Stevan Ridley - Must watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Stevan Ridley - Must watch

I saw this video minutes after the Pats drafted the kid... Many of you probably have too. Still worth watching. Can't wait to see the kid in pre-season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFrBEQiGb8

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: Stevan Ridley - Must watch

In Response to Stevan Ridley - Must watch:
    I saw this video minutes after the Pats drafted the kid... Many of you probably have too. Still worth watching. Can't wait to see the kid in pre-season.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

what video

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

ummmmm.........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFrBEQiGb8

Ive been really high on this kid since day one...just watch I can see him being are number 1 RB in a couple years. There is a reason they got a him a few picks after vereen they see something in him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

In Response to Re: Stevan Ridley - Must watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFrBEQiGb8 Ive been really high on this kid since day one...just watch I can see him being are number 1 RB in a couple years. There is a reason they got a him a few picks after vereen they see something in him
    Posted by xxcodyfxx

oh that's my bad. haha. that is the one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

The dude got some heat to him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

does anyone have any first hand reports on him from camp so far? most of the local media hasnt said much about him that i have noticed, except for patriots weekly blog. they have mentioned a few times that he looks more fluid and agile than his draft reports lead us to believe. i'm excited about this guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i hope he has very strong arms, becasue he's hard to bring down and he fights for yards after contact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

does anyone have any first hand reports on him from camp so far? most of the local media hasnt said much about him that i have noticed, except for patriots weekly blog. they have mentioned a few times that he looks more fluid and agile than his draft reports lead us to believe. i'm excited about this guy.
    Posted by artielang

not a whole lot has been reported about him, but all reports I have heard have been positive. PFW guys are surprised by him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

That's a pretty GREAT vid... Puts the 2 ones utterly to shame, that they had up during my angry initial rant at selecting Ridley in the 3rd, 2+ Rds ahead of his projected draft slotting (I CAN accept to find underlying skill in a draftee, no prob...even IF he ain't part of my year-long scouting choices, but multi-rd reaches just eat my heart away).  Ridley was a tough call, falling under the radar of even the best draft scouts and most thorough scouting sites.  EXCELLENT vid...feelin' infinitely better at what I see outta him now, on field (what I never got to see before). 

In all, I'm not even talkin' about him bull-dozing some guys when I make this comparison...BUT Stevan Ridley?  On film, it appears he has better open field moves (tcles/missed, not tckles/brkn), then Lawrence Maroney ever had...= an inch and a half and 15+ more lbs of truck weight moving, to compensate for. 

Startin' now to see BB's "madness" this year, when wanting & targeting RBs- A: BEST Combo (KEY!-i.e. "both") of first cut/move/tckle break/elusiveness (what-have-you), Coupled With forward moving, & deliberate downfield running efficiency.  PERIOD...that's what you're getting imo, w/ Ridley & Vareen=Make your decision, make your seam cut, or cut-back, as Quick & hard & Instantly as possible, and head downfield in the direction of getting THE most CERTAIN positive yardage.  Opposite: Turn, spin, ankle break...go forward, then back, then make 12 people miss and get 27 yards outta seemingly nothing- THEN do the same, and get tackled for a loss in the next 2 plays.  BB's ALL about conservation of the most & very best odds & gambling w/ on-field play, that percentage-wise, and inch by inch, seem to MOST gurantee you the best, or just better betting success (to go forward, make plays, get a TD, even play Defense).  

So yea...Excellent vid on this one here:  "Stevan Ridley=Pretty elusive, & quick-movin' Little forward stampeding Rhino/Bull-dozer/Elephant," ain't he?

of note: Check out Spikes on the side-page clips (His NE highlights)...  Now THAT is 1, I DID call...Day A#1.  PERFECT Reel, upon 3/4's of the world gettin' bogged down in his track 40 time.  A few instances:  Early on in his very 1st pass break-up...He's sided w/ Mayo (obviously).  But just check out Spikes starting that initial pass-drop D back-up, 1 or 2 feet even before Mayo begins to fully know for sure it's a pass-play (and his eyes are just DEAD-on reading the QBs target zones).  There's another one, where he picks Sanchez at the goal-line, and THIS one's just f'ing absurd.  Sanchez offers actually, a VERY good play-action fake hand-off (in an area of the field 5-7 oppossing team's yardline, where everyone just KNOWS it'll be a certain run)...  But Spikes, Spikes actually has his foot planted (in reverse, and in balance to cover the throw) even BEFORE Sanchez himself does his half-step firing of the football=NASTY...just unreal instincts, UN-real.  And this was what us "Spikes Apologists" said from Day 1, but just seeing it THAT good in pro film, is unbelievable.  

