surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft?

In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : We'll just have to disagree on that point.  When he stands in the pocket and throws, the QB he brings most to mind is Byron Leftwich, except without as much arm strength.  Very slow, mechanical delivery.  Has a real problem with the out routes that are essential in the pros.  I see a running back who can pass the ball out of a wildcat or other motion type formation.  If they want an NFL arm to groom behind Brady, better off looking at Tony Pike.  Matt Grothe can do about everything Tebow can do and he'll probably go undrafted.  He just didn't have a comparable supporting cast (and he got hurt).
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Grothe is 6-1 205, Tebow is 6-3 245, that pretty much ends that comparison.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : It was a shoddy, unspectacular, yet non-derisive towards yourself in any way attempt at humor...(it's Friday and near quitting time, ya know) ;^)
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Cheers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : Agreed. Grothe is 6-1 205, Tebow is 6-3 245, that pretty much ends that comparison.  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Drew Brees is 6 feet (with his spikes on).  Yes, Tebow has good size (and speed) for a FB.  On talent alone, he's a 5th round pick.  Reputation will get him picked much higher.  Grothe and Tebow have the same limitations when it comes to being a QB, mostly arm strength. 

But, it's all opinion at this point, so we'll see. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : Drew Brees is 6 feet (with his spikes on).  Yes, Tebow has good size (and speed) for a FB.  On talent alone, he's a 5th round pick.  Reputation will get him picked much higher.  Grothe and Tebow have the same limitations when it comes to being a QB, mostly arm strength.  But, it's all opinion at this point, so we'll see. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

You said that Grothe could do the same things Tebow could do, I argued that size would make that impossible.  Neither of them are Drew Brees, he's a pure pocket guy, top 3 QB in the NFL.

Tebow has a strong arm that needs refining.

I agree, fun to debate though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

If they drafted Tebow to be the SECOND QB in a TWO-QB formation, then it could work.

Tebow might not have a great arm, but he places throws where only his receivers can catch them and he's smart.  Those two factors alone separate him from guys like JaMarcus Russell who have cannon arms but do no better than a JUGS machine.

In a 2-QB formation, Tebow would only have to make enough throws to make defenses pay for stacking the box against his running skills.  If he could also block and catch passes, it would make for one heck of an offensive innovation.  Vick might be able to do something like this if Reid has a pair, although I don't see Vick blocking in pass pro.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This is precisely why ESPN is useless and they charge money for that trash. Not a chance that Belichick would want to draft a quarterback that high and pay him that kind of cash to sit on the bench. Look at the rounds he took Brady and Cassell. If you draft a qb like Tebow he's going to be riding the pine for years at a huge wasted salary. Ndamukong Suh, DT from Nebraska is the kind of guy that Belichick would think is worth paying. This guy is a man amongst boys in college and the type of guy BB loves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Okay lets see the Bradys time is running down and we need at top QB and that is Tim Tebow so get over it he is a top player and he is good so he is going to be the face of the franchise with wes welker locked up in New England is till he retiers pretty much so yea Tim Tebow is a good pick

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

I think getting a high pick guy who has concussion Issues is a lost cause.
    especially as a H Back or WildCat QB where he is going to get whammed and brady the best player in the league on the bench.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

i kind of like Tebow, but i don't see him being first-round successful in the NFL.  watching him play in the SEC, his speed is barely good enough there.  forget it in the NFL.  he isn't exactly Wes Welker or Devin Hester (heck i don't even think he's Edelman) when it comes to quickness and agility either.  not even close, he's a north/south runner.  then strength, yeah i guess he is kind of strong, but he rarely runs through people even in the SEC.  i just don't see it.  then forget passing, he throws the ball beyond 10 yards and it's a wounded duck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully45. Show RTSully45's posts

