Steven Riddley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Steven Riddley

In response to jjbag's comment:

In response to Brad34's comment:

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Faulk was a fumbler early on also. It can be fixed, though it may cost some games waiting for it to be fixed. It's not like Vereen looked all world tonight and did Bolden even play? He looked like he got hurt last week.

he may have fumbled at times but not at important times, give me just 1 example where Faulk fumbled in a big game (if you dont thing this was a big game your smoking crack) or where he fumbled more than 1 time in a game that was this big??????????????

I think he dropped a punt in Denver during the playoff loss in Jan 2006.

You can't "Think" you have to prove. but really, 1 dropped punt is nothing compared to what ridley has managed in 2 years. Sorry i do like how he runs i dont like how he cannot protect the ball. He has to go. I would rather an 800 yard runner who doesnt fumble than a 1500 yard player who fumbles the ball consistently. And yes in december if you do it 2 years in a row its consistently.

Hmmm, this reminds me of somebody but I can't remember who?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Faulk was a fumbler early on also. It can be fixed, though it may cost some games waiting for it to be fixed. It's not like Vereen looked all world tonight and did Bolden even play? He looked like he got hurt last week.

he may have fumbled at times but not at important times, give me just 1 example where Faulk fumbled in a big game (if you dont thing this was a big game your smoking crack) or where he fumbled more than 1 time in a game that was this big??????????????

You can't "Think" you have to prove. but really, 1 dropped punt is nothing compared to what ridley has managed in 2 years. Sorry i do like how he runs i dont like how he cannot protect the ball. He has to go. I would rather an 800 yard runner who doesnt fumble than a 1500 yard player who fumbles the ball consistently. And yes in december if you do it 2 years in a row its consistently.

BJGE has actually fumbled it 3 times this year believe it or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Yeah, I know.  Very uncharacterstic of him.  I was just bringing to light the argument against  Benny last year.  Most would undervalue his assets of ball security and would claim we need an explosive back who defenses need to gameplan for but now that we have that back in Ridley, he's been prone to fumble and now all of a sudden we want a decent back who doesn't fumble.  I just thought it was ironic.

However, backs fumble.  Ridley is right there among the league average in fumbling per carry.  He'll be fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just hold on a cotton pickin' minute here. The one fumble he lost tonight was a helmet hit on the ball. Those fluky things happen but it doesn't make a guy fumble prone.

His two fumbles lost are right in line with the norm of the top 12 in rushing attempts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Adrian Peterson fumbled it twice in the NFC Championship game...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Before tonight's game....

Faulk career - 52 possessions per fumble.

Ridley career - 85 possessions per fumble.

Falk was a terrible fumbler the first half of his career. I used to scream for him to be cut he was so bad.  I used to cringe every time he touched the ball (running). Then he got it together and I loved the guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ridley knows he cant fumble or he will be back in the doghouse like he was in the playoffs last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Yeah, I know.  Very uncharacterstic of him.  I was just bringing to light the argument against  Benny last year.  Most would undervalue his assets of ball security and would claim we need an explosive back who defenses need to gameplan for but now that we have that back in Ridley, he's been prone to fumble and now all of a sudden we want a decent back who doesn't fumble.  I just thought it was ironic.

However, backs fumble.  Ridley is right there among the league average in fumbling per carry.  He'll be fine.

Ridley stunk tonight, no doubt about it but you don't abandon the run game completely because of a few fumbles. You can't run Woodhead 20 times a game in my opinion. Woodhead was a stud tonight but he's better catching the ball and as a change of pace. Ridley has made the offense better this year and to win the super bowl they are going to need an everydown back who can break runs. ridley's fumble was on a pretty good run actually, it's too bad that this is happening now but no one is going to feel sorry for them so they will have to overcome. The Dennard injury may be a much bigger worry going forward than Ridley and Vareen's fumbles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Ridley stunk tonight, no doubt about it but you don't abandon the run game completely because of a few fumbles. You can't run Woodhead 20 times a game in my opinion. Woodhead was a stud tonight but he's better catching the ball and as a change of pace. Ridley has made the offense better this year and to win the super bowl they are going to need an everydown back who can break runs. ridley's fumble was on a pretty good run actually, it's too bad that this is happening now but no one is going to feel sorry for them so they will have to overcome. The Dennard injury may be a much bigger worry going forward than Ridley and Vareen's fumbles.

Agree on everything you said.  I think it'd be a big mistake if BB didn't start Ridley next week.  No need to shoot his confidence down even more.  We're going to need him in the playoffs, especially against tough d's who can stymie our passing offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Change that man's name to Steven Ritalin because his focus of holding on to the ball is lacking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

absurd overeactions. yes, he really hurt the team tonight, but he is also the same lead running back who has rushed for 1100 yards (7th in the league) and 10 TDs (tied for 2nd) and averaged 4.4 plus yards per carry. i believe he's now fumbled 4 times and lost 2 fumbles this season and has carried the ball over 250 times. Clearly he has to do a better job of holding onto the ball as his fumbles in consecutive games last year (including the one he lost in the playoffs) are still on people's minds, but the exact wrong thing to do would be to pull him off the field. Having Woodhead sent into the game I'm sure delivered the intended message.

