Sunday forecast: Sleet, freezing rain giving way to rain/snow showers, with temp in mid 30s

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Sunday forecast: Sleet, freezing rain giving way to rain/snow showers, with temp in mid 30s

And 13 MPH wind.

No tarp for this field; if I'm Bob Kraft, I'm telling the grounds crew to take the day off, lol!

Much harder for SF's Smith boys to get a hard charge on the QB with poor footing.

This game will be won in the air, not on the ground.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Sunday forecast: Sleet, freezing rain giving way to rain/snow showers, with temp in mid 30s

Also, while I would rather have had Stallworth than Branch the rest of the way, I believe Branch is better for this game, considering the conditions. Just think: Welker, Hernandez, Branch and Woodhead all jitterbugging on a bad field...gonna 'cause nightmares for a normally super-aggressive defense.

The Pats D, on the other hand, is more used to playing a patient brand of football. Making Kaepernick earn every inch on a long field will eventually pay dividends.

If the weather does come in as predicted, I do not think this game will be close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Sunday forecast: Sleet, freezing rain giving way to rain/snow showers, with temp in mid 30s

Niners are kind of built for these types of conditions, but I'll take Brady in a snow/sleet/windy game at home any day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Niners are kind of built for these types of conditions, but I'll take Brady in a snow/sleet/windy game at home any day.

[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you on offense, because they can run the ball. Problem is (if Talib is close to healthy) Pats are going to stack the box and make CK beat them with his arm. Tough job, especially when he doesn't have a great receiving corps to begin with, and his #2 receiver is out.

On D, I think such conditions severely hurt the 9ers. From the few games I've seen of them, their success is built in being an in-your-face defense, which requires, A) getting off the line and, B) getting inside the jock of the receivers.

Both of these things will be very hard to do if the footing is less than adequate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you on offense, because they can run the ball. Problem is (if Talib is close to healthy) Pats are going to stack the box and make CK beat them with his arm. Tough job, especially when he doesn't have a great receiving corps to begin with, and his #2 receiver is out.

On D, I think such conditions severely hurt the 9ers. From the few games I've seen of them, their success is built in being an in-your-face defense, which requires, A) getting off the line and, B) getting inside the jock of the receivers.

Both of these things will be very hard to do if the footing is less than adequate.

[/QUOTE]

Good points about the defense.  slick, wet conditions will slow down any pass rush.  Should be a fun game to watch.  I love watching football games played in adverse weather.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There's zero statistical evidence to support the idea that warm weather teams don't play well in the cold; at least, when they do play poorly it's not because of the weather.

Look at SFs roster and you'll find that more than 1/2 the team is from cold weather areas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

granted, the Patriots are a "cold-weather" team, but does anyone have any stats on how often the home team wins in inclement weather?

Snow/sleat/rain affects both teams equally.  And, I'm not sure if I would exclusively have an air attack in bad weather as I think the weather increases the chances of  turnovers. In other words, you still have to run the ball to set up everything else....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to soups' comment:

There's zero statistical evidence to support the idea that warm weather teams don't play well in the cold; at least, when they do play poorly it's not because of the weather. Look at SFs roster and you'll find that more than 1/2 the team is from cold weather areas.

C'mon soups, we have our own evidence. The last snow game in Foxboro the Patriots beat the Titans 59-0. There was also that Cardinals game in 2008, 47-7.

That said, I don't think weather will affect this 49ers team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Last I heard, Brady was something like 18-2 in cold weather/inclement weather games, and undefeated in games where the temp was less than high 30's.

My bad, undefeated in temps below 32 deg F

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Brady is the best cold-weather quarterback in NFL history since 1960. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/541319-patriots-vs-bears-why-the-weather-favors-tom-brady-and-new-england-patriots

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's zero statistical evidence to support the idea that warm weather teams don't play well in the cold; at least, when they do play poorly it's not because of the weather. Look at SFs roster and you'll find that more than 1/2 the team is from cold weather areas.

