SUPER BOWL Analysis and Prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

SUPER BOWL Analysis and Prediction

In the aftermath of the Pats' disappointing 26-16 loss in the AFC Title game, many of us just want this season to just "go away". If you're like me, you feel that it would be a complete disaster if the hated Horseface rides off into the SB sunset with a second ring, and surely an accompanying SB MVP award, regardless of whether or not it's merited. Then, the media staged Peyton love-feast thereafter will be both non-stop, and nauseating. So, let's don those "I love Richard Sherman" tee-shirts, and grab those sickly blue green pom-poms, and hope for a Seattle slew performance this Sunday. Below is my analysis of the upcoming game, and my prediction:

(15-3) Seattle Seahawks (+2.5) vs. (15-3) Denver Broncos: To this day, the media pokes fun at the Josh McDaniels era in Denver, from 2009-10. They  primarily point to his using the 25th overall pick in 2010 to draft QB Tim Tebow. But, what the media fails to mention is that Josh also drafted RB Knowshown Moreno and DE Robert Ayers in 2009, and OG Zane Beadles, LT Chris Clark (claimed off the waiver wire after being released by the Minnesota Vikings in 2010), along with WRs Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, in 2010.

Those picks made it easier for John Elway to convince then free agent QB Peyton Manning that he should come to Denver. Speaking of Elway, for his work this offseason in nabbing free agents WR Wes Welker, DT Terrence Knighton, RG Luis Vasquez, and CB Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, he should be named NFL Executive of the Year.

Though Peyton Manning and his prolific WR corp get most of the credit for Denver's phenominal success this season, the Broncos OL are the true, unsung heroes. Peyton was sacked just 18 times all season. On those rare occasions where the opposition has been able to occasionally mess up his hair, the Broncos took their three losses...against Indy, New England, and San Diego. Denver withstood the loss of the man generally considered to be their best OL, LT Ryan Clady. They plugged in LT Chris Clark, and barely missed a beat: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140129_Broncos__offensive_line_instrumental_in_Manning_s_success.html 

If Denver is to win this Sunday, this no touching Peyton policy must continue. Aside from their near flawless pass protection, the Denver OL also produced a 1300 yard rusher in Knowshon Moreno.

So...what can the Seattle defense do to slow down this Denver juggernaut? I suspect that coach Pete Carroll will dust off the film of the NY Giants upset win over the Patriots six years ago....and try to emulate some of the things that the Giants "D" did against Tom Brady's then record breaking offense. Look for the Seahawks to be extremely physical with the Denver receivers at the line of scrimmage, and for them to send some of their pass-rushers up the middle of the line. The idea will be to disrupt the timing between Manning and his receivers,  make him hurry his throws, and force a mistake or two.

On offense, the Seahawks want to run Marshawn Lynch, 24/7. But, judging by the way they played against the Patriots two weeks ago, Denver's two DTs, rookie Sylvester Williams and the Vince Wilfolk-like Knighton, will be substantial obstacles.

Just as Seattle did against the 49ers, look for the mobility of Russell Wilson to become a factor in making plays. Wilson can extend plays, which occasionally sometimes results in a deep completion. Two weeks ago against the 49ers, the Seattle offense did nothing until Wilson found WR Doug Baldwin deep, on a scrambling, extended play. The return of fleet but oft injured WR Percy Harvin could be the wildcard needed to free up the Seattle TEs, and their running game. 

Folks, like the Giants/Patriots game in 2008, this one will be a lower scoring game than expected. Whether the Seattle OL can control Knighton, and whether the Denver OL can pick up the exotic blitzes and stunts that I expect Carroll to throw at them, will be key. Demaryius Thomas v. Richard Sherman will be a classic match-up, which Sherman will win. But, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas will be hard to stop underneath.

How the game is officiated will be huge. If the refs let them play, I like Seattle. But, if Peyton starts getting the ticky-tack PIs and illegal contact calls, I can see the young Seattle team getting frustrated, and making mistakes. But, regardless of what the refs do, the Seahawks must be willing to take a couple of personal foul calls in order to lay down the law with the Denver receivers...and must hit Manning. 

