Sterling Moore... He's a keeper!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Sterling Moore... He's a keeper!

Very impressed with Moore, especially in the last 4-5 games.
    Intelligent, a gamer and bust his b@lls to go from practice squad to hero.
    I hope he stays and grows with the team.  Fits in perfectly.
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7572746

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Sterling Moore... He's a keeper!

i look forward to seeing him grow with this team, he showed a great deal of potential and if dowling can stay healthy and we get back McCourty to rookie season form we could have a pretty good CB core.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

definitely, im a big fan of moore

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

his on ball skills are good but his tackling is not.  Came up big though and has earned a spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Sterling Moore... He's a keeper!:
      his on ball skills are good but his tackling is not.  Came up big though and has earned a spot.
    Posted by passfirst

Ask McCourty's shoulder about his tackling skills. Moore only missed 1 tackle the entire year, sadly, it happened at the biggest stage against Smith. Anyone remember when he forced that fumble that got overturned due to 12 men on the field? The guy reminds me of Ty Law, Dowling played with great potential when he was out there and one can only hope McCourty gets back to form. 

If only we had a FS for these guys to rely on. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Moore can play in the slot as well, which leaves McCourty and Dowling on the outside. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Hope he doesn't become this year's Eric Moore

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I think Moore has potential. Dowling could be an asset, but still needs to prove he can stay healthy (a problem in college, as well). I think McCourty suffered from the lack of an offseason. Hopefully he gets in there this spring and works on his weaknesses. They do need another safety, as Chung is good, but not another Rodney as we had hoped. Love to see them pick up Goldston, though I doubt Harbaugh is going to let him go. But the biggest help the secondary could get is a pass rusher to pressure opposing QBs. When the QB has all day to throw no secondary can cover everyone consistently. They need a playmaker like Willie used to be. They really haven't had that since 05, and the entire defense has suffered. I like Moore, though, and think he's earned a chance to win a spot this summer. They have been able to force turnovers in the regular season, but have come up short in the playoffs. Tom Brady may be the best QB in the league right now, but he cannot do it alone. BB has his work cut out for him on defense. But without a playmaker who can disrupt QBs in the big games it's hard for even the best offense to carry a game against elite teams. One thing for sure, it won't be hard to improve over last season on D. They need to stop teams from sustaining long time eating drives, even if they do tighten up in the red zone. That can win a lot of games from September through New Years, but won't get it done when it counts the most. Hopefully guys like Moore (and Dowling) will emerge as premier players, and McCourty can be coached to be a more solid tackler and put himself in better position. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I agree with all the above posts. Sterling Moore has definitely shown he can be a player in our D. Expect a high draft pick to be spend on a safety or CB with McCourty going to safety, and I feel our back 7 is in good shape. But we have got to get a pass rusher!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

You've got to be able to stick to the WR like glue...Moore has shown he has that ability to stay close and be competitive.  I really liked how he was playing. 

Dowling was playing the same way before getting hurt...being able to stay near his guy and get his hand in to break up a pass.  Health is a huge issue for Dowling...he was oft-injured in high school AND college...and now the Pros.

One move by the WR and DMac was two or three yards separated from whomever he was covering.  He wasn't able to maintain good position, technique, etc.  Arrington has been a great value, but I don't see him as a man to man cover corner.  His INTs came on mostly tipped balls.  I think I only saw him break off his responsibility once and go get the ball...against the Giants in the endzone in week 9.

Bodden couldn't stay on his guy either...he was too injured to do anything, which is why I think he was cut.  One stutter step or move by the WR and that's it...he was cooked.

