Suck for Luck Sweepstakes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes:
    If Luck came out last year he would have been the #1 pick.  There's a lot to like about Luck.  That being said he is not Peyton Manning.  The Colts would have to retool the whole thing if they went after him.  If the Colts do go after him it speaks volumes of Manning neck condition.
    Posted by garytx

The sports talking heads who rate QBs for a living have him above Manning and slightly below John Elway as the best potential NFL QB ever. My money is on Miami, which has lost Henne for the season, and certainly doesn't look as though it could beat anyone in the AFC East.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

"Suck for Luck" idea is catching on in Indy: http://www.indystar.com/article/20111009/SPORTS03/110090360/Tank-season-No-way-Colts-insist

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

Gino Smith is the best qb....

in college football this season.
    He is incrediably accurate and has put up huge numbers against everyone this season including arguably the toughest defense in all college football in LSU.
    ( 450 yards and 3 tds ).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Colts are the prohibitive favorites in the "Sweepstakes". Bill Polian's son, Brian, is in his second year as the special teams coach at Stanford. Who has a better opportunity to scout Luck?: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/polian_brian00.html

Three weeks ago, Bill Polian personally went to North Carolina to watch Stanford play Duke.

Having signed Manning without demanding a physical could well ruin the franchise. Should Peyton never play again, the Colts just gave him a $90 million dollar contract. As far as we know, there were no injury clauses in the contract. Hell, Peyton didn't even need to pass a physical after signing it. Even if Peyton never takes another snap, the Colts will still owe him $55 million.

Crazy, right?

So, even if the team does (tank to get Luck), they will still owe a lot of money (and cap space) to No. 18 (From Stampede Blue, 9/12/11)

Finally, there's this:

Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw said Sunday on FOX that Manning’s situation reminds him of his own situation late in his career with the Steelers. After Bradshaw had offseason elbow surgery in 1983, he told the Steelers that he’d be ready to go even though, he now says, “I knew I could not play.” Bradshaw’s elbow injury was so severe that he was able to play in just one more NFL game before it forced him to retire, but the Steelers believed Bradshaw when he said he was healthy and decided to pass on Dan Marino in the 1983 NFL draft.

Based on his own experience, Bradshaw urged Manning to be “brutally honest” with the Colts about whether he can keep playing. But the truth is, Manning is too much of a competitor to be brutally honest: He’s going to say he can play until he can’t walk anymore. That’s just the way he is.

And so the Colts are going to have to be brutally honest with themselves, and decide what’s best for the franchise going forward. They’ve already sunk a lot of money into Manning’s new contract, but that’s in the past. If they’re not certain Manning can be healthy enough to lead them for years to come, they’d be foolish to pass up Luck. (ProFootballTalk.com, 9/12/11)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Big showdown this weekend between KC and Indy. I say it comes down to MINN vs. MIA.  Those teams both play in tough divisions, where as KC gets DEN twice.  Maybe Denver is dark horse.... Luck hands off to Tebow. I couple people mentioned Cinci?  They already have 2 wins and a pretty light schedule, I'd be surprised if they don't win at least 6. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Who do you think will suck harder for Luck today?

The contenders are the Colts, the Vikings, the Chiefs, the Seahawks, the Dolphins, the Jaguars, and secretly the Eagles (especially if Vick gets injured yet again)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I believe The same people claiming that Luck is the next great thing were the same people calling the Eagles the Dream Team....Ha Ha Ha Ha

Oh, and Cassel in not a quality NFL starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Going by the halftime scores it looks like a battle between KC and Philly with Philly having a slight edge. The Dream Team is nightmare worthy of Freddy Krueger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I say again,
    Have you noticed how the Clots have been in every game and then manage to choke right at the end EVERY week (except for opening day @HOU, which was handwritting on the wall time)? Peyton is NOT hurt, it's a shame. Why is #18 in the coaches box, instead of down on the field? Because, he knows Painter won't be there next year, Luck will be. Out of the kindness of his heart, old horseface doesn't want to give Painter false affirmations, so he's avoiding the issue altogether -with Irsay's approval- in the coaches box, not down on the field, like every other non-arrogant QB would do. THE COLTS WILL NOT WIN A GAME UNTIL EVERYBODY ELSE DOES, period. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes : Who do you think will suck harder for Luck today? The contenders are the Colts, the Vikings, the Chiefs, the Seahawks, the Dolphins, the Jaguars, and secretly the Eagles (especially if Vick gets injured yet again)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

The Indianapolis Colts took a huge step forward towards the acquisition of Andrew Luck, by squandering a 17 point lead, in route to a 28-24 home loss to the Kansas City Chiefs:
    http://www.indystar.com/article/20111010/SPORTS15/110100341/Bob-Kravitz-Colts-defense-takes-responsibility-loss

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's getting harder and harder not to see the San Antonio Spurs in the Indianapolis Colts.

I'm still perplexed as to how they're going to manage to boot not one, but two games to Jacksonville, but it's becoming clearer and clearer to me that this franchise has no intention of being out-inepted for that first pick.

