Super Bowl in London?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

Re: Super Bowl in London?

[QUOTE]Well said. I might also add, Whatever happened to tradition? It is what most cultures are founded on. Thats whats wrong with alot of the world these days. The almighty dollar wins out wayyyy too much. PatsFanUK, just out of curiousity,   what do you think hardcore British soccer fans would do if they started to talk about moving the championship game to the US?
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

To suggest that there would be uproar if a major game e.g. FA Cup Final was moved to the US would be the understatement of the century - to the point that it would never be discussed in the first place.

Soccer is a religion over here - and to send a big game like that to the "colonies" (as our media would no doubt suggest) would go down as well as a bout of herpes...

There has been discussion recently regarding adding another Premier League game to the season in order to play it abroad, resulting in 10 games being scattered across the globe over the course of the season (what with there being 20 Premier League teams). This by itself makes no sense (creating an imbalance since the league has everyone play each other home and away), and was received with overwhelming derision by supporters across the board.

Hosting the SB anywhere outside the US cheapens it in my opinion - and while it may help grow the sport's global popularity, it would only serve to alienate the one fan base that provided it with its foundations in the first place (much like has happened with our Premier Leauge in recent years - it is built far more for television now than for the fan who actually goes to games, more's the pity...).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know about you guys,but I dont think this is right.its bad enough there has to be a season game there.if anything maybe the pro-bowl,and some pre-season games.leave the season games here.and the super bowl definately belongs only here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/8016358.stm
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] well i can see they are not letting this die.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/101471-report-nfl-promises-super-bowl-in-london?eref=fromSI

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Until England gets their own Pro football team, they have no business hosting a Superbowl.  Keep it in America where it belongs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedcoat. Show TheRedcoat's posts

Like PatsFanUK I come over for a Pats game twice a year and love the game.

I'm always made to feel welcome and next might wear my Redcoat outfit just to see how much of a sense of humour you rebels may have!

Seriously though, on no way in heaven and earth does the superbowl belong outside the US. You'd be welcome and a good time would be had by one and all, but you wait, the Olympics will be a joke, the whole project is already a national disgrace, and after that their is no way the NFL (even Goodell) would stage a Super Bowl here.

You guys keep the super bowl where it should be...in the USA. Dont send us a Franchise either. It'll be a huge success year one and then start to die off from year 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Like PatsFanUK I come over for a Pats game twice a year and love the game. I'm always made to feel welcome and next might wear my Redcoat outfit just to see how much of a sense of humour you rebels may have! Seriously though, on no way in heaven and earth does the superbowl belong outside the US. You'd be welcome and a good time would be had by one and all, but you wait, the Olympics will be a joke, the whole project is already a national disgrace, and after that their is no way the NFL (even Goodell) would stage a Super Bowl here. You guys keep the super bowl where it should be...in the USA. Dont send us a Franchise either. It'll be a huge success year one and then start to die off from year 2.
    Posted by TheRedcoat[/QUOTE]

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/06/london-super-bowl-in-2017/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

As a devout nationalist, protectionist and isolationist, the thought of a Super Bowl being played anywhere other than the U.S. disgust me.  How any fan can support this or regular season games being played outside the U.S. really disturbs me. Hell, if it were up to me foreign born athletes wouldn't be allowed to play in our professional leagues.  This will probably happen in the near future and as much as I will miss watching my beloved Steelers, I will be through with the NFL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]As a devout nationalist, protectionist and isolationist, the thought of a Super Bowl being played anywhere other than the U.S. disgust me.  How any fan can support this or regular season games being played outside the U.S. really disturbs me. Hell, if it were up to me foreign born athletes wouldn't be allowed to play in our professional leagues.  This will probably happen in the near future and as much as I will miss watching my beloved Steelers, I will be through with the NFL.
    Posted by steelerjim58[/QUOTE]

Hines Ward should go then right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't know what constitutes "substantive talks" in the cluttered mind of this Tim Love guy (whoever he is), but talking to Dan Patrick in Sports Illustrated last week, Goodell said, "Every time we go over there, the people in London, including the mayor and even the prime minister, have talked about, 'Boy it'd be great to have the Super Bowl here.' But we haven't had any significant discussions about that."

Maybe we can get underdogg and zbellino (or TexasPat) in here to argue over the semantical difference between "substantive talks" and "significant discussions."

On second thought . . .

Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]well i can see they are not letting this die. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/101471-report-nfl-promises-super-bowl-in-london?eref=fromSI
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] whats wrong with these guys?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/08/sportingnewscom-ten-reasons-to-like-a-london-super-bowl/

Sections
Shortcuts