Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7881761/nfl-bans-four-players-new-orleans-saints-bounty-roles

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year

Wow.  I... did not see THAT coming.  I thought 4 games TOPS for Vilma, and fines for everyone else.

Just... wow.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Wow, the comments on that article are coming so fast, you can't read them.
    lol.
    Not sure if I agree with the suspensions as they now hurt other teams.
    Can they cut those players or are they stuck?  Do they count against their roster or is there a reserve for that?  I know they don't get paid but still.....
    Maybe a Million dollar fine would have been better.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year:
    [QUOTE]Wow, the comments on that article are coming so fast, you can't read them. lol. Not sure if I agree with the suspensions as they now hurt other teams. Can they cut those players or are they stuck?  Do they count against their roster or is there a reserve for that?  I know they don't get paid but still..... Maybe a Million dollar fine would have been better.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

"I'm sorry I extorted those monies from you. But, I'm now working for another company, so any discipline shouldn't follow me to the ne job!"

ROFLMFAO!!

These players who are no longer Saints (in oh, so many ways), committed the offense, so they will need to bear the brunt of any discipline handed out. Sorry, but I'm sure the league told all teams that any defensive player they looked to sign WOULD be subject to whatever penalty that may be dished out. They knew what potentially could happen to them when they signed them. They took the risk. My bet is that they stay on the roster (would have to be) and not get paid. Other than their pride and wallets, nothing is injured, so IR isn't an option.

Now they, too, have some time to sit and reflect on what they did. Like how'd they feel if THEY were the focal point on a biunty, or if Drew was taken out in a game, and it surfaced that a bounty was paid for the hit. Something tells me they'd all be feeling different if Drew's arm was no longer able to toss a football 50 feet, let alone 50 yards. Same for Saints fans in Wheredat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year : "I'm sorry I extorted those monies from you. But, I'm now working for another company, so any discipline shouldn't follow me to the ne job!" ROFLMFAO!! These players who are no longer Saints (in oh, so many ways), committed the offense, so they will need to bear the brunt of any discipline handed out. Sorry, but I'm sure the league told all teams that any defensive player they looked to sign WOULD be subject to whatever penalty that may be dished out. They knew what potentially could happen to them when they signed them. They took the risk. My bet is that they stay on the roster (would have to be) and not get paid. Other than their pride and wallets, nothing is injured, so IR isn't an option. Now they, too, have some time to sit and reflect on what they did. Like how'd they feel if THEY were the focal point on a biunty, or if Drew was taken out in a game, and it surfaced that a bounty was paid for the hit. Something tells me they'd all be feeling different if Drew's arm was no longer able to toss a football 50 feet, let alone 50 yards. Same for Saints fans in Wheredat!
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Have to look into that and confirm that.  Some of these guys (like Fujita) where signed two years ago no??  I don't think any of this was out in the public or known to other teams when they signed these guys.  I think the teams that did sign them are getting a raw deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year : "I'm sorry I extorted those monies from you. But, I'm now working for another company, so any discipline shouldn't follow me to the ne job!" ROFLMFAO!! These players who are no longer Saints (in oh, so many ways), committed the offense, so they will need to bear the brunt of any discipline handed out. Sorry, but I'm sure the league told all teams that any defensive player they looked to sign WOULD be subject to whatever penalty that may be dished out. They knew what potentially could happen to them when they signed them. They took the risk. My bet is that they stay on the roster (would have to be) and not get paid. Other than their pride and wallets, nothing is injured, so IR isn't an option. Now they, too, have some time to sit and reflect on what they did. Like how'd they feel if THEY were the focal point on a biunty, or if Drew was taken out in a game, and it surfaced that a bounty was paid for the hit. Something tells me they'd all be feeling different if Drew's arm was no longer able to toss a football 50 feet, let alone 50 yards. Same for Saints fans in Wheredat!
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Understand what you're saying but did the league name the 27 players under investigation?  (with the exception of Vilma)
    Just wondering, since no one is assured of a roster spot, if they have an out?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I liked Vilma when he was coming out of college and was NOT happy to see the Jets take him. I was happy when he left the Jets.

My own feeling on all of this is that they should be throwing the book at everyone involved. They were endangering individual's careers. That is way beyond the pale (even if it has any sort of history in the NFL).

I think it ironic that Vilma was apparently not pleased that they "blind sided him" (my words) by having him hear about the suspension via TV! I think the irony of it went over his head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

This just continues the trend IMO of the NFL coming down with penalties that are far too severe.  I'm not condoning the behavior.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Statement from Goodell as to why these 4 and not the 22 to 27.

