Stop saying we got Tom's replacement

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

Stop saying we got Tom's replacement

this guy only rated out at 82 which is not good for a QB I know you are going to say Tom rated at at 57, you can't think we are going to catch lighting in a bottle twice, and this guy has a weak arm at least Tom had a good arm coming out and they made him a system QB, put him on another team and things aren't the same for good old Tommy boy and I am a big fan of Tommy just stating the fax's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Stop saying we got Tom's replacement

Tom Brady Scouting Report: 

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Tom Brady didn't have that strong of an arm coming out of college

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I hear you but I'm just glad we got Brady's replacement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What I've read is his arm strength is above average. Not off the charts like Mallett, but somewhere between Montana and Brady.

Here's a report on Brady coming out of Michigan:

"Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to vegasredsox's comment:

this guy only rated out at 82 which is not good for a QB I know you are going to say Tom rated at at 57, you can't think we are going to catch lighting in a bottle twice, and this guy has a weak arm at least Tom had a good are coming out and they made him a system QB, put him on another team and things aren't the same for good old Tommy boy and I am a big fan off Tommy just stating the fax's

Last I knew Tom was considered generally weak and had a weak arm, not a good one, which is why he wasn't drafted till the 6th round! That was according to "The Brady Six" that just re-aired a few days ago! The only difference in the two scouting reports is that Garoppolo moves better and is much faster. Now that isn't to say he will be as good as Tom, but he does have a good chance of being the next starting QB for the Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Tom Brady Scouting Report: 

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Tom Brady didn't have that strong of an arm coming out of college

...guess we found the same article...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

We got Mallet's replacement. There. Feel better?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing I remember about Tom is that although his arm wasn't that strong, he could zip it with accuracy when he needed to. When Tom came out his legs were weak, supposedly they spent an entire off season building them up and it improved his arm strength heading into his second year here.

Tom's arm still doesn't have that effortless power that some guys have, but he can make all the throws and can fit that football into very tight spaces with accuracy and power when it's needed...I will say he looks like he is losing a little of that power and his accuracy was off a bit last year (I wonder if that might be because he was injured or because he really had to get behind that ball to power it and it effected his accuracy?).

The kid they drafted has a weird, almost side arm release...add that in with his pedestrian height and they may need him to change that. That is when all bets are off for a quarterback - changing throwing motion for these guys can really screw them up - tweaking it a little may be fine...I hope that's all he needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwtime. Show dwtime's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The thing I remember about Tom is that although his arm wasn't that strong, he could zip it with accuracy when he needed to. When Tom came out his legs were weak, supposedly they spent an entire off season building them up and it improved his arm strength heading into his second year here.

Tom's arm still doesn't have that effortless power that some guys have, but he can make all the throws and can fit that football into very tight spaces with accuracy and power when it's needed...I will say he looks like he is losing a little of that power and his accuracy was off a bit last year (I wonder if that might be because he was injured or because he really had to get behind that ball to power it and it effected his accuracy?).

The kid they drafted has a weird, almost side arm release...add that in with his pedestrian height and they may need him to change that. That is when all bets are off for a quarterback - changing throwing motion for these guys can really screw them up - tweaking it a little may be fine...I hope that's all he needs.

Almost side arm release?  Really?  Did you see film on this kid?  Did you see his combine throws?  He doesn't throw side are or anything near it, he has a quick release.  He went to the same school as Tony Romo, is the same height as Tony Romo and threw 32 more TD's than Tony Romo in college.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The kid has the intangibles in spades so I am told. Athletically he is sufficient. Has enough velocity and accuracy to play in our system. He struggles with the long ball, so what. He doesn't have mallett velocity or arm strength, but I will take his mental makeup (as being reported) vs off the chart athletic ability. If he can make the throws we need, has good decision making ability, we can teach the rest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

First, finding a TB replacement will be close to impossible. TB is considered a top 5 QB all time by almost everyone and some say top 2 and GOAT. So, good luck finding that again haha.

But in all seriousness, the quarterback position is the most important one in the game. Mallet is either going to be traded (looking bleak at the moment) or he will be cut (maybe?) or just play out this season and walk.

TB is 37/38 (?) next after this upcoming season. You don't want to draft a QB in 2015 and have him as the backup. Obviously taking a QB in the second round is a little irritating but if they like this kid, which they obviously do, then good. And don't gimme this he wasn't their #1 guy crap because they wanted Bortles. They did not miss out on Bortles then freak out and take Garappolo because they 'had to'. BB and Co. obviously wanted this kid.