Whatever happens, let's hope that the Seahawks are given a fair shake this time...unlike their last SB appearance against the Steelers. If the spread was 3points or more,I'd take Seattle. But, with just a 2.5 point spread separating these teams, and having little faith in the integrity of NFL officials in a Peyton Manning game: PICK: Broncos.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: SUPER BOWL Analysis and Prediction

Fantastic write up TP!! Bravo, Sir!

I agree, Elway has done very well helping put together this team for a couple of title runs before Manning rides off into the sunset.  

Now for the game.. I think this game is going to be a very good and entertaining game.  As you mentioned, I think Russell Wilson running ability is going to be huge in this game.  With his mobility and being able to extend plays and run the ball, this is key to really opening up the pass and run game against the Broncos defense.  I think Lynch is a dynamic powerful back and while the Denver D might stuff him early, he will break off some good runs as the game goes on... because Wilson will have the defense guessing. They won't know if Wilson is running, passing or handing the ball off.  The Denver defense is going to get flustered and tired. Lynch will end up with 100 rushing yards, mostly coming in the 2nd half.

It is going to be cold.  Manning is going to struggle as the game goes on and the colder it gets.  I look for Manning to start the game with a few $hort passes then quickly move to going for the mid to deeper throws.  As the temps start to drop he will make some mistakes (2 int's) and then he will be forced to go to the $hort passing game the rest of the night.  By then it will be all over and the Broncos won't be able to catch up.

I don't think Denver will be able to run the ball against the Seahawks at all.

I'm looking at a Seahawks win 34-17, maybe even 34-20.  It will be close to start the 3rd qtr, that is when Manning starts making mistakes (2 int's) and by the 4th qtr the Seahawks will be running away with it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I do think the '07 SB is a good parallel, although Seattle's defense is better than the NYG defense was. Front seven is just as good and the backfield is much better.

From a football perspective (leaving out officiating), the key is can Seattle move the ball on Denver's D, will they stick with the ground game when they (predictably) get s h u t down early and will they force Manning to turn it over?

I think they will stick to the ground game because that's their MO; they don't have much choice. They will be able to run on Denver, they ran on SF and Denver is not SF. 

Manning hasn't faced a defense as good as these guys, and they really didn't score points in bunches the past few weeks, like they did earlier (another parallel to the '07 Pats, they had a similar game against Philip Rivers-led Chargers). I do think he'll have some success with the s h o r t stuff, in the middle of the field (i.e., Welker and JThomas), but if they force him to throw sideline stuff, he'll get picked. I don't see how Denver can run the ball on them very much, but they'll try. 

My prediction, Seattle falls behind 10-0 or 13-3, something like that. They keep feeding Lynch and they wear down the Denver front 7, Wilson has a couple of well-timed runs, scrambling type passes that drive a defense crazy, and they even it up by the end of the first half. Second half, Manning throws two picks. Seattle possesses the ball for 38 minutes.

Seattle 26-17. Lynch is MVP, 140 yds, 2 TDs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

My prediction, Seattle falls behind 10-0 or 13-3, something like that. They keep feeding Lynch and they wear down the Denver front 7, Wilson has a couple of well-timed runs, scrambling type passes that drive a defense crazy, and they even it up by the end of the first half. Second half, Manning throws two picks. Seattle possesses the ball for 38 minutes.

I like your thinking!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I like your thinking!

Well, thanks. I have to admit it's partly wishful thinking. I hope it goes that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm looking at a Seahawks win 34-17, maybe even 34-20.  It will be close to start the 3rd qtr, that is when Manning starts making mistakes (2 int's) and by the 4th qtr the Seahawks will be running away with it.

[/QUOTE]

can we still count on Manning choking? i say no.

can it still happen? certainly.

but i wouldnt count on the big pick by PM.

but I do think SEA can win with a steady dose of Lynch and good managing by Wilson. and if the LEgion of Boom can jam up PM's WRs

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Having Harvin for a relief valve, will be huge for Wilson. Who's going to stop PH when he gets to the second level? That's a relief valve with big play potential. 

The only play Denver D has is to take a gamble and let Tate get behind the DBs. Not a very good idea against a QB who can throw well on the run.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I also think PM throws at least 3 INTs on this one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I also think PM throws at least 3 INTs on this one.

Seattle must be physical with the Broncos. If they rough Denver up, you may see the three Peyton picks. The Seahawks don't necessarily have to sack Peyton to be effective. They just need to make him hurry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Seattle must be physical with the Broncos. If they rough Denver up, you may see the three Peyton picks. The Seahawks don't necessarily have to sack Peyton to be effective. They just need to make him hurry.

