Strong Safety should be HIGHEST Priority in offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Strong Safety should be HIGHEST Priority in offseason

Is there really any debate on this? Does anyone want to go into next season with 3 CB's playing safety for us?

Everyone knows how I feel about the safety position and its importance to this defense. I feel the need was not properly adressed last offseason. Gregory and Wilson provided some good depth but neither of them are IDEAL strong safeties. McCourty, Wilson, Gregory ALL played Cb in college which may help them in coverage(not so much with Gregory) but they dont provide that INTIMIDATION factor that was sorely lacking last year. I thought the AFCCG played out the way I thought It would w/out Talib. Baltimores bigger Wrs were able to go up and fight for balls, go over the middle never fearing a big hit from anyone. Conversley our BIG linebackers who do HIT hard were not able to make an impact because they were covering and thats not their strength.  Some people think I made too much of this but to me its pretty obvious and glaring when u look around the league. Sure we need to get a BIG WR who can get open and fight for balls. Bigger lineman who can maul people instead of finesse blockers. MORE CB's!!!!! and a cover LB but with the right Safety on this team last year I believe we overcome everythng else.  Their WR's were able to go up and make plays with no fear and our one GUY Welker was so beat up that game, he was saying "no mas" by the 3rd quarter

I dont know much about the safeties coming out as I haven got to watch much college ball this year but I really dont believe a rookie can help at this point. We need a Vet who can pick things up.

There are a few intriging guys who I think are free agents and I suggest BB go for them. Ed Reed is a guy I talked about 2 months ago and If he doesnt get a ring and retire, BB will surely call but he is still a FS, all be it a better hitter than anyone we have , he is still a cover safety. Gregory is a SS but has a CB's body. This team could use Ed Reed to mentor McCourty but still needs a young SS for the next few year.

Maybe Atlanta will let William Moore walk. He is a BIG safety who can hit and has pretty decent range and makes plays when presented. This would be my 1st choice

Another guy I think would fit the bill is Kenny Phillips( I know from the U) but he has the size u want at the position, is fast and can hit. Problem is Health with him. He only played in 7 games last year but did play in 31 out of 32 games the 2 prior years. BB could do alot with this guy. Both he and Moore are a little over 6' and over 215 lbs.

The other guys I would like to see arent pure Intimidators but all around safeties who will still Hit you but can also excel in coverage.

Louis Delmas(great prospect coming out, started strong but has been injured lately making him a possible target on a prove it type contract)

Glover Quinn(nothing special but good agressive player that could help)

Tanard Jackson(young player with all the tools, can he be consistent?)

Dashon Goldson(try again?)

If all else fails and you HAVE to draft someone, Go get Matt Elam from Florida....

On defense, Matt Elam has been compared to Brian Dawkins (*drool*). A complete safety with elite instincts, he covers ground, plays center field and can match up with tight ends and running backs. Elam is good against the run, a physical hitter who flies to the football and blows up ball carriers (though his tackling can be erratic and is something I need to hone in on when I examine him more closely), while also showing flashes of being a dangerous blitzer and disruptive force in the backfield. Plays violently and toes the line, but can sometimes let emotions get the best of him. To that extent, my only real concern about Elam at the next level is his size and whether he'll be able to sustain his current style of play.

sounds like our guy. Bulk him up to 215 and let em' Head Hunt! lol

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Strong Safety should be HIGHEST Priority in offseason

In response to RockScully's comment:

Generally agree with Chung not working out, but what are you looking for in skill set?  I'd rather have another guy like McCOurty with range v.s. a traditional in the box SS.

I don't know enough about Moore to comment, but Goldson is also likely going to be released by SF with what he is due, which would make him a FA again.   Maybe BB ups the offer and he's the guy.

S, DE/DT, WR and OL are the top spots for me in FA and in the draft. 

