Surprise cuts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Surprise cuts

After looking at some of the predictions for the 53 man roster I am adding my surprise cuts. 

Gary Guyton:  Dana Fletcher is outplaying him.  If Spikes is healthy, Guyton may be cut.  White is a better special teams player than guyton

Branch:  In his last year of his contract.  He becomes expendable becouse of Chad and Price.  I think the choice will come down to keeping Edelman or Branch.  Edelman is a better backup for Welker.  Tate was a 3rd round pick with speed potential.  Branch is only capable of about 12 games per year. Time to think of the future as well as the present.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Re: Surprise cuts

My bet is with Haynesworth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I think you're both wrong.

Guyton has great speed for sub packages and Fletcher is the only other LB with the same traits.  So you really need both for depth when you think about it.

Branch cannot be cut because I see Branch, Chad, and Welker as the top 3.  Price is still learning.  It comes down to Edleman and Tate of the WR's to be cut, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them all stick.  Possible one gets cut.

Haynesworth WILL BE comeback player of the year.  So I wouldn't listen to a philly fan.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Yeah...I think Vick will be cut for the Eagles!  Go Vince Young!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

shalise manza young 
     Mike Reiss 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Haskinshall. Show Haskinshall's posts

I didn't even dare to mention his name as a prospective cut on this board, but within the receiver group I would pick Branch, definitely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

so it begins.  gonna be painful cutdowns for the pats this year

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In the second version of ESPNBoston.com's 53-man roster projections, the following players appeared on only one of two rosters: 

Mark Anderson -- Veteran defensive end showed up as a pass rusher in the first half of the preseason opener, his strong outside rush leading to Landon Cohen's sack. He could be this year's Tully Banta-Cain, coming on to the field on third down to rush the passer. 

Sergio Brown -- Second-year safety spent part of his 2010 rookie season on the practice squad before being promoted. He is a strong special teams player. 

Darius Butler -- Third-year cornerback has struggled in camp, but with second-round pick Ras-I Dowling still sidelined, the Patriots might be reluctant to part ways with him at this point. 

Bret Lockett -- Backup safety brings added value on special teams, where he could be a "Big 4" contributor on kickoff returns, punt returns, kickoff coverage and punt coverage. 

Steve Maneri -- The Patriots liked Maneri enough to give him a spot on their 53-man roster coming out of training camp last year, claiming him on waivers from the Texans. He's a college tight end who has made the transition to offensive tackle. He played every snap in the preseason opener. 

Sammy Morris -- Twelve-year veteran is a versatile option and helps on special teams. But one line of thinking is that a fifth running back is a luxury the Patriots can't afford if they're going to stock up at receiver. 

Rich Ohrnberger -- The 2009 fourth-round pick has been working as the backup center behind Dan Koppen. At 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, he isn't big for the position, but he's a scrappy player. 

Gerard Warren -- Now in his 11th season, and second with the Patriots, veteran defensive end offers flexibility with his ability to play 3-4 end while kicking inside to tackle on a more traditional four-man line. 

Tracy White -- One of the faster players on the roster, the linebacker finished second on the team in special teams tackles in 2010.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Surprise cuts:
    I didn't even dare to mention his name as a prospective cut on this board, but within the receiver group I would pick Branch, definitely.
    Posted by Haskinshall

Brady has too much trust in him.  If he gets hurt then more reps for Price, and Tate.

I just don't see much change coming at the WR position. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Here's my blockbuster prediction: 

1.  He won't be cut but Hoyer will be traded before summer is over!  With so many superb players on this roster and not wanting to part ways with many of them, having three QB's is a luxury we can't afford right now.  Mallat showing enough promise to take the risk!

2.  All signs point to Butler and Merriweather going bye bye.  Dowling needs to get on the field soon!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

My bet is with Haynesworth.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

And you'd be begging Andy Reid to sing him up if the Pats cut him, let's be truthful here.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Surprise cuts : And you'd be begging Andy Reid to sing him up if the Pats cut him, let's be truthful here.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I truly do not understand the hate.    If the eagles got him it would be 'all over' I'm sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

people like categories.  haynesworth currently fits neatly into the "complete bum" category.  him (possibly) getting his head right and playing to his prodigious talents makes that category messy.

it also speaks to BB's personal skills, which also is an inconvenient fit for many.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Surprise cuts:
    After looking at some of the predictions for the 53 man roster I am adding my surprise cuts.  Gary Guyton:  Dana Fletcher is outplaying him.  If Spikes is healthy, Guyton may be cut.  White is a better special teams player than guyton Branch:  In his last year of his contract.  He becomes expendable becouse of Chad and Price.  I think the choice will come down to keeping Edelman or Branch.  Edelman is a better backup for Welker.  Tate was a 3rd round pick with speed potential.  Branch is only capable of about 12 games per year. Time to think of the future as well as the present.
    Posted by msteven

Guyton and FLetcher are playing different positions. Fletcher is playing Spikes' role.

Branch wil not be released. He is to much in synch with the passing offense. I think a cut would be from Slater (good special teams), Tate (good kick returner but with the new rules this will not help him as much as in the past), or Edelmen (very good punt returner, needing to see him take a meaningful step in becoming a reliable WR - routes, hands, etc.).

THe cuts on the DLine will be interesting. Anderson looked goo das a pass rusher but horrible against the run - TBC on steroids. But if you want pass rush... Wondering how much leeway Brace has. He was starting to look better before he got hurt. Wondering how much patience staff have with him. Will he be an IR player and so not have to be cut - giving him one last chance?

Wondering if Butler is gone. Just did not like what I saw last week.

I think IR will play a role in who gets cut. I suppose this is not a surprise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Surprise cuts:
    .  Gary Guyton:  Dana Fletcher is outplaying him.  Posted by msteven

It's DANE Fletcher. How can you get these players names wrong?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Albert Haynesworth will be on the Patriots roster & be an animal...teamed up next to Big Vince I believe the entire group of QB's that have to face them just collectively soiled themselves....

Fantasy players would be wise to draft the Patriots D fairly early this year...gonna get them a TON of points on a weekly basis!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

McCheaters not every pats fan is sold on  Haynesworth till he proves himself   and stays out of trouble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

I still got the notion its going to be a moss situation all over agian,hope iam wrong but these guys dont change over night.They just pull the wool over peoples eyes for awhile then the truth comes out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

People hate on Guyton but I like him. He is good for 1 or 2 big games a year like the Bears game last season. He is great in coverage and if we use the 4-3 more this season he will look better in a 4-3 then in a 3-4. So I dont see him being cut. He is cheap as well.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Guyton is good, and he'll be even better in a 4 man front. Playing 4-3 WOLB is is natural position I think. We are already thin at LB, no cuts amongst the core, which in my mind is Mayo, Nink, Spikes, Fletcher, Guyton, Cunningham. These guys should all be safe.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

I still got the notion its going to be a moss situation all over agian,hope iam wrong but these guys dont change over night.They just pull the wool over peoples eyes for awhile then the truth comes out.
    Posted by lippa

a moss situation all over again? you do realize moss was a great teammate and RECORD BREAKING receiver while in NE right?

jesus, ur one negative dude.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Not negative just realistic yes he did good thingss here till the end,then went down fast,if he just kept his mouth shut and played he might still be here.Its all good till he doesnt get his way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Not negative just realistic yes he did good thingss here till the end,then went down fast,if he just kept his mouth shut and played he might still be here.Its all good till he doesnt get his way.
    Posted by lippa

And he regrets it I am sure. But show some faith in BB and the Pats decision in bringing him in. 

Sections
Shortcuts