are the "Team of the Decade"...But, so what?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Well, after seeing that game last night, I feel much better in my belief that last years Steelers were *very* fortunate that they didn't have to play the Titans last season due to that Chris Johnson injury. Then again, I thought Bironas was the best kicker in the NFL, so what do I know?

Sections
Shortcuts