The reason I would say no to another FS type because you HAVE  3 safeties who were former Cbs. We lacked Toughness in the back end and I dont want another hybrid/finess safety. Wilson will fill a role next year but Im not sold on him being a full time safety yet. I believe we need to get back to having a FS and SS like Rodney and Eugene. These last few years these "cover safeties have not shown up in postseason and had any effect. I almost miss James Sanders who was a solid tackler atleast. Goldson is anyones guess. Did he leave here because $$ wasnt right or just not a good fit??  Moore is a young Beast of a safety. Think Adrian Wilson type with less height. Im hoping Atlanta has too many pressing needs and cant retain him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think there is a huge debate on what's more important. For instance, without Gronk we had no larger receiver that could fight for a ball in traffic or fight off the line. Against Balt or WR's got the you know what kicked out of them at the line and then when they finally got free Brady had the tinest of windows to throw it in. Given they only scored 14 points you could argue a tough big receiver to can fight off DB's at the line and has a large catch radius is needed more

You can also make a case for an interior rusher. Throughout the year there was a stark difference with the secondary when the interior rush got to the QB and applied pressure. Int's, PD's, and incompletes all increased when pressure is applied and that was with Chung, Gregory, and Wilson in constant rotation all year. If that rotation was good enough with a pass rush but looked beyond bad without one it shows the difference when pressure is and isn't applied. There is one thing that is certain, no coverage will last forever if you can't get to the QB but a make shift coverage will succeed more than fail if the rush doesn't give the QB time to get set.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Generally agree with Chung not working out, but what are you looking for in skill set?  I'd rather have another guy like McCOurty with range v.s. a traditional in the box SS.

I don't know enough about Moore to comment, but Goldson is also likely going to be released by SF with what he is due, which would make him a FA again.   Maybe BB ups the offer and he's the guy.

The reason I would say no to another FS type because you HAVE  3 safeties who were former Cbs. We lacked Toughness in the back end and I dont want another hybrid/finess safety. Wilson will fill a role next year but Im not sold on him being a full time safety yet. I believe we need to get back to having a FS and SS like Rodney and Eugene. These last few years these "cover safeties have not shown up in postseason and had any effect. I almost miss James Sanders who was a solid tackler atleast. Goldson is anyones guess. Did he leave here because $$ wasnt right or just not a good fit??  Moore is a young Beast of a safety. Think Adrian Wilson type with less height. Im hoping Atlanta has too many pressing needs and cant retain him.

He felt SF was closer and the money was more in SF.  He just said this the other day when asked at media day.

I think the game has changed far too much to pretend a traditional SS and FS is what is needed. I'd rather have speed, range and tackling vs some muscle bound supposed intimidator.

Wilson and Rodney wouldn't work as well in this era as they did back then.  Just saying.

These hybrid, athletic TEs are all the rage and most LBs can't cover them so you need 1 if not 2 Safeties who can cover.  I don't want some lumbering SS who can only be effective in the box.

Chung was really only effective in the box and moving laterally.  Polamalu is no different. He'd make on nice play and then get toasted on the next.

Those kinds of old school SSs aren't really around anymore.

Wow, last year you were raving about Gregory and saying McCourty was an all pro CB. I was begging for free agent $$ to be spent on Golston or Webb and for Smith to be drafted, and you could only insult me, say I spelled Golston's name incorrectly, and say how could I even question the greatest GM in the history of the NFL, offering no viable comeback as usual...

Were you wrong yet again...but thats no surprise

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

He felt SF was closer and the money was more in SF.  He just said this the other day when asked at media day.

I think the game has changed far too much to pretend a traditional SS and FS is what is needed. I'd rather have speed, range and tackling vs some muscle bound supposed intimidator.

Wilson and Rodney wouldn't work as well in this era as they did back then.  Just saying.

These hybrid, athletic TEs are all the rage and most LBs can't cover them so you need 1 if not 2 Safeties who can cover.  I don't want some lumbering SS who can only be effective in the box.

Chung was really only effective in the box and moving laterally.  Polamalu is no different. He'd make on nice play and then get toasted on the next.

