Swagger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Swagger

It appears to be the new word of the week.  Everyone assumes Rex Ryan brings a "swagger" to his ball club, something that was lacking when Man-gina was at the helm.

My question is, does Ryan have as much "swagger" and confidence as being reported, I mean he sure has to repeat himself over and over and over, it's almost like he's trying to reassure himself because he has a false sense of confidence.  He repeatedly talks about how NE has a better coach and QB, which is clearly true at this point, but I believe he'll use it as an out if his team loses.  Essentially stating, well I told you they had a better coach/QB to get a laugh from the NY media bozo's.

Personally I think all this trash talk is getting annoying, shut up and play football, if you're gonna talk the talk, you sure as hell better be able to walk the walk.  Makes me even more thankful to have BB running the show with a culture of "let your play do the talking" or "speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

GO PATS! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Swagger

In Response to Swagger:
    [QUOTE]It appears to be the new word of the week.  Everyone assumes Rex Ryan brings a "swagger" to his ball club, something that was lacking when Man-gina was at the helm. My question is, does Ryan have as much "swagger" and confidence as being reported, I mean he sure has to repeat himself over and over and over, it's almost like he's trying to reassure himself because he has a false sense of confidence.  He repeatedly talks about how NE has a better coach and QB, which is clearly true at this point, but I believe he'll use it as an out if his team loses.  Essentially stating, well I told you they had a better coach/QB to get a laugh from the NY media bozo's. Personally I think all this trash talk is getting annoying, shut up and play football, if you're gonna talk the talk, you sure as hell better be able to walk the walk.  Makes me even more thankful to have BB running the show with a culture of "let your play do the talking" or "speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." GO PATS! 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

well, if you can walk the walk - then swagger can play a role in how teams prepare for you.  On the other hand, the Patriots have done a pretty good job of performing well on the field - but I'd love to see them get more amped up on the field - at the right time (like during a game changing turnover).  Sometimes, I sense that their intensity isn't there - nothing wrong w/ being even keeled - but sometimes - an emotional response can be a good thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Pats fans are making too much of this.  Its a big game and he is trying to rally the troops by saying they are not afraid. 

Do you expect him to forfeit the game before it is played?

I like it I am tired of the "they are a good team.  We just going to go out and try to play our best game." bs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Swagger:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Swagger : well, if you can walk the walk - then swagger can play a role in how teams prepare for you.  On the other hand, the Patriots have done a pretty good job of performing well on the field - but I'd love to see them get more amped up on the field - at the right time (like during a game changing turnover).  Sometimes, I sense that their intensity isn't there - nothing wrong w/ being even keeled - but sometimes - an emotional response can be a good thing.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

On the field I agree, you need to be amped, play with intensity, try and intimidate the other team but still play with a clear head.  Off the field before the game though?  Why talk?  What does it accomplish?  

Belichick's culture hasn't stopped NE from smashing heads and taking names on the field.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Pats fans are making too much of this.  Its a big game and he is trying to rally the troops by saying they are not afraid.  Do you expect him to forfeit the game before it is played? I like it I am tired of the "they are a good team.  We just going to go out and try to play our best game." bs.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

How is it any bigger than any other conference game a la week 1? 

Nothing I said, so you you're on your own on that one.

You think he says the same thing to the team behind closed doors?  Thats his approach with the media, why tell the media anything?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think the Jets just have a false sense of swagger. If they win sunday's game the "swagger" becomes real to them. 

I'll pull a Ryan and admit the the Jets have a better defense than the Patriots, but that's where it ends. I wouldn't say the Jets outmatch the Patriots at any other position. Brady said it best, "let your game do the talking". The whole Patriots team came alive in those two final drives. Not only did the offense score two TDs; the defense earned two sacks as well. The Patriots were a sleeping bear that the Bills backed into a corner, and it woke up to claw the Bills in the face. Instead of Ryan letting the Bear go back to sleep he decides that poking it would be a better idea. 