"In assessing player discipline, I focused on players who were in leadership positions at the Saints; contributed a particularly large sum of money toward the program; specifically contributed to a bounty on an opposing player; demonstrated a clear intent to participate in a program that potentially injured opposing players; sought rewards for doing so; and/or obstructed the 2010 investigation," Goodell said in a statement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]This just continues the trend IMO of the NFL coming down with penalties that are far too severe.  I'm not condoning the behavior.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]
    He HAD to come down hard and fierce.  The NFL is going to have a big lawsuit to defend with concussions and previous player safety issues.  Had they simply brushed this under the rug, it could have come back to bite them in the near future in a court of law. 

As we've seen, the NFL and the commissioner doesn't appreciate being lied to and ignored.  Had the Saints coaches and players all come clean the first time, the punishments would probably be a lot less severe.

On the flip side for the Saints...they have the cap room necessary to sign Brees now! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

In your heart if you intended to cripple a man and end his career, I would think a lifetime ban would be appropriate

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Have not been a Goodell fan .. but...

I think he has looked at issues that could hurt the league
    in the long run and decide to act.

What I like about him is that he found out what was really
    happening and then told eveyone to stop - anyone who kept
    going should have his clock cleaned - just like in Spygate.
    When the commsioner say stop - and you dont' - you deserve
    what you get.

It is the same as with Harrison and Suh- clean it up or you are out!!

And Goodell is correct

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good

I just hope the NFLPA doesn't come out and support them. If they do then they are saying 4 players are more important then all the other players in the league. Playing with intensity is one thing, and if players get hurt then that's part of the game but, intentionally trying to knock players out of the game and paying to knock them out is something completely different. A hard clean hit won't risk the other guys career or even worse his life, but a hit that is intended to knock a player out of a game can risk a lot more then just that player leaving the game.

I hope this is a strong message across the league. Don't hit to injure

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think sports leagues need strong and relatively independant Commissioners. Teams and players are only concerned about themselves, and you need a strong league office to manage the 'product' without selfish interests.
    I think these penalties are appropriate, and am only surprised that there were only four players suspended. I suspect that all four of these guys were on record with league investigators denying that there was a bounty program back in 2010.
    As others have said - the coverup is often worse than the crime. And the arrogance of continuing a program after 2010 is what brought out the hammer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]Statement from Goodell as to why these 4 and not the 22 to 27. "In assessing player discipline, I focused on players who were in leadership positions at the Saints; contributed a particularly large sum of money toward the program; specifically contributed to a bounty on an opposing player; demonstrated a clear intent to participate in a program that potentially injured opposing players; sought rewards for doing so; and/or obstructed the 2010 investigation," Goodell said in a statement.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

i.e. he went after the ones he had enough evidence to hold up through an appeal by the Players Association. Smart move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Well deserved

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I apparrently am in the vast minority.  I don't think any of the players should have been suspended.  I think the coaches own all the responsibility here. 

They are meant to be mature and exhibit ethics.  I can pretty well guarantee you that if Greg Williams offered up bounties for player as a Pats coach or any other coach some players would participate.  I mean they are going to hit people anyway, so if someone gets injured why not collect the money.

It's almost like an entrapment.  Most people wouldn't steal a soda from a store, but if you offered a thousand dollars to someone to steal a soda you would get people to do it.  But the crime would not have happenned if you didn't creat the temptation.  IMO, the coaches created this, they ran it, they should hold the responsibility, and I'd end it there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

deserved and appropriate. let's see if any player will be dumb enough to try that again. for that reason, the action is probably going to be effective too.

it was basically a contract hit to cripple someone. i wonder why the guy is not yet in jail. 

imo... that the hit was to be done in the context of the game is no different from contracting a hitman to murder someone but making it look like an accident.

if a mobster who put a lot of money in the vikings game put up that bounty, there would be no question it was a contract hit. why should it matter that it was a player who put up the bounty. the intended effect on the target is the same.

that the bounty was small does not matter either. 

people who think the penalty was too much do not realize that not acting strongly on this could be perceived as not doing enough to prevent a potentially illegal act... or not doing enough to ensure player safety - a potential magnet for future lawsuits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm gonna go'head and agree with the safeguarding parochial traditionalists here on this one...  Imho, the stem of exacting penance for any group wrongdoing, should always- And righteously of course, inevitably blossom downwards.  You wanna pluck some rotten fruit out of your orchard, Well You pluck the nasty fruit right on up and smash it right on the ground...but by all means, just leave that poor base be- It didn't do anything to anyone, right?

I mean who really here is bearing the TRUE burden of Lord Goodell's punitive disfavor, penalty-wise?  The 1 or 2 guys suspended for a half game or so, OR that poor Franchise & Owner whom got those not 1, but 2(!)*cough-midrounddraftpicks-cough cough*, BRUTALLY torn away straight from their greater person (sorta like being violently r#ped, if you need a fitting anology for this particular punishment)?  

