Switch Tackles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Switch Tackles

Why not put Vollmer on the left and Light on the right? Is it because Light can't play right tackle?-We already have seen Vollmer play the left side and handled himself well. Plus he has more upside, younger, bigger faster Etc. Comments appreciated fellow Pats supporters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: Switch Tackles

In Response to Switch Tackles:
    Why not put Vollmer on the left and Light on the right? Is it because Light can't play right tackle?-We already have seen Vollmer play the left side and handled himself well. Plus he has more upside, younger, bigger faster Etc. Comments appreciated fellow Pats supporters.
    Posted by jimmytantric

I agree, Light is too slow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Then stick Solder at Right guard. That would be a large O-line!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why?  Vollmer looked worse than Light last game and either way you need two good tackles. 

Right tackles aren't scrubs, they are important players.  You know where Michael Oher of The Blind Side plays?  It's not on the blind side, and he is by far the Ravens best tackle so they moved him where they thought he could make the biggest impact- the right side. 

I think the Pats may see Vollmer's size as better equipped to help open holes in the running game than against speed rushers who you see more of on the left side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

good point obvious you understand the xs and os better than me.   In Response to Re: Switch Tackles:
    Why?  Vollmer looked worse than Light last game and either way you need two good tackles.  Right tackles aren't scrubs, they are important players.  You know where Michael Oher of The Blind Side plays?  It's not on the blind side, and he is by far the Ravens best tackle so they moved him where they thought he could make the biggest impact- the right side.  I think the Pats may see Vollmer's size as better equipped to help open holes in the running game than against speed rushers who you see more of on the left side.
    Posted by shenanigan

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Re: Switch Tackles:
    Why?  Vollmer looked worse than Light last game and either way you need two good tackles.  Right tackles aren't scrubs, they are important players.  You know where Michael Oher of The Blind Side plays?  It's not on the blind side, and he is by far the Ravens best tackle so they moved him where they thought he could make the biggest impact- the right side.  I think the Pats may see Vollmer's size as better equipped to help open holes in the running game than against speed rushers who you see more of on the left side.
    Posted by shenanigan

They didnt move Oher back to the right side because it is important.  They moved him back because he was awful at LT last season!  He gave up a lot of sacks, plus, I think, he was the most penalized LT in the NFL last year (because he was getting beat all the time).

Vollmer, as a rookie played really good when Light was hurt.  It wasnt Vollmer who was getting beat, it was Connolly and Orhnberger that were getting beat.  I only watched the first 1/2 of that last game, but they were getting beat, not Vollmer except when Brady's arm was hit (fumble), but that was after about 5 seconds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Switch Tackles:
    In Response to Re: Switch Tackles : They didnt move Oher back to the right side because it is important.  They moved him back because he was awful at LT last season!  He gave up a lot of sacks, plus, I think, he was the most penalized LT in the NFL last year (because he was getting beat all the time). Vollmer, as a rookie played really good when Light was hurt.  It wasnt Vollmer who was getting beat, it was Connolly and Orhnberger that were getting beat.  I only watched the first 1/2 of that last game, but they were getting beat, not Vollmer except when Brady's arm was hit (fumble), but that was after about 5 seconds.
    Posted by gln826

Oher started his NFL career on the right and moved to the left after an injury, but the point is you don't just put anyone at right tackle.  I can't see switching tackles for the sake of switching them.  Light is a smaller tackle who hasn't shown any ability to play on the right.  I'm sure BB will assess where Vollmer and Solder will be in the future but since quickness is usually more important on the left I think the former TE Solder will have the advantage.

Maybe it would work better I just haven't seen much evidence to make me think so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

BB has said in the past that Light has had trouble adjusting to the right side when they've tried him there (a lot of the footwork has to be reversed when you switch sides and not everyone adjusts well).  Plus Light's strength is more pass blocking than run blocking, whatever weaknesses he has against the most athletic pass rushers.  

Light was rusty against Detroit because he hasn't practiced much yet and Detroit was his first game experience this year.  I think keeping Light left and Volmer right makes more sense.  My guess is that they're hoping Solder works his way into the starting line up at left tackle with Volmer staying right.  

Cannon is probably destined for right guard, but he might be able to play right tackle too.  I just think BB would rather see Volmer, Light, Solder, and Maneri handle the tackle positions and leave Cannon at guard where we need better starters and better depth. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I said this months ago. Bill B had Matt Light playing right tackle in the pro bowl. Belichick has said thats not his best position before. I wondered if he was trying to see how he would adjust. I know its the pro bowl but always the experimenter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

BB has said multiple times that Light is not a RT. Switching Light and Vollmer is never going to happen.

Sections
Shortcuts