Still don't think Mallet is an adequate backup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Still don't think Mallet is an adequate backup

The guy sucks (that's for you TC).

Seriously though I haven't seen anything from the guy that even hints he has the ability to play QB at a 50% success rate in the NFL.  Kellen Moore, Detroit's #3, impressed me last night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: Still don't think Mallet is an adequate backup

I've heard people say to give him a chance with the 1's, but this guy has major inconsistency issues with his accuracy and moreso touch or lack thereof especially on short passes where he seems to be plain terrible.

I am not a fan of his at all. Every opportunity I've watched him get he just doesn't pass the eye test for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He throws a great 20-30 yard pass but he's not a short pass expert! So unless the Patriots can consistantly get him time to throw the ball 20 yards downfield he's not going to be very successful. Now we know why TT is still on the team. At least he can run the ball effectively!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

He makes the easy passes look much harder than they are. Sort of the Drew Bledsoe syndrome where he could chuck it deep but always missed on the easy flat routes. Thats what I remember most about Brady when he took over for # 11. That he was always accurate on the short easy throws which arent so easy for some. So I dont know if Mallet is that bad, but he cant run this offense with all the short passes we throw. He is still too inconsistent with this throws but atleast I have noticed improvement in his progressions and reading the defense and decision making. I would like to see if all that changes under pressure of a real game like we saw with Cassell but only if/when Brady just put up 50 and we are up 4 scores. I think the kid has was it takes but its troubling he is still missing the same easy throws after 3 years. I dont think u can do any better this late in the game unless u bringing back Testerverde who knows the offense. Just pray for Bradys health and some mop up duty for Mallet. The talent is def. there.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Bledsoe at his worst was a league ahead of Mallett. Mallett makes one wonder why the pats cut Brian Hoyer last year. Hoyer can actually move a team down the field. I would not be surprised at the 53 cut if the pats pick up a different QB

He makes the easy passes look much harder than they are. Sort of the Drew Bledsoe syndrome where he could chuck it deep but always missed on the easy flat routes. Thats what I remember most about Brady when he took over for # 11. That he was always accurate on the short easy throws which arent so easy for some. So I dont know if Mallet is that bad, but he cant run this offense with all the short passes we throw. He is still too inconsistent with this throws but atleast I have noticed improvement in his progressions and reading the defense and decision making. I would like to see if all that changes under pressure of a real game like we saw with Cassell but only if/when Brady just put up 50 and we are up 4 scores. I think the kid has was it takes but its troubling he is still missing the same easy throws after 3 years. I dont think u can do any better this late in the game unless u bringing back Testerverde who knows the offense. Just pray for Bradys health and some mop up duty for Mallet. The talent is def. there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

My view is except on those rare teams - 2001 Pats, 2012 49ers are the only ones I can think of - where the backup is actually a better player than the incumbent starter, it just doesn't matter.

The New England Patriots aren't contending for a championship this year with Mallett or Kellen Moore or Tim Tebow or anybody not named Tom Brady under center, period. The best you can hope for from your backup is, if the starter goes down for two or three games, they can win at least one or two of them so as not to fall out of contention.

That's basically the backup's value, because if Brady or a Stafford or a Manning or any of the usual suspects is out for an extended period, that team is pretty much done for the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The best young backup QB, I believe, is Brad Sorensen of San Diego

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Still better than Tebow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

First, nobody who plays QB was going to look good against the Lions last night, not the way the REST of the Pats played...

Second, he's got to play extended minutes with the other regulars to see how he looks, to develop some consistency with them...

Third...Let's all just can any talk of getting a #1 or #2 draft choice for him...that's a pipe dream, or the product of some GM having a serious Igobaine addiciton.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

My view is except on those rare teams - 2001 Pats, 2012 49ers are the only ones I can think of - where the backup is actually a better player than the incumbent starter, it just doesn't matter.

The New England Patriots aren't contending for a championship this year with Mallett or Kellen Moore or Tim Tebow or anybody not named Tom Brady under center, period. The best you can hope for from your backup is, if the starter goes down for two or three games, they can win at least one or two of them so as not to fall out of contention.

That's basically the backup's value, because if Brady or a Stafford or a Manning or any of the usual suspects is out for an extended period, that team is pretty much done for the year.

Agreed.

I have no idea why people get bunged up over the back up QB.

^^^^^ well BB the GM is bunged up enough to invest the 74th pick on the position.  So I guess it's a bit more important to me and the greatest GM of all times then it is to the fan boys out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen a QB overthrow a fullback in the flat, or a receiver five yards away since Bledsoe. And that's who he kind of reminds of a little anyway. Bledsoe used to hit those 20 yard outs in his sleep, but he'd go weeks overthrowing a wide open Kevin Turner two feet away from him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Mallet is entering his 3rd season and still looks like a nervous rookie (not even a self confident rookie). I do not mean that this is his actual value. I dont really know what that is. But he is a disappointment to date and this is year three.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I'm less concerned about him as a backup as I am about his potential as the heir apparent.  I don't see Brady being around beyond 2 more years.  Yeah, I know what he says about playing to 40 and beyond.

Even if TB were still playing at a high level in 2015 and wanted to continue I'd try to move him for other pieces.  But that would be contingent on having a QB I could turn to that would be able to "make all the throws".  

Sections
Shortcuts