That's it in a nutshell.  The new rules against HTH contact etc, make it next to impossible to have an "intimidator".  Focus on talent above everything else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I think there is a huge debate on what's more important. For instance, without Gronk we had no larger receiver that could fight for a ball in traffic or fight off the line. Against Balt or WR's got the you know what kicked out of them at the line and then when they finally got free Brady had the tinest of windows to throw it in. Given they only scored 14 points you could argue a tough big receiver to can fight off DB's at the line and has a large catch radius is needed more

You can also make a case for an interior rusher. Throughout the year there was a stark difference with the secondary when the interior rush got to the QB and applied pressure. Int's, PD's, and incompletes all increased when pressure is applied and that was with Chung, Gregory, and Wilson in constant rotation all year. If that rotation was good enough with a pass rush but looked beyond bad without one it shows the difference when pressure is and isn't applied. There is one thing that is certain, no coverage will last forever if you can't get to the QB but a make shift coverage will succeed more than fail if the rush doesn't give the QB time to get set.

I agree but I dont attribute ALL the offensive failure to not having a real # 1. Did it hurt? sure but our offense stalled due to drop passes that hit receivers right in the hands. Pass rush is harder to fix IMO and atleast you have a body there(chandler) who looks the part but just needs to develop more. BB is NOT gonna go get a one dimensional pass rusher IMO.  I believe the plan was to have more push inside but Cunninghams suspension set him back. We have already got 2 CFL players who like they were brought to help that so I didnt include that as priority but I get what you are saying. My piont is even though we didnt have that inside rusher the whole year we have a strong front 7 that is getting better. Can u say we have a strong 4 i n the back end who are getting better? I dont like Wes as the go to guy but if he held on to a few passes we may be playing this sunday so I see safety as the biggest need because we had NOONE to make a difference back there. Wes just got his clock cleaned and clammed up and Gronk?? Would he have made the difference?? IDK, he goes over the  middle where all the coverage was. I dont wanna make excuses for our 36pts/gm offense. Our pathetic pass defense #'s the past 3 years regardless of who is on the field is my reason for picking safety. lets be honest, our CBs suck if Talib doesnt return but ROdney allowed us to put anyone at CB. Thats whY I say its priority.

Go get Justin Hunter from Tenn. in the draft for your new # 1. Wes should go...too small to make a difference in postseason and for all his 1st downs he makes it hinders us and makes us predictable. Someone called him a 1st down machine so where is Wes gonna be?? At the Chains...How hard is that to defend?? You go to guy needs to be able to catch balls all over the field so teams cant bog down the middle and stop your WHOLE offense. Tight ends included

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Speaking of Gholston, we had this guy in BB's office two years ago...all it was going to take was money. Didn't happen. Every time we make a mistake like that over money, we end up losing big games against good teams in the playoffs. The money we saved by not signing a Gohlston, was used on four guys that didn't work out...or it just wasn't spent at all. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If they don't fix what's wrong on the sidelines then nothing else matters...

Play calling

No adjustments

Confusion, players not ready?

Thought process that benches Vereen untill 3rd quarter

Trying to FORCE the same play over and over when it clearly ain't working

They can tackle players after. If they don't fix the reasons why they show up on the National Stage and pizz their pants then what's the point...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Umm, Rusty I have some guys on the phone that want to talk to you. Adrian Wilson, Benard Pollard(is he still playing), Landry, William Moore, Kam Chancellor, Donte Witner, etc, etc.

I just cant believe that everyone has forget what football was built on. Sure u can go the route of gettin all coverage safeties to cover TEs but how many teams still standing have 2 outstanding TE's like we do?  Why did every team in the final 4 have a SS except us. Why is Benard Pollard( a guy who isnt that good) still playing? Maybe because HE intimidated our recievers and made them hear footsteps. All your linebackers shouldnt be big and bulky and most teams have ONE guy that can cover so lets really evaluate this. Do you really need 4 Cbs in the back end and who would be scared to go into that? Having coverage safeties mean all u can do to impact games is get INTS and we KNOW they always dissapear come playoff time. Gregory cant even cover so why are we saying "we need cover safeties" Im glad you guys have fell for Rustys claim of the NFL being a passing lead and thus no need for SS's but look around the NFL? They aint went no where. Teams that WIN have SS's. period!  Just like Peyton and his passing offense, when the postseason comes Brady has to deal with tougher defenses so why shouldnt our defense be tough as well? How did that coverage Safty Rahim Moore do in the clutch...lol

U guys just dont get it. Lets just move Arrington back to play safety...smh. I guess we will have to wait and see what BB does to see if he agrees with me. Anyone wanna wager..lol

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Play calling

No adjustments

They can tackle players after. If they don't fix the reasons why they show up on the National Stage and pizz their pants then what's the point...

