Strength of Schedule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Strength of Schedule

Ok, so I am a big believer in working through adversity and how it ties into building character.

When this schedule came out, obviously many felt it was a bear, which it is, but I also felt like if they could get into the post season, maybe somehow win the division by holding off Miami and NY, it would benefit them more so than hurt them.

During their SB years, they also had brutal schedules. In fact, maybe only 2008, did they have some kind of an easier schedule for the first time in years, if not since 2001.

What I am saying is, these tought match ups have done wonders for a very young D and an offense that was still finding itself.

Once the dust settled with the Moss situation and Branch settled in, this team has really jelled, but I think the wins against good teams or on the road in tough spots is a benefit to their overall goal, not a detriment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Strength of Schedule

Agreed. This schedule has toughened them up, both physically and mentally. In addition, they have the benefit of knowing that if they play their brand of football, they can beat the best teams in the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Definitely. They took on all comers and came out victorious. This young team can now be confident that if they prepare and practice well, they can beat any team put in front of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the best part is that these teams would be the teams that they will face throughout the playoffs and they have shown that they have beaten them in the regular season so they are capable of beating them in the post season if they just look at the tape and find every mistake and fix it.  I truely believe that if they play the way they played against the jets during the playoffs no team can beat them.  the teams we could play in the playoffs would be Pitt (not worried), colts (assuming they win their division), san diego (see colts)<- i would love to play sand diego in the razor., Baltimore (the one that worries me the most), the J.E.T.S. (maybe i really want this), jacksonville (Haven't played them but them in the snow seems like a good match up to bet on us), kansas city (good storyline, but i'm not too worried what did their coordinators do as head coaches?)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Regardless of our strength of schedule, who we have beaten so far and what good defenses we made look average, I still think the Pats are going to have their hands full with Indy, San Diego, Baltimore or Pitt. These are all tough teams, and nothing is given. We do stand a better chance because they will all have to come through Foxborough, but I think any of those teams can beat us, just as we beat them.

The last 2 weeks have made a lot forget about parity in this year's NFL. I still think it exists. The Pats have indeed seperated themselves, but I don't think the seperation is as great as the last 2 games would have us believe.

This is still anyone's year although some cream has risen to the top (Pats), while the shi!t continues to sludge to the bottom (Jests).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bonertown. Show Bonertown's posts

In Response to Re: Strength of Schedule:
    Regardless of our strength of schedule, who we have beaten so far and what good defenses we made look average, I still think the Pats are going to have their hands full with Indy, San Diego, Baltimore or Pitt. These are all tough teams, and nothing is given. We do stand a better chance because they will all have to come through Foxborough, but I think any of those teams can beat us, just as we beat them. The last 2 weeks have made a lot forget about parity in this year's NFL. I still think it exists. The Pats have indeed seperated themselves, but I don't think the seperation is as great as the last 2 games would have us believe. This is still anyone's year although some cream has risen to the top (Pats), while the shi!t continues to sludge to the bottom (Jests).
    Posted by PatsLifer

Based on how the games played out, I'm most concerned about San Diego and Baltimore. The Pats have always gashed Pitt when it counts.

/Assumes SD gets in
    //Prays Colts do not

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think that is a very good point. This New England team didn't really get tested as much last season, and when they were they failed. The loss of WW was huge, but I think they could have handled adversity like that better if they didn't have the slugs on the roster like Thomas, Burgess, and to a degree Moss and  if they had played some tougher teams more consistently.

This team this year is young and getting better. 

They have all sorts of energy and focus.

It bodes well.

As far as fearing someone in the AFC? I don't. NE already owned these teams. And they will own them again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

I juct can't see any of those teams coming to Foxboro -- particularly any first-round teams -- and winning.....particularly if the weather is crappy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think the this years strength of schedule has been a giodsend in preparing the patriots for a super bowl run. we have played some pretty good defenses.

