Steven Jackson coming to NE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Steven Jackson coming to NE?

In Response to Re: Steven Jackson coming to NE?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Steven Jackson coming to NE? :      Even RBs like Adrian Peterson aren't worth risking a long term, big money contract on. There's too great a chance of injury. Look no further than Peterson. Look what happened to Forte last year.      You're okay with Ridley, Vereen, and Woodley? What happens if Ridley gets hurt? Vereen and Woodhead aren't capable of being good goal-line backs,  picking up the 3rd and ones...or of wearing down defenses.  
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]
    they signed all those silly fullbacks this offseason, i'd like to think they can pick up the goal line yardages in the jumbo power lead type plays..Look around the league, most teams don't have great depth at RB.  Why?  Because RB could well be the least important position in the modern NFL offense, the game is being spread out horizontally and stretched vertically more and more each season.  I'd spend money upgrading the O-line before RB in a heartbeat.  Runningbacks are a dime a dozen and wear out in a heartbeat, as you mentioned.  I get your point though, if a cheap veteran or mid round draft pick is what you have in mind.  Only so many roster spots though, you can't have great depth+top end talent at every position, sometimes you have to take calculated risks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Ronnie Brown would be an interesting pickup if the Pat's do not get a RB in this year's draft . . . right now I think the Jets are looking at Brown as the replacement for Tomlinson so I'd expect them to go after him if they feel he has something left in the tank.  Brown didn't catch any ball last year but he was a 30 plus guy with Miami . . . at one million/year he maybe a cheap fill-in while Ridley develops but he has to be willing to block for Brady!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]Ronnie Brown would be an interesting pickup if the Pat's do not get a RB in this year's draft . . . right now I think the Jets are looking at Brown as the replacement for Tomlinson so I'd expect them to go after him if they feel he has something left in the tank.  Brown didn't catch any ball last year but he was a 30 plus guy with Miami . . . at one million/year he maybe a cheap fill-in while Ridley develops but he has to be willing to block for Brady!
    Posted by tenace4life[/QUOTE]
    He never recovered from that foot injury he had a few years back, sadly he lost alot of the push and burst that made him a real threat in Miami...Just my opinion, but I don't see much left in the tank with him.  Just reinforces the truism that runningbacks have a very, very limited shelf-life in the nfl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

If the browns pass on Richardson, the Bucs will get him. 

@TexasPat, You asked who would be our goal line back if Ridley went down?  Well im gonna ask you who our last goal line back was PERIOD?  BJGE was a SOLID running back, but if the game was on the line and we needed a score inside the 10 yard line... we did it successfully through the air.  NE has not had a back that could shove it down someones throat in a long time.

If we get Steven Jackson, and thats a big if, New England will have a very scary offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Has everyone forgotten Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis. There was your 3rd and 1 guy for t he ages.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]They now have 73 players with contracts and that's before the draft and undrafted invitees. Figure at least another 10 at least in that category. Now Steven Jackson , who is a load when healthy, runs hard and doesn't fumble.  3  questions. 1. Where are all these players going to play? 2. If they have no guaranteed money, and very little chance of making the team why would guys like Gonzalez , Stallworth and others, sign with NE ? 3. How do they sign all these veterans , without them going against the Cap? Obviously I don't understand how it works.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]

Good questions, mainly number 1. Ocho could barely get on the field last year, partly beacuse he couldn't grasp the offense, and partly because all of the passes that went to Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Branch. Assuming Welker is back, I'd guess most of the passes are still going to that core group, with possibly Lloyd getting more looks than Branch, if he and Brady can work together well. Ocho is coming back along with Edelmann, Underwood and Britt Davis. They have lost BJGE and cut Polite, but added WRs Stallworth, Gonzalez, and Lloyd, TE Fells, and FBs Larsen and Fiametta. I just dont see where are all of these roster spots are coming from? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]Has everyone forgotten Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis. There was your 3rd and 1 guy for t he ages.
    Posted by tjwoods[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! BJGE had, I believe 26 TD in the last 2 years,  and I can only remember  1 long run and 1 pass , most were from the 10 and in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

They freed up a whole lot of cap space for something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Steven Jackson coming to NE? : they signed all those silly fullbacks this offseason, i'd like to think they can pick up the goal line yardages in the jumbo power lead type plays..Look around the league, most teams don't have great depth at RB.  Why?  Because RB could well be the least important position in the modern NFL offense, the game is being spread out horizontally and stretched vertically more and more each season.  I'd spend money upgrading the O-line before RB in a heartbeat.  Runningbacks are a dime a dozen and wear out in a heartbeat, as you mentioned.  I get your point though, if a cheap veteran or mid round draft pick is what you have in mind.  Only so many roster spots though, you can't have great depth+top end talent at every position, sometimes you have to take calculated risks.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

