Super Bowl XXXVIII

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Super Bowl XXXVIII

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

SB XXXIX:

First two offensive series stalled and resulted in punts.

First two defensive series resulted in 3-and-outs. 

That's good.  Different era.  If you hit a QB today, it's a foul.  No one is thinking McNabb and those WRs are anywhere near the depth and quality of what we just saw in this SB either. Flacco is actually a better passer and it's also an easier era to pass in via Gooodell.

You can't compare the eras. 

In SB 42, NE held to 6 points in the second half, while our offense scored only 7.

Different era? This was 8 years ago...

They weren't illegally hitting McNabb... they were pressuring him, forcing bad throws, and sacking him. No late hits, no dirty hits.

And FWIW, they've called a defensive holding and an illegal contact penalty thus far. These rules were in place back then... perhaps enforced with less vigor, but they existed and were called. It's a silly excuse to use. They were simply BETTER back then. More talented, more physical... better at covering receivers and rushing the passer. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

OMG! They just went 5-wide, shotgun for the second time! How did they possibly win this game?!

Was Brady staring down just 1 or 2 options? lmao

Answer: No he wasn't Was a run game established with playaction?  lmao

Also, those formations were somewhat new at that time. The plays we run now are essentially the same ones we've run for over 6 years.

The run game wasn't established. They had run the ball I believe 3 times up to this point (2:22 left in the 1st quarter) and had probably gained ~6-9 yards total on the ground. They had run ONE screen-pass for 2 yards. 

On that 5-wide play, Brady overthrew a receiver.

The offense really wasn't doing great at all. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Offensive three-and-out, another punt... Third punt on the day, third punt in the 1st-quarter. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Eagles just ran a screen, Westbrook was still around the L.O.S.; not 5 yards down the field. Ball had yet to enter the air, and Phifer just absolutely crushed Westbrook as he was running out, waiting for the pass... killed him. Love to see that. 

Based on the rules I'm aware of, I'd have to imagine that's still legal today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

OMG! They just went 5-wide, shotgun for the second time! How did they possibly win this game?!

Also, those formations were somewhat new at that time. The plays we run now are essentially the same ones we've run for over 6 years.

The run game wasn't established. They had run the ball I believe 3 times up to this point (2:22 left in the 1st quarter) and had probably gained ~6-9 yards total on the ground. They had run ONE screen-pass for 2 yards. 

Which SB are you babbling about? 38 or 39? I am well aware that the offenses in each took time to get going.

Dude, NE's D allowed ONE TD to the Giants in the first half last year.

I'm not talking about New England's defense right now.

It's clear to me that they were much better back then,but in that particular post I was simply stating that I'm not seeing this oft-spoken of 'physical', 'efficient' offense. 

Brady looks mediocre thus far, the o-line looks soft, the TEs are nonexistant, and the running game isn't offering much. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Another offensive 3-and-out and another punt. Four punts in the game thus far and the 2nd-quarter just started.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Was that the same defense that gave up three 4th quarter TDs to Jake Delhomme? Yes Jake Delhomme, whose game bore a strong resemblance to the current QB of the NYJ. I agree with you re the need for secondary depth, but let's not romanticize ye olde defense too much.

exactly, people act as if our defense back then was like the 85 bears....its ridiculous. we had a similar defense as we do now, bend but dont break/opportunistic defense. they relied on turnovers similar to how they do now......flacco and the ravens didnt turn the ball over once....the pats turned it over three times...theres your ballgame.

ur old D gives up the winning td drive in the last 3 mins twice in the SB? hmmmm....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

ur old D gives up the winning td drive in the last 3 mins twice in the SB? hmmmm...

2001, Patriots led 17-3 4th quarter. Rams tie it up 17-17 with 1:30 remaining.

2003, Patriots led 21-10 4th quarter. Panthers tie it up 29-29 with 1:08 remaining.

2007, Patriots led 14-10 4th quarter. Giants go up 17-14 with :35 remaining.

2010, Patriots led 17-15 4th quarter. Giants go up 21-17 with :57 remaining.

Brady just didn't have enough time the last two tries.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Which SB are you babbling about? 38 or 39? I am well aware that the offenses in each took time to get going.

Dude, NE's D allowed ONE TD to the Giants in the first half last year.

I'm not talking about New England's defense right now.

It's clear to me that they were much better back then,but in that particular post I was simply stating that I'm not seeing this oft-spoken of 'physical', 'efficient' offense. 

Brady looks mediocre thus far, the o-line looks soft, the TEs are nonexistant, and the running game isn't offering much. 

Did you see the offense panic in SB 38 and SB 39 or did you see Brady turn it over, them not stick with the run and not play the field position game until they broke through?

They did ALL THOSE THINGS.

Case closed.

Brady threw an interception in the Panthers game which killed a drive. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

We also had LBs back then that were consistent in coverage. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

ur old D gives up the winning td drive in the last 3 mins twice in the SB? hmmmm...

2001, Patriots led 17-3 4th quarter. Rams tie it up 17-17 with 1:30 remaining.

2003, Patriots led 21-10 4th quarter. Panthers tie it up 29-29 with 1:08 remaining.

2007, Patriots led 14-10 4th quarter. Giants go up 17-14 with :35 remaining.

2010, Patriots led 17-15 4th quarter. Giants go up 21-17 with :57 remaining.

Brady just didn't have enough time the last two tries.

just curious b/c i do not remember: in those earlier SB's how much time was left when rams  and panthers started their drives to tie game ?

if i remember correctly 07 giants had about 2:30 and 11 maybe 3:00?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

just curious b/c i do not remember: in those earlier SB's how much time was left when rams and panthers started their drives to tie game?

if i remember correctly 07 giants had about 2:30 and 11 maybe 3:00?

St Louis started their game tying drive at their 45 yard line with 1:51 remaining.
    They scored in 21 seconds.
    Carolina started their game tying drive at their 19 yard line with 2:44 remaining.
    They scored in 96 seconds.

07 Giants started their game winning drive at 2:42.
    11 Giants started their game winning drive at 3:46.