Oh well . . .  it's not like throwing games is anything new to these guys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are some comments from Colts' fans, as they watch their team float towards the #1 overall pick:

1.) Bill Polian for years has had opportunities to retain the Colts best defensive players only to let them sign contracts elsewhere. They resigned Freeney, Mathis, and Brackett, but never get the BIG hogs needed in the trenches. When you cannot stop the run it also opens up the passing. Peyton's injury has also shown how many holes need to be filled along the defensive line and now secondary. If they continue to play like yesterday's game, they will be in the running for Luck;

2.) From 19-0 almost to 2-14,incredible....does it make Polian a great gm cuz he drafted Goober and might get Luck now? One lousy year would be worth it for a good qb....this must be hard for vets like Freeney and Mathis after all those 12 win seasons;

3.) Regarding “loss of Manning,” are you sure it’s a loss? The now-Manning is a man without a neck, and if his neck is gone, isn’t that an indicator of smashingly powerful hits to the head, meaning his brains may be going too? And who’d be surprised that his knees are also going? Minor knee injuries as many football players (judo participants too) know, often result in major arthritis. Manning’s knee injury wasn’t minor. Any idea that the Colts would have a better record if Manning was playing is nothing but conjecture;

4.) Put Collins back in. Painter might accidentally lead them to a win. Have to compete with Miami for the perfect season;

5.) I wish people would stop chanting the name, Andrew Luck, as if he were some sort of shoe-in lock to be the next Peyton Manning. Anyone remember Ryan Leaf? Jeff George? They were supposed to be automatic franchise QB's too. Tony Mandarich, Jamarcus Russell, KiJana Carter....number one picks are like a box of chocolates...;

6.) If I'm Peyton Manning I'm retiring before I run out there and get embarrassed by this bunch of losers;

7.) 1. How is Andrew Luck gonna stop anybody on 3rd down?
         2. Maybe it's not the scheme, maybe it's actually the players.
         3. The offense dumped it back on the defense in the 2nd half.
         4. Our defense is built on our offense having the ball MORE than 8 minutes a half. The best way to have our defense look good is to have our offense keep them on the sidelines.
         5. It's all about 3rd down people, we need to convert more on offense and stop more on defense;

8.) I played football and know football well. Caldwell should never have been coach. And he brought in Coyer. Imagine a new car with everything running well except the computer.... bam! the whole car fails. And whoever is calling the offensive plays needs jerked. Painter was in rhythm and they bring in their non existent run game??? Polian is either playing for Andrew Luck or they seriously are the lame brains of football. They now need to win every game out just to hope for a Wild Card, unless the division tanks. But meanwhile, there goes another record season of playoff appearances. But heck, who cares, it's only the fan's money that's wasted;

9.) The Colts even had the Manning-era officiating working for them, and they still couldn't win;

10.) This is an 8-8 team with Manning.

LOL!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes :      The Indianapolis Colts took a huge step forward towards the acquisition of Andrew Luck, by squandering a 17 point lead, in route to a 28-24 home loss to the Kansas City Chiefs: http://www.indystar.com/article/20111010/SPORTS15/110100341/Bob-Kravitz-Colts-defense-takes-responsibility-loss
    Posted by TexasPat3

It's unfortunate for the Colts that the Phins are also winless. Phins will have the tie breaker since they have the weaker schedule. Then there is also the Rams who will sell to the highest bidder. I'm going to laugh my butt off if the Colts tank the entire season only to not the get #1 pick and the Rams sell it off to a team like the Vikings or Seahawks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

I think it would be a hoot if Luck decides to stay for his senior year at Stanford.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

The NFL Could take care of this by instituting it's own Draft Lottery for the bottom 5 teams with a system that is not weighted at all. The Funny thing is that there are no Guarantees with QBs. Just see Andre Ware, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, David Klingler and 1000s more. Losing breeds more losing and the Colts have more problems than their pathetic offense, namely their pathetic coach and pathetic defense. If they wanted to compete this year they would have fired Caldwell last year but hey, when you have the NFL Version of M.L. Carr on the sidelines you must exhaust the depths of his lack of ability. The beginning of the end for loserville was when they Tanked a perfect season and stuck it to every player on that team that actually had a set. Now the Chickens have just returned to roost. Cockadoodledoo Indy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What . . .   no love for M.L. Carr?

Dude waved mean towel.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

What . . .   no love for M.L. Carr? Dude waved mean towel.
    Posted by p-mike

If he won the lottery for us that year I would have but the guy ended up being a Jinx. Cry

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Andrew Luck is not an idiot like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, or Jeff George. He actually has a brain (just like Elway did) to go with a terrific arm. The race to the bottom is almost 1/3 of the way home and my money is still on Miami.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

COLTS

SunOctober 16    @Cincinnati Bengals            
    7SunOctober 23    @New Orleans Saints            
    8SunOctober 30    @Tennessee Titans            
    9SunNovember 6     Atlanta Falcons            
    10SunNovember 13     Jacksonville Jaguars            
    11       Bye Week            
    12SunNovember 27     Carolina Panthers            
    13SunDecember 4    @New England Patriots            
    14SunDecember 11    @Baltimore Ravens            
    15SunDecember 18     Tennessee Titans            
    16ThuDecember 22     Houston Texans            
    17SunJanuary 1    @Jacksonville Jaguars