I hope the Patriots "embarrass" the Jets on sunday. Nothing would make me happier than to turn on Mike and Mike on monday to see Greenberg's face. He thinks "Dirty" Sanchez is Joe Namath reborn, and that the Jets defense is the best the league has ever seen. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

PATS fans are making too much of this game?  It appears all the trash talking is coming from NY.  It is Ny'ers that used the words like, "this is our SB", "this is our game of the year", etc...   I haven't seen too many quotes like that, if at all, from the Pats direction, fans, that is.

I do not visit other team forums, so, if I am to gauge fan support and reactions to games from what out of towners post here, I do not think Pats fans are any more fervent about their team than other cities.  When I do go onto forums for USAToday, Sporting News, what is noticable is the widespread hatred of the Pats organization and Steeler fans are the most fervent about their team on those boards.  They also get VERY defensive when you mention steroid use of their team in the 70's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

The Pats under Bilicheck have managed to keep their focus on game perpetration and off of defending something a player or coach has said.  As a fan I appreciate that the Pats under BB are the true standard of quiet strength in the NFL.

Never complain, never explain. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

how the hell can u have swagger when you have sucked for the past decade? ya so now all of a sudden, some fat jolly coach thinks hes gonna turn around a bunch of scrubs into good players, haha-_- Kerry rhodes is a decent player, but really, saying u are going to "embarass" a team that has owned your current team is really sad. Brady and Moss will have something for him, kinda like the anthony smith thing, hopefully they pull out some trickery to "embarass" mr. rhodes. Anyways, my prediction is 31-21 pats, i think sanchez is the real deal unfortunately, but he cant do it all by himself, even with the pats D hurting.

Brady-Moss 09-10'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Swagger : On the field I agree, you need to be amped, play with intensity, try and intimidate the other team but still play with a clear head.  Off the field before the game though?  Why talk?  What does it accomplish?   Belichick's culture hasn't stopped NE from smashing heads and taking names on the field.......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ u....we're pretty much sayin the same thing :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]Pats fans are making too much of this.  Its a big game and he is trying to rally the troops by saying they are not afraid.  Do you expect him to forfeit the game before it is played? I like it I am tired of the "they are a good team.  We just going to go out and try to play our best game." bs.

It's a good point, but there's a huge difference between confidence and Terrell Owens' style smack-talk.   Right now Ryan and Rhodes look no better than that.

Of course it's important for coaches and players to be confident, but seriously have you ever heard of a coach sending a mass voice mail to season ticket holders?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Swagger : I agree w/ u....we're pretty much sayin the same thing :)
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

GO PATS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

u.d.

I think that all of jabbathe nut's utterances are more to entertain and galvanize the NYC fan base - thus, increasing ticket sales - than to "pump up" the troops.

These are professional athletes....they are or should be excited about being in a big game...if they need to be publicly coaxed by their coach....then, these players may have to look for new employment. Yes, the cliches may be tiresome but smart coaches and players don't want to add further fuel to the already fiery atmosphere surrounding big games (i.e. playoff and/or rivalry games). As an example: have you ever heard Tony Dungy go out of his way to pull a jabbathenut style stunt...of course not....the same applies to well-known coaches through NFL history....can you imagine Shula, Landry, or Lombardi knowlingly providing their opponents with locker room material? I can't either.

So, why is it so strange for BB to use the same cliche-laden soundtrack for pre-game news conferences?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

B, t-REX is full of hot air kinda like this li' guy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]B, t-REX is full of hot air kinda like this li' guy    
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

H, that's true...however, the little guy is probably much more entertaining....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I don't know B I find rex pretty entertaining, I hope the Pats can make him eat his words.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

With Ryan, is it swagger or jiggle?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Yapple:

I think it's juggle....LOL!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

definitely a jiggle 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

H:

Until proven otherwise...I'll believe that, even at their worst, the Pats will overcome the Jets.

As to entertaining, jabbathenut has not learned that if you keep telling the same joke too many times...it becomes stale....like his schtick will soon be in NY...

Sections
Shortcuts