Steve Maneri only TE tonight . . . what will we see?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Steve Maneri only TE tonight . . . what will we see?

It's preseason, so it's not a problem to have essentially no TEs on the roster, but I think it will be interesting to see who the Pats put on the field tonight with Steve Maneri (a converted tackle) being their only TE.  

Will they play Develin at TE?  Or maybe even put a defensive player out there?

Will they use lots of four receiver sets?  If so, it could give us interesting looks at a lot of the guys competing for spots at that position.

Do we see some interesting two or even three-back sets?

I think this will be interesting mostly because it looks like the TE position could be thinner this year than we've seen in a while, and tonight's game might give us a few hints of what Belichick and McDaniels have up their sleeves for the regular season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Steve Maneri only TE tonight . . . what will we see?

Lets be honest. Gronk is the only receiving TE we have who is a threat. Develin and hooman are nice and can catch, but they don't pose any match up challenges for opposing DC's.

the point is, if they trot maneri, develin, hooman or a defensive end out there, there is a high probability it will be a running play. 2 te sets here don't strike any fear. 

I have been saying this for a while, but I think this is the year of the dual threat rb. Vereen and white on the field at the same time present question marks...pass or run, line up behind Brady or in the slot, split out wide. The point is I think the combo of Vereen and white, and using some of our bigger wr's like Dobson, Lafell, maybe tyms if he makes it might be somewhat equivalent to the 2 TE attack we featured with Gronk and ah in terms of pass or run. 

Outside of that (assuming no Gronk) we have some pretty vanilla receivers that are going to first have to stay healthy, and second, step it up. Gronk again is the key to this offense. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets be honest. Gronk is the only receiving TE we have who is a threat. Develin and hooman are nice and can catch, but they don't pose any match up challenges for opposing DC's.

the point is, if they trot maneri, develin, hooman or a defensive end out there, there is a high probability it will be a running play. 2 te sets here don't strike any fear. 

I have been saying this for a while, but I think this is the year of the dual threat rb. Vereen and white on the field at the same time present question marks...pass or run, line up behind Brady or in the slot, split out wide. The point is I think the combo of Vereen and white, and using some of our bigger wr's like Dobson, Lafell, maybe tyms if he makes it might be somewhat equivalent to the 2 TE attack we featured with Gronk and ah in terms of pass or run. 

Outside of that (assuming no Gronk) we have some pretty vanilla receivers that are going to first have to stay healthy, and second, step it up. Gronk again is the key to this offense. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree we could see the 2 RB sets but my guess wouldn't be so much Vereen and White but Devlin and either Vereen or White. The reason is more flexibility. You can flex with Devlin as a lead blocker, you can do a quick snap to FB (which will occasionally catch players off guard) you could flex either out (Devlin as a TE) push Devlin inline  to a single RB set. Just seems there is more you can do with a FB/TE in a 2 RB set then 2 similar RB's in White and Vereen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

5 wide with the QB in the shotgun every snap.  Coach Belichick saw one of the many topics on this "issue" on the forum and decided to make things interesting :).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

There's Miller too, right? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Miller was waived to make room for Worthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Miller was waived to make room for Worthy.

[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. I guess the Pats website is a little slow to update.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

My thought is that BB plans to pounce on any serviceable TE that comes along during final cuts.  With that in mind, I looked around a little at other teams.  GB, for example, has 7 TEs in camp (or 6 depending on Lyerla's injury).  A beat writer out there says that 3 TEs will go and his bet is: Andrew Quarless (6-4, 252, 5yrs), Jake Stoneburner (6-3, 249, 2yrs), and Justin Perillo (6-3, 250, R).  Do any draftniks have any old info on these guys?  Or are there any other favorites out there to pick up?  I do not think Finley or Keller are viable because it's been crickets out there.  Nor do I think the scrubs they brought in are the answer.  In fact, I'm 50/50 in Hooman.  He can block sure, but his hands are made of stone. 

