Sudfield's Slide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Sudfield's Slide

sudfield looked good in pre-season games, making some difficult catches and seemed to be on the same page as Brady. Where did this guy go? He only shows up on the stat sheet last night with a miffed onside kick, virtually no production on offense, not 1 caught pass. He did get held once that was called resulting in a first down. 

Were we better off with sudfield or keeping Fells? At least Fells would have been a better blocking option given our new resurgent run game. and, he may have caught a few passes to boot. 

i don't see why sudfield is on this roster. Surely between Ballard and fells there were better options to play TE? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Sudfield's Slide

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

sudfield looked good in pre-season games, making some difficult catches and seemed to be on the same page as Brady. Where did this guy go? He only shows up on the stat sheet last night with a miffed onside kick, virtually no production on offense, not 1 caught pass. He did get held once that was called resulting in a first down. 

Were we better off with sudfield or keeping Fells? At least Fells would have been a better blocking option given our new resurgent run game. and, he may have caught a few passes to boot. 

i don't see why sudfield is on this roster. Surely between Ballard and fells there were better options to play TE? 

He out played both. He earn a spot over those guys. The injury really set him back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, but he's healthy now and not contributing...at least positively. 

This may be a case of seeing him perform and do so well against 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason vs #1 defenders now. 

Watching him closely, I don't see him getting any separation in his routes. He doesn't seem to run them crisply and seems to lack the strength to create his own. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've said this since I first saw him in the preseason, but I don't think he moves all that well or has great balance or lower body strength.  I don't expect much from him. Fells was my favourite to go with Hoomanawanui and Gronk. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There were very few plays last night where Sudfeld was the intended target, or even the #2 option. Would be really nice to have a TE on this team, b/c they're barely using this one.  

On the plus side, it's pretty crazy to see what the Pats doing with the personnel they have.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Brady hasnt been looking his way much. Doubt he will see much field once Gronk returns. I feel the same way about him I always did. He was no better than any of the undrafted TEs weve brought in the past. Its just that there was an oppty for him to make the team and he did. He beat out a hobbled Ballard and an injured Fells. Fells was a better player. This guy is a jag.

Fans overate preseason performances and as it is he only caught a few balls in preseason. I never understood the infatuation.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Too early to over react.

They went with a heavy emphasis on running the ball. The other two, who are NOT rookies, are also better blockers in most opinions.

Anyone remember Vereens hamstring injury his rookie year? How often did he get looks after falling behind that year. 

Will have to wait and see on Sudsy. Still very early.

Besides, it will only take a single game at some point for him to have a couple nice and key catches and someone will start a thread along the lines of wow how come this guy has not been playing more all along. ** shaking head **

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree LOW, but if the intent is to run more and target the te's less in gronk's absence, then why sudfeld over fells or Ballard? Both are better blockers. Why not another OL? 

I am patient on sudfeld especially given the fact gronk is close. But I question if really has the goods in the first place to even be on this team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Agree LOW, but if the intent is to run more and target the te's less in gronk's absence, then why sudfeld over fells or Ballard? Both are better blockers. Why not another OL? 

I am patient on sudfeld especially given the fact gronk is close. But I question if really has the goods in the first place to even be on this team. 

He has slightly better upside and most importantly was cheaper. But, I liked Sudfeld a lot in camp and I still see a lot of potential but he does need to get more reps. Hard to improve if you only get 1 look a game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

To piggy back on what PatsEng said...

I was going to say this as well so I will just piggy back on.

If you are thinking to keeping ballard or fells "just to get by until gronk returns" why risk losing Sudsys upside to another team potentially?

It's also possible they had their eye on mulligan all along and have to wait till it was logistically the right timing? Don't know.

They also might feel Ballard is done, at least until some serious extended rest and recovery.

I remember Ballard being quoted as saying something about his knee not feeling quite right and feeling he probably never would again.

Obviously I don't know but those would be some of my guesses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Calm down, Brady isn't look at his TEs much if they're open or not. Gronk will open the field for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Return with me if you will to Brady's first TD pass of the evening, which, by the way, went to that household name Matthew Mulligan - a tight end who I am sure will not make anyone soon forget the name Tony Gonazlez.  Why would Brady target Msr. Mulligan?  Because, in the words of the immortal Chris Collinsworth, Sudfield was the primary target but was doubled on the play.  My point: If Brady is using Sudfield as a primary target on a red zone play, then I'm thinking the kid is probably ok.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Its weird, in the preseason, Wozzy said that he'd be better than Hernandez. LMAO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

He probably will be cut when Gronk is back.  Can he go back to the practice squad, and do the Pats want him there?