C'mon soups, we have our own evidence. The last snow game in Foxboro the Patriots beat the Titans 59-0. There was also that Cardinals game in 2008, 47-7.

That said, I don't think weather will affect this 49ers team.

[/QUOTE]

Touche, sir.  Right on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Looks like it's going to be warmer -- in the 40s -- and wet.  I'm packing rain gear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Harbaugh will have these guys ready for the elements, I for one am excited to see a sloppy, playoff style game in Foxboro.  

No excuses, we have to protect the ball and win the turnover battle.  A combination of power running and Brady spreading the defense out, use all of our runningbacks especially in the pass game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Kaepernick has a lot of experience from college playing in the rain, snow and cold.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

There's zero statistical evidence to support the idea that warm weather teams don't play well in the cold; at least, when they do play poorly it's not because of the weather.

Look at SFs roster and you'll find that more than 1/2 the team is from cold weather areas.

[/QUOTE]

May be true, but I'm not talking about cold and warm; I'm talking about good footing versus bad footing. And I think a bad field favors the Pats in this game.

We'll see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The niners won't be bothered by bad weather. If anything it's advantageous for them. The only problem for them is that the Patriots are the best at playing in bad weather.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The niners won't be bothered by bad weather. If anything it's advantageous for them. The only problem for them is that the Patriots are the best at playing in bad weather.

[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I can't see any logical reason how a bad field creates an advantage for a defensive speed team, especially when that team's offense is not particularly adept at throwing the ball even in good weather.

But...that's why they play the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  The Niners are built for fairly beautiful San Francisco weather, not counting a little fog coming off the ocean.  In northern California people wear sweaters loosely around their shoulders, in case the sun drops behind a fog bank and they need their sweaters. 

At this time, 3:30 p.m.,  the ice-rain line runs from Warwick, RI through Plymouth, MA.  The sleet-snow line runs through Pawtucket.  There may have been a snow flurry through Foxboro 2 hours ago.  Precipitation is on and off.  If anything, I'd say that the forecast leans toward some real oobleck (a Dr. Suess reference). 

The first thing to suffer in bad weather is the long bomb. Too often the bomb dies in a swirling wind gust and comes down into the defender's arms.  The rain causes more dropped passes, especially with those marginal snags on bombs.

Brady can still hit his short hard 5 yard passes into the flats, although a couple extra passes will be dropped today.  Kaepernick can do the same except that he's built for chucking bombs, not for accuracy on short routes, and his speedy receivers are built more for deep passes. 

If it gets icy, both running games actually do pretty well because the runner knows which way he's cutting.  The defenseman is left flat footed.  The same goes for yards after the catch. Tennessee got murdered in Foxboro something like 59-0 after a couple inches of snow greased the field.  Tennessee could no longer defend the quick New England receivers.  Randy Moss did well too.  He's on the other team now, but he's not what he used to be.

If it gets rainy, the soil gets soggy and runners slow down to a crawl as it were.  Getting 10 yards out of 3 downs becomes nearly impossible for runners, and punts are frequent.  Really fast runners suffer the most. 

My advice to San Francisco is to wear the right cleats.  Just don't ask me what the right cleats are. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kaepernick has a lot of experience from college playing in the rain, snow and cold.

[/QUOTE]

Really? you being sarcastic right? Nevada?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Harbaugh will have these guys ready for the elements, I for one am excited to see a sloppy, playoff style game in Foxboro.  

No excuses, we have to protect the ball and win the turnover battle.  A combination of power running and Brady spreading the defense out, use all of our runningbacks especially in the pass game.

[/QUOTE]

Guess this didn't happen...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Definetly not. Ridley,Vereen and Hernandez all had very costly fumbles that led to points. Should have tried Bolden from the start to try and establish some ground dominance. Vereen and Ridley aren't big enough to pound it into a D like Sanfran's. Need a big Corey Dillon type.
    Guess this didn't happen...

[/QUOTE]