Sterling Moore?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Sterling Moore?

Seems odd that they cut him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Re: Sterling Moore?

Probably a good sign for the health of some of the injured DB's.

Could there be a trade in the works?

The cutting of Carpenter would have made sense if it was to create room for Pryor but I'm not sure how cutting Carpenter and then signing Rivera makes sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

He played in all 8 games this season so it is odd. The Herald speculated Chung and Gregory may be ready after the bye week moving McCourty back to corner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

They signed DB Derrick Martin

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

The Pats now have several PS spots available and apparently Moore has eligibility if he clears waivers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought Moore played the worst of the very ineffective DB's. no surprise he was cut, Dennard and Cole have definitely passed him on the chart. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He played in all 8 games this season so it is odd. The Herald speculated Chung and Gregory may be ready after the bye week moving McCourty back to corner.

[/QUOTE]

that would suck 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought Moore played the worst of the very ineffective DB's. no surprise he was cut, Dennard and Cole have definitely passed him on the chart. 

[/QUOTE]

but cole is out with injury

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Somewhat surprising, but what IS NOT surprising is that Moore has regressed this year.  He's been nowhere near his coverage responsibility...a couple yards off at all times.  He just hasn't kept to his guy like glue...something he was able to do more of last year.

Another guy regresses...what a shock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not odd, he stank.

It seemed in some limited action last year he might have been a find, but alas no. Or maybe he was good and succumbed to the terrible secondary coaching some here complain about. It does seem a lot of guys do regress. Whether that's because of coaching or not, I don't know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Somewhat surprising, but what IS NOT surprising is that Moore has regressed this year.  He's been nowhere near his coverage responsibility...a couple yards off at all times.  He just hasn't kept to his guy like glue...something he was able to do more of last year.

Another guy regresses...what a shock.

[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not odd, he stank.

It seemed in some limited action last year he might have been a find, but alas no. Or maybe he was good and succumbed to the terrible secondary coaching some here complain about. It does seem a lot of guys do regress. Whether that's because of coaching or not, I don't know.

[/QUOTE]

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Yeah it must have been the coaching. Nancy do you ever post anything positive? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hopefully Arrington was duct taped to his back as he left the building.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Moore was abysmal much of this season in every way, shape and form.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He was the worst corner they have had in a few years and that's saying something. He made some big plays stripping the ball but that was always right after being beat.

This is addition by subtraction!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Wonder if a trade is Imminent or is it to make room for a pup return. I'm hoping they trade for a corner, don't know anything about the guy they signed today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

It is seems odd for people to be saying that he stunk. At end of last year, his performance towards the end of the season (in particular his play that won the Patriots the AFC Championship) seemed to have most people thinking he was part of the future of the Patriots defensive backfield.

I am starting to get the feeling that the Patriots just keep signing any DB off the street hoping they are not a gawd-awful as the guys they have now... 

I know it gets re-hashed over and over on these boards, but it seems crazy that a team that is a perennial Super Bowl contender has so much trouble finding anyone who is more than just a warm body in the secondary. Is there something wrong with their system (ie, the way the defensive backfield is schemed just does not work), the scouting of talent or the ability to teach guys how to play. 

For a great defensive coach (who at one point was a secondary coach), BB has been taking far too long to put together even a servicable NFL secondary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah Frank, a few of our resident "experts" were talking about Sterling Moore during the offseason as a good young corner, part of that great young defense BB was putting together.  Some were even calling the secondary the best in the league. 

This was all nonsense and many of us argued for more skepticism in these evaluations.  Moore did make a nice play to knock the ball out of Lee Evans' hands, but people forget that the only reason Moore had the chance to knock the ball out was because Lee Evans was open enough with Moore in coverage to make a catch.  Similary, I believe it was Moore who was the corner beat by Manningham in the infamous sideline catch in the Super Bowl. In fairness to Moore, those both may have been difficult coverage assignments, but if you watched the games carefully, you understood that Moore was often beat.  He was aggressive trying to knock the ball out after the catch, but a corner's primary role is to prevent catches, not slap at the ball after it's been caught. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

I believe Moore had some safety flexibility having started his first game there. After all he did deliver one of the teams best hits last year albiet McCorty was the recipient (seperating his shoulder/missed some time)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Looks like Derrick Martin has replaced Moore and Rivera has replaced carpenter. Shiancoe and pryors return would require 2 more cuts. Martin may not be here long, and I could see this being a case of bringing him in during the bye to see what he has and then releasing him within a week or two when they are ready to decide on Pryor and get some of the kids healthy in the secondary.

Chung and Gregory will be back soon...McCourty will go back to corner...dennard hopefully at the other with Arrington and cole p,suing slot and in dime.... Still seem a cb short 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I feel bad for Moore. He was making a ton of big strides at the end of last season to the point where he was challenging Arrington for a starting position. He took a Butler type of turn in his second year though. I hope he lands on PS because I still think he has promise to be a slot CB

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

The guy regressed from last year like practically EVERY DB has done in year 2 in this system. To his credit, he has had that knee issue all year but even then, he has played better than Arrington who also got hurt recently so who knows..

Last year people penciled him in for a starting role and now he is  in a trash heap... Doubt they retain him or else they would have put him on I/R

What is it with these guys that B.B. doesnt like in their 2nd years. Look at Ras I. He started his 1st two games as a rookie and then comes back this year and is a healthy scratch until a couple weeks ago where they put him in due to injury. One point is they are getting hurt, but both these guys were in the dog house before injury so what is changing in offseason??

Time to scrap the whole scheme if you cant find YOUR players....enuf is enuf...Wow

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

like someone said, moore has very good ball skills, but cant keep up with a receiver to save his life.....he is almost the exact opposite of mccourty....mccourty stays in phase with the receiver, but never gets his head turned around....if only we can mold the ball skills of moore and speed of mccourty into one corner...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah Frank, a few of our resident "experts" were talking about Sterling Moore during the offseason as a good young corner, part of that great young defense BB was putting together.  Some were even calling the secondary the best in the league. 

This was all nonsense and many of us argued for more skepticism in these evaluations.  Moore did make a nice play to knock the ball out of Lee Evans' hands, but people forget that the only reason Moore had the chance to knock the ball out was because Lee Evans was open enough with Moore in coverage to make a catch.  Similary, I believe it was Moore who was the corner beat by Manningham in the infamous sideline catch in the Super Bowl. In fairness to Moore, those both may have been difficult coverage assignments, but if you watched the games carefully, you understood that Moore was often beat.  He was aggressive trying to knock the ball out after the catch, but a corner's primary role is to prevent catches, not slap at the ball after it's been caught. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't minimize the skill of knocking the ball out... Who else on this team does this...? Moore has made this play repeatedly and seems to have a knack for it. It takes coordination and talent.

yes, it means he was "beat" on the play until you realize the play ends with the ball on the ground. This is more than could be said about other DBS on this team.  He also appears to be a solid tackler.  Frankly i would have let Chung go instead.