This too, but still need a real safety. The coaching thing still baffles me. Why does BB Bitch up in big games after being Mr. Ballzy in regular season.?? I bet he has never punted from an opponents 35 TWICE in one game in regular season but thats another topic.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Play calling

No adjustments

This too, but still need a real safety. The coaching thing still baffles me. Why does BB Bitch up in big games after being Mr. Ballzy in regular season.?? I bet he has never punted from an opponents 35 TWICE in one game in regular season but thats another topic.

Maybe the wind?  Why do you blame everyone but #12, the guy who leads the offense. You'll never escape the fact that he is being outplayed by inferior QBs, when he used to NOT be.

Rusty lets stay on topic. I have already gone on record about Brady I just dont see the need to make him the scapegoat. Should I go down the list one more time and will you leave it alone after that??

1st of all, since when has weather affected the way this offense runs. I recall Brady throwing a ton of balls vs Oakland in a crazy, windy snowstorm so lets cancel that excuse off rip. Now the list,....bare with me, I dont have the game log.

This was  a Team Loss but if I had to single out ONE player, he certainly would not be # 12. He did his part and was the reason they lost. Its pretty simple. YOu cant argue that he audibled to passes too much because we had great balance but just couldnt finish drives. Those stalled drives on the other side of the field were ALL results of Dropped passed that were on target. Brady made the mistake of trying to run to the ball and spike it as his Boss' request and then realized time was almost up and called T/O. I will put that on Brady for the sake of argument. How about poor offensive line play? Not enough holes opened in run game. How about total lack of pass rush on Flacco? Bradys fault? How about coaching like a Beyoutch? Bradys fault? How about not using the biggest mismatch in Vareen until the 3rd quarter when the game was over IMO? bradys fault? What about Ridleys Fumble? or 3 straight scores inside the redzone? Was it brady or Mayo who got ran over at the goal line by rice? If you are gonna harp on 2 late pics that were thrown. One was tipped, the game was still in question. The other his fault but game was over already. WhY should i be putting all that on Brady who only plays QB?  Gald I could help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wow, last year you were raving about Gregory and saying McCourty was an all pro CB. I was begging for free agent $$ to be spent on Golston or Webb and for Smith to be drafted, and you could only insult me, say I spelled Golston's name incorrectly, and say how could I even question the greatest GM in the history of the NFL, offering no viable comeback as usual...

Were you wrong yet again...but thats no surprise

I have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever.  Webb was 1st rd pick value and huge money on the table. NO THANKS. That's why he didn't get traded. Only a VERY DUMB team would sacrifice a 1st rd pick with a rookie cap AND pay through the nose for the 2011 trendy CB of the year.

That was a ridiculous idea.

I was all for bringing in Goldson.  They couldn't get together on the money, apparently/it wasn't enough for him to move.

McCourty looks pretty good to me at Safety. No complaints from me there.

Learn to balance a checkbook before attempting to talk down to me, too. You and your buddies think there is no cap, salaries don't matter, etc. SF best win the SB this weekend, because Goldson's high salary, as he used NE to up his price in SF, will have Goldson playing elsewhere next year.

Only you would blame BB for drafting Jones and Hightower, and just because he didn't have MORE picks to suit your desires, he doesn't get Harrison Smith, and you're life as a fan is ruined.

GROW UP, kid.

you scoffed at the Golston thought, yet I believe he ended up signing for less than Gregory did.

drafting Jones, Smith, LB rather than Jones, Hightower, Wilson would ahve addressed the Pats needs

I would have also drafted Jones, traded the 2nd #1 for Webb.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Defensive tackle

Without the ability to get to the QB than it's irrelevant how good our defensive backfield is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Defensive tackle

Without the ability to get to the QB than it's irrelevant how good our defensive backfield is.