After being reminded of his responsibilities repeatedly over this next week he should be fed the ball early and often for the next two games. this is a young kid in his first full season and growing pains can be expected. it's not a new issue, but it's also not at the point where he needs to be shipped out of town. 

not sure shane vereen is an every down back, but even if he is, though he'sshown flashes he's only carried the ball 69 times in his nfl career and need we forget he also lost the ball against s. fran. not sure you want to go into the playoffs relying on him to carry the load. as for bolden - definitely a stong back, but he has a total of 45 nfl carries and will have missed a chunk of the season he couldm ill afford to miss. seems a little unproven to be depended on for major work at this point. woodhead is great in his role, but he is simply to small to carry the ball 20-plus times a game. he would never last through an entire nfl season. not sure h'ed even make it through a playoff game let alone a full playoff run

as an aside, kevin faulk fumbled 7 times (losing 4) in his first 27 regular season games in only 237 carries (he also fumbled 2x after catches and lost both of those). again, ridley has fumbled 5 times, losing 2 in his first 30 regular season games (and also lost one in the playoffs), while carrying the ball 339 times. better numbers than faulk. 

with all that said, patriots backs are expected not to fumble and if he keeps having these kinds of problems he'll find his playing time cut drastically and may eventually fumble his way out of town. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

He has four fumbles only two lost on the season (the same numbers as Adrian Peterson by the way).

If anything I think the opposite. The Patriots freak out and stop giving the guy the ball after a fumble to an extreme not seen elsewhere in the NFL. Vereen fumbled and I am not sure that he saw the field again. 

This idea that I fumble is somehow worse than a pick is baffling to me. Keep giving him the ball. Ridley is one of the reasons this team is 10-4 and a division winner. He is not part of the problem.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

want law firm back

Steve "get" Riddley is #7 in rushing BJGE is #8 and 0 fumbles

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Kevin Faulk had fumbling issues early in his career and overcame it. Hopefully ridley can too

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

He has four fumbles only two lost on the season (the same numbers as Adrian Peterson by the way).

If anything I think the opposite. The Patriots freak out and stop giving the guy the ball after a fumble to an extreme not seen elsewhere in the NFL. Vereen fumbled and I am not sure that he saw the field again. 

This idea that I fumble is somehow worse than a pick is baffling to me. Keep giving him the ball. Ridley is one of the reasons this team is 10-4 and a division winner. He is not part of the problem.

Fumbling is also like INT's that they can be minimized dramatically by falling down instead of turning your back to the opposition and thinking you can push your way through.  All you're doing in that instance is holding yourself up as a target for defenders streaking from across the field to lay their helmet on the ball.  He has to know when to go down and when to keep running, say what you want about Law Firm but he never fumbled...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Wow, for someone who has been watching the Pats for so long, you have a short memory.

I remember a time when everyone was saying "Faulk must go, he can't hang on to the ball". He ended his career as one of the most dependable Patriots of all time... This is Ridley's first year as feature back, I think he'll be fine in the long run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Brady gave it up twice...should we bench him too? Put away the panic buttons folks...Ridley is fine. These over-reactions are comical.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Ridley:  2.6 ypc, fumble and zero first downs, 0 TD

Woody: 5.1 ypc, 6 first downs, 2 TD's

Brady: 3.7 ypc,  2 first downs, 1 TD.

One of these is going the wrong way.

Any questions?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Ridley:  2.6 ypc, fumble and zero first downs, 0 TD

Woody: 5.1 ypc, 6 first downs, 2 TD's

Brady: 3.7 ypc,  2 first downs, 1 TD.

One of these is going the wrong way.

Any questions?

Was happy for Woodhead. Big heart !  I know many here on BDC don;t like him but he's reliable although I do agree for the Pats bot be sucessful Ridely must perform .  With that comes sucess for Woodhead. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

want law firm back

Steve "get" Riddley is #7 in rushing BJGE is #8 and 0 fumbles

Actually, Benny has something like 3 or 4 fumbles this year, around the same as Ridley.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Ridley had one turn over and Vereen had 1 which ties them with Brady for the night.

You can't turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win nor can you have a 13% third down effeciency rating and expect to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

He's been really bad for at least the last 3 games.  Then again Vereen had an oppertunity and blew it also tonight.

true. Where was Bolden?  I like Woody and everything, but I think a north-south runner would have been nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Ridley fumbling has been an issue since he was a rookie, there's nothing "knee jerk" about it...  I was the first one on BDC to tell you that Ridley was going to be a baller but he can't hold onto the ball... period.  Things like this end careers prematurely.

He's still young (as is Vereen).  Remember, Faulk had problems early in his career too. But, you're right, Ridley better get things straight during the next two games. Maybe it's too late and Bolden will get carries. Who knows what BB is thinking.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I admit I was fed up with Ridley last night but after sober reflection and remembering Kevin Faulk cough it up after converting a 3rd down against Denver in the playoffs,  he just needs more experience.  He'll be a great back for us.

Sections
Shortcuts