That poor, poor Franchise and Owner...  Can't even IMAGINE the type'a he!! they're goin' through right now.  After the post traumatic stress disorder from this unfair sentencing, Saints'll probably end up closin' shop altogether- penniless owner ending up in a state-sponsored decrepit nvthouse for the remainder of his life or somethin' close to that...   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

[QUOTE]I'm gonna go'head and agree with the safeguarding parochial traditionalists here on this one...  Imho, the stem of exacting penance for any group wrongdoing, should always- And righteously of course, inevitably blossom downwards.  You wanna pluck some rotten fruit out of your orchard, Well You pluck the nasty fruit right on up and smash it right on the ground...but by all means, just leave that poor base be- It didn't do anything to anyone, right? I mean who really here is bearing the TRUE burden of Lord Goodell's punitive disfavor, penalty-wise?  The 1 or 2 guys suspended for a half game or so, OR that poor Franchise & Owner whom got those not 1, but 2(!)*cough-midrounddraftpicks-cough cough*, BRUTALLY torn away straight from their greater person (sorta like being violently r#ped, if you need a fitting anology for this particular punishment)?   That poor, poor Franchise and Owner...  Can't even IMAGINE the type'a he!! they're goin' through right now.  After the post traumatic stress disorder from this unfair sentencing, Saints'll probably end up closin' shop altogether- penniless owner ending up in a state-sponsored decrepit nvthouse for the remainder of his life or somethin' close to that...   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Hello my old friend Lazz,
    I must agree with your assessment of this, "obligatory fiasco" brought to bear by mutton heads within the organization.
    I, as the usual conspiary theorist, have always felt something was going on that smelt like a bad can of 8 day old open tuna fish left in the sun 4 degrees north of the equator east of Bangladesh.

If the NFL braintrust wish to sell this product and extend it world wide then they must conduct and install in house cleaning to the extent of near perfection, after all, this isnt the Hanson's and the Kansas City Chiefs Hockey Team, got any foil coach?

Those that must be punished, will be punished!
    Long Live, "Tenacious-D"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]This just continues the trend IMO of the NFL coming down with penalties that are far too severe.  I'm not condoning the behavior.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

I don't know nyjoseph, In my industry being unethical to a much less extreme would get you fired.  He'll have a job waiting for him just like the 2 resently re-employed Felons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suspensions are out, Vilma gets a whole year : Hello my old friend Lazz, I must agree with your assessment of this, "obligatory fiasco" brought to bear by mutton heads within the organization. I, as the usual conspiary theorist, have always felt something was going on that smelt like a bad can of 8 day old open tuna fish left in the sun 4 degrees north of the equator east of Bangladesh. If the NFL braintrust wish to sell this product and extend it world wide then they must conduct and install in house cleaning to the extent of near perfection, after all, this isnt the Hanson's and the Kansas City Chiefs Hockey Team, got any foil coach? Those that must be punished, will be punished! Long Live, "Tenacious-D"  
    Posted by Stommpper[/QUOTE]

Lol, seriously stommper...Let's just be honest with this one here, right? 

Goodell worked for The Jets, He's buddy-buddy with Rex Ryan (not there at the time, I know)- VERY close to The Owner...  Just really close ties with the organization.  And the guy's a whitebread beauracrat pr#ck who never even played the game-  Sheez, Elitist Aryan Poster=Roger Goodell. 

Punishment for New England for the crime that- Right up until SpyGate's Fallout, Most EVERY, and even in us longtime NFL Fans, thought wasn't even an actual crime...  I thought cameras were everywhere- It's why they covered their mouths when calling in plays, and why they changed up hand signs game by game...so?  No taping of practices...so...?  1 Day prior to SpyGate you'd be hard-pressed to find 1 outspoken person deeming this to be a real issue...

Punishment for NE's Org and Top Brass on a whole?  Far worse based on the 2 Offences in question. 

But 1 bad guy that you hate through your already set vested interests of the past, is A-O.k....  2 Rotten Trees=NOT A GOOD thing for the greater perception of your Orchard.  Ya GOT a "Bad Guy."  He's a VERY good bad guy...  Ya hate'im anyway and the Media hates'im=NICE...

But someone's gotta punished here-  Weight of the large-scale violent crime, CERTAINLY Deems this a MUST.  Only option (when you're Lord Goodell- with Lord Goodell's values)?  Punish the peons...  Not a hard sell- Really, they pulled the trigger, So WhoTF cares?  Someone's gotta hang.  Hang the group less people care care about, and whom have less resources and less sway.  

It is what it is...  I only start caring when people start b#llsh#tting that it was the "Absolutely CORRECT Call."  If that moment never comes, honestly- I'll never care.  But if and when it does... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I, as the usual conspiary theorist, have always felt something was going on that smelt like a bad can of 8 day old open tuna fish left in the sun 4 degrees north of the equator east of Bangladesh."

I had one'a those once...  Tellin'ya: heart-burnnnn Cit-y.

Sections
Shortcuts