[QUOTE]This is precisely why ESPN is useless and they charge money for that trash. Not a chance that Belichick would want to draft a quarterback that high and pay him that kind of cash to sit on the bench. Look at the rounds he took Brady and Cassell. If you draft a qb like Tebow he's going to be riding the pine for years at a huge wasted salary. Ndamukong Suh, DT from Nebraska is the kind of guy that Belichick would think is worth paying. This guy is a man amongst boys in college and the type of guy BB loves.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Brady was chosen as late as he was because Drew Bledsoe was around.  Cassels was chosen as late as he was because Tom Brady is around.   I think Belichick might conceivably consider a late second or third round pick a worthwhile gamble if he thought Tebow could be an asset (that he could use and/or later trade).   And while Tebow does not have the strongest arm, neither did Brady when he first came into the league.   The Patriots offensive scheme is more based on timing, quick decision making and accuracy anyway.   While I am not a big fan of Tebow, he does seem pretty accurate on the short and intermediate routes (not so much on the deep routes though).   His ability to make quick decisions and not just run at every opportunity is the area he needs to prove himself in to even get Belichick to begin considering gambling on him.  And forget about getting Suh.  He's going in the first 5 picks and BB will NEVER trade up that far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I think getting a high pick guy who has concussion Issues is a lost cause. especially as a H Back or WildCat QB where he is going to get whammed and brady the best player in the league on the bench.
    Posted by msatz76[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, you don't pay top cash for a player like that. You draft him in the 7th round. It doesn't make any sense but ESPN doesn't have to. They just make up a rumor and report it as truth. And don't get me wrong, I like Tebow but at this point the Pats fans no more about what the Patriots are going to do than the media does.And we don't know much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Tebow is the most overrated player in college football.  His delivery is very slow and his mechanics are poor.  Florida lost their OC and Percy Harvin/Murphy Louis in the off-season and Tebow's stats have dropped a ton.  He is making bad decisions and his accuracy is questionable.  He doesn't have the arm strength to make up for the slow delivery, imo. 

I hope and pray that the Pats will not waste a draft pick on him.  He will be nothing unless he's a TE.  He won't be anywhere near a starting QB in the NFL. 

He was made to look like an awesome QB the past couple years due to the speed/talent around him, but once he has lost 2 key playmakers he has gone down hill.  He isn't a 2nd round talent and I don't think he should even be taken in the early 3rd round.  But some team will overvalue him and draft him way ahead of where he should be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

The only thing I can see that may support a go at Tebow by NE is BB's relation with Urban Meyer. The two extremely successful coaches have had an excellent professional relationship since 2005.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]   The only thing I can see that may support a go at Tebow by NE is BB's relation with Urban Meyer. The two extremely successful coaches have had an excellent professional relationship since 2005.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

Agreed cow...IF there's ANY insider-info to be had regarding Tebow's usefulness and skills translated to the Pros, Belichick will have it.  That said (and although in a sort), I hope Belichick gave Meyer his due thanx on the one and only, Chad Jackson...talk about a waste there, that kid was a man-child.  I guess having all the intangibles in the world, size, speed, physique, Don't mean squat IF your head's not in the right place...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : Agreed cow ...IF there's ANY insider-info to be had regarding Tebow's usefulness and skills translated to the Pros, Belichick will have it.  That said (and although in a sort), I hope Belichick gave Meyer his due thanx on the one and only, Chad Jackson...talk about a waste there, that kid was a man-child.  I guess having all the intangibles in the world, size, speed, physique, Don't mean squat IF your head's not in the right place...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

LOL about the Chad Jackson info. I forgot Urban put his stamp of approval on him. Josh gave him another shot in Denver but booted him 2 days later. Something on paper and tape didn't translate to the field. Oh well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

yes tebow would be a surprise pick,but also a wasted pick not only does brady have 5yrs left in him,but i think in time,hoyer will be pretty good,and he is just as quick as tebow,and his passing abilities are just as good,but hoyer even has an edge.he will have a year of the pats system under his belt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

I can tell you this. it wont be tebow.the patriots are set at QB next year.I agree,Hoyer is just as good as tebow,and come next year he will be much better then him.now this year would have been a diffrent reason.to me a surpriseing pick would be a kicker.ghost is on his final year,and he is one of the best kickers out there.so if the pats dont resign him,and draft another? would be surpriseing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I will be sad if we lose Ghost.  He is a young beast of a kicker that can handle the bad weather.  Perfect for us for the next 8+ years IMHO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I've been aruging this possibility for a while now.  Tebow has the chance to change the perception that all teams need a pure pocket passer to succeed.  He won't be Brady or Manning in the pocket, but his size/speed/athleticism/ability to throw (though that needs some refining, which a quality NFL coach can do) will allow him to do things that no other wildcat/spread player in the league can currently do and possibly full time. Will it happen?  Who knows, but the possibility is there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

There's reasons why "running QBs" don't succeed in the NFL. the dog killer was an exception to the rule and he was much more RB than QB. Wasn't vince young supposed to be that guy, too? I don't follow college FB so I can't name names but I know there's been a dozen or more over the years.

