Stop complaining about the D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Stop complaining about the D

J. Cunningham
    There are issues but be realistic
    hamstring (Doubtful)
    DNP
    K. Arringtonfoot (questionable)
    P. Chungfoot (questionable)
    DNP
    D. Fletcherthumb (questionable)
    DNP

D. McCourtyshoulder (questionable)
    M. Slatershoulder (questionable) DNP
    B. Spikesknee (questionable)
    DNP
    S. Vereenhamstring (questionable)
     DNP

And that Edleman Underwood and Slater are the back ups and some time starters on D.
    That Nate Jones has played 3 games this year one with Miami.
    Niko Koutouvides has played 4 games.
    That J. Ihedigbo is obviously playing with a very sore shoulder.

As for giving up lots of run yards it happens when you are missing your starting DBs and the replacements need to play off the WRs.

So they are mssing several integral parts and still winning with the bend but don't break D.

It could be a whole lot worse...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Stop complaining about the D

I think part of the problem is that there's a good chance that none of the players you listed would make much of a difference, because they're not difference makers. That's the fundamental problem - we've missed on too many 2nd round picks and it's noticeable on the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ugh, hard to believe it COULD be worse, but you are right, they are playing gutsy football now...i dont know many teams who could plug in two WR's into the secondary and still win..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

If your point is that this defense has personnel issues I totally I agree. I do not accept that it is due to injuries. They miss Chung, but his strength is not actually pass coverage. Cunningham does not have enough of a resume to assume you are missing anything. Not sure why you have Slater listed at a DNP since he was out there plenty today. 

I refuse to accept they are winning with the bend but don't break defense. They are winning because the offense. Specifically, Brady, Gronk and Welker are each the best or in the top two or three at their positions. This team wins despite the defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Sorry Jim that is so false.  The ONLY starter there missing in the backfield is Chung.  You really think he makes that much of a difference your crazy.  Mccourty has been aweful all year, even when healthy. 

Slater and Edleman are not backups there all that is left!!! They just got rid of S Moore, they already got rid of Meriweather, Page, and Sanders.  Sergio Brown is soooo bad they have to use WR's instead and that Igheboio or whatever is plan terrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Stop complaining about the D:
    [QUOTE]I think part of the problem is that there's a good chance that none of the players you listed would make much of a difference, because they're not difference makers. That's the fundamental problem - we've missed on too many 2nd round picks and it's noticeable on the field.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

That is reality. People are dellusional if they think Chung and Spike are some game changers. Chung will make the biggest impact but nothing major. People run to the injury excuse when it's not even big impact players....because they dont' exist on the roster. Then you have kool aid sippers like Rusty trying to tell me I'm wrong and talent isn't the issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

That looks a lot like a roster cut down list.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gwomlo. Show gwomlo's posts

Some fans aren't as optimistic when the defense is the worst in the league, and maybe the worst over a two year period. Many of us still remember players like Rodney, Ty, Asante, and Lawyer who could cover receivers and make them pay if they did catch a ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]Some fans aren't as optimistic when the defense is the worst in the league, and maybe the worst over a two year period. Many of us still remember players like Rodney, Ty, Asante, and Lawyer who could cover receivers and make them pay if they did catch a ball.
    Posted by gwomlo[/QUOTE]
    I remember all those guys... And I remember them well. But it does nobody anygood to dwell on them and complain. They aren't here anymore. Time for us to get that through our heads.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

You:  "Stop complaining about the D!"

Me:  No.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

As bad as the defense is (according to many posters here)  we keep winning games.  Other teams must be giving us sympathy wins.  Yes, it was bad out there today.  Here is what no one has mentioned-

Grossman put up nearly identical numbers against a a bunch of teams.  Here is the year for him:

So, not the worst QB in the league.  Our defense did about as well as a few of the others.  Yards, TDs, Completion percentage, very similar.  Only thing worse against us was average yards.  Only the Giants gave up more.

Seriously people, we played two WRs out there.  It was not as good as it should have been, but we survived.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

"That secondary is probably the worst secondary I’ve seen in the last decade." Rodney Harrison on the secondary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

I'll take the W, but this defense is freakin' terrible.

As other posters have pointed out, part of the reason the secondary is so bad is because the Pats have wiffed on so many high secondary round picks (especially at CB) in recent years that guys like Edelman and Slater ar now being pressed into service. And Ras I, a high round draft pick who has been injury plagued at every level he's played out, lasted about 6 games.  Big surprise.

And what's the excuse for that pathetic defensive performance against the run today?  The D line is supposed to be the strength of this team, and they were consistently gashed all day, especially when the Redskins ran left.

