Steven Jackson will not be coming to the Patriots!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Steven Jackson will not be coming to the Patriots!

Just heard an interview with Steven Jackson, very interesting interview. Since being in the NFL he has not had a winning season.  Has not won 9 games!  So you would think he would take less money/less playing time to go to a winning team.  No Way. The guy doesn't want to share time, he wants to be the main focus and get 20+ carries a game.

With him not wanting share the work load and wants 20+ carries that probably rules him out as a Patriots.  But what if, just what if he came in and they built the offense to include a featured back like him?  He has a few years left in him.  Big, strong guy and can pick up the blitz.  I would really like this!!  More run game with a legit runner is exactly what this offense needs since it doesn;t look like any big time deep threats are going to be an option for the team.  Keep Lloyd, and hopefully keep Welker and sign Jackson.  This would be a big change for the better, imo.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Re: Steven Jackson will not be coming to the Patriots!

Interesting, love his game but not sure the pats would do that, I believe they are happy with Ridley and vereen as their potential running backs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I like Ridley and Vareen but Jackson is the kind of runner we had on our superbowl winning teams. I also want to see how Ridley will run after getting knocked the ......... out in that game near the end of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:

Interesting, love his game but not sure the pats would do that, I believe they are happy with Ridley and vereen as their potential running backs. 

I think they are happy with the current crop of RB's too.  But so many people here want the Pats to have more of a running game and I have always liked the bigger backs.  The more I think of it the more I really would like Jackson to come in and be the featured back for a couple years.  Just let him pound the ball for 20-25 carries a game.  Man, as much as I love the passing game, the thought of pairing Jackson in the offense running the ball just makes me drool! 

Let's have some fun and just play with this idea for a while... If he did come to NE which back(s) would you let go?  Would you try and move Vereen into the slot spot with Welker or whoever is in that position?  What would you do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

found this on a blog from the fall of last year...........................interesting thoughts

Jackson, 29, already knows the Patriots' offense. He played in New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels' offense last season. The Rams' 2011 season did not go as planned, but Jackson did like the way McDaniels' offense could, at its best, feature him as more than just a power runner. He was looking forward to running routes normally reserved for wideouts.

"That’s definitely part of my game that I've been missing the last couple of seasons," Jackson told reporters before the 2011 season. "I'm looking forward to having that challenge, proving to the rest of the league that I’m more than just a downhill, first- and second-down kind of running back. I think if anyone could help me re-establish myself as a franchise back, an all-around back, I think Josh will do that."

As noted, Belichick likes that part of Jackson's game as well.

"He has the quickness to be elusive on the second level, avoid guys, and he’s also got the power to put his shoulder down and run through guys," Belichick told reporters covering the Patriots this week. "He's a hard guy to tackle. As I said, his production in the passing game is very good too. Not just screens, but actual route running, going out there, getting open, beating linebackers and he’s a great target for the quarterback to throw to."

Belichick said he spent a full day with Jackson before the 2004 draft. The two got together in Las Vegas, where Jackson played high school football. Belichick said that was more convenient at the time than meeting at Oregon State, where Jackson played in college.

"He's a very impressive individual," Belichick said. "Obviously a big, strong kid that runs well, that catches the ball very well, very good in the passing game; I think he’s probably a little underrated in that area. Good in blitz pickup, smart guy, he’s really had an outstanding career. He definitely was a guy that we were very much interested in."

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to raptor64d's comment:

I like Ridley and Vareen but Jackson is the kind of runner we had on our superbowl winning teams. I also want to see how Ridley will run after getting knocked the ......... out in that game near the end of the season.

You mean like Antwoain Smith who won two SB's with us? I'd say Ridley was at least as good as Smith was if not better.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like Jackson, but he wants welker type money...tfb12, you ready to let your guy walk to sign Jackson?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

found this on a blog from the fall of last year...........................interesting thoughts

Jackson, 29, already knows the Patriots' offense. He played in New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels' offense last season. The Rams' 2011 season did not go as planned, but Jackson did like the way McDaniels' offense could, at its best, feature him as more than just a power runner. He was looking forward to running routes normally reserved for wideouts.

"That’s definitely part of my game that I've been missing the last couple of seasons," Jackson told reporters before the 2011 season. "I'm looking forward to having that challenge, proving to the rest of the league that I’m more than just a downhill, first- and second-down kind of running back. I think if anyone could help me re-establish myself as a franchise back, an all-around back, I think Josh will do that."

As noted, Belichick likes that part of Jackson's game as well.

"He has the quickness to be elusive on the second level, avoid guys, and he’s also got the power to put his shoulder down and run through guys," Belichick told reporters covering the Patriots this week. "He's a hard guy to tackle. As I said, his production in the passing game is very good too. Not just screens, but actual route running, going out there, getting open, beating linebackers and he’s a great target for the quarterback to throw to."

Belichick said he spent a full day with Jackson before the 2004 draft. The two got together in Las Vegas, where Jackson played high school football. Belichick said that was more convenient at the time than meeting at Oregon State, where Jackson played in college.

"He's a very impressive individual," Belichick said. "Obviously a big, strong kid that runs well, that catches the ball very well, very good in the passing game; I think he’s probably a little underrated in that area. Good in blitz pickup, smart guy, he’s really had an outstanding career. He definitely was a guy that we were very much interested in."

We drafted Vince W at 21 and Jackson went at 24. BB passed on him. I think BB got value at 21. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What was the last team with a big featured back that won a title?  Balt no, NYG no, GBay no, NOrl no, Pitt no, NYG no, Indy no, Pit no, Pats yes! So you only have to go back nine years.

The majority of these teams were below average running the ball. Some were good defensively, some average, some indifferent. They all had really good QB play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

What was the last team with a big featured back that won a title?  Balt no, NYG no, GBay no, NOrl no, Pitt no, NYG no, Indy no, Pit no, Pats yes! So you only have to go back nine years.

The majority of these teams were below average running the ball. Some were good defensively, some average, some indifferent. They all had really good QB play.

Those teams all had deep threats too!  So here is the thing.  You don't need a featured back if you have some deep threats to spread the defense out.  If you don't have a deep threat and you use average running backs then you are not going to have much success running the ball since the defense can play tight, up close.  So no deep threat, bring in a big power runner like Jackson.  If The Pats get a deep threat then the Pats current crop of RB's will work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Those teams all had deep threats too!  So here is the thing.  You don't need a featured back if you have some deep threats to spread the defense out.  If you don't have a deep threat and you use average running backs then you are not going to have much success running the ball since the defense can play tight, up close.  So no deep threat, bring in a big power runner like Jackson.  If The Pats get a deep threat then the Pats current crop of RB's will work.

Yeah, I guess they all had a number of better than average receivers, except maybe the '07 Giants and the '05 Steelers.  I don't think the Pats receivers were below average (other than Branch), but they aren't the same offense without Gronk. I think they have a sufficient passing attack so that teams can't stack the box, if that's where you're coming from. 

Sections
Shortcuts