It is because the Pats signed all those silly FBs, that I believe that BB intends to bring in a big-time RB. Otherwise, signing all those FBs doesn't make sense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I think the Browns have to go with Blackmon at #4. And they should probably use their other 1st rounder on Hill or Floyd if they fall that far. If not, take a top end TE. Everyone has been pinning the Browns' struggles on McCoy, but what targets have they given him at all? He was a very high efficiency QB in college, but if you have no WRs to throw to that goes downhill really fast. Give him two solid targets in the first round, maybe take James out of Oregon later on, put Cribbs in the slot and you have a high flying skill set O. Use the rest of the draft on O line and defense and put a fun product on the field next year like the Lions did. If they do that, maybe free agents would actually want to play there. Take a kid with a little potential like the kid from AZ or a kid from a smaller school to give McCoy a push if you want, but nobody is going to be a star with Little, Cribbs and Massaquoi as their targets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Browns have to go with Blackmon at #4. And they should probably use their other 1st rounder on Hill or Floyd if they fall that far. If not, take a top end TE. Everyone has been pinning the Browns' struggles on McCoy, but what targets have they given him at all? He was a very high efficiency QB in college, but if you have no WRs to throw to that goes downhill really fast. Give him two solid targets in the first round, maybe take James out of Oregon later on, put Cribbs in the slot and you have a high flying skill set O. Use the rest of the draft on O line and defense and put a fun product on the field next year like the Lions did. If they do that, maybe free agents would actually want to play there. Take a kid with a little potential like the kid from AZ or a kid from a smaller school to give McCoy a push if you want, but nobody is going to be a star with Little, Cribbs and Massaquoi as their targets.
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

While it's true that the Browns need help at WR, they'd be foolish to take Justin Blackmon at #4. RB Trent Richardson is a better prospect, and also plays at a position of need for Cleveland. In fact, some question whether Blackmon is a better WR prospect than Michael Floyd. Floyd is bigger, faster, and a better blocker. Besides, Blackmon would certainly be available at pick #6. So...if he's the guy they want...doesn't it make sense to trade down to #6 with St. Louis, who badly wants Richardson? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Is this an actual rumor or just fan speculation?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I wouldn't waist the draft pick on him....Pats don't need a RB, they need defense & o-line/recievers to groom

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Is this an actual rumor or just fan speculation?
    Posted by AyyyBoston[/QUOTE]

It's a little bit of both. This from SI's Peter King:
    Jeff Fisher loves Trent Richardson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Alabama running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Steve Jackson if this happens. I don't see them paying Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. And that big number takes some logical teams (Steelers, Giants) out of the running for Jackson. Now, I view this scenario as unlikely anyway, because the Rams simply have to get receiver help for Sam Bradford. But if Justin Blackmon is gone here and Richardson's still there, he's logical for the Rams. Of course, Cleveland likes Richardson a lot, and rookie Tampa coach Greg Schiano does too, so I don't see Richardson making it to six.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.
    html#ixzz1sEBml29I

And there's this: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/rams_and_eagles_among
    _about_fo.html
    ; and this: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/trent_richardson_a_sure
    _thing.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Steven Jackson - RB - Rams Related: Vikings Apr 23 - 3:36 PM NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Monday's B.S. Report with Bill Simmons that Steven Jackson wants a new contract. S-Jax has base salaries of $7 million in 2012 and 2013. "The problem with Steven Jackson is he wants to redo his contract," Lombardi said. "He's not happy where he is. ... I would suspect that the Rams would (draft) the running back as quickly as they could." He was referring to Trent Richardson. Lombardi indicates that the Vikings are trying to bait the Rams to trade up to No. 3 to get Richardson. S-Jax, meanwhile, looks like a candidate to be traded on draft weekend.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Remember fellows ...I mentioned this on 4/15/12...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Here is my speculative touch....Jackson n Amendola to NE for Welker n a pick ...thoughts?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Here is my speculative touch....Jackson n Amendola to NE for Welker n a pick ...thoughts?
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

stop smoking

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

It's not happening! I'll remember I heard it first from you when I'm laughingg over it This weekend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

He would not come cheap and the pats are not going to pay big money for a old back. Plus we passed on him in the draft years ago for wilfork

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

I'm just not sold on BB going with 2 unproven rbs ...I do believe we will add a veteran RB who is better than the Law Firm...I do feel strongly about this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

i wouldn't waste a pick on him. he's getting too old and isn't corey dillon. they should use their picks on defense, defense and more defense, then maybe a wr to develop.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

An unhappy Jackson at 7M plus a draft pick when they could have had Bush at half that with better upside? As far as we know they never even talked to Bush. Nope - not going to happen.