So my point, get this kid a year in our system as the likely third QB (if Mallet stays) and then next season he will be the backup to an old Brady with a year knowing the offense. What if Brady has a hand thing worse than that of this season? you want some flier 6-7th rounder we took just to fill the depth chart? no. you want a QB that will come in know the O and run it right giving us a good chance to win a la Cassel 2008.

When it comes to the QB position, it's WAY better to SAFE than sorry. I hope they continue to pick QBs they like every 2-3 or so just in case the worst happens.

This kid may not be the next franchise QB or he might be the next TB who freaking knows. But, atleast we know we have a backup for the next 4 seasons in case we do get into a pinch. and if the next 2-3 years roll by and this kid sucks, screw it take another QB we like in the draft.

Like I said, when it comes to the most important position in football, its better to be safe than sorry.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to dwtime's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Almost side arm release?  Really?  Did you see film on this kid?  Did you see his combine throws?  He doesn't throw side are or anything near it, he has a quick release.  He went to the same school as Tony Romo, is the same height as Tony Romo and threw 32 more TD's than Tony Romo in college.

Yeah if you want to see his "almost side arm release", you can go to draftbreakdown.com, there is probably 60 plus minutes of his game tape there and his "almost side arm release". What you have to do is go to prospects, click on QBs, click on his videos, then click on any one of his games. Now when you're watching them you have to look at the screen and more importantly watch HIM THROW...you can't miss it...unless of course you're Stevie Wonder. Now if you are Stevie Wonder - big props man, love you - but you won't be able to see it. What you then can do is have someone read you any one of the 10 million scouting reports on this kid and they will also mention it there.

Hope this helps.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I read the scouting report on Garoppolo and it mentions he's got small hands (9 1/4). Everything I've read from the Pats' scouting perspective always emphasized trying to find QBs with larger hands to be more effective accuracy wise in colder climates / bad weather. Wonder how this will play out or if it's even something to be concerned about?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

I read the scouting report on Garoppolo and it mentions he's got small hands (9 1/4). Everything I've read from the Pats' scouting perspective always emphasized trying to find QBs with larger hands to be more effective accuracy wise in colder climates / bad weather. Wonder how this will play out or if it's even something to be concerned about?

Same size hands as Rodgers if it means anything haha

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Same size hands as Rodgers if it means anything haha

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hopefully it's a good omen. Thanks for the info.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Not only small hands but he lead the nation in fumbles as a QB (based on percent of times with the ball in his hands)  . . . . he is not Brady's replacement  . . . he is Malletts replacement and will carry a clipboard for 3/4 years and will be gone . . . Brady's replacement is still 2/3 years off!

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

First let me say - we got Tom's replacement.

Second let me say - we got Mallett's replacement.

Third let me say - JG is rated to have a strong arm and can make "all the throws". THis assessment was better than TB's arm strength when he came out.

Forth let me say - he sometimes throw sidearm when tossing it in a flat or bubble. Not typically for most of his throws. His mechanics are actually said to be very good and are part of the reason for his high degree of accuracy. ANd accuracy by the way is one of the few most reliable elements when predicting whether a college QB will be a successful starter in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If we got Tom's replacement it was a good pick, if we didn't, it was a bad one. Simple as that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We got Mallet's successor who may, one day, become Brady's successor.  I've been saying this for a while, but BB thinks (rightly) that back-up QB is a very important position.  He's got Mallet in that role for this year, but had no one groomed to take the role next year when Mallet is likely gone.

I doubt Mallet is traded (unless Grappolo shows an awful lot in camp and someone wants Mallet late in the summer or during the season).  I think the plan is to use Mallet as the back up this year and groom Grappolo to take over the back-up spot next year. It's that simple.  BB drafted the (potential) back-up QB for next year. Replacing Brady is still down the road . . . maybe not too far down the road, but it's not the primary focus with Grappolo now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've never thought the guy was Tom Brady's replacement.  There is no such thing.  This guy, however, may be Tom's successor.  However, before I reconcile him to the scrap heap of all the 'abysmal draft failures' that some seem to think BB has accumulated I'd like to see the kid play in a Pats uniform.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

anyone who spells facts "fax's" loses all credibility with me.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

anyone who spells facts "fax's" loses all credibility with me.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Be careful . . .  or somebody might start pointing out how many times you misspell possessives.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm

Here is something you might like to read.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

will root for him

If he makes the big play he will be liked

he is certainly not in 'tb's style of QB

Will not be surprised if we get another next year

I wanted Savage who went to Houston and we will find out about him pretty fast

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

Sections
Shortcuts