Living well is the best revenge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Too early to over react.

They went with a heavy emphasis on running the ball. The other two, who are NOT rookies, are also better blockers in most opinions.

Anyone remember Vereens hamstring injury his rookie year? How often did he get looks after falling behind that year. 

Will have to wait and see on Sudsy. Still very early.

Besides, it will only take a single game at some point for him to have a couple nice and key catches and someone will start a thread along the lines of wow how come this guy has not been playing more all along. ** shaking head **

Good points, especially the fact about the thread being started as soon as he catches 3 balls next week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Its weird, in the preseason, Wozzy said that he'd be better than Hernandez. LMAO

Never said that at all, they don't even play the same position Bunghole-Bill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You did a position by position breakdown and said the tight end position is better this year with Sudfeld. Just like you try saying every move BB makes is pure gold...until it doesn't work out or backfires, then you play dumb.

Have a good day wozzydoo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Could be wrong but I think Sudfeld has been thrown to just once.  And that one target could have been a much better pass - Brady didn't have to throw thru a window like he did last nite to Mulligan.   Every week you can watch highlights (or lowlights) of players struggling to grab a hold of or fall on simple bouncing balls.  

I would not be too quick to throw Sudfeld under the bus.  There was a lot of flustration with KT after game 1.  Now he's a hero.

Brady is gonna have to accept "just do your job", not lock onto certain receivers, and go thru the progression.  If not, BB will not hestitate to replace him. He did it with Bernie Kosar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You did a position by position breakdown and said the tight end position is better this year with Sudfeld. Just like you try saying every move BB makes is pure gold...until it doesn't work out or backfires, then you play dumb.

Have a good day wozzydoo.

Im sure he is gonna back down from the "suds has the best hands on the team" comment as well. If it makes you feel better, he denied what he said about that too and J.Collins being our best tackler. No biggie. I didnt have the time to pull the old threads so its he say, she say now.  I do recall him saying that Sudfeld > Hernandez which in itself is crazy. Now they dont play the same position? TE.. What am I missing..?

Atleast our D is looking very well and he may end up being right with his # 1 D prediction. San Fran may take a step back and maybe Seattle will catch some injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Im sure he is gonna back down from the "suds has the best hands on the team" comment as well. If it makes you feel better, he denied what he said about that too and J.Collins being our best tackler. No biggie. I didnt have the time to pull the old threads so its he say, she say now.  I do recall him saying that Sudfeld > Hernandez which in itself is crazy. Now they dont play the same position? TE.. What am I missing..?

Atleast our D is looking very well and he may end up being right with his # 1 D prediction. San Fran may take a step back and maybe Seattle will catch some injuries.

What I actually said was that having multiple big physical tightends, actual tightends, would be better than having one Gronk and one fullback, which is what Hernandez was regardless of his designation on the depth chart, also that not having a serial killer and locker room cancer on your team would be a plus, not a minus.

We didn't carry fullbacks on the roster after 2008 when Heath Evans left, we removed that label, it still doesn't make 6'1" 240 pound Aaron Hernandez an NFL tightend.  Keith Byars played the same exact position for the Patriots for two seasons, only back then he was called a fullback at 6'1" 260 pounds.  Larry Centers played the same position for the Patriots but back then we called them fullbacks, he was 6' 225 pounds, Mark Edwards played the same position only back then we carried fullbacks, he was 6' 250 pounds...  

In 2009 when O'Brien took over the offense the team very publicly removed the position from the roster and merged it with tightends, there's a big difference between a fullback and a 6'6" 265 pound tightend.

I don't back off anything I said about Collins being an outstanding tackler which is pretty evident from his near 200 solo and 314 total tackles in college.  In both his and Sudfeld's case if you need rookies to make an impact on your team in their first year it's usually because your team sux, our team on the other hand is 4-0 and annually the best team in the NFL.  Rookies have to earn it here, this isn't the Jests or Jaguars where spots are handed to them because there is nobody else.  Sudfeld may very well be regressing, it doesn't mean he doesn't have good hands.

Triple please enjoy the alliance you've made with Bunghole-Bill, you guys can hold hands and celebrate how terrible these Patriot's players are and how Belichick stinks as they continue their march toward yet another NFL playoff appearance and likely Super Bowl.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Personally he doesn't look like he is running real well right now, it looks like he lost his balance when trying to make a cut last night...then he crapped the bed on that onside kick. I'd like to see the kid get involved and do something, because it would go a long way for his confidence and the offense overall.

Sections
Shortcuts