FISH
    6MonOctober 17    @New York Jets            
    7SunOctober 23     Denver Broncos            
    8SunOctober 30    @New York Giants            
    9SunNovember 6    @Kansas City Chiefs            
    10SunNovember 13     Washington Redskins            
    11SunNovember 20     Buffalo Bills            
    12ThuNovember 24    @Dallas Cowboys            
    13SunDecember 4     Oakland Raiders            
    14SunDecember 11     Philadelphia Eagles            
    15SunDecember 18    @Buffalo Bills            
    16SatDecember 24    @New England Patriots            
    17SunJanuary 1     New York Jets
    The 2 frontrunners are the Colts and the Fish IMO. 
    The Colts are hacking on purpose. 
    The Colts better hope the Fish lose by Nov 13th.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Side note:

I asked a co-worker (Bronco fan) if she thinks Tebow is the "second coming" and I also asked her if she was one of those cheering for the Broncos after their loss, I did not get a response.  Luckily, I did not listen to the Tebow lovers on talk radio today! Tebow is not a franchise QB

I am not sure if the Broncos would go after Luck with the 1st pick in the draft....Although like Elway he is a product of Stanford.  The Colts could be the ones with the 1st pick this year.  I would rather Luck go to an NFC team...of course

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The 2 frontrunners are the Colts and the Fish IMO.  The Colts are hacking on purpose.  The Colts better hope the Fish lose by Nov 13th.
    Posted by jbolted

Jim Irsay has indicated that the Colts woulld take Luck, if they finished with the league's worst record. My guess is that Polian is fully committed to have his team "Suck for Luck": http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmPpeXboD76fAPlXR_1MmSlDubYF?slug=jc-cole_colts_andrew_luck_2012_draft_101011  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

TP of course they would take Luck. It's still 50/50 if Manning will ever come back to form and he is due $28mil in bonuses over the next couple years. If they get Luck it's the perfect opportunity for them to dump Manning this off-season and bring Luck in. They wouldn't catch to much flak while opening up a ton of cap space and replacing their HoF caliber QB with the top ranked QB in the last decade. They are just praying at this point that the Phins, Sea, Minn, and Rams aren't thinking the same thing. The tie breaker goes to the team with the weakest schedule and worst record so since the Colts has the harder schedule they would have a worse pick then any of the teams mentioned above if they have the same record

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP of course they would take Luck. It's still 50/50 if Manning will ever come back to form and he is due $28mil in bonuses over the next couple years. If they get Luck it's the perfect opportunity for them to dump Manning this off-season and bring Luck in. They wouldn't catch to much flak while opening up a ton of cap space and replacing their HoF caliber QB with the top ranked QB in the last decade. They are just praying at this point that the Phins, Sea, Minn, and Rams aren't thinking the same thing. The tie breaker goes to the team with the weakest schedule and worst record so since the Colts has the harder schedule they would have a worse pick then any of the teams mentioned above if they have the same record
    Posted by PatsEng

Agreed...but try to tell this to "The Dog(gggg)"...LOL!!!     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes :      Jim Irsay has indicated that the Colts woulld take Luck, if they finished with the league's worst record....
    Posted by TexasPat3

So Irsay is on record saying they'd draft a guy who is a junior and hasn't declared for the draft?  Is that kosher? I mean it's fine for fans and the media to speculate on this sort of thing, but I'm not sure about that when it comes to NFL execs?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes : So Irsay is on record saying they'd draft a guy who is a junior and hasn't declared for the draft?  Is that kosher? I mean it's fine for fans and the media to speculate on this sort of thing, but I'm not sure about that when it comes to NFL execs?
    Posted by Muzwell

Hey Muz...are you insinuating that any member of the Indianapolis Colts' front office would ever tamper with a player's decision to enter the draft? Shame on you. "The Pius One", Saint Tony of Indy, certainly won't be including you in any of his prayers.

LOL!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes :      Jim Irsay has indicated that the Colts woulld take Luck, if they finished with the league's worst record. My guess is that Polian is fully committed to have his team "Suck for Luck": http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmPpeXboD76fAPlXR_1MmSlDubYF?slug=jc-cole_colts_andrew_luck_2012_draft_101011   
    Posted by TexasPat3

The game against KC was downright obvious. Watch it close ( I did), after they got up 17-0 it was all about intential non-tackling.  I think the league should step in and fine Irsay. This is a freakin' joke.

“Guys like that come along so rarely,” Irsay said, referring to Manning and what many are projecting of Luck. The Stanford senior is already widely considered a near-lock to be the No. 1 overall pick. “Even if that means that guy sits for three or four years, you’d certainly think about taking him … you see what Green Bay did with [Brett] Favre and [Aaron] Rodgers and you’d like to be able to do the same thing.”

Yours truly stated this was what Irsay was thinking about a month ago. Now he actually says it. He honestly believes Indy is in the same league of 'football heritage' as GB. Makes me want to vomit.

Sections
Shortcuts