====================================

I agree with Texas Pat that even without a sack he must be pressured and they must get in his head that he could be sacked and he could toss up picks. Manning, like Brady, is deadly when not hurried and he'll find an open man whether Seahawks have 6-7 men back & he only has 3 receivers.

Seattle must watch Pats loss---they had no hits, no hurries, no sacks etc. They must win the battle upfront. Manning does not scramble & does not like to be sacked so he can toss picks but he must be pressured so blitzes must be called even if they get burned occasionally. Versus Pats they made many 3rd downs and Brady had 10 less minutes.  Also, Seattle needs the Beast to run for 100 yards+ and keep Denver off the field.

Peyton breaks picks & sack records thwarted by Icicles !!! 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In the aftermath of the Pats' disappointing 26-16 loss in the AFC Title game, many of us just want this season to just "go away". If you're like me, you feel that it would be a complete disaster if the hated Horseface rides off into the SB sunset with a second ring, and surely an accompanying SB MVP award, regardless of whether or not it's merited. Then, the media staged Peyton love-feast thereafter will be both non-stop, and nauseating. So, let's don those "I love Richard Sherman" tee-shirts, and grab those sickly blue green pom-poms, and hope for a Seattle slew performance this Sunday. Below is my analysis of the upcoming game, and my prediction:

(15-3) Seattle Seahawks (+2.5) vs. (15-3) Denver Broncos: To this day, the media pokes fun at the Josh McDaniels era in Denver, from 2009-10. They  primarily point to his using the 25th overall pick in 2010 to draft QB Tim Tebow. But, what the media fails to mention is that Josh also drafted RB Knowshown Moreno and DE Robert Ayers in 2009, and OG Zane Beadles, LT Chris Clark (claimed off the waiver wire after being released by the Minnesota Vikings in 2010), along with WRs Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, in 2010.

Those picks made it easier for John Elway to convince then free agent QB Peyton Manning that he should come to Denver. Speaking of Elway, for his work this offseason in nabbing free agents WR Wes Welker, DT Terrence Knighton, RG Luis Vasquez, and CB Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, he should be named NFL Executive of the Year.

Though Peyton Manning and his prolific WR corp get most of the credit for Denver's phenominal success this season, the Broncos OL are the true, unsung heroes. Peyton was sacked just 18 times all season. On those rare occasions where the opposition has been able to occasionally mess up his hair, the Broncos took their three losses...against Indy, New England, and San Diego. Denver withstood the loss of the man generally considered to be their best OL, LT Ryan Clady. They plugged in LT Chris Clark, and barely missed a beat: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140129_Broncos__offensive_line_instrumental_in_Manning_s_success.html 

If Denver is to win this Sunday, this no touching Peyton policy must continue. Aside from their near flawless pass protection, the Denver OL also produced a 1300 yard rusher in Knowshon Moreno.

So...what can the Seattle defense do to slow down this Denver juggernaut? I suspect that coach Pete Carroll will dust off the film of the NY Giants upset win over the Patriots six years ago....and try to emulate some of the things that the Giants "D" did against Tom Brady's then record breaking offense. Look for the Seahawks to be extremely physical with the Denver receivers at the line of scrimmage, and for them to send some of their pass-rushers up the middle of the line. The idea will be to disrupt the timing between Manning and his receivers,  make him hurry his throws, and force a mistake or two.

On offense, the Seahawks want to run Marshawn Lynch, 24/7. But, judging by the way they played against the Patriots two weeks ago, Denver's two DTs, rookie Sylvester Williams and the Vince Wilfolk-like Knighton, will be substantial obstacles.

Just as Seattle did against the 49ers, look for the mobility of Russell Wilson to become a factor in making plays. Wilson can extend plays, which occasionally sometimes results in a deep completion. Two weeks ago against the 49ers, the Seattle offense did nothing until Wilson found WR Doug Baldwin deep, on a scrambling, extended play. The return of fleet but oft injured WR Percy Harvin could be the wildcard needed to free up the Seattle TEs, and their running game. 