...and good god=Does he fire through & into those massive NFL O-Lineman, or what?  We KNEW he was fast & instinctual to simply GET there, and read play direction prior to anyone & everyone else...but just check out some of the plays he simply MAULS O-lineman attempting to stop him (there's a few I saw on there, where he actually ends up spinning and turning/knocking, an O-Lineman, completely sideways to the field of play).

~This might be a good year, ya know?       

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Runs with a good angle

stiff hips - never going to make someone miss in space

fights for extra yards - wide body and thick legs tough to bring down

--> Kinda reminded me of a poor man's Marshawn Lynch

I could see Vereen and this kid forming a similar duo to the one that Carolina has in DeAngelo Wiliams (Vereen) and Jonathan Stewart (Ridley)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Runs with a good angle stiff hips - never going to make someone miss in space fights for extra yards - wide body and thick legs tough to bring down -- /> Kinda reminded me of a poor man's Marshawn Lynch I could see Vereen and this kid forming a similar duo to the one that Carolina has in DeAngelo Wiliams (Vereen) and Jonathan Stewart (Ridley)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

that sounds great, but what becomes of BJGE and Woodhead. JOGJAM

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Stevan Ridley - Must watch : that sounds great, but what becomes of BJGE and Woodhead. JOGJAM
    Posted by oh-my-beard

"Logja-  errr, nevermind...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Runs with a good angle stiff hips - never going to make someone miss in space fights for extra yards - wide body and thick legs tough to bring down -- /> Kinda reminded me of a poor man's Marshawn Lynch I could see Vereen and this kid forming a similar duo to the one that Carolina has in DeAngelo Wiliams (Vereen) and Jonathan Stewart (Ridley)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I think Cedric Benson is a better guy to compare him too.

Dissappointed that he dropped some passes the last couple days and fumbled. Although he isn't a butter fingers. 

But still his measurables and running style are reminiscent of a big back with a little shift like Cedric Benson. They share (when Benson is healthy) that quality of being really quick for a guy their size. Ridley gets on holes and defenders with a lot of quickness. And he isn't a classic HR threat, but he can break them better than BJGE and is a load to bring down in the field.

He is also really tough, and I can say that he loves to play, unlike Charles Scott, his massive predecessor, who sometimes appeared to not be really fired up.

I see him being a kind of game plan back at first. BB will likely plug him in against teams that are light in the defensive front and backfield. He could also be an awesome clock-killing back. Bringing this kid in in the 4th quarter  ... ouch ... he will be a load against a tired defense .... which is exactly when he got his best yardage in the NCAA. He is also a better short yardage runner than BJGE. Not that BJGE is terrible ... but he isn't excellent. Ridley has flashed the ability to be really excellent at this.

I see a good chance that he could develop into the lead back. More than anyone on the roster, Ridley is physically built to carry a load. He could carry the rock 20-30 times a game and you wouldn't have to worry about him breaking down. He's one of those cats who looks frighteningly fresh in the 4th quarter.  

I will root for this kid all the way.

Incidentally, good mojo? Stevan Ridley tied Kevin Faulk's LSU Tiger single season record of 15 rushing TDs last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tom Curran wrote that he has been a surprise, with nice size, some quickness and wiggle. If this is true and accurate, then the pats have found themselves a gem, because guys in his size category generally are one trick ponies that last three years before something breaks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

@zbellino - i forgot that marshawn lynch could catch... Cedric Benson is a better comparison (need to sub if you want speed/agility/pass-catching)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

And some said they didn't get this pick.  Amazing.  He runs, catches and blocks and he did it in spot/complementary duty at LSU which means he knows how to produce at a high level when called upon. Great pick. Corey Dillon (not as good a runner) with better hands.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

He does remind me of Dillon, a little too upright, little stiff, but just a violent runner. Dillon ran angry, I've never seen someone do that for so long, he just wanted to hurt people and be nasty...and he was. He was built like a rock and I couldn't believe the hits he'd take. Can this kid be like that? Probably not, he looks a little doughy and happy compared to Dillion, but who knows?

Sections
Shortcuts