This team needed both an offensive pass interference call and a freak interception on the last series to eke out a shootout (a shootout?!) win against a team with one of the worst scoring offenses in football.  That's really pushing it on "bend but don't break."  They showed the stats during the game today, this D is dead last in just about every defensive category except points allowed.  The glaring weaknesses in this defense are obvious to  any objective observer. Freakin' Rex Grossman was picking them apart.  I don't for a second buy the argument that points allowed is the the only defensive stat that matters.  

This team has had a bad defense for several years now.  Yes, they have a puncher's chance in the playoffs, but unless we see dramatic improvement, this team is good for maybe one playoff win. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]I'll take the W, but this defense is freakin' terrible. As other posters have pointed out, part of the reason the secondary is so bad is because the Pats have wiffed on so many high secondary round picks (especially at CB) in recent years that guys like Edelman and Slater ar now being pressed into service. And Ras I, a high round draft pick who has been injury plagued at every level he's played out, lasted about 6 games.  Big surprise. And what's the excuse for that pathetic defensive performance against the run today?  The D line is supposed to be the strength of this team, and they were consistently gashed all day, especially when the Redskins ran left. This team needed both an offensive pass interference call and a freak interception on the last series to eke out a shootout (a shootout?!) win against a team with one of the worst scoring offenses in football.  That's really pushing it on "bend but don't break."  They showed the stats during the game today, this D is dead last in just about every defensive category except points allowed.  The glaring weaknesses in this defense are obvious to  any objective observer. Freakin' Rex Grossman was picking them apart.  I don't for a second buy the argument that points allowed is the the only defensive stat that matters.   This team has had a bad defense for several years now.  Yes, they have a puncher's chance in the playoffs, but unless we see dramatic improvement, this team is good for maybe one playoff win. 
    Posted by Norger[/QUOTE]

I didn't see consistantly gashed.  I saw stoned the run dead, until the 2nd half, when the emphasis was shifted on defending the pass.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Amen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

A good point from PFT

The Patriots defense was bailed out at the end, but it shouldn’t have got that far. They actually forced two punts in the fourth quarter with a seven point lead. Tom Brady and the Patriots offense failed to score after both stops, resulting in one pissed off offensive coordinator

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

D line is good Backers are good Dbs are herrendous If we fix secondary just to not give up huge plays we will go to indy in feb

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rodney Harrison just threw the pats secondary under the bus. 

Worst secondary in 10 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Christopher Price   @ capeleaguer 8 mins Details "That secondary is probably the worst secondary I’ve seen in the last decade." Rodney Harrison on the  # Patriots secondary.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    He just repeated it in the half time show on NBC plus add the comment made by Coach Dungy when he said Brady may be feeling the pressure he has to lead the O to score as the D can't be counted upon to keep the other team out of the end zone.  Seems every time the Pats score, their D gives up a 75 - 80 yards drive to the other team for a score.  D is rarely giving him any breathing room.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stop complaining about the D : I didn't see consistantly gashed.  I saw stoned the run dead, until the 2nd half, when the emphasis was shifted on defending the pass.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Not sure what game were you watching. The Redskins ran for 170 yards at 5ypc. If the pats were concentrating on stopping the pass in the second half than they really sucked today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]As bad as the defense is (according to many posters here)  we keep winning games.  Other teams must be giving us sympathy wins.  Yes, it was bad out there today.  Here is what no one has mentioned- Grossman put up nearly identical numbers against a a bunch of teams.  Here is the year for him: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4480/rex-grossman So, not the worst QB in the league.  Our defense did about as well as a few of the others.  Yards, TDs, Completion percentage, very similar.  Only thing worse against us was average yards.  Only the Giants gave up more. Seriously people, we played two WRs out there.  It was not as good as it should have been, but we survived.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]
    No chance of winning in the playoffs with this D it's the f%%%kin washington redskins 4-9. Don't get trick by playing these junk teams this last month.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Rodney Harrison just threw the pats secondary under the bus.  Worst secondary in 10 years.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

And all this time I thought that the D was Peyton's excuse for loosing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stop complaining about the D : And all this time I thought that the D was Peyton's excuse for loosing.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]
    Pezz - You've really got to stop following me around. The obsession really isn't healthy.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stop complaining about the D : Pezz - You've really got to stop following me around. The obsession really isn't healthy.  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, it's not just you.  It's all the trolls.
    But......isn't your sole intention here, to get attention?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

lately, the broncos have been winning mostly w/ D....

Sections
Shortcuts