THis was the SOS baseed on last years records:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21479/2010-strength-of-schedule

Currently the Patriots have 7 wins against above .500 teams, not too shabby 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Regardless of our strength of schedule, who we have beaten so far and what good defenses we made look average, I still think the Pats are going to have their hands full with Indy, San Diego, Baltimore or Pitt. These are all tough teams, and nothing is given. We do stand a better chance because they will all have to come through Foxborough, but I think any of those teams can beat us, just as we beat them. The last 2 weeks have made a lot forget about parity in this year's NFL. I still think it exists. The Pats have indeed seperated themselves, but I don't think the seperation is as great as the last 2 games would have us believe. This is still anyone's year although some cream has risen to the top (Pats), while the shi!t continues to sludge to the bottom (Jests).
    Posted by PatsLifer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Patslifer
    Agreed. This is a time for humility and gratefulness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Patslifer Agreed. This is a time for humility and gratefulness.
    Posted by NYC

Very true.........and anticipation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yep, I am not as concerned about Baltimore as I was in preseason. We have shown the formula to beat them, take away the run and make Flacco consistently get 1st downs with his arm. SD cannot beat us....they never could. Dark horse team to worry about is Pittsburgh. I know we throttled them for 3 quarters but a defense as good as they have is always a threat to win.

The Colts are done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm not as worried about a Colts team without Dallas Clark.  You can see how much Manning depends on him - it's just as bad as when Welker got hurt.  Plus they have a zombie/manequin coaching them.  And we'd be playing them at home in the cold weather.  As long as we build up a lead, I don't think Manning can come back as easily without his mainstay target.

I think the Chargers would be a challenge if their whole offense gets together, but it sounds like Antonio Gates is considering shutting down for the rest of the season because he's afraid overcompensating because of his plantar fascia (foot) would cause serious problems.  With their RBs, Gates, Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Legadu Nanee, and Phillip Rivers slinging it, those are tough matchups.  Their defense is still fast.

The Steelers and Ravens both play physical.  I think it would be a challenge to beat them twice in one season, although I kind of hope that the Ravens make it to Foxborough because of all their trash-talking and the loss last year.  It would be nice to exorcise those demons.

Don't sleep on the Chiefs - they control time of possession with their running game, they have just enough of a passing threat with Cassel and Bowe, and they have Crennel coaching up their defense.

I might be in the minority where I think it would be bad to see the Jets again.  They have decent personnel to match up, aside from Sanchez.  I also think this would mean they managed to overcome adversity and come together and frankly I'd rather see them fall apart completely.  They'd be tougher if they managed to beat the Steelers and/or Bears.  They'll unravel all the way into the offseason if they lose out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

All these teams s*ck.  Super Bowl won't even be a contest this year.  Wake me up in September.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Strength of schedule is sort of a monday-morning QB thing.  When the actual dates come out in April, the formula was already complete when the last game of the season previous is over!  There are no surprises who that Pats will face in 2011 (if the CBA maintains the same 16 game formula)

Home- NYJ, BUF, MIA, SD, OAK, DAL, NYG, JAX/IND
    Away- nyj, buf, mia, den, kc, phil, wash, pitt

The conclusions we can make in March won't be the same as it will be in June, and certainly won't be the same com next fall.  Teams change, players move on, injuries happen, drafts are unpredictable. 

In 2010, No one anticipated Indy to falter or Cincy to tank to 2-11.  You all thought the Raiders were a top 5 draft pick. Surprise 6-7!   Kansas City was 4-12 in 2009, now they are vying for a division.  St. Louis was 1-15 and now 6-7 and possibly winning a division (however weak it seems)

These things happen.  The Patriots gained a nice advantage the way their schedule turned out.  But lets not forget the NYJets have exactly the same 14 of 16 games on their schedule too. 

You play who you play each week. Somebody has to play Carolina and Denver every week. Are you a fake team because they are in your seasonal rotation or your division??  That's just juvenile.

Next stop: vs. Green Bay   Lets get #12!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Good post. The Pats are taking nothing for granted. Every week is a potential dog fight. The Pats seem to be preparing for each team like the opponents are going to have their game of the year against us.

For the last 3 games, it would be foolish for the Pats to ease up.

Go Pats!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

definately playing the might of the nfl for a young inexperienced team can only build character and confidence... we have steadily improved and I think that will continue going forward... maybe eric moore is the rusher everyone has been asking for... but D is not the pushover it was early..

there are only 3 or 4 teams on our level... new orleans, atlanta, pitt?? sd?? dolts??   SD could be the sleeper... but playing at home against any of these afc teams is an advantage .. lets finish out season on a high note and let the chips fall were they may  then let the real games begin...

Sections
Shortcuts