Stop benching Maroney!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

Stop benching Maroney!!

The Pats can't keep benching Maroney like this. Sure, he fumbles every once in a while, but I feel like he was really starting to hit his stride. Just look at the numbers...when he gets 15+ carries a game, he provides a legitimate threat in the running game to complement the passing game. You can't bench a RB every time he fumbles...look at Adrian Peterson! He has a fumble every once in a while, but the Vikings go right back to him and he always gives a better effort on the next carry. The constant benching is delaying Maroney's development...either stick with him or bench him completely, not this ridiculous flip-flopping!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Stop benching Maroney!!

Fumbling in the endzone is unacceptable, it cost the Pats the Colts game.  They have more options now with Morris and Taylor there.  You just can't put up mediocre numbers and blow crucial plays if you want to be a starter in the NFL.  Maybe he can turn things around, but we've heard that for the last five years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

2 steps forward, 1 step back = career.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I thought it was a TD because when the ball fell it fell straight down on the line when he was already past it. Bad luck but he does need to hag on to the ball and if he doesn't go in they had three more plays I think. Anyway in the end we did not need him in this one.

Go pats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

im a big Maroney supporter, but today he needed to be punished with benching. fumbling 3 times at the goalline this year is unnaceptable. he needs to value the ball more.  i agree he is running better and was doing Great until he fumbled and yes i believe he was over the goalline, but you still cant fumble there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

when will everyone finally agree he needs to leave NE, yes he's running better this year but he has too if he wants to get paid.  I don't think its a coincidence his best year is his contract year.
    Fumbles injuries, dancing around the line... it just goes on and on, enough with the he's coming around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Punished us all year, how bout the last 5. listen im sick n tired of hearing people go to bat for this guy. What has he evr done to deserve any support from anyone. Hes had plenty of touches, plenty of oppurtunities, support from the coaches/teamates. I cant stand bout his f'ein potential, how long do we have to suffer through this dirty underwear soup before we..rather anyone who thinks hes worth anything realizes, he is what he is! AD fumbles, you kidding me? Really, did you just say.. AD has rushed for almost 4500 yrds his first three seasons, not to mention almost 800 recyrds and 38td's. Ok he fumbles once in a while, that can be corrected, sukin at life cant! Phoney baloney is here for one reason and one only, pats didnt want to pay him the 2.1 mill they would have owed him, if the cut him. Blah blah "but hes running hard", Blah blah, "hes been doing better" your stickin up for Maroney, really? Chew on rocks n play in traffic, Phoney baloney doesnt have it. By the way my G/F came up with that, she nor I, am a student of the game, but even a gurl who just started watching bout 3yrs ago knows why he sux n why he'll never be anything different than what he is now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

They have been trying to replace this guy, but injuries to others backs has given him many reprieves. He's just a stop gap until...ahem...others get healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Stop benching Maroney!!:
    when will everyone finally agree he needs to leave NE, yes he's running better this year but he has too if he wants to get paid.  I don't think its a coincidence his best year is his contract year. Fumbles injuries, dancing around the line... it just goes on and on, enough with the he's coming around.
    Posted by Pats7393

I hear this a lot lately, but this year is not his final year.  He signed a 5 year contract when he was drafted in 2006.  He has one more season before he is a FA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Lets keep defending Mr.Potential. I'll take Freddy T or Morris any day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

ive been an avid maroney supporter all season long, but if BB thinks that he needs to be benched, then ill stand by that decision every time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

HE doesnt need to be benched, he needs to be Booted off this Team! I watched this guy in College and we were happy to see him come to the Pats, this isnt new for him to fumble, he had this problem his first 2 seasons too.
    The Maroney supporters, you people need to stop and look what he has done over the last 4 to 5 years. He is nothing more than a flop full of excuses.
    This man needs to be let go after this season, I am sure Bill B has seen enough to know its time to trade him off and get a young back in here that will produce.
    Pull your heads outta the sand and wake up, thsi should be his last year as a Patriot, thank Gawd! PLEASE DO NOT PLAY HIM IN THE PLAYOFFS, Taylor and Morris is what the Pats need for the playoffs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I want to hear more from the guy who would take Maroney over Adrian Peterson (who also fumbles a lot).