They still need to find someone else capable of playing the position consistently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like Moore and he played pretty well but he did get cut by 2 teams this past yr so lets not make him more than he is. He should'nt be compared to Dowling who is superior to Moore when he's on the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like Moore and he played pretty well but he did get cut by 2 teams this past yr so lets not make him more than he is. He should'nt be compared to Dowling who is superior to Moore when he's on the field.
    Posted by stan17

Mike Vrabel was cut by two teams as well, James Harrison was cut 4 times, being cut doesn't mean a thing. Some players just fit into some systems better than others. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree 49P all I'm saying is I hope the guy pans out as much as everyone here but let's not get ahead of ourselves on his talent level yet.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Every so often BB hits it.  That's why he goes through dozens of players, even during the middle of the season.  He's looking when other coaches aren't.  He kicks an awful lot of less good players out the door after one week, though.  It's a business.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I agree, Moore played very well down the stretch and has earned the right to go to camp and battle for a spot.  Not sure if he could start providing things fall as hoped with Rasi coming back and DMac getting his Juju back, but he would provide solid depth and strong presence in nickel/dime situations. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The numbers say that our secondary stunk this year. If Moore is among the best we can put out there, next year will be more of the same. Bodden was a bust, McCourty was dreadful, Dowling is injury-prone, and none of the corners---Arrington included---seem to be able to turn and look back for the ball. Whether we get better via the draft or free agency, we gotta stop plugging in journeyman-stiffs with the expectation that miracles will happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

ding ding ding!!!!  I think trouts makes a good, solid point!  +1.  We need a playmaker at that position.

I do think Moore deserves more looks and a chance to play...he's done enough to warrant that.  But if that's what the Pats hang their hat on in the secondary next year....ugggghhhh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I dont think we need to spend a high pick at cb arrington is decent and had a good superbowl limiting cruz. moore showed he can play as well. and who said dowling was better is dumb dowling played 2 games wherethey gave up 800passing yards he wasnt very good. mcourty needs to get his act together

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I really look forward to seeing how Sterling develops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like Sterling Moore as well.  Kid showed a lot of potential and seems to be able to make plays.  Certainly deserves a shot at a roster spots. 

Be very interesting to see what BB does with the secondary in the coming season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

Not the best secondary in the league, but they are workable. Dowling is a question mark. Can you count on him to be healthy? Hopefully McCourty can work on the fundamentals with a full offseason (he's only had the one as a rookie and did well that year). But unless they can get a pass rush no secondary will be able to cover all day. I like Moore, and McC if he can work on a few things. They need another safety, someone who can get to the ball in the secondary. At least this year they'll have FA before the draft so they'll know better where the holes are.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Posted by stan17

Interesting point considering Dowling hasn't really ever been on an NFL field.

And to the above....I guess we all jumped the gun on Brady, 32 teams passed on him, multiple times each, in the draft. Troy Brown should've never been on the team by 01. Moss wasn't worth trading for. Antowain Smith was over the hill. And Corey Dillon was a malcontent. Sometimes you just have to come to your OWN conclusion about someone and not rely on their past in different places, or what other people thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

In my opinion, the corner back position is all set.  Ras I and McCourdy had down years.  Odds are that a full preseason will help.  Moore looked good and Arlington was good against Cruz.  They are better than average at Cornerback.  What hurt is the safety position.  There was a clear lack of communication and talent.  Chung is good.  They need someone to compliment Chung and help the Cornerbacks.  The cornerbacks will look better when they have help over the top.  The area of need is at OLB and DL.  The unit has to work as a whole.  A cornerback cannot cover a receiver forever.  The DL has to get to the QB.   The cornerback needs to take aways the quick strike receptions to allow the DL time to get to the QB.  Fix the DL and safety and this unit will be strong again. They won 15 games and looked better on defense at the end of the season.  They only gave up one TD in the superbowl.  The last one was a free pass.  They did their job. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We need a pass rush. A good pass rush I could play corner. I dont feel confident in any of our corners. Gimme some OLB and D End and that would change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I dont think we need to spend a high pick at cb arrington is decent and had a good superbowl limiting cruz. moore showed he can play as well. and who said dowling was better is dumb dowling played 2 games wherethey gave up 800passing yards he wasnt very good. mcourty needs to get his act together
    Posted by Bspikes55

Sections
Shortcuts