Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie, Boston media is the laughing stock...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie, Boston media is the laughing stock...

Pats fans, leave Steve DeOssie alone
    By Steve Buckley | Thursday, February 9, 2012 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Columnists
    Photo
    Photo by AP

This is for youse knuckle-dragging, nose-picking, mismatched-socks-wearin’,couldn’t-win-a-battle-of-wits-with-a-Pepsi-machine Patriots [team stats] fans who are spitting up your Doritos over Steve DeOssie’s over-the-top passion for the New York Giants: You’ve

become the laughingstock of sporting America.

We’re not talking about all Pats fans. Just the crayon crowd that’s lathered up because DeOssie, a Boston native who gets paid to talk about the Patriots on television and radio, did the sis-boom-bah the other day at a rally celebrating the Giants’ 21-17 victory over New England in Super Bowl XLVI.

Never mind that DeOssie, a onetime linebacker and long-snapper, played four-and-a-half of his 13 NFL seasons with the Giants, or that he was a member of the team’s 20-19 victory over Buffalo in Super Bowl XXV.

(Or that his own son, Zak, plays for the Giants.)

He’s one of us. He rooted for the Giants. Villain!

“I have great respect for the Patriots, for the Kraft family and for coach (Bill) Belichick, but I will forever be indebted to the Giants for getting me the help I needed when I had drug issues,” DeOssie said yesterday.

“That was 21 years ago, and I haven’t touched a drug since. They could have sent me packing. Without that, there’s a possibility I’m not even alive.

“They’re family to me,” he said. “That’s the way I’ll always feel about the Giants, whether my son is there or not. But that he does play for them, that’s a bonus.”

What some people can’t comprehend is the simple reality that professional athletes often form a lifelong bond with the team that made them. It’s why Medford’s Mike Pagliarulo will always root for the hated New York Yankees, and, yep, it’s why West Roxbury’s Chris “Knuckles” Nilan will always root for the hated Montreal Canadiens.

“Listen, I grew up a Bruins [team stats] fan and lived and died with them,” Nilan said yesterday. “But I got drafted by the Canadiens and ended up playing for a team that shows a lot of class and has a lot of tradition. The good things in my career happened with the Canadiens, including a chance to play on a Stanley Cup winner.”

The parallel with DeOssie is even more striking when one takes into account that Nilan, too, has had his share of well-documented substance-abuse issues. In his case, it was booze. He says he’s been cleaned up for a year now, and, guess what, he credits the Canadiens for helping him out. He’s now doing a sports talk show for a Montreal radio station.

“If people don’t like me because I like the Montreal Canadiens, do you know what they can do?” Nilan said. “It doesn’t bother me. And I feel bad for the situation (DeOssie) is in, but he’s a big man with broad shoulders. He can handle himself.”

Nilan’s going to take some heat for that from the brave posting warriors in our audience, but he happens to be right about this one.

Lay off DeOssie, folks. It’s embarrassing. The Pats lost. Get over it.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1402296

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie Boston media is the laughing stock...

What is wrong with these knuckle head writers. They just don't get it. He can cheer for whoever he wants there is nothing wrong with that and no one is bit*hing about it either. What has got people upset is what he said in his rant about patriot players and the guys he was working with. Give me a break stop trying to defend him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie Boston media is the laughing stock...

Buckley obviously doesn't understand that DeOssie basically gave NE the middle finger ranting about Pats fans/media and how difficult it is living here and wishing he was in NY. Heaven forbid we pay his paychecks from visiting his restaurant, watching his post game show, and listening to him on the radio

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie Boston media is the laughing stock...:
    [QUOTE]What is wrong with these knuckle head writers. They just don't get it. He can cheer for whoever he wants there is nothing wrong with that and no one is bit*hing about it either. What has got people upset is what he said in his rant about patriot players and the guys he was working with. Give me a break stop trying to defend him!
    Posted by fourjays30[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.   He said that he dislikes the Patriots organization and their fans, his co-workers and finds it difficult to live in Boston.  Why is he still living here if that is what he thinks?  He definitely shouldn't have anything to do with the Patriots organization. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie, Boston media is the laughing stock...

Wasn't the rally before the game?  He doesn't even have that right.
    These so-called journalist-media really need to learn to not bite the hand that feeds them.
    Any dog knows that and if they don't they're normally destroyed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie, Boston media is the laughing stock...

Does this remind anyone else of Giselle defending Brady?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

suck on that DeOssie

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

If he loves the Giants organization so much he should ask them for a job. Guy is a complete idiot for his rant. Buckley has some nerve, the Boston sports writers are whiners who do everything they can to run certain players outta town. Idiots like Shaughnessy will always have their agenda's which is to always be negative.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Another NY azz clown gives his 2 cents. Screw him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Steve Buckley: Leave DeOssie alone....No Stevie, Boston media is the laughing stock...:
    [QUOTE]suck on that DeOssie
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]
    Devils. Stanley Cup 2003

but Devils and Giants play in New Jersey so take away 3 but Patriots play in Foxboro so take away 3. so you got:

Boston 4
    New York 1