Where is that guy?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was busy watching Sammy Morris highlights. Now, what was I gonna say?...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

" every once in a while"  He fumbles EVERY WEEK!   should be called fumbleroney.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

3 fumbles on the goal-line this season. He's been Mr.Mediocre his whole career. I'd rather see Morris, Taylor, Faulk get the carries in the play-offs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Especially after the first drive, a very impressive drive indeed.  This guy has a concentration problem.  It was frustrating, but then Jax compounded it by going for 4th ans 2 at the their own 35...yeesh.  Otherwise, almost a flawless game. 

I still don't like the way Maroney runs, that shuffle step or whatever it is.  But, you know, FIRST drive of the game, you have to conscious of that (fumble) possibility.  To have that happen once again to him shows a concentration/focus issue.  Sorry bud, but in a playoff that could cost them. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Ehop14-The constant benching is delaying Maroney's development...either stick with him or bench him completely, not this ridiculous flip-flopping!!

Response-Delaying his development? Running backs come into this league and usually perform to their "Potential" by the end of their first season. Maroney has reached his "Potential" and there isn't a whole lot to stifle by benching him at this point.
    I haven't seen this much "Potential" wasted since the acting talent of Arnold Ziffel when they took Green Acres off the air.
    It's just a shame

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

BB has said before that once a player fumbles, the opposing team will attack the ball relentlessly every time that player has the ball.  I suspect BB benched Maroney because he thought the Jags would be attacking the ball every time Maroney had it, which would have increased the chance of additional fumbles. The benching probably was punishment as well, but I think BB's main goal was to reduce the risk of additional fumbles caused by the Jags' attacking the ball more aggressively when Maroney held it.

Maroney is running well . . . I'm not giving up on him . . . but they need to work with him on holding the ball in traffic.  I wonder if his arm strength is sufficient . . . he seems to have smallish arms and shoulders for a running back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Wendylee, He funmbled once in his first 388 carries. I dont call that a problem. This season yes it is a problem. Does anyone remember the media and fans trying to run Faulk out of town for his early fumbling? How did that workout for us?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I would like to know where is the love for this guy coming from?  what is it based on?  How long are you willing to wait for production out of one player? 
    Cara you are right he has one more year left on his contract, $825,000 for 2010

hope he is traded this offseason

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3642

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

i like maroney but there was no reason to not sit him.... morris rushed really well and they got taylor some time in the 4th quarter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Reb no reason to sit him?  how many scores does he have to cost the team before there's a reason to bench him?  Good thing the D got the stop and it didn't cost us any points for the Jags.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

posted at 12/28/2009 8:43 AM EST

First: 10/5/2008
    Last: 12/28/2009
    BB has said before that once a player fumbles, the opposing team will attack the ball relentlessly every time that player has the ball.  I suspect BB benched Maroney because he thought the Jags would be attacking the ball every time Maroney had it, which would have increased the chance of additional fumbles. The benching probably was punishment as well, but I think BB's main goal was to reduce the risk of additional fumbles caused by the Jags' attacking the ball more aggressively when Maroney held it.

Maroney is running well . . . I'm not giving up on him . . . but they need to work with him on holding the ball in traffic.  I wonder if his arm strength is sufficient . . . he seems to have smallish arms and shoulders for a running back.

LOL... So your not giving up on Maloney just yet????
    Good thing you were not on the Titanic when it sank, you would still be there saying this Ship wont ever sink, trust me!

Just a hint for you..... Maroney after 5 years Stinks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Where is Wozzy?  He once asked the Maroney haters to bite him.  Well here they are.

Sections
Shortcuts