maybe this guy would be different but history dsays not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: surpriseing pick by the pats in next years draft? : There's reasons why "running QBs" don't succeed in the NFL. the dog killer was an exception to the rule and he was much more RB than QB. Wasn't vince young supposed to be that guy, too? I don't follow college FB so I can't name names but I know there's been a dozen or more over the years. maybe this guy would be different but history dsays not.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Vince Young has the mentality of a child so it's unfair to compare a mentally strong, accomplished leader like Tebow to him.  Young is supremely talented and athletic, but mentally, he hasn't been able to hack it at the NFL level.  To your point about "running QB's", you're telling me that Steve Young, Vick, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham and Donovan McNabb haven't been successful in the NFL?  Like I've said before, Tebow doesn't come without flaws, he has good arm strength but will need a lot of tweaking to his throwing mechanics/motion as he has a "long delivery" and drops the ball too low when he brings it back which was clearly pointed out by the CBS crew working the game on Saturday.  It's my own personal opinion that he could be a successful QB at the NFL level if given a chance to develop/refine, I'm in the clear minority with this belief, I'm OK with that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Tim Tebow has played football for his entire life and has not developed proper mechanics up to this point, with some of the best coaches in the game at his disposal.  What quarterback with poor mechanics has ever come into the NFL and done a complete 180.  I agree that Tebow has a high football IQ, but only as an HBACK.  We will see, but he will probably want QB draft money.  I agree with the poster that said Edelman was a better prospect.  We all need to remember that Edelman had the best 20 yard short shuttle of all players entering the draft.  I have heard it said that is a great indicator of success and is far more reliable than 40 yard. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Personally I don't know how much tweaking is needed, it could be as simple as not dropping the ball below the numbers (as pointed out on CBS) while dropping back, IDK, I'm not a QB coach and don't claim to know what kind of mechanics coaching he's received.

We're supposed to put more stock into Tebow's 20 yard short shuttle times than his 50+ career rushing TD's in the SEC, which is probably the fastest conference in NCAA?  The combine and all of its tests and drills serve a purpose, but lets not get carried away.....that's the Al Davis method of scouting/drafting.

The 20 yard short shuttle is a great indicator of quickness and COD skills, it's not a great indicator of success. 

Listen to Belichick talk, he's said before that the combine is just another step in the scouting process, used to gather info on a player.  You want a good indicator of success?  Watch the kid play, see what a player does against the highest level of competition. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to unless you plan on having concussion prone Tebow Huh? Get your facts straight moron! Tebow plays in a very competive conference and in 4 years he has had exactly ONE concussion and that came after a knee to the head. Idiot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Tebow has played football for his entire life and has not developed proper mechanics up to this point, with some of the best coaches in the game at his disposal.  What quarterback with poor mechanics has ever come into the NFL and done a complete 180.  I agree that Tebow has a high football IQ, but only as an HBACK.  We will see, but he will probably want QB draft money.  I agree with the poster that said Edelman was a better prospect.  We all need to remember that Edelman had the best 20 yard short shuttle of all players entering the draft.  I have heard it said that is a great indicator of success and is far more reliable than 40 yard. 
    Posted by kittycat6969[/QUOTE]

Great post...  If he throws 60% of his passes for completions at Florida where they have some of the best WR's in college, than he will fall off when it comes to the pros.  You don't refine your mechanics after your senior year and there's no way to fix accuracy...  you either have touch or you don't. 

The thought of a fullback/HBack with some throwing skills intrigues me, but that guy is probably sitting until the end of the draft or goes undrafted altogether.

Frankly I don't believe Hoyer is the answer at backup QB either...

BB places the highest value on shuttle times probably more than any other "stat" after overall production in college and sources like ESPN are clueless, their draft "guru" Mel Kiper had Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins and others as "big reaches" in the first round and Chad Jackson as a can't miss prospect...  Kiper has never played or coached football in his life so he is an expert at what exactly?  I'll give him credit for making the draft an annual event made for TV but I wouldn't go to him for advice in anything other than marketing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to unless you plan on having concussion prone Tebow Huh? Get your facts straight moron! Tebow plays in a very competive conference and in 4 years he has had exactly ONE concussion and that came after a knee to the head. Idiot.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE]

Instead of filling the board with wasted insults on someone who doesn't give a rat's what you think, do some research.

My post had nothing to do with how many concussions he has had. It has to do with the fact that he had one concussion.

One concussion means you are concussion prone-- and there is a seven year window to be cleared as a risk. Moreover, it likely means you have had one or more prior to that concussion and didn't show symptoms. Any scouting group worth their salt puts a big red flag next to him. Having a concussion at QB before you even get out of college is a huge risk category, and that is amplified by the fact that Tebow earns his keep running QB dives into 300lb lineman.

So next time, stop and think before you post.

Wait, should write Idiot or Moron in bold to punctuate my point?

Sections
Shortcuts