Folks, like the Giants/Patriots game in 2008, this one will be a lower scoring game than expected. Whether the Seattle OL can control Knighton, and whether the Denver OL can pick up the exotic blitzes and stunts that I expect Carroll to throw at them, will be key. Demaryius Thomas v. Richard Sherman will be a classic match-up, which Sherman will win. But, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas will be hard to stop underneath.

How the game is officiated will be huge. If the refs let them play, I like Seattle. But, if Peyton starts getting the ticky-tack PIs and illegal contact calls, I can see the young Seattle team getting frustrated, and making mistakes. But, regardless f what the refs do, the Seahawks must be willing to take a couple of personal foul calls in order to lay down the law with the Denver receivers...and must hit Manning. 

Whatever happens, let's hope that the Seahawks are given a fair shake this time...unlike their last SB appearance against the Steelers. If the spread was 3points or more,I'd take Seattle. But, with just a 2.5 point spread separating these teams, and having little faith in the integrity of NFL officials in a Peyton Manning game: PICK: Broncos.

DENVER 27  SEATTLE 17

PEYTON MVP

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

How the game is officiated will be huge. If the refs let them play, I like Seattle. But, if Peyton starts getting the ticky-tack PIs and illegal contact calls, I can see the young Seattle team getting frustrated, and making mistakes. But, regardless f what the refs do, the Seahawks must be willing to take a couple of personal foul calls in order to lay down the law with the Denver receivers...and must hit Manning. 

TEX u gotta stop this crap about the refs and the NFL giving things to Peyton-it's petty, it's ridiculous, it's sore loser-ish and it makes u look like the Pats fans everybody despises

you are better than that and i didn't expect this nonsense from you

and i hope u don't spend all game Sunday thinking every call is purposely giuven to denver to take away from a Manning win if that occurs but u probably will

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Really do not have a horse in this game.  Honestly couldn't care less who wins.  If it is Seattle, excited for the fact a NEW team enters the hall of SB winning teams.  If the Broncos win, regardless of how, all credit will go to Manning somehow, there will be a Manning love fest for the entire off-season and crowning him the GoaT for having won his SECOND SB. (I wonder if Montana may secretly bristle at this) Will the media recommend him for sainthood, too?  (-;

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Offense wins games, Defense wins championships!   So Seattle 27 Denver 24, in a tight game throughout. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Seattle only trailed other teams four times this whole season, and two of those happened on their opponents' last possessions.  They gave up more than 24 only once all season, and that was to Indy, who put up 34 and beat them.  

So no offense, but how do people see Denver putting up 27?  Seattle's defense is much better than Denver's offense.  

The only way this team will fall behind is if Denver wins the toss, takes the ball and scores on their opening possession.  Russell Martin isn't nearly the QB that Peyton is, but he doesn't have to be to beat this Bronco's defense.  Ground or passing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Seattle wins

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

tex...  I didnt have to read your entire analysis since i knew you were going denver.  You tend to like the favorites.  There is a chance denver can get some yards but it was a bit too easy against the arrington and dennard midget show that belichick drew up.  So not very likely to go like that against #1 D seattle.

You saw it here first....  Seattle in a blowout. Here's how and why:

Pete Carroll will implement a successful , innovative and resourceful game plan.  On defense they will dare Peyton to throw the ball and pick off a couple wobblers that are certain to happen in cold weather with an old QB who grips it too tight.   Seattle will mix up their stunts and confuse the Oline of Denver while getting some sacks and controlling the run.  basically shutting down a frustrated    manning.

On offense you will see a strategy to get Denver's fat guys running around on first down chasing Wilson's roll outs, then a steady diet of marshawn on 2nd down.  This combination will loosen up and expose denvers defensive weaknesses.  Wilson will extend plays and hit guys running free.  He will also run for an easy 60-80 yards with hapless DLs chasing him.  lynch will get 150 plus on the ground.

This game isn't close.  It will be Pete Carroll's day with Wilson getting MVP although it should go to a defensive player. 34-10

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

tex...  I didnt have to read your entire analysis since i knew you were going denver.  You tend to like the favorites.  There is a chance denver can get some yards but it was a bit too easy against the arrington and dennard midget show that belichick drew up.  So not very likely to go like that against #1 D seattle.