This is also a priority but since when do tackles rush the passer? Are we getting Richard Seymour back?  I want a real tackle to go alongside Fork but we still need to get rush from our ends and Nink as timely as his plays are doesnt consistently put pressure on the QB and we all know BB doesnt get guys just to do one thing. The fact is Qbs are gonna get passes off even against the best lines but you need a safety who clean recievers clock so they dont feel comfortable going over the middle all game like the Ravens did. Cover Safeties get ran over in goal line situations by Tight ends , just ask Gregory. You need to be physical and we have none. Wilson is close but he doesnt hit hard.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is also a priority but since when do tackles rush the passer? Are we getting Richard Seymour back?  I want a real tackle to go alongside Fork but we still need to get rush from our ends and Nink as timely as his plays are doesnt consistently put pressure on the QB and we all know BB doesnt get guys just to do one thing. The fact is Qbs are gonna get passes off even against the best lines but you need a safety who clean recievers clock so they dont feel comfortable going over the middle all game like the Ravens did. Cover Safeties get ran over in goal line situations by Tight ends , just ask Gregory. You need to be physical and we have none. Wilson is close but he doesnt hit hard.

Since when do D tackles not try to rush the passer?  

Take the combined mass of the Ravens starting offensive line, now measure that in comparison to Wilfork and Love.  If the two outside tackles (maybe with a chip block from a tightend) can block our outside rushers, than that leaves three guys on their interior to block two of our defensive tackles.

We need to be able to break down protection in front of a QB, we need to be able to crush the pocket.  It would be nice to have the luxury of moving Ninckovich back to outside linebacker and line three large tackles across the front (like Vince, Seymour, Warren) who can beat multiple blockers in front of them, that's when you'd see our edge rushers coming free and getting sacks.

You build your football team from the inside out. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Defensive tackle

You keep saying this "clean their clock" thing but DBs aren't allowed to do that stuff. It's an additional 15 yards.

I also love how 1 TD by a good TE like Pitta is somehow so offensive. Like no other Safety in man coverage allowed a 10 yard TD all year in the NFL. lmao

It'd be nice if our own QB scored us TDs in the red zone.  

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty!  .....wow...Where Do I begin??  You started this by asking why I didnt blame Brady for the loss so I pointed all the mistakes that werent Bradys fault and you come back with "How does a high school dropout claim to know more than BB" and then go on yet another off topic rant and you cant understand why you are the laughing stock here??? I tried yet again to engage in discussion and because you had no rebuttal you once again resort to assaulting my character when you know absolutely nothing about me. Not once did I mention ANY other coaches I wanted here but leave it you to LIE again. Why is it a problem for you to lay ANY blame at the foot of the GUY IN CHARGE but you find ALL the blame with the best player who is keeping BB employed??  lol @ you... Wow Dude,....you will be miserable soul forever....

15 yard penatly means what?? You cant win the game??  This is what I mean, Rodney used to get em all the time early, Its called SETTING THE TONE! Ask any coach if he would sacrifice 15 yards early to set the tone and they all say yet. You dont know the game outside of stats and BB' balls Rusty and thats TRUTH!   That play that Gregory gave up , gave them the lead and they never looked back. EVERYONE else JAMMED  their man on that play and BB could be seen going crazy after the play....smh

LEARN THE GAME! Your ignorance is starting to become contagious here as everyone thinks having 4 Cbs  in the back end is a good thing now...LMAO!  This is gonna be fun watching you try to spin again when BB picks up 2 SS's in the offseason..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

IMO, NO. DT is.

The secondary has consistently been burned WHEN the opposing QB has time. While edge rush ahs been addressed, they now need an interior rush. That's what they need to turn teh corner.

Also, imagine what this team would be if VW went down. BB can band aid a bad secondary. I don't think he can band aid for VW being out.

Sections
Shortcuts