As far as 2 and 3 back sets, the thought is interesting.  BB revolutionized offensive football with the 2 TE set and I wish we could continue it.  Unfortunately, it takes special athletes which we don't have.  In truth, it also exposes the TEs to a lot of injuries.  Gronk, of course, has had more than his share. AH had many injuries and so has Hooman, actually.  Perhaps 2 RBs with pass catching ability is the answer.  They should be able to get blockers in front.  Maybe this is a return to the magnificent screen game we used to have?  Maybe BB and McDaniels are going in a different direction.  I think they will need legit downfield threats for this to work to open up space in the mid-field.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I give Manieri credit, he was on the field Sunday. Unfortunately, he looks like an OL trying to play TE. He could step into that Mulligan role and block well I assume. I have not seen him with pads on yet

I do recall he was here before as an OL, but I do not recall seeing him play

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

probably domination from edelman, Danny and Lafelle, with a lot of action for Rid, Vareen and White... As long as Maneri can block, then he fills an important role.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

probably domination from edelman, Danny and Lafelle, with a lot of action for Rid, Vareen and White... As long as Maneri can block, then he fills an important role.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

don't think I agree. Regardless if it is Mulligan, Hartsock or Manieri, if the player is there to block only, and catch 1-2 surprise passes for the SEASON, I think an OL can fill that role. Carry 9 OL rather than 8 OL.

Thats my thinking on Devlin as well. If he is there to block only, and catch a surprise pass here or there for the season, does that warrant a roster spot? I think I prefer the 3rd QB, the 4th RB and the 6th WR/KR over the guy who only blocks  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Yahoo.com still shows Terrence Miller on the roster as well, although they list his as being cut on Wednesday on the transactions page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/roster/" rel="nofollow">http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/roster/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

don't think I agree. Regardless if it is Mulligan, Hartsock or Manieri, if the player is there to block only, and catch 1-2 surprise passes for the SEASON, I think an OL can fill that role. Carry 9 OL rather than 8 OL.

Thats my thinking on Devlin as well. If he is there to block only, and catch a surprise pass here or there for the season, does that warrant a roster spot? I think I prefer the 3rd QB, the 4th RB and the 6th WR/KR over the guy who only blocks  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The FB role is more important imo as it provides different looks to defenses. BB talked about the flexibility of that position last year. If Dev can play h back, line up at TE, and is an able pass catcher (who I hope we utilize more as we did in tye dynasty era) then he is an important roster spot. Other then, I agree woth you to a certain extent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"Thats my thinking on Devlin as well. If he is there to block only, and catch a surprise pass here or there for the season, does that warrant a roster spot?"

That about sums up my feeling on the topic. The "BLOCKING TE" is the biggest fallacy in football today. It's kinda an excuse for not having someone who can actually play the position.  Nothing a defense loves more than no offensive threat on the end of the line so they can load the box, run through our O-line and smother the play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree we could see the 2 RB sets but my guess wouldn't be so much Vereen and White but Devlin and either Vereen or White. The reason is more flexibility. You can flex with Devlin as a lead blocker, you can do a quick snap to FB (which will occasionally catch players off guard) you could flex either out (Devlin as a TE) push Devlin inline  to a single RB set. Just seems there is more you can do with a FB/TE in a 2 RB set then 2 similar RB's in White and Vereen

[/QUOTE]

I think if you use two passing backs, you have the ability to flex one out to either side of the formation as a receiver, but you can disguise the strength of the formation until before the snap. I see the possibility of them using two passing backs like this, with motion to help leave the defense guessing or to help reveal the coverage scheme.  Of course you have two potential runners as well, though unless one is an okay blocker, you maybe are a bit short on blockers and therefore are relying on spreading the defense to create space rather than pushing them out of the way. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I think if you use two passing backs, you have the ability to flex one out to either side of the formation as a receiver, but you can disguise the strength of the formation until before the snap. I see the possibility of them using two passing backs like this, with motion to help leave the defense guessing or to help reveal the coverage scheme.  Of course you have two potential runners as well, though unless one is an okay blocker, you maybe are a bit short on blockers and therefore are relying on spreading the defense to create space rather than pushing them out of the way. 

