Stoked About The D...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Stoked About The D...

Granted, the safeties are still having some problems - but the pick ups on D and the possibilities arising from a change in BBs schemes are summarized pretty well in this article. Last year, the offense improved by going back to using TEs for more than just blocking. The addition of some solid DLs will help mask our secondary probs. Can't wait for regular season games Laughing

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1360081&position=1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Stoked About The D...

Me two!

I hope...

Wright - Wilfork - Haynesworth - Carter

are our starting DL when the season starts. If so, it's gonna be trouble!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Or: Ellis-Wilfork-Haynesworth-Carter

And Moore has certainly shown us something with his quickness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

There's still and opportunity to improve at safety with cut downs coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

What is the record for the number of sacks in a season by one team?  Because i think we could beat that number this year.  I'm dead serious.

I think this team could average 5 per game for a season total of 80.  Easy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

The 1984 Bears had 72 sacks that season.  An NFL record.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

no one is going to have ten sacks! how would the team possible get to 80

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Stoked About The D...:
    [QUOTE]There's still and opportunity to improve at safety with cut downs coming.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]
    This is true, but even if we don't I think the Pats are in very good shape.  My fav part is what BB will do with Mayo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stoked About The D... : This is true, but even if we don't I think the Pats are in very good shape.  My fav part is what BB will do with Mayo
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I agree Bubba, Mayo was spectacular.  I hope this new role of him rushing the passer sticks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Considering how good our offense has been in the past, the D should have the opportunity this year to just pin it's ears back and get after the passer. They had the chance to do that last year, but couldn't get within shouting distance of the QB...leading to closer games than needed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Considering how good our offense has been in the past, the D should have the opportunity this year to just pin it's ears back and get after the passer. They had the chance to do that last year, but couldn't get within shouting distance of the QB...leading to closer games than needed.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

In the scenario where our offense sputters, I have more confidence that our D will have a better chance of getting off the field on 3rd and long situations and give the offense another opportunity. It'll be interesting to see if a better pass rush in the form of QB pressure will result in more INTs. I am hoping to see a ripple effect with both the LB corp and secondary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]no one is going to have ten sacks! how would the team possible get to 80
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, what the hell are you talking about?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stoked About The D... : I agree Bubba, Mayo was spectacular.  I hope this new role of him rushing the passer sticks.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Even if team start focusing on Mayo - I'm sure that BB will use him as a decoy and we'll get pressure from someone else.  BB is going to keep people guessing this year...lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

[QUOTE]The 1984 Bears had 72 sacks that season.  An NFL record.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

You mean the 85 Bears.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I agree with you guys, the sack count could be record type numbers but don't forget the other benefit.....stopping the run. If you make teams one dimensional and force them to throw........quick because of the rush the corners play will increase.

I've been saying this for a while.....Revis is good, that pass rush he had made him great. Now we get to sit back and watch McCourty go from good to great this year and have a better season than Revis!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Anyone know what is wrong with ex-BC Ron Brace?  No appearances in training camp work this pre-season.  Will he be cut?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think in an ideal world you'd like to provide a rush with as little amount of guys as possible. Last year they could send 6 guys and they wouldn't get there (it was amazing). Just by watching and hearing things from camp, we might be able to apply really decent pressure with just four guys..Carter, Haynesworth, Wilfork, and whoever they put on the right side. Barring injury, this could be a better defense than the ones that won all those super bowls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I think in an ideal world you'd like to provide a rush with as little amount of guys as possible. Last year they could send 6 guys and they wouldn't get there (it was amazing). Just by watching and hearing things from camp, we might be able to apply really decent pressure with just four guys..Carter, Haynesworth, Wilfork, and whoever they put on the right side. Barring injury, this could be a better defense than the ones that won all those super bowls.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you.  The beauty is that BB can have quite a few different looks this year vs. the last 3-4 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Stoked About The D...:
    [QUOTE]Granted, the safeties are still having some problems - but the pick ups on D and the possibilities arising from a change in BBs schemes are summarized pretty well in this article. Last year, the offense improved by going back to using TEs for more than just blocking. The addition of some solid DLs will help mask our secondary probs. Can't wait for regular season games http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1360081&position=1
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Yeah...the "D" looks good now, against two offensively challenged teams. But, we still have no idea if Albert Haynesworth will be a positive addition, though my gut feeling is that he will be. The secondary looks thin at safety, where Patrick Chung must begin to show at least adequate coverage skills. At CB, 33rd overall draft pick Ras-I Dowling has taken up where he left off in college...on the sidelines nursing yet another injury...and Darius Butler appears to be on his way to being released. 

As good as the "D" has looked so far, it's how it looks in January that counts:
    http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/donaldson_on_patriots_preseason_08-21-11_D5PS.2a4aa8c.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Stoked About The D... :      Yeah...the "D" looks good now, against two offensively challenged teams. But, we still have no idea if Albert Haynesworth will be a positive addition, though my gut feeling is that he will be. The secondary looks thin at safety, where Patrick Chung must begin to show at least adequate coverage skills. At CB, 33rd overall draft pick Ras-I Dowling has taken up where he left off in college...on the sidelines nursing yet another injury...and Darius Butler appears to be on his way to being released.       As good as the "D" has looked so far, it's how it looks in January that counts: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/donaldson_on_patriots_preseason_08-21-11_D5PS.2a4aa8c.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

That's the kewl thing is that Haynesworth hasn't even played yet. Besides, the question is whether we are in a better position defensively than the past several years. I would say yes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Stoked About The D... :      Yeah...the "D" looks good now, against two offensively challenged teams. But, we still have no idea if Albert Haynesworth will be a positive addition, though my gut feeling is that he will be. The secondary looks thin at safety, where Patrick Chung must begin to show at least adequate coverage skills. At CB, 33rd overall draft pick Ras-I Dowling has taken up where he left off in college...on the sidelines nursing yet another injury...and Darius Butler appears to be on his way to being released.       As good as the "D" has looked so far, it's how it looks in January that counts: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/donaldson_on_patriots_preseason_08-21-11_D5PS.2a4aa8c.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

is tampa offensively challenged? they supposedly have one of the better quarterbacks in the game and supposedly one of the best young coaches.
    i dont know if we'll face a more elusive quarterback than we did with those 2 for tampa.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

THIS IS WHAT MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS WERE CALLING FOR FOR A COUPLE YEARS

this is what myself and a few others were calling for for a couple years.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=bba70554b4af8340da255e2e9c7fe5d9&plckUserId=bba70554b4af8340da255e2e9c7fe5d9">
    GETTING THE PLAYERS who can pressure the quarterback and therefore defend the pass better.  the only thing thats been keeping us from a super bowl.

TILL NOW.....

to wit in one half of one game:

nine quarterback pressures, eight QB hits, two sacks (both by Mayo), one quarterback knockdown, one tackle for a loss, two holding penalties, and one false start. That’s a total of 24 in 28 offensive plays by the Buccaneers.

with injuries looks like we will need some mlb help.

and we may still need to be concerned about or change meriweather at safety.
    get ras i healthy and some experience so he can be the 3rd db out on the field as he can cover (defend passes), arrington can only be there to tackle at best.

Sections
Shortcuts