You saw it here first....  Seattle in a blowout. Here's how and why:

Pete Carroll will implement a successful , innovative and resourceful game plan.  On defense they will dare Peyton to throw the ball and pick off a couple wobblers that are certain to happen in cold weather with an old QB who grips it too tight.   Seattle will mix up their stunts and confuse the Oline of Denver while getting some sacks and controlling the run.  basically shutting down a frustrated    manning.

On offense you will see a strategy to get Denver's fat guys running around on first down chasing Wilson's roll outs, then a steady diet of marshawn on 2nd down.  This combination will loosen up and expose denvers defensive weaknesses.  Wilson will extend plays and hit guys running free.  He will also run for an easy 60-80 yards with hapless DLs chasing him.  lynch will get 150 plus on the ground.

This game isn't close.  It will be Pete Carroll's day with Wilson getting MVP although it should go to a defensive player. 34-10

Hope you're right. I'm not guaranteeing a Denver win, but, with just a 2.5 point spread, it's not enough for me to take Seattle.

As I stated in my original post in this thread, I suspect that Pete Carroll will employ a strategy similar to what the Giants did to shut-down the Patriots offense in SB 42. If Seattle can pressure Manning enough to make him hurry and rough up his receivers, they should be able to disrupt Denver's passing game.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

How the game is officiated will be huge. If the refs let them play, I like Seattle. But, if Peyton starts getting the ticky-tack PIs and illegal contact calls, I can see the young Seattle team getting frustrated, and making mistakes. But, regardless of what the refs do, the Seahawks must be willing to take a couple of personal foul calls in order to lay down the law with the Denver receivers...and must hit Manning. 

TEX u gotta stop this crap about the refs and the NFL giving things to Peyton-it's petty, it's ridiculous, it's sore loser-ish and it makes u look like the Pats fans everybody despises

RESPONSE: Sorry...but that's how I see it. Manning's teams get a lot of calls. The league changed it's rules dramatically to benefit Manning and his Colts back in 2004

and i hope u don't spend all game Sunday thinking every call is purposely giuven to denver to take away from a Manning win if that occurs but u probably will

RESPONSE: Do you recall the fiasco that was SB 40...and how the Seahawks were hosed by the refs? That game was handed to the Steelers. My hope is that, whoever wins, that the refs won't play major role in deciding the game.     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I am a Pats fan, Not a Brady fan, Not a Manning fan, not a fan of any individual player in the league or any other team. Sure, I strongly prefer Brady to Manning but that is my subjective opinion and that is extent of it. It is a team game and I have 1 team.

Rooting against Denver and Manning is useless as that creates an equal and opposite reaction. More attention, is given to them by media and fans. Animosity is created which comes back later towards me and the Pats. 

Both Seattle and Denver deserve my respect. They are both good teams and made it to the big game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

I am a Pats fan, Not a Brady fan, Not a Manning fan, not a fan of any individual player in the league or any other team. Sure, I strongly prefer Brady to Manning but that is my subjective opinion and that is extent of it. It is a team game and I have 1 team.

Rooting against Denver and Manning is useless as that creates an equal and opposite reaction. More attention, is given to them by media and fans. Animosity is created which comes back later towards me and the Pats. 

Both Seattle and Denver deserve my respect. They are both good teams and made it to the big game. 

"...Rooting against Denver and Manning is useless as that creates an equal and opposite reaction. More attention, is given to them by media and fans. Animosity is created which comes back later towards me and the Pats...."

What in the world are you talking about?? No one is arguing about Denver and Seattle being good teams. In fact, both were unquestionably the two best teams in the NFL this season. But, if you are a Pats fan, you'll recall how the 2006 AFC title game in Indy was stolen from the Pats, and gift wrapped by the refs for Poster Boy Peyton. You'll also recall how the Colts whined after losing in 2003 and 2004 to the Patriots...and got the rules changed in order to gain a competitive advantage. Then, we had to listen to all that "not in out house" garbage from frustrated Colts fans, after the Pats lost SB 46 to the Giants, in Indy. 

Sorry...but as a Pats fan, I cannot bring myself to root for Peyton Manning...ever.

Today on Mike and Mike, Colin Kaepernick was asked if he was rooting for Seattle in the SB, since they were a team in his division, had beaten his 49ers in the NFC Title game, and after Kaepernick had claimed to have some friends on the Seattle team. His response...NO WAY.

That's what rivalries are all about.  

Sections
Shortcuts