[/QUOTE]

I think keeping 2 players in the backfield is an advantage for the quick Playoff defenses we will be facing in January. Once again it allows them to load the box and easily take away the short passes, that will beat weak regular season teams, and stampede our O-line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We are most effective as a spread offense.....period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Thats my thinking on Devlin as well. If he is there to block only, and catch a surprise pass here or there for the season, does that warrant a roster spot?"

That about sums up my feeling on the topic. The "BLOCKING TE" is the biggest fallacy in football today. It's kinda an excuse for not having someone who can actually play the position.  Nothing a defense loves more than no offensive threat on the end of the line so they can load the box, run through our O-line and smother the play.

[/QUOTE]

I also think it a stretch to say that Devlin can play the position of TE. He is not a very good pass catcher or route runner. He has seen some reps at TE in practice, and he looks awkward and uncomfortable in the passing aspect. He does like to hit people however.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand your point but....

If you have a 3rd TE that can block, catch and add depth to the OL isn't that more valuable to the team than an extra one role player? Ditto on FB? Of course the trick is finding the player who can execute that vision.

I think we have adequate depth at WR - if players execute their role. What concerns me is the strength and depth on the lines. I think Dev and Maneri could help the O line. But we shall see.

To the OP, I would like to see how well he handles his blocking assignments, does he slide to help if he can and can he catch. Not much right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think this is going to be an extended look at Maneri to see what he has learned 4 years in the league after transitioning from Tackle to TE.  The Pats liked him back in 2010 for a reason, his shuttle time at his Pro Day was the same as smaller Jermaine Greshem and just below Gronk and Jimmy Graham; pretty good TE class in 2010 btw.

He is still an outside shot, he's always been a "project" but tonight will be a long look for him, they are thin at TE and more importantly I think they want to measure Gronk's snaps.  IMO Huey is still an oversized fullback, blocks better out of the backfield but could be used in the passing game more and deserves those looks.  But having a large Kyle Brady type TE who can be a dual threat on the goal line with soft hands would make us tougher and that's something we've lacked on both sides of the ball for some time now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My thought is that BB plans to pounce on any serviceable TE that comes along during final cuts.  With that in mind, I looked around a little at other teams.  GB, for example, has 7 TEs in camp (or 6 depending on Lyerla's injury).  A beat writer out there says that 3 TEs will go and his bet is: Andrew Quarless (6-4, 252, 5yrs), Jake Stoneburner (6-3, 249, 2yrs), and Justin Perillo (6-3, 250, R).  Do any draftniks have any old info on these guys?  Or are there any other favorites out there to pick up?  I do not think Finley or Keller are viable because it's been crickets out there.  ....

[/QUOTE]

Not a draftnik, but Quarless has been around a while.  He's a good pass catcher, not much of a blocker as I recall. But, he's had some injuries, missed a lot of time. ACL, I think? Don't know the other guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Tell that to kyle brady and many others who made a career of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kyle Brady was a 1st round pick, who in the peak of his career had 64 receptions for 700+ yards. That's hardly comparable to what we have to offer after GRONK.  He was an all around TE that was a threat to catch the ball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kyle Brady was a 1st round pick, who in the peak of his career had 64 receptions for 700+ yards. That's hardly comparable to what we have to offer after GRONK.  He was an all around TE that was a threat to catch the ball.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Kyle caught 343 balls in 174 games, also known as under 2 per....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we never saw the best of Kyle Brady here. at one time he was a great TE. dual threat in every sense of what the TE was in those days. big, big man, who moved really well. I believe he was 10-20 lbs